We could have had John Harbaugh? | Syracusefan.com

We could have had John Harbaugh?

With my 20/20 hindsight-o-meter, it just hurts to read that...

"In 2005, he used every connection he had to try to get an interview at Syracuse. But the school was hell-bent on hiring another NFL assistant, Greg Robinson, who won only 10 games in 4 years before getting canned."

That is amazing. Simply amazing.

I never got the GRob hiring ever. The dude was a crappy D-Coordinator with the Broncos that won the SB based on Terrell Davis and John Elway. Elway retired and the Denver defense sucked so Robinson was fired by Shanahan then he goes to Kansas City and their defense sucks. He became a CO-Defensive Coordinator at Texas and had Derrick Johnson leading the Longhorns they still lose to Oklahoma with GRob as D-Coordinator and somehow because Pete Carroll vouched for the guy Dr. Gross hired the guy. I realize John Harbaugh had no heading coaching experience, but Harbaugh had his father's lineage and Bo Schembechler's endorsement.

This story is kinda like the analogy Bill Simmons gave the Detroit Pistons in the 2003 draft choosing second, drafting Darko is like grabbing the check with 100 dollars on when there were 2 100 million checks Dwayne Wade and Carmelo Anthony and 1 10 million dollar check Chris Bosh. Hiring GRob is like getting that 100 dollar check.

This is exactly why I tire of some of the experts on this board when they criticize a coaching hire by saying "but he's never been an offensive coordinator", "we need someone with head coaching experience" etc. This guy was an NFL Special Teams coach and DB coach when he got the head coaching job at Baltimore. He's a great coach and sometimes that is more important than specific experience.

If there's an archive where you can read the coaching thread from back then, I was pushing for Harbaugh for SU. He was a great ST coach who asked Andy Reid to shift him to a defensive coaching position specifically to aid in his prep for an HC spot.

OTOH, whaddaya figure? 2 years tops here?

Which, to state the obvious, is/was infinitely preferable to the alternative. A bad defensive coach on a team whose offense was so great that is overcame the D's deficiencies.

Bleepin' Dick Vermeil.

Damn. I am going to start banging my head against the wall for the next hour thinking what might have been.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Wow. Just cruel to post that here. I'm going to go sit in a closet and cry.

I never got the GRob hiring ever. The dude was a crappy D-Coordinator with the Broncos that won the SB based on Terrell Davis and John Elway. Elway retired and the Denver defense sucked so Robinson was fired by Shanahan then he goes to Kansas City and their defense sucks. He became a CO-Defensive Coordinator at Texas and had Derrick Johnson leading the Longhorns they still lose to Oklahoma with GRob as D-Coordinator and somehow because Pete Carroll vouched for the guy Dr. Gross hired the guy. I realize John Harbaugh had no heading coaching experience, but Harbaugh had his father's lineage and Bo Schembechler's endorsement.

This story is kinda like the analogy Bill Simmons gave the Detroit Pistons in the 2003 draft choosing second, drafting Darko is like grabbing the check with 100 dollars on when there were 2 100 million checks Dwayne Wade and Carmelo Anthony and 1 10 million dollar check Chris Bosh. Hiring GRob is like getting that 100 dollar check.

I'm very good at reading people and have a great track record. And I will never understand how GRob even made it to a second interview. Within 5 minutes of watching his intro presser, I knew it was going to end badly.

To strike a somewhat different tone, it would all have depended on how well he recruited and what staff he put together to that effect. Our talent had slid, but was not terrible. However, the HC at that time had to be a sell sell sell kinda guy, to overcome our facilities issues relative to peers. I am not confident that he would have been outstanding here - potentially too much to overcome, and I don't think there is enough evidence to say how well he would have done at recruiting in the college game ca. 2005.

Completely misleading article.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

We could have had Charlie strong and 50 other coaches doesn't mean they were ready or would have been successful here

In all of the endless discussion since 2005 about replacing Pasqualoni and hiring Robinson, how is it that no one heard any mention of Harbaugh? How could this be the first time?
This seems pretty hinky.

I'm very good at reading people and have a great track record. And I will never understand how GRob even made it to a second interview. Within 5 minutes of watching his intro presser, I knew it was going to end badly.

I said the same thing. I was probably in the minority but could not have been more disappointed the day he was hired.

In all of the endless discussion since 2005 about replacing Pasqualoni and hiring Robinson, how is it that no one heard any mention of Harbaugh? How could this be the first time?
This seems pretty hinky.
There HAD been mention of Harbaugh.

Or, at least, I mentioned him. Might've been the only one, but I don't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom