We better not take MTSU lightly | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We better not take MTSU lightly

Come Sunday, Cinderella will find herself in a game with an entirely different dynamic. I wish her well.

I agree with the first half, but not the 2nd. Unless you mean we're Cinderella. ;)

lol, how bad would that be to be both the first to lose to one in the first round, and then the first to lose to one twice overall?

I'm curious to see what the betting line on this is going to be.

I would never bet against SU. But, if it's out of line, I might tell a friend or two to do so.

You said MTSU had some "bad loses". Then you mentioned the SU v. SJU game. Notice any inconsistencies in your logic there?

If SU doesn't play well, MTSU will hand us our asses.

And we don't play "well" all that often.

There's more parity in college basketball than there has ever been . Look at the performance of the lower seeds in this Tourney. Tell you anything?

The logic is that because a team has a big victory means nothing going forward.

We don't need to play well to beat this team, they're not good, they played great today, kudos to them but that's all the stock they've built up this year. They're a 15 seed for a reason.

I think everyone can agree that if we play like we did today, we'll win by 10. No question. JB plays that zone for these types of tournaments. Teams have a real hard time simulating it in practice and it's pretty hard to prepare for in one day.

I'll take our chances!!!! LGO!

They're really not that good. They've got some bad losses and went 13-5 in a one bid garbage conference. Ball dropped their way today and I'm not saying they didn't earn the win, and not saying we should take them lightly, but we shouldn't have a problem putting them away.

Aye, yi, yi!

I would never bet against SU. But, if it's out of line, I might tell a friend or two to do so.

Syracuse -6.5

You just read my mind! I was thinking about making my next post about what the line would be. What pops into my head without thinking is MT favored by 3. They looked that good today. Due to name recognition and our huge win, I think Vegas may make us a 2 or 3 point favorite instead, or maybe slightly more. Youre right though, if it's much more than that, I'd put a call in to your friends, even though these teams today showed that anything is possible!

Syracuse -6.5

Wow, I'm surprised but I'm not. Between our brand and that huge win (albeit against Dayton, lol) they may feel that's a good spot to keep it even. Very curious to see if it moves!

I'd ask you if you saw that in your eyeball test today, but after seeing your earlier posts I see youve already started research. Good work, your a step up on me!

The logic is that because a team has a big victory means nothing going forward.

We don't need to play well to beat this team, they're not good, they played great today, kudos to them but that's all the stock they've built up this year. They're a 15 seed for a reason.

News Flash!

We aren't that good either. We lost 5 of our last 6 games. This is the second game we have won since the middle of February.

The Dayton coach was right in his comments at half time. If they had been able to hit their layups, the halftime score would have been UD 34 - SU 20.

MTSU shot almost 60% from 3, 56% overall. They are supposedly terrible FT shooters but if you take away Upshaw's 2-7, they shot 11-14. SU will win if the team plays like they did today, but inconsistency is the name of this team.

News Flash!

We aren't that good either. We lost 5 of our last 6 games. This is the second game we have won since the middle of February.

The Dayton coach was right in his comments at half time. If they had been able to hit their layups, the halftime score would have been UD 34 - SU 20.

Ok, but they didn't hit their layups. If we didn't make dumb turnovers we win by 50, see, I can play that game too.

We may not be good but you're going to put us in the MTSU's of the world? Wow, I didn't realize our brand fell that hard.

Wow, I'm surprised but I'm not. Between our brand and that huge win (albeit against Dayton, lol) they may feel that's a good spot to keep it even. Very curious to see if it moves!

I'd ask you if you saw that in your eyeball test today, but after seeing your earlier posts I see youve already started research. Good work, your a step up on me!

Already up to -7

MTSU shot almost 60% from 3, 56% overall. They are supposedly terrible FT shooters but if you take away Upshaw's 2-7, they shot 11-14. SU will win if the team plays like they did today, but inconsistency is the name of this team.

Yeah, amazing how one of the best 3PT% teams in the country is also one of the worst at shooting free throws. MTSU is like Mike Gbinije, the team

MTSU played out of their minds today. They have quality players and are going to give us fits with that 1-3-1 they ran today...

Ok, but they didn't hit their layups. If we didn't make dumb turnovers we win by 50, see, I can play that game too.

We may not be good but you're going to put us in the MTSU's of the world? Wow, I didn't realize our brand fell that hard.

The "Brand" is still OK.

That must be what is confusing you.

This isn't about the SU "brand". Instead it is about this year's teams at this point in the season and a team with a weaker "brand" that just pretty soundly defeated a #2 seed.

If "brand" counted for much, MSU would have beat them.

MTSU doesn't have to play the aggregate of SU teams since the 1980's. They only have to play this one.

The "Brand" is still OK.

That must be what is confusing you.

This isn't about the SU "brand". Instead it is about this year's teams at this point in the season and a team with a weaker "brand" that just pretty soundly defeated a #2 seed.

If "brand" counted for much, MSU would have beat them.

MTSU doesn't have to play the aggregate of SU teams since the 1980's. They only have to play this one.

This game is being called "the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history". What are the chances this team beats a capable team the next game out after playing the game of their life? This is a team we would schedule in the first part of the season and run them up and down our court. They got lucky and beat MSU, lightning will hardly strike again.

Yeah, amazing how one of the best 3PT% teams in the country is also one of the worst at shooting free throws. MTSU is like Mike Gbinije, the team

That part makes my sports center top 10 list of the day. Nice.

Townie72 said:
News Flash! We aren't that good either. We lost 5 of our last 6 games. This is the second game we have won since the middle of February. The Dayton coach was right in his comments at half time. If they had been able to hit their layups, the halftime score would have been UD 34 - SU 20.
why would we have scored less exactly?

I dont get the line. We, a 10 seed, are 6.5 pt favorites over a team that handled #2 MSU all day, never trailed. #4 Duke, on the other hand, is only favored by 6 over Yale, who upset the less mighty(than MSU) 5 seed, Baylor. That comparison is something I find a bit odd. Either Vegas seems to be with Two3, or they are preying on some people who bet names and dont watch the games, until the line adjusts itself. I'm happy to hear any takes. 690 West, where art thou?

Two3, as for line move, my board still has it the same, though I wouldnt be shocked about anything I hear right now.

Last edited:
This game is being called "the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history". What are the chances this team beats a capable team the next game out after playing the game of their life? This is a team we would schedule in the first part of the season and run them up and down our court. They got lucky and beat MSU, lightning will hardly strike again.

I guess "upset" has to do with expectations" before the game.

Now that we have seen the two teams play we now know --- or should know --- that these teams were pretty evenly matched. "Luck" had little to do with what we all just witnessed.

Of course, some will look at it and consider it a "fluke".

If this were the SU team with Carmelo and Hak and GMac, I'd agree.

But this is the SU team with a far weaker cast that has been erratic all through the season and has significant flaws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom