We Cant Fn Inbound the Ball... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We Cant Fn Inbound the Ball...

Even Usain Bolt is slow when hes standing still. You don't have to be quick or fast to be successful inbounding the ball. You just have to have a plan and guys have to keep moving and cutting. Screens are allowed too.
Disgusting. Zero excuse not to have 3-5 inbounds plays depending on location time score. Its truly unbelievable. Can you imagine Few, Self, Rick, Cal, basically any top college coach let alone a HOF coach not putting a huge emphasis on this after the first blown game let alone multiple games. Its simply beyond comprehension.

Disgusting. Zero excuse not to have 3-5 inbounds plays depending on location time score. Its truly unbelievable. Can you imagine Few, Self, Rick, Cal, basically any top college coach let alone a HOF coach not putting a huge emphasis on this after the first blown game let alone multiple games. Its simply beyond comprehension.
Furthermore, this would not have been acceptable at SU 6 years ago.

This has been a sabbatical year for JB, plain and simple. His aim was to showcase his two kids, consequences be damned. Nothing else factored in. Like... at all. Not inbounding, not guard play (unless it's Jimmy bringing it up), and certainly not roster composition and depth.

One hell of a retirement perk. And now it's time.

I wonder how some of these endings would have changed if Marek had stayed for a 5th year playing mainly power forward and forward. He had an excellent handle, could see over the defense, pass well to help beat pressure. He also improved his free throw shooting every year ending up shooting over 85%. No doubt about our ball handling weaknesses but Marek with his ability to bring up the ball, having an almost 2 assists to 1 turnover average (3.3 to 1.7) could have been a difference maker in some of these close games overcoming defensive pressure.

I wonder how some of these endings would have changed if Marek had stayed for a 5th year playing mainly power forward and forward. He had an excellent handle, could see over the defense, pass well to help beat pressure. He also improved his free throw shooting every year ending up shooting over 85%. No doubt about our ball handling weaknesses but Marek with his ability to bring up the ball, having an almost 2 assists to 1 turnover average (3.3 to 1.7) could have been a difference maker in some of these close games overcoming defensive pressure.
Or he would have eaten into Jessie's time. Serious. But yes he had an all around game.

Or he would have eaten into Jessie's time. Serious. But yes he had an all around game.
With Jesse’s emergence this year I would think he could play his more natural forward position again finally.

We had these problems last year too.

On the very last play Cole threw the ball and the play started before Buddy and Joe even saw it. They were both super late on their breaks.
Collectively, Joe and Buddy are an unbelievably bad backcourt on the inbounds. They show very little urgency, hustle, or awareness.

It's incredible really.

And while I do blame them for it, because this is almost an entirely an effort thing, I mostly blame JB for allowing his key guys that get all the backcourt minutes to be this habitually terrible at it and completely disinterested in making simple plays in late game situations.

This has been a sabbatical year for JB, plain and simple. His aim was to showcase his two kids, consequences be damned. Nothing else factored in. Like... at all. Not inbounding, not guard play (unless it's Jimmy bringing it up), and certainly not roster composition and depth.

One hell of a retirement perk. And now it's time.
In my opinion, best post of the day. Well done ESG

Collectively, Joe and Buddy are an unbelievably bad backcourt on the inbounds. They show very little urgency, hustle, or awareness.

It's incredible really.

And while I do blame them for it, because this is almost an entirely an effort thing, I mostly blame JB for allowing his key guys that get all the backcourt minutes to be this habitually terrible at it and completely disinterested in making simple plays in late game situations.

We can compete with most teams ... for38 minutes ... the last 2 if our opponent is losing and pressing is when our lack athletic ability shows. Losing Edwards and Symir really hurt because they were athletic and would of made a difference.

Yep, when you recruit pipe cleaners for the front court and guys with cement shoes for the backcourt, you kinda get what you get.

It's incredible really.

I look at this particular issue a little differently. The last thing you want to do as a coach when you have guards that lack speed and quickness is limit the space they have to try to get open. What i mean by that is, IMO you don't start them off close to the baseline and then have them move toward the baseline to try to get open. Move them back to the foul line, 3 point line, even the half court line (did that all the time when I coached) and have them cut hard before they sprint forward. Screens work better as well they are set further from the baseline. You have to cut hard when you are faced guarded like that. The more room to move, the better. Ideally, the guard receiving the inbound pass should be moving, not standing still, and, if possible, already heading up court when he gets the entry pass.

This is a coaching/philosophy issue more than it is a player issue.

The HOFer assembled a generally unathletic and physically weak roster. Well done.

The inbounds problem has been going on for years... It's part of Boeheim's teams.

I mean, the baseline inbounds from Paul Harris were often horror shows.

This year was worse because we are not good enough to paper over these forced errors and win in spite.

I look at this particular issue a little differently. The last thing you want to do as a coach when you have guards that lack speed and quickness is limit the space they have to try to get open. What i mean by that is, IMO you don't start them off close to the baseline and then have them move toward the baseline to try to get open. Move them back to the foul line, 3 point line, even the half court line (did that all the time when I coached) and have them cut hard before they sprint forward. Screens work better as well they are set further from the baseline. You have to cut hard when you are faced guarded like that. The more room to move, the better. Ideally, the guard receiving the inbound pass should be moving, not standing still, and, if possible, already heading up court when he gets the entry pass.

Good post

The only team I've seen that is consistently as inept as this year's team at inbounding the ball is the Washington Generals.

This is beautifully stated, but... I've seen our guys enough times not paying attention to when the inbounds starts and just stand there, then loaf around and not move with any urgency and purpose, to think they just suck at this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom