We got a roster !!! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We got a roster !!!

Why does that matter?
I dont see how it doesnt. Either the head coach is changing and advancing his ways or the new O line coach is instilling ideas that we havent had in maybe a decade within the development of that group.

This to not to talk crap about the other or blame.

I dont see how it doesnt. Either the head coach is changing and advancing his ways or the new O line coach is instilling ideas that we havent had in maybe a decade within the development of that group.

I think the plan was always for the OL to put on more weight/size. Schmidt was hired in February I think so he didn't have any input on the incoming class, and the guys in the program were already completing offseason workouts.

I think the plan was always for the OL to put on more weight/size. Schmidt was hired in February I think so he didn't have any input on the incoming class, and the guys in the program were already completing offseason workouts.
And that's fair, OL Coach may not have had enough time to really make effect on the physical portion of this group. For whatever reason it seems that we always have talked about this group growing up but haven't seen it. With how young most of this team is and how they are recruiting may be the effect of that as well.

Biggest thing that sticks out to me are the o-line weights. Barclay up to 290! Cruz coming in at 295! And our 2 Hawaiian guys are big mofos, 365 is a little heavy, try to get him down to 340 but he’s a mauler from the videos I remember seeing. I really like the future of the o-line tbh. I think we have some players there. I really like our receivers we brought in this year too, I think one of them makes a big splash year 1. Also watch out for Simmons the kid from New Mexico State. I think he plays a lot of downs for us this year.
Bigger ain't always better.
syracusefatoffensivelineman_original.jpg

Thank you for the detailed reply. I fully appreciate and understand (you'll have to take my word for that) the points you are making. I do not think it's as simple as "having some big bodies" to stop the run or for gap integrity. But, there is no question in my mind that there is a big disparity in DL talent compared to the rest of the ACC apart from maybe Duke. Further, size is definitely part of the equation in my mind, but I am not talking about size without talent and strength.

On the other hand, it is not lost on me that making any sweeping statements about the defense is not very smart until we see what White can do with a full offseason to install the full 3-3-5 package. I'm looking forward to seeing how the scheme works with the talent at hand.

it also helps that we’re putting 230lb LBs on the field now.

I think one of the freshman receivers is going to be a factor early. They all have excellent size.
Gadson. Also Jones

What if the new OL coach convinced the HC?
It really doesn’t matter, IMO. If it works, both will get credit and if it doesn’t both will be looking for new jobs

Dino preferred slimmed down OL because of tempo. If we are less reliant on tempo, size might be more important

No walk-on Josh Kosciol, the short lineman from Honoeye Falls

Just looking through Bio's and noticed the Pic for Neil Nunn is of Jacobian Morgan, mixed up guys because they're both #15. Smh. Lol

I get your concern, Im sure you are thinking some big bodies will stop people from being able to run at us. Its a common thought for everyone. You have to understand that 320 pound 1 tech's get manhandled too. Every 4-3 defensive roster has 300 pound interior lineman. Do they all stop the run? No. There is two ways to control gaps. You can do it by having a big body sit and anchor or you can have faster athletic bodies stunting and moving. Movement causes just as many problems. If not more. Even on short yardage goal line plays. Most important thing is keeping gap integrity. You are not guaranteed to have that in any scheme. In your mind, it makes you feel better that we have big DT's. I get it but Ive seen first hand how big slow DT's can screw up this scheme. We are gonna give up rushing yards at times. We also will have the chance to shut down some good rushing teams. That's what this scheme allows you to do. It gives you more options to stop teams that try to impose their will.

Money nailed this (as usual). This is why I am curious as to whether or not they have tried Elmore at the nose. In a traditional 4-3 he would be a real b*tch to block at 3 tech. Willing to bet they could do some really cool things with him in the middle of the front 3 on our D too.

Dino preferred slimmed down OL because of tempo. If we are less reliant on tempo, size might be more important
Servais was smaller than some tight ends last year.

I'll tell you what. I dont trust some of these heights. No way all these guys are gaining a inch or two. lol
Weights seem never to be accurate. Oline a number at 300.
I think the true freshman weights may be correct other than that you never know. Some of these guys weights haven’t changed in three years. Either we have to question s&c or know the staff is not worried about the correct weight and height as it appears on the roster. Figure they’re not to concerned since they initially accidentally left players off.

Weights seem never to be accurate. Oline a number at 300.
I think the true freshman weights may be correct other than that you never know. Some of these guys weights haven’t changed in three years. Either we have to question s&c or know the staff is not worried about the correct weight and height as it appears on the roster. Figure they’re not to concerned since they initially accidentally left players off.
Ive been diagnosing the roster for years. Never have I seen so many guys heights get changed.

Money nailed this (as usual). This is why I am curious as to whether or not they have tried Elmore at the nose. In a traditional 4-3 he would be a real b*tch to block at 3 tech. Willing to bet they could do some really cool things with him in the middle of the front 3 on our D too.
He is thin enough to move now. Probably has great lateral movement. I couldnt say that before.

What if the new OL coach convinced the HC?
It really doesn’t matter, IMO. If it works, both will get credit and if it doesn’t both will be looking for new jobs
Matter vs interesting? Does it really matter why Keger wants to know? Maybe just a fun fact like someone’s weight.
I am kind of curious now also. If Dino is behind the change, maybe he is changing other parts of the offense also. Maybe this one fact will point to whether or not we use our tight ends more in the receiving game.
Since we get so few, every clue we get is important and cannot be overlooked. We’ve made that mistake in other years and we can’t afford to do it again this year.

I love Elmore but I don't think he has the explosive nature we want from our D line off the snap which, as Money also eloquently laid out, is what we game plan around for our D line to be effective and disruptive.

I love that Elmore is 25 lbs lighter and focused on that h back role. There is a potential universe where a 230 lb running QB lines up with 265 lb Rhino and 255 lb Big General in the backfield this year and all run downhill at 225 lb LBs and 190 lb D backs for fun.

I love that Elmore is 25 lbs lighter and focused on that h back role. There is a potential universe where a 230 lb running QB lines up with 265 lb Rhino and 255 lb Big General in the backfield this year and all run downhill at 225 lb LBs and 190 lb D backs for fun.
Watch 2018 Dungey clips. He follows Elmore all of the time.

Matter vs interesting? Does it really matter why Keger wants to know? Maybe just a fun fact like someone’s weight.
I am kind of curious now also. If Dino is behind the change, maybe he is changing other parts of the offense also. Maybe this one fact will point to whether or not we use our tight ends more in the receiving game.
Since we get so few, every clue we get is important and cannot be overlooked. We’ve made that mistake in other years and we can’t afford to do it again this year.
Ya, I wasn't going to dive that deep in the rabbit hole about it but that was simply what my posting was about.

Seems like going through a number of rosters of teams playing 3-3-5 or 3-4-4 there are not too many 300 pound + DL's. West Virginia has 0...SDSU 1 Boise State a couple of 305lb ers. Arizona State has a little used 340 lb nose guard... and Clemson...no beefcakes 315 lb tops. Speedy mobile DLinemen are in demand.
OLinemen are getting smaller too.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom