We have a depth chart... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We have a depth chart...

Isn't Donnie out with a torn ACL?
Yes, he is. Just found it curious since other players that didn't participate during the spring (Gully, Thompson) were assigned a place on the depth chart.

Maybe since they know he won't be able to contribute this year they didn't feel compelled to place him on the bottom of the chart.

DT is completely different than DE. While some of the DTs might play DE - they'd be non-factors with regard to pass rush. If they had DE skills, they'd be DEs.

If the TE spot was weak, you would not be feeling good about some OGs or OTs filling in. Argue as you may, but big typically slower DTs are as likely to become great pass rushing DEs as OGs are to become TEs.
FWIW-Manley is listed as a DE on the roster and Coleman is listed as being only 259 lbs.

They must have changed the depth chart, because I see Broyld listed all alone as the H-Back.

Anyone else think it's weird that we're putting all of our experienced linemen on the left?

Glad to see Clay Cleveland hung on to his starting job.:rolleyes:

Spruill back at MLB.

Biggest hint you can give that Loeb isn't going to start this year. Our QB will definitely be a righty.

Biggest hint you can give that Loeb isn't going to start this year. Our QB will definitely be a righty.
Even if that is the case, it still seems strange to me.

Also, I don't think the offensive depth chart showcases our base set.

Anyone else think it's weird that we're putting all of our experienced linemen on the left?
No, it's hard-nosed. HCSS doesn't care if opponents know we're gonna wanna run left most of the time. He's gonna put his top guys there and have at it while protecting the QBs blind side (sorry IGLQBCL, fight your way to the top of the depth chart and I bet those guys switch sides).

Plus, the alternative of mixing experienced and unproven players on each side means there will be question marks no matter where the play goes. Instead he has an area of strength to build from.

Some general comments...

West looked like our best WR by far in the spring. Flemming has always had the potential, it will be a great story if he can emerge as a senior and have a big season. Clark looked solid as well, I think he is our 3rd option at WR. Kobena should be a good situational player. There is room for 2 more in the WR rotation. Cornelius looked promising in the spring, Lewis wowed people in the fall and Funderburk might have the most potential of anyone in the group. I agree, the staff is sending him a message pairing him with a walk on at 3rd string.

Looks like they added Broyld as an H-back after forgetting about him initially. Believe he is still a big factor in the plans for the offense this season. They should have moved Jacob Green to H back as well. He was impressive in the spring too. If we have an extra scholarship (OX says so), I wonder if it goes to him?

The pistol formation needs a good fullback to be successful. Moving AAM there signals to me that we are going to use the pistol formation a lot and they want someone back there that can not only block but also be a factor running the ball. AAM might not like being moved but it will be the best thing for him in terms of getting PT and possibly a shot at the next level. I think he is listed on the 2nd team for motivational purposes as well.

Think Thompson was moved to DE because the staff realized the need for a DE who can pressure the QB, someone quick who can get to the outside edge. Welsh and Robinson are not bad at pass rushing but I think they are more contain types there, whose strength is more stopping the run. Think this says a lot about how the staff feels about Batten and maybe Moore too. Trejo will probably be the 4th DE just be virtue of showing up.

Marquis Spruill was listed at 6'2 223 pounds as a frosh. Now as a senior, he is listed at 6'0, 224. That is not a typical development path for a linebacker, or any college student for that matter. I wonder if he is becoming a neutron star? If so, his gravitational field should help him get more tackles and sacks. And fumble recoveries, I suppose.

Marquis Spruill was listed at 6'2 223 pounds as a frosh. Now as a senior, he is listed at 6'0, 224. That is not a typical development path for a linebacker, or any college student for that matter. I wonder if he is becoming a neutron star? If so, his gravitational field should help him get more tackles and sacks. And fumble recoveries, I suppose.

Likely just listed him wrong one year or the other BUT LB's generally end shorter than they start by virtue of delivering hits and compacting their spine. Would also depend on what time of day they are measured. Everyone is taller when they first get out of bed before gravity shrinks us. EX. I'm 6' 2.5 in the AM and 6' 1.5 late in the day.

Batten is the real deal. We are fine at TE. I am ok with the Ron Thompson move.

WR could be a position of strength for us. No one is proven, but we also have Estime coming in... he should be out kc returner from day one. kid is a burner. Speed we havent seen often lately.

I'm not 100% sold on the explanation that some players don't "give their all" in practice" as the reason for being "gamers."Some kids just get the rush in terms of emotion and adrenaline that occurs in games. They flat out can't make that play in practice that they are capable of doing in a game. A good coach must see that with some players. I really don't believe its a willful choice in play. I remain amazed what Broyld showed on one of his running plays when it came tocutting and changing direction from a person of his size. To me it was incredible and Ii want to see him get the ball in space which the OC couldn't figure out how to dfo last year. Not my only complaint from the now departed OC in Buffalo. I think we are going to love GM in that capacity.;)
I agree about the practice game thing. I coached youth for many years and there were just soem kids that were playmakers on game day. They worked as haerd as anybody in practice but didn't stand out. On game day they had the knack of being in the right spot or making just the right cut or a habit of bouncing off people. Some of it could be familiarity. Lets face it, in practice there are few surprises. Your teamates know your tendancies and frequently can sniff a play out. For some kids the difference is motivation of the coaches. In practice coaches tend to be more critical, while on game day its more of an us angainst them mentality and they motivate differently. My son was a great example of that. If you got in his face in practice he would almost shut down, didn't deal with criticism in front of his teamates well. On game day if you got in his face and told him to go knock somebodys head off he would growl and hop up and down and then go do it. FYI, none of this was from me. On our teams the coaches agreed to try not to "coach" or "motivate" our own kids.

Everyone is taller when they first get out of bed before gravity shrinks us. EX. I'm 6' 2.5 in the AM and 6' 1.5 late in the day.

Does it do the opposite to things that are fixed at one end? So if I'm a half inch in the morning, maybe I'd be an inch and a half late in the day?

Does it do the opposite to things that are fixed at one end? So if I'm a half inch in the morning, maybe I'd be an inch and a half late in the day?

Also depends on the weather/temperature but I think, if anything gravity, would be in your favor here.
3qhag3.jpg

Regardless, sorry to hear about your plight.

Spruill is over 6'0''. I'm 6' and he's taller than me by a few inches. Don't get their measurement.

Habeus Depth Chart!

My annual pitch: In another thread we were talking about honoring Larry "Cszonka" and also Jim Nance. Those guys used to play next to Floyd Little and each of them would gain 1000 yards and we'd have the bets rushing attack in the country. Later Penn State had the same thing with Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell. Larry and Franco were part of the first, (and, I still think, only two) 1000 yard tandems in the NFL. As late as 1987-88 Moose Johnson would gain 600-700 yards and Drummond/Owens would gain 1200-1300 yards at the tailback spot, in part because of Johnson's 600-700 yards.

When a quarterback fades back to pass, the defense doesn't know who he's going to pass it to and that's good. He might have a clear #1 receiver but he can't throw it to that guy all the time because the defense knows he's the clear #1. Why is it better for the defense to know who is going to get the hand-off on any running play?

If a player splits out, he's a pass-catcher. He might also help out with a down-field block. If he's in the backfield, he can still go out for passes. He can also run the ball. He can block for the quarterback or other running back. The quarterback can fake it to him and give it to the other running back, (or run it himself). He could take a direct snap or run a reverse. There's just far more offensive versatility when a player is in the backfield rather than split out.

I'm not asking to go back to the four man backfield we see in these Michigan highlights from their 1948 Rose Bowl win. But the things they can do with those guys in the backfield are remarkable compared with the very limited amount of deception or misdirection we see today:

All I'm asking for it to return to the Mr Inside/Mr. Outside concept that was so successful for many years. Football is cyclical. The option comes and goes. The middle guard/nose tackle disappears and reappears. Same with the Middle linebacker. The tight end is a blocker. Then he's a pass catcher. Then he's a blocker. Now he's a pass catcher again. The Wildcat was just the old single wing. Defenses are prepared to stop what they are used to seeing. they aren't prepared for Mr. Inside/Mr. Outside because they are used to the one back backfield, or one back with a lead blocker.

You've got to have a scheme that takes the best advantage of your talent. We have two bangers, Jerome Smith and Adonis Ameen-Moore and two "see ya later" guys, Prince Tyson Gulley and George Morris, (Devante MacFarlane could be a third). Why not use them in tandem with each other? It could give us the edge we are looking for.

Some general comments...

West looked like our best WR by far in the spring. Flemming has always had the potential, it will be a great story if he can emerge as a senior and have a big season. Clark looked solid as well, I think he is our 3rd option at WR. Kobena should be a good situational player. There is room for 2 more in the WR rotation. Cornelius looked promising in the spring, Lewis wowed people in the fall and Funderburk might have the most potential of anyone in the group. I agree, the staff is sending him a message pairing him with a walk on at 3rd string.

Looks like they added Broyld as an H-back after forgetting about him initially. Believe he is still a big factor in the plans for the offense this season. They should have moved Jacob Green to H back as well. He was impressive in the spring too. If we have an extra scholarship (OX says so), I wonder if it goes to him?

The pistol formation needs a good fullback to be successful. Moving AAM there signals to me that we are going to use the pistol formation a lot and they want someone back there that can not only block but also be a factor running the ball. AAM might not like being moved but it will be the best thing for him in terms of getting PT and possibly a shot at the next level. I think he is listed on the 2nd team for motivational purposes as well.

Think Thompson was moved to DE because the staff realized the need for a DE who can pressure the QB, someone quick who can get to the outside edge. Welsh and Robinson are not bad at pass rushing but I think they are more contain types there, whose strength is more stopping the run. Think this says a lot about how the staff feels about Batten and maybe Moore too. Trejo will probably be the 4th DE just be virtue of showing up.

I guarantee no quote, ever, on the West Virginia board has referenced neutron stars.

W
Fwiw, I've been at Manley a lot the past month since the spring game. Always a lot of players around running, lifting, doing individual drills etc. All informal without coaches.

This Tuesday, Hunt was inside throwing passes to who I am pretty certain was Parris. Parris is a real well built kid and he showed some nice hands.

Hunt has decent height, but the one thing I notice of the team in general, especially lineman, is that we are short. A lot of good sized kids as to bulk, but we lack height.

Sent using my Commodore 64
Who's short?

I agree about the practice game thing. I coached youth for many years and there were just soem kids that were playmakers on game day. They worked as haerd as anybody in practice but didn't stand out. On game day they had the knack of being in the right spot or making just the right cut or a habit of bouncing off people. Some of it could be familiarity. Lets face it, in practice there are few surprises. Your teamates know your tendancies and frequently can sniff a play out. For some kids the difference is motivation of the coaches. In practice coaches tend to be more critical, while on game day its more of an us angainst them mentality and they motivate differently. My son was a great example of that. If you got in his face in practice he would almost shut down, didn't deal with criticism in front of his teamates well. On game day if you got in his face and told him to go knock somebodys head off he would growl and hop up and down and then go do it. FYI, none of this was from me. On our teams the coaches agreed to try not to "coach" or "motivate" our own kids.

Big difference between not standing out in practice and not giving it your all. Most of the players I have coached who were or claimed to be "gamers" didn't work real hard during practice. They must believe Allen Iverson's rantings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom