We hate Notre Dame - let's unpack that | Syracusefan.com

We hate Notre Dame - let's unpack that

tenor.gif

When I began looking at colleges to attend in 1987 (dating myself, I know) my parents, who were both Syracuse grads sat me down and informed me that they would pay for me to go to any school in the country that I could get into. During the conversation, they also stated to me that should I choose to attend Penn State or Notre Dame, I was on my own.

The dislike has run deep in my family now for literally generations...

If you have any family that to went to ND you learn to hate the school.
They personify the term old money.
The arrogance of ND is off the charts.
Just because of that I would love to knock them out of the playoffs.
I bet Clemson hopes we lose so they get a de facto bye in the CFB if they drew ND.

coach lea is doing great things there as the dc. Hoping Shy has a great game and plays a lot. I remember during our visits coach lea wasn’t sold on shy when we first met. It wasn’t until he got him in the camp and started seeing him in the combine workouts and getting to coach him that he told Shafer to take him. Would love Shy to play well and show him he was right even if it’s from the other side line. Let’s hope coach lea’s guys have a bad day!

If Notre Dame alumni buy that Tim Brown Heisman and have it delivered to the football facility, I'll think of calling off the dogs come Saturday.

You know the scene in Rudy where the family sits around the TV watching the Irish? Well, that was my house too, and the only person in the room rooting for the domers to fumble, bumble and lose was me.

Here's hoping this happens on Saturday - I'll be rooting my azz off:

11QAbi3F22bgac.gif

I have told this story elsewhere but growing up in an Irish Catholic household my father wanted to go to Notre Dame. Then the game in 1961. He went to SU and never forgave them. The rest is history.

That said I personally loathe the fact the Domers have to make sure you know within the first ten seconds of any conversation that they went to NOTRE DAME. The arrogance drives me crazy...

The casual CNY football fan who “likes Cuse” but feels the need to have “another team” infuriates me to no end. That “other team” is almost always the Irish.

Weirdos. The rest of the country finally overcame the blatant bias and favoritism bestowed upon ND in the old days. They’re just another good program. Nothing special at all.

Here's a fun thought experiment. How many flat out fixed calls have you seen ND get at South Bend over the years? If someone could put together a tape of that, it would be shocking.

They won't join our conference for football because they are above that sort of thing.
They're undefeated this year and, in fairness, should get credit for a good season just like any other team. They beat Michigan (home, first game of the season), Pitt (home) and WF on the road. Whether they're playoff-quality remains to be seen.

What bothers me is the halo mentality surrounding the program. Not only do they have their own network contract, they're the only team to have a rep' on the bowl council. These benefits - and their fans opinions of themselves - often exceed actual achievements on the field.

We'll see what happens. They're talented, especially their D front 7. But I question whether they're as good as Clemson.

Last edited:
Their mascot is a gold hoarding central banker who parades around like he's so nice, but he would never give you a sliver of his gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom