We always knew it would end up like this eventually | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We always knew it would end up like this eventually

Maybe it's just me but I dont necessarily believe that JAB is going to retire when buddy's done. And for the record, I don't think that is a good thing

Maybe it's just me but I dont necessarily believe that JAB is going to retire when buddy's done. And for the record, I don't think that is a good thing

I don’t know, a few losing seasons and things will change. But JB’s best hope for a successful season will likely be Buddy’s senior year.

I think JB would’ve followed the plan had the NCAA not fkd him over. I think he wants the wins back.

Suppose SU held JB to his original timeline, and accepted his retirement after the 2017-18 season.

That would mean bringing in a new coach (and new staff) to a school still under NCAA sanctions for one more year.

Would it make sense to let JB stick around a few more years so the next coach can start off with a clean sheet?

JB says this will take a lot longer maybe 20 games because we have all freshman? Let’s see Washington So, Carey So, Sidibie Jr, Marek Jr, Hughes Jr, Buddy So, Braswell So....If Oshae stays we are better but we are not exactly young compared to a Duke, Kentucky, and other blue bloods. I think we are missing on recruiting big time and not convinced this new class is stellar either.

Buddy is only 7 games into his sophomore season. You don't think he will be significantly better as a jr and sr? He has already shown that he can be a long range 3 point shooter, over 40% from 3 in ACC play last year. Give the guy a break.

I don't.

Suppose SU held JB to his original timeline, and accepted his retirement after the 2017-18 season.

That would mean bringing in a new coach (and new staff) to a school still under NCAA sanctions for one more year.

Would it make sense to let JB stick around a few more years so the next coach can start off with a clean sheet?

I get your point but I'm not sure it matters much. The program is going to be so far from the 2013-14, No. 1 team in the country talk by the time he is done that pulling the bandaid off in 2017-18 would have at least given us one of the top assistant coaches in the country as our head coach.

I don't think JB leaves the sidelines unless it's health related or we get hit with a third probation and he's basically forced to go.

No inside info, but I don't think it's just Buddy's time here. This is who he is. Maybe I'm wrong and he bows out after Buddy graduates and we either get Hop back or some exciting up and coming coach.

My honest hope is there is a staff shake up and we get Troy Weaver-type to jump in and give JB one last hurrah with some improved recruiting. Otherwise, I think this is just who we are.

Chris Mack took the Louisville job knowing sanctions were coming.
Mike Hopkins was taking the job with the 1 year of Sanctions left.
Hop left because he knew JB didn’t want to retire.
The AD had no choice but to extend JB or destroy recruiting for 2017-2018 season as no recruits would sign with a team with no HC.

I can’t wait for the game to be tied against Duke with seconds to go and Duke goes to make an uncontested layup except JG3 strips the ball and runs down court and slam dunks it for a huge victory

All of that is plausible except JG3 dunking

That sums up what you know about college sports.
Tyler Roberson, Pascal Chukwu, Trevor Cooney are just off the top of my head prove your point wrong.
Our players don’t get better just because they stay longer.
That is the exact freaking point being made and you are laughing at someone for making it. Yet you think it shows you know more about college sports. I mean if it wasn’t so obtuse it would be hilarious.
Newaflash our player development has been poor the last 6 years.
What you come into our program has been pretty much what you will leave at since Michael Gbinije.

JB says this will take a lot longer maybe 20 games because we have all freshman? Let’s see Washington So, Carey So, Sidibie Jr, Marek Jr, Hughes Jr, Buddy So, Braswell So...If Oshae stays we are better but we are not exactly young compared to a Duke, Kentucky, and other blue bloods. I think we are missing on recruiting big time and not convinced this new class is stellar either.
I don’t agree with what JB said, but of the guys you listed only 2 of them have played significant minutes in college, and i guess a third if you count buddy. This team IS young; but the lack of talent is more obvious than in a long time

Tyler Roberson, Pascal Chukwu, Trevor Cooney are just off the top of my head prove your point wrong.
Our players don’t get better just because they stay longer.
That is the exact freaking point being made and you are laughing at someone for making it. Yet you think it shows you know more about college sports. I mean if it wasn’t so obtuse it would be hilarious.
Newaflash our player development has been poor the last 6 years.
What you come into our program has been pretty much what you will leave at since Michael Gbinije.
The players that would have gotten better left for the NBA and because the NCAA kneecapped us, we had no one behind them in development. it is a time tested fact that players who come in and have great freshman seasons regress as sophomores and then get stronger band better as jr's and sr's. The current roster is the first point at which there are enough players to allow underclassmen to sit and develop. The problem is, we don't have any upperclassmen and that won't cycle through for another 2 years. I do think this team will get better as the season goes on. And, as I pointed out, UVA, OSU and PSU are very strong tournament teams that are not good measuring sticks for our young squad. In case you didn't notice, Duke and Kentucky are having similar struggles and they didn't have a sanctions regime to get past.

I don’t agree with what JB said, but of the guys you listed only 2 of them have played significant minutes in college, and i guess a third if you count buddy. This team IS young; but the lack of talent is more obvious than in a long time

This team is definitely inexperienced but I think if we were able to keep this exact team for two more years we still wouldn’t be better than average. We are missing talent, size, strength, speed, basketball IQ all over the court and there seems to be little progress in development.

The players that would have gotten better left for the NBA and because the NCAA kneecapped us, we had no one behind them in development. it is a time tested fact that players who come in and have great freshman seasons regress as sophomores and then get stronger band better as jr's and sr's. The current roster is the first point at which there are enough players to allow underclassmen to sit and develop. The problem is, we don't have any upperclassmen and that won't cycle through for another 2 years. I do think this team will get better as the season goes on. And, as I pointed out, UVA, OSU and PSU are very strong tournament teams that are not good measuring sticks for our young squad. In case you didn't notice, Duke and Kentucky are having similar struggles and they didn't have a sanctions regime to get past.
Oh so Sophomore Tyler Lydon regressed?
Sophomore Tyus Battle regressed?
Sophomore BJ Johnson regressed?

Survey says?
XXX
Your point is just factually wrong.
You can have whatever opinion you want.

The NCAA sanctions aren’t why we sucked. You can say this till your blue in the face it doesn’t make it true.
We lost 3 scholarships those seasons you don’t care about facts. The previous 10 years from before the sanctions 2005-2014 do you how many of those seasons Jim Boeheim had 13 scholarship players and none of them were walkons on his roster?

1 year 2011-2012.
He always had 1-2 walkons on scholarship to help with the APR and reward them.
The sanctions basically took those scholarships away. We didn’t have room for them if JB recruited 10 scholarship players.

That is why your point is nothing more than an wishful excuse. 10 scholarships is enough to have a good team for Jim Boeheim’s rotations.
He has recruited poorly at PG and C and our player development has been poor for the players who haven’t left for the NBA.

Keep blaming sanctions.

The sentiment here feels awfully like it did last year right after the 2 losses at MSG. We felt helpless especially against Oregon, where Bol Bol played like a unicorn.

Then a week later we beat Ohio St on the road and feel good. Then we lose to ODU and Buffalo.

This year should be the same, albeit with a slightly different mix in the lineup. All young guys instead of Battle/Brisset failing to deliver

My point is we probably will be in the 16-19 win range, and could be dancing if we knock down 1-2 of the top ACC teams. We shoot so many threes we can do it if we get hot

I don't see us going 12-19 with 3 more cupcakes and a weak bottom of the ACC... let's not get too dejected and see if the younger guys get better. It is a fun group when they get going

FWIW, I think SU had the opportunity to move on in the wake of the probation.

I guess I'm in the minority, but as much as the punishment didn't fit the crime, I was thoroughly embarrassed that SU got hit, again, with major sanctions. I know a lot of what the NCAA ginned up against us was BS, but we also self inflicted a lot of wounds.

We had a HCIW, and it actually might have relieved a bit of the pressure if he had the built-in excuse that his first couple seasons were going to be impacted by sanctions.

FWIW, I think SU had the opportunity to move on in the wake of the probation.

I guess I'm in the minority, but as much as the punishment didn't fit the crime, I was thoroughly embarrassed that SU got hit, again, with major sanctions. I know a lot of what the NCAA ginned up against us was BS, but we also self inflicted a lot of wounds.

We had a HCIW, and it actually might have relieved a bit of the pressure if he had the built-in excuse that his first couple seasons were going to be impacted by sanctions.

Well that built in excuse is no longer valid

Buddy is only 7 games into his sophomore season. You don't think he will be significantly better as a jr and sr? He has already shown that he can be a long range 3 point shooter, over 40% from 3 in ACC play last year. Give the guy a break.

I think Maxwell's point sailed over your head. His Buddy reference of graduating early had nothing to do with Buddy's wishful growth as a hoopster, but rather his old man's growth trajectory and its lingering stagnancy it maintains on the program. Therefore, the sooner Buddy's gone, the sooner JB is as well.

Oh so Sophomore Tyler Lydon regressed?
Sophomore Tyus Battle regressed?
Sophomore BJ Johnson regressed?

Survey says?
XXX
Your point is just factually wrong.
You can have whatever opinion you want.

The NCAA sanctions aren’t why we sucked. You can say this till your blue in the face it doesn’t make it true.
We lost 3 scholarships those seasons you don’t care about facts. The previous 10 years from before the sanctions 2005-2014 do you how many of those seasons Jim Boeheim had 13 scholarship players and none of them were walkons on his roster?

1 year 2011-2012.
He always had 1-2 walkons on scholarship to help with the APR and reward them.
The sanctions basically took those scholarships away. We didn’t have room for them if JB recruited 10 scholarship players.

That is why your point is nothing more than an wishful excuse. 10 scholarships is enough to have a good team for Jim Boeheim’s rotations.
He has recruited poorly at PG and C and our player development has been poor for the players who haven’t left for the NBA.

Keep blaming sanctions.

Hallelujah! Dead on relative to sanctions and its true effect. Sanctions have been a contributing factor to this steady decine of ours, but carrying on as if it were the lion's share reason is simply convenient & choosing to ignore the larger underlying causes. In the end, as always the case, people will see/believe what they want to see/believe.

Some part of me held on to hope. Clinging to nostalgia and a narrative. I’m curious where the ardent JB supporters stand now.

I knew this team at best was a borderline bubble team but I never thought OSU and ped St would blow our doors off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom