We got a roster !!! | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We got a roster !!!

I dont see how it doesnt. Either the head coach is changing and advancing his ways or the new O line coach is instilling ideas that we havent had in maybe a decade within the development of that group.

This to not to talk crap about the other or blame.

Don’t worry, he takes any questions about HCDB as an insult and is then triggered

You getting me excited.

No reason not to be. Hope springs eternal in preseason.

Last year was a fluke with injuries and such but we're not a 1-10 team talent wise and we've added some interesting new players and coaches.

Anyone that's been a fan long enough knows first hand what a 1-10 roster looks like and those teams didn't have the bulls we've got all over this years team.

Last year was a fluke with injuries and such but we're not a 1-10 team talent wise and we've added some interesting new players and coaches.

Anyone that's been a fan long enough knows first hand what a 1-10 roster looks like and those teams didn't have the bulls we've got all over this years team.
Yup, prevailing wisdom has gotten to the point that 2018 was the outlier but we are about to find out 2020 was the outlier

Mark. It. Down.

Matter vs interesting? Does it really matter why Keger wants to know? Maybe just a fun fact like someone’s weight.
I am kind of curious now also. If Dino is behind the change, maybe he is changing other parts of the offense also. Maybe this one fact will point to whether or not we use our tight ends more in the receiving game.
Since we get so few, every clue we get is important and cannot be overlooked. We’ve made that mistake in other years and we can’t afford to do it again this year.
If that’s how it was stated, I wouldn’t have responded the way I did. I’m curious about that stuff to

And that's fair, OL Coach may not have had enough time to really make effect on the physical portion of this group. For whatever reason it seems that we always have talked about this group growing up but haven't seen it. With how young most of this team is and how they are recruiting may be the effect of that as well.

I really do think our numbers were fine on the OL last year if they were able to stay healthy, or just have to overcome a couple injuries. 2019 was a different story, the staff did a bad job managing the roster and making sure we had quality guys ready to fill in for the graduation losses, and they ended up paying a price for it. Now we have a good mix of upperclassmen all over the potential starting lineup, and other upperclassmen serving as backups. This gives the incoming Freshmen time to develop in the weight room and on the practice field before they go on the depth chart.

I agree. Good points.

So - some positive gains outta some of the young'uns.

Nice to see Benson up to 240 - that's legit TE weight, and with his speed - WHOA NELLIE!!
(now we just need to throw the damn ball to the TE's :rolleyes: )

Thought Garth Barclay would be a perpetual OL project, but he's at 290 now, at 6'7".

All of the incoming Frosh OL already have pretty respectable weights, 275-295 range.
Solid! (literally!)

Bleich at 320 is a very large human.
Ellis at 6'6" 365 is a mountain of a man.

Rob Hanna is the Taj of DB's - 6' and 170 is skinny.
Eat a sammich, young man!!

So nice to see that the vast majority of our DB's are 6' or taller, and the handful of "shorter" guys are 5'11' or 5'10'.
No more spunky Liliputians getting run over by FSU's pro-size WR's.
Ellis is actually much more than that. Definitely could use some s&c to get him in game shape.

Was really impressed with Mangunson size. He is a good looking athlete, as well as Barclay. Bradford looked to be close to ACC ready as far as size goes to.

A few players have new numbers:

Marlowe Wax 2
Stefon Thompson 7
Garrett Williams 8

I don’t know why we still have to have three wide receivers wearing numbers in the 20s when there are more traditionally appropriate numbers available but maybe HCDB has his reasons.

A few players have new numbers:

Marlowe Wax 2
Stefon Thompson 7
Garrett Williams 8

I don’t know why we still have to have three wide receivers wearing numbers in the 20s when there are more traditionally appropriate numbers available but maybe HCDB has his reasons.

Players have to EARN a single-digit #.
That's how they do at Cuse these days. It's an honor.

Which is why these 3 young men then chose them, as they had earned that opportunity, and took advantage of it.

Players have to EARN a single-digit #.
That's how they do at Cuse these days. It's an honor.

Which is why these 3 young men then chose them, as they had earned that opportunity, and took advantage of it.
I love the practice of kids earning the right to single digit numbers. If you can’t have 44….this is the next best thing.

Helps people quickly spot the playmakers on the team watching the game

Ellis is actually much more than that. Definitely could use some s&c to get him in game shape.

Was really impressed with Mangunson size. He is a good looking athlete, as well as Barclay. Bradford looked to be close to ACC ready as far as size goes to.
I looked closely at Ellis at the open practice.

Yes, he has a small gut but it is a minor part of the weight he carries. He does not have the pear shape a lot of 350 pound players his age have (like say Qadir White).

Ellis has a massive frame. His shoulder and hips are astonishing broad. He is so wide and his torso is just massive. All the way from the top of the shoulders to his butt.

He looks fundamentally different from all the other oversized OL and DL on the team. He is like a different species of human.

The last time I felt like this about a new SU football player was the first time I saw Blake Bednarz. Blake was a massive OL from the Buffalo area who played at SU in the mid to late 1980s.

At the time, most of our OL were in the 6'3, 275 range. Blake, even as a true frosh, was more like 6'5 310. And like Ellis, he didn't have much of a gut. He was super broad, naturally strong, barely had a neck and heck, his head was square shaped.

He was just our first true jumbo next generation OL.

Ellis is the generation after.

I don't know if he is going to be a factor right away (I believe Blake ended up starting as a true frosh; he had a great career at Syracuse). But based on appearance only, OMG, he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

I looked closely at Ellis at the open practice.

Yes, he has a small gut but it is a minor part of the weight he carries. He does not have the pear shape a lot of 350 pound players his age have (like say Qadir White).

Ellis has a massive frame. His shoulder and hips are astonishing broad. He is so wide and his torso is just massive. All the way from the top of the shoulders to his butt.

He looks fundamentally different from all the other oversized OL and DL on the team. He is like a different species of human.

The last time I felt like this about a new SU football player was the first time I saw Blake Bednarz. Blake was a massive OL from the Buffalo area who played at SU in the mid to late 1980s.

At the time, most of our OL were in the 6'3, 275 range. Blake, even as a true frosh, was more like 6'5 310. And like Ellis, he didn't have much of a gut. He was super broad, naturally strong, barely had a neck and heck, his head was square shaped.

He was just our first true jumbo next generation OL.

Ellis is the generation after.

I don't know if he is going to be a factor right away (I believe Blake ended up starting as a true frosh; he had a great career at Syracuse). But based on appearance only, OMG, he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.
I was looking at Bednarz profile on Cuse.com and saw this blurb about his Senior Season (I believe that was the '89 team)

"Senior year: ECAC All-Star…veteran member of the offensive line picked best in the country preseason by The Sporting News…started all 12 games…invited to the Japan Bowl…"

Buffalo guy who also picked SU over Michigan and PSU amongst others.

I was looking at Bednarz profile on Cuse.com and saw this blurb about his Senior Season (I believe that was the '89 team)

"Senior year: ECAC All-Star…veteran member of the offensive line picked best in the country preseason by The Sporting News…started all 12 games…invited to the Japan Bowl…"

Buffalo guy who also picked SU over Michigan and PSU amongst others.
He was one of the first big time OL recruits for Coach Mac.

One of our best OL ever. Largely forgotten today, which is a shame.

He was one of the first big time OL recruits for Coach Mac.

One of our best OL ever. Largely forgotten today, which is a shame.

I remember them. They moved into the O-line in '87, taking 4 of the five positions, (with Craig Stoeppel), and eventually all 5. A HUGE reason we went form 5-6 to 11-0.

Turnell Sims, Blake Bednarz, John Flannery, Gary McCummings, Mike Bernard. I call them the "Cherry Bowl Group" because Coach Mac said going to that bowl, even though we lost, gave him the credibility to recruit those guys. .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom