We have to be ranked after this right, | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We have to be ranked after this right,

Looking at some of the preseason quarterback rankings, I find it amusing that McCord was sixth or seventh and DJ and Klubnik were number two and number three. If McCord transferred to either Clemson or Florida State, he would’ve immediately got the street cred that they have. never understood the love for either of them.
DJ being ranked that high was absurd, he had shown for two years that he stunk before stinking this year

CBS Sports just released the projected AP rankings as they always did on early Sunday. We are projected rank of 25th.

We'll see. We have a LOT of yuck to wipe off. Social media doesn't seem to know, yet. We will probably need to beat down Stanford. Can't look past them, but if McCord throws for 5TDs? (Pretty please)

I think we're going to be in the conversation- ALL year... ;-)

CBS Sports just released the projected AP rankings as they always did on early Sunday. We are projected rank of 25th.
I would obviously prefer to be ranked and it would be awesome, but I also wouldn't mind playing the disrespect card for a while longer. That's such a powerful motivator. It's not just about playing their hardest on game day, it's doing those one or two extra things each day after they've already done everything they're supposed to do, because they want it that much more. Maybe a little extra film or a few extra individual reps or a little more focus on recovery.

We'll see. We have a LOT of yuck to wipe off. Social media doesn't seem to know, yet. We will probably need to beat down Stanford. Can't look past them, but if McCord throws for 5TDs? (Pretty please)

Do we have a lot of yuck to wipe off though? We’ve been to back to back bowls and have been in or near the rankings at some point in both seasons.

Like pre 2018 was a lot yuckier.

Yeah agreed. I get the excitement but it's been 2 games. Get to 3-0/4-0 showing continued offensive production and then we can slot into the top 25 and do so showing some steady results. Personally having any Top 25 in place before week 5 seems kind of silly. No one has proven anything week 1.

Do we have a lot of yuck to wipe off though? We’ve been to back to back bowls and have been in or near the rankings at some point in both seasons.

Like pre 2018 was a lot yuckier.
We were 6-0 in spite of losing Gadsden and Pena last year, plus other injuries.

Outside this forum, people don't know that

Even with FSU sucking, people thought GT was at least a decent team and they’re ranked. So I’m not expecting a ranking but trying to take my orange glasses off, why shouldn’t we be ranked. We beat a ranked team and we have an explosive, dominant offense.
I think we'll be around 30-32. We might get ranked if we beat Stanford. BTW, Stanford isn't that bad. It'll be a tough game. I expect to be a 4-7 pt favorite.

Our special teams have issues on block protection and onsides kick strategy. I think Coach Vollono will be trying to fix block protection schemes first. The Jury is still out on if FG accuracy will be there this season.

I hope not. I want to keep the team focused going into Stanford. Use the disrespect as motivation.

If we win that game convincingly, we would be ranked IMO. Although how BC, FSU, and GA Tech look might hurt. If BC loses to both Mizzou and Michigan State, it makes FSU look worse which makes GA Tech look worse. GA Tech has at Louisville which will be a hard one. FSU has Memphis and Cal, which is a rough stretch. If those 3 all lose (very possible), it might take away from out 3-0 start.

Back to my 1st point, we might be better off not bing ranked after a 4-0 start. That UNLV game is a PIA. Cross country trip. First road game. Playing a team that needs this W to impress the Playoff Committee. Any extra motivation for us will be needed.

I think we'll be around 30-32. We might get ranked if we beat Stanford. BTW, Stanford isn't that bad. It'll be a tough game. I expect to be a 4-7 pt favorite.

Our special teams have issues on block protection and onsides kick strategy. I think Coach Vollono will be trying to fix block protection schemes first. The Jury is still out on if FG accuracy will be there this season.
I've seen a handful of voter ballots this morning and we are 24-25 on some and in others I have seen BC at 25, Illinois at 25, Boise at 25, Nebraska at 25

It will be a bottle neck in that 24-32 range

I think ultimately we end up in the 26-30 range

Brett McMurphy has Northern Illinois 23.

If we get out to 5-0...we'll be the new "it team". The team has to keep the injury bug away and keep playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Those saying, we haven’t done anything yet, etc. I get that but what has anyone in the 20-25 range really done. There’s been two games. What have we done; we’ve displayed a high power offense against 2 teams and one of them was ranked based on supposedly having done something already this year. That’s why we deserve to at least be in the top 25 or awfully close.

I've seen a handful of voter ballots this morning and we are 24-25 on some and in others I have seen BC at 25, Illinois at 25, Boise at 25, Nebraska at 25

It will be a bottle neck in that 24-32 range

I think ultimately we end up in the 26-30 range

Brett McMurphy has Northern Illinois 23.
NIU should be ranked...a helluva win.

They play at NCSt in 3 weeks...they have a chance to get into the playoffs with a win there. We'll see.

If we won by 17 we might have taken one of the last spots from GT or MCST. Also would have helped move as an idle next week if we were 26-28. Should get there after Stanford. Wonder if UNLV can get ranked next week Kansas losing makes it less likely but they curb stomped Houston who should have beaten OU.

I think we want to quietly get to the NC State game. National narrative that it’s just a good season bc we lucked into McCord.

Also have to worry about too much buzz and Fran brown having his pick of SEC/BIG jobs. Arkansas Florida UCLA etc.

Last edited:
If we won by 17 we might have taken one of the last spots from GT or MCST. Also would have helped move as an idle next week if we were 26-28. Should get there after Stanford. Wonder if UNLV can get ranked next week Kansas losing makes it less likely but they curb stomped Houston who should have beaten OU.
Ranking means nothing till after the season is over...

I think folks are underestimating the effect of two straight weeks of video game numbers from our QB. Both were teams with a pulse, and one was a media darling. The bar to getting ranked isn't as high as some here seem to think, especially with the carnage of ranked teams this week.

My money is on just being outside of the rankings, and possibly moving in following the week off.

Ranking means nothing till after the season is over...
Nah postseason rankings mean the least one teams the champ.

You think basketballs rankings after the tournament runs mattered? Of course not we still haven’t played an ACC game ranked in a decade.

There's a certain part of the Top 25 that seems reserved for the so-called Hot Team Du Jour from the ACC. Then, that team loses and another team takes its place.

That team was Georgia Tech, ranked because it defeated a team that turned out to be way overrated.

I'd just as soon not be that team for at least a couple more weeks...

I would obviously prefer to be ranked and it would be awesome, but I also wouldn't mind playing the disrespect card for a while longer. That's such a powerful motivator. It's not just about playing their hardest on game day, it's doing those one or two extra things each day after they've already done everything they're supposed to do, because they want it that much more. Maybe a little extra film or a few extra individual reps or a little more focus on recovery.

F the disrespect card. We've been doing that for years. Recruits look at rankings and attention. I want both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom