We better not take MTSU lightly | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We better not take MTSU lightly

So a grand total of 1 15 seed has made it to the sweet 16? Well, all I have to say is that it would be embarrassing (not as embarrassing as MSU) if we let them beat us.

Yes, but in all these other cases the 15 Seed wasn't playing another upset winner. In this case that upset winner would be SU, the almost uninvited.

And of course, you are claiming to know the difference between a 15 seed and a 13 seed.

Is it possible that watching too many games on TV during a two-day period can induce AMNESIA.

Because I'm starting to think that some of our fans are suffering from AMNESIA in which they have forgotten about the previous four months and can only remember this afternoon. (Although they do have faint glimpses of the Glory Days)

We have all suffered through the ups and downs of this season. We limped into the end of the season and got off the bubble somehow. (I still don't understand how after losing four of our last five games and getting knocked out of the ACC tourney in the first round). But I'll take it.

We then went on to upset a higher seeded team in a game in which the opponent set a record for missed lay-ups.

We watched our next opponent beat a 2 Seed (MSU).

And some of us are now licking our chops assuming that this next game will be easy and that our entrance into the Sweet 16 is all but inevitable.

It has to be AMNESIA.

Well, we certainly couldn't have asked for a better situation. As I was watching MSU vs. MTSU, I was thinking, "Wow. This is working out a whole lot better than I ever thought it would".

But for fans of this particular SU team to scoff at the idea that MTSU, a 15 seed, can beat us seems crazy to me.

If MTSU was unimpressed with MSU, I don't think they are too worried about a 19 win SU team.
I haven't seen many posts here saying Sunday's will be easy and Sweet 16 is inevitable but I'll admit I don't read every post of every thread. Are there a lot of them?

I said earlier in this thread that Cinderella teams scare me (not meaning SU, obviously). Plenty of these low ranking teams have gone on impressive tournament runs taking down lineups of better teams. SU has been on the losing end of too many of those. I always think back to Vermont.

I think we win this, but I think it might be a tough one.
I'll admit to it; this SU team scares me.

Re your first sentence - You may be right and I hope you are right. But prior to today if somebody had written that sentence on a message board I would have expected the men in white coats to take them away. But admittedly MSU had an awful defensive game. Gotta give MT credit though. Some of their guys were very effective off the dribble.

Its funny you say that. Through a stroke of luck I had the day off work yesterday, and spent it at the bar with some buddies watching basketball. After putting a few back, I got in this argument because I was saying that all the experts were wrong and that Michigan State really isn't all that good. I got a lot of incredulous looks and I doubt anybody remembers today. I wish that game was played yesterday, I would have looked like the man.

A record number of #1 seeds lost in their conference tournaments this year. MTSU is a 15 seed, through and through. They looked great today, but that's not who they are. Again, see: Norfolk State.

In all likelihood, Michigan State had a little too much fun last night and paid the price today. We're not going to make that mistake.

I know we lost a lot of second round games in the 80s, but these are the five we've lost since 1990:

1992 - UMass, the three seed to our six seed. We weren't supposed to win that game.
1995 - Arkansas, the two seed to our seven. Lost in OT because someone who I won't name called a time out we didn't have. The Razorbacks went to the title game that year and won it the year before.
2001 - Kansas, the four to our five. Shumpert had a scratched cornea.
2011 - Marquette, the eleven to our three. A conference foe that we lost to during the regular season.
2014 - Dayton, another eleven vs. three. This one's the anomaly, but they did go on to the Elite Eight.

We tend to do well in the second round because of our system. One day is not enough time to prepare for the zone. To be successful, it helps if you're a better team, a conference opponent, or if you have a former Syracuse player on your coaching staff. MTSU is none of those things.

A record number of #1 seeds lost in their conference tournaments this year. MTSU is a 15 seed, through and through. They looked great today, but that's not who they are. Again, see: Norfolk State.

In all likelihood, Michigan State had a little too much fun last night and paid the price today. We're not going to make that mistake.

I know we lost a lot of second round games in the 80s, but these are the five we've lost since 1990:

1992 - UMass, the three seed to our six seed. We weren't supposed to win that game.
1995 - Arkansas, the two seed to our seven. Lost in OT because someone who I won't name called a time out we didn't have. The Razorbacks went to the title game that year and won it the year before.
2011 - Marquette, the eleven to our three. A conference foe that we lost to during the regular season.
2014 - Dayton, another eleven vs. three. This one's the anomaly, but they did go on to the Elite Eight.

We tend to do well in the second round because of our system. One day is not enough time to prepare for the zone. To be successful, it helps if you're a better team, a conference opponent, or if you have a former Syracuse player on your coaching staff. MTSU is none of those things.

That Kansas game in 2001 was the matchup from hell. Eric Chenowith, Drew Gooden, and Nick Collison vs Billy Celluck.

Its funny you say that. Through a stroke of luck I had the day off work yesterday, and spent it at the bar with some buddies watching basketball. After putting a few back, I got in this argument because I was saying that all the experts were wrong and that Michigan State really isn't all that good. I got a lot of incredulous looks and I doubt anybody remembers today. I wish that game was played yesterday, I would have looked like the man.

Good call. No doubt.

That Kansas game in 2001 was the matchup from hell. Eric Chenowith, Drew Gooden, and Nick Collison vs Billy Celluck.

No kidding. Living here in KC, I knew I better keep my trash talking to a minimum leading up to that one.

Is it possible that watching too many games on TV during a two-day period can induce AMNESIA.

Because I'm starting to think that some of our fans are suffering from AMNESIA in which they have forgotten about the previous four months and can only remember this afternoon. (Although they do have faint glimpses of the Glory Days)

We have all suffered through the ups and downs of this season. We limped into the end of the season and got off the bubble somehow. (I still don't understand how after losing four of our last five games and getting knocked out of the ACC tourney in the first round). But I'll take it.

We then went on to upset a higher seeded team in a game in which the opponent set a record for missed lay-ups.

And some of us are now licking our chops assuming that this next game will be easy and that our entrance into the Sweet 16 is all but inevitable.

It has to be AMNESIA.

Well, we certainly couldn't have asked for a better situation. As I was watching MSU vs. MTSU, I was thinking, "Wow. This is working out a whole lot better than I ever thought it would".

But for fans of this particular SU team to scoff at the idea that MTSU, a 15 seed, can beat us seems crazy to me.

If MTSU was unimpressed with MSU, I don't think they are too worried about a 19 win SU team.

The committee doesn't take how you finished the season into account anymore. Perhaps you don't remember the change because of AMNESIA.

Our worst loss of the season was against St. John's, but Hopkins was the coach, not Boeheim. You probably forgot due to AMNESIA.

Our worst loss with Boeheim at the helm was on the road against Florida State. Every other loss was against a tournament team or a team that would have been a tournament team if not for a self-imposed probation. How could you not know that? Oh yeah, AMNESIA.

We're better than our record and our seed. Never mind what could happen. We should win on Sunday, I think that's all anyone is saying.

This will be a tough game. Plain and simple. They compete and play hard. I think the way they mix it up on defense could cause us problems. We need good Roberson to show up because he can be a beast verse them. Shade toward Giddy. Some of their guys had slower shots but as I said in a previous thread, they are one of the best spot up shooting teams in the country. We have to make them put it on the deck. They switch everything man to man. I belive this is a game Silent G will shine big time taking advantages of mismatches. Let's hope he is hitting.

Not second round, but the Alabama loss in 2004 was the ultimate overlook game for me. I was already looking forward to UConn as we were 1-1 so it was a wide open Final 4 shot. I don't remember much about the game other than the defense was terrible.

Not second round, but the Alabama loss in 2004 was the ultimate overlook game for me. I was already looking forward to UConn as we were 1-1 so it was a wide open Final 4 shot. I don't remember much about the game other than the defense was terrible.

That was the infamous press conference where someone asked Boeheim if he was relieved that 'Bama beat #1 Stanford and he replied with, "No, because that just means they're a better team." They did get a week to prepare, which makes a difference.

were you in the "they don't deserve it crowd?"

It has to be AMNESIA.

Welcome to sports. Nothing to do with amnesia. It is always "what have you done for me lately."

Most recently they won their opening game of the tourney, getting ready a taste of revenge if you believe in that stuff. And the 15 beat the 2, a 2 that was a matchup nightmare for us. I don't see anyone here looking for Sweet 16 tix yet. But every Syracuse fan would have signed up for it this morning. And twice on Sunday.

they are great off the dribble and really do a good job spacing, which augments their dribble drive ability.

I think that our zone will give them trouble though as they've likely never seen anything like it and have minimal prep time.
i dont think the talent gap is that great, but our advantage is in our system.
Dont worry- calhoun, dixon and barkley will give them advice on how to beat the zone

image.jpg
Wonder which pair will make more during their respective careers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom