We have a depth chart... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We have a depth chart...

Broyld as a DE? He's 220 lbs. I don't think so.

I have no problem moving Thompson to DE considering thats our biggest depth issue on the team. At TE, we have Parris and the next Provo coming in behind Wales, and are recruiting a bunch more TEs.

Looks like the defensive head coach stole a good one from the O for his side of the ball.
Broyld is currently listed at 223-he has a very big frame that I think could put on 20 pounds relatively easily.

I hear you, but apparently he had great hands, which will now be wasted. Makes much more sense to move Broyld, but maybe he wasn't willing.

Even with great hands, his overall athleticism would be wasted IF (and it's a big IF since none of us know for sure what the offense is going to look like) we don't implement an offense that uses a TE. It's great to have a TE with great hands and athleticism, but if we are using him in a limited capacity, I think it makes perfect sense to find another way to take advantage of his skill set and get him on the field.

As for Broyld, I will introduce this by saying this is based upon heresay although at least one of the people I heard it from I view as very reliable. I have heard for quite some time that what Broyld has in athleticism he makes up for by not understanding concepts and at times lacking desire. In high school I always heard he was a gamer, essentially doing the bare minimum in practice and then shining during games. You can get away with this in high school when you are head and shoulder above the rest. At the D1 level more players are at or near his level, therefore SU can afford to sit him and other players who don't give it their all in practice.

Not only that, he's so good he plays both ends of the line. At the same time. A legend is born.

I don't claim to know how good he will be, since he hasn't played a down of college football, but my saying he could be a dominant DE is no different than others saying he will be the offensive savior for SU as a TE.

As for Broyld, I will introduce this by saying this is based upon heresay although at least one of the people I heard it from I view as very reliable. I have heard for quite some time that what Broyld has in athleticism he makes up for by not understanding concepts and at times lacking desire. In high school I always heard he was a gamer, essentially doing the bare minimum in practice and then shining during games. You can get away with this in high school when you are head and shoulder above the rest. At the D1 level more players are at or near his level, therefore SU can afford to sit him and other players who don't give it their all in practice.

As plausable an explanation as I've heard for why he hasn't sniffed a starting spot...

They must have changed the depth chart, because I see Broyld listed all alone as the H-Back.

broyld on the depth chart.PNG

Anyone else think it's weird that we're putting all of our experienced linemen on the left?

Glad to see Clay Cleveland hung on to his starting job.:rolleyes:

Spruill back at MLB.

Wondering how they can put Thompson on the depth chart at DE when they've never seen him play there?

He was injured early in practice last August and didn't participate in spring practice.

Strange.

If Thompson had not been moved and listed as 2nd string DE - the 2nd unit would have been Albrecht - a walk on DT and someone named Kodua who is not even listed on the roster.

DE is officially the weakest unit on the team by a landslide.

And that could be a big problem. Are the other places on the defense strong enough to compensate if the DE spot is as weak as it looks? I'd like to think they are, but we won't know for a little while.

\DE is officially the weakest unit on the team by a landslide.

Also remember we've got Trevon Trejo and Tyler Marona coming in this year from JUCO so hopefully they are ready to contribute immediately. And then we've got Isaiah Johnson coming in who is listed at 270 lbs so he might be called on as well

Fwiw, I've been at Manley a lot the past month since the spring game. Always a lot of players around running, lifting, doing individual drills etc. All informal without coaches.

This Tuesday, Hunt was inside throwing passes to who I am pretty certain was Parris. Parris is a real well built kid and he showed some nice hands.

Hunt has decent height, but the one thing I notice of the team in general, especially lineman, is that we are short. A lot of good sized kids as to bulk, but we lack height.

Sent using my Commodore 64

As plausable an explanation as I've heard for why he hasn't sniffed a starting spot...

I should have also mentioned in my post that I sat behind Ashton at the Wake Forest game two years ago when the entire Milford Academy team attended the game and to say even two years ago he was a physical specimen is a huge understatement. As a HS player and in his limited playing time (splitting time with other QBs) at Milford I thought he looked like a stud most of the time. What I posted about his work habits and understanding of offenses was just a shot in the dark as to why he didn't show up on the original depth chart. Although now it looks like it may have just been a case of a grad assistant or work study student having an "oh s#!" moment when typing up the depth chart.

If Thompson had not been moved and listed as 2nd string DE - the 2nd unit would have been Albrecht - a walk on DT and someone named Kodua who is not even listed on the roster.

DT is packed with guys-No reason Manley and Coleman can't play DE-they won't be playing at DT this year

Also remember we've got Trevon Trejo and Tyler Marona coming in this year from JUCO so hopefully they are ready to contribute immediately. And then we've got Isaiah Johnson coming in who is listed at 270 lbs so he might be called on as well
My understanding is that Marona has some work to do in the weight room. I'd be surprised if he was a big contributor this year.

As plausible an explanation as I've heard for why he hasn't sniffed a starting spot...
I'm not 100% sold on the explanation that some players don't "give their all" in practice" as the reason for being "gamers."Some kids just get the rush in terms of emotion and adrenaline that occurs in games. They flat out can't make that play in practice that they are capable of doing in a game. A good coach must see that with some players. I really don't believe its a willful choice in play. I remain amazed what Broyld showed on one of his running plays when it came tocutting and changing direction from a person of his size. To me it was incredible and Ii want to see him get the ball in space which the OC couldn't figure out how to dfo last year. Not my only complaint from the now departed OC in Buffalo. I think we are going to love GM in that capacity.;)

DT is packed with guys-No reason Manley and Coleman can't play DE-they won't be playing at DT this year
DT is completely different than DE. While some of the DTs might play DE - they'd be non-factors with regard to pass rush. If they had DE skills, they'd be DEs.

If the TE spot was weak, you would not be feeling good about some OGs or OTs filling in. Argue as you may, but big typically slower DTs are as likely to become great pass rushing DEs as OGs are to become TEs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom