We are a young team | Syracusefan.com

We are a young team

K

K Otto XLIV

The thing that worries me though is how our players seem to regress. The RBs, the OL, the LBs, the DBs have all taken steps back. Are we all overrating our young players or is there something wrong?

I think as coaches get more film, they see more tendencies, and figure out ways to expose our youth, and our staff.

Not having Williams hurt today. Our secondary is too young and too thin as it is. Scissum really struggled. Whigham was Whigham. Even when he does something right (great play on a screen), the wrong thing happens (he doesn't finish the tackle when he has the guy completely wrapped up). And that's our veteran on the unit.

Frustrating game.

We have a QB in Dungey.
We have RBs in Fredericks, Philips, Strickland
We have WRs in Ishmael, Estime
We have DL in Thompson, Clark, Pickard

We are losing a lot of experience at OL and our LBs have been young.

Our secondary is awful.

The thing that worries me though is how our players seem to regress. The RBs, the OL, the LBs, the DBs have all taken steps back. Are we all overrating our young players or is there something wrong?
Most are first year players and many are true freshman They are competing well against older p5 teams. They did almost and should have won this game. Dungey has made a lot of mistakes the past 2 weeks typical of a true freshman. I'm sure many of the other young players are doing the same thing there is no substitute for experience.

Chip said:
I think as coaches get more film, they see more tendencies, and figure out ways to expose our youth, and our staff. Not having Williams hurt today. Our secondary is too young and too thin as it is. Scissum really struggled. Whigham was Whigham. Even when he does something right (great play on a screen), the wrong thing happens (he doesn't finish the tackle when he has the guy completely wrapped up). And that's our veteran on the unit. Frustrating game.

And Virginia seemed to find ways to defend Dungey and our offense in the second half.

But we almost never seemed to find an answer for their screen plays.

Most are first year players and many are true freshman They are competing well against older p5 teams. They did almost and should have won this game. Dungey has made a lot of mistakes the past 2 weeks typical of a true freshman. I'm sure many of the other young players are doing the same thing there is no substitute for experience.

How many mistakes did he make today?

Good question. I think OL regression is due to change in position coach. They were solid under Adkins & Perles.

Subpar DB play is mostly due to scheme. Shamarko & Reddish are the only DBs I'd say didn't regress. Eskridge, Morgan, Whigham are examples of either lack of development or regression. The scheme asks too much of marginal talent. Even talented kids (Eskridge) struggle.

RBs is a total mystery to me - perhaps S&C is part of the problem.

I think a lot of our injuries are due to recruiting speed at the expense of size & strength. Too many smaller kids being asked to take on bigger opponents.

I watched as Virginia announced their starters prior to the game and 20/22 starters were upperclassmen. Other two were sophs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom