we like to complain | Syracusefan.com

we like to complain

upperdeck

Living Legend
and so many complain about coach and the zone and recruiting.

so explain why UNC which recruits at such a high level suddenly started a walk-on at PT guard .

everyone has issues when the roster doesnt work out.

the fact that we found a way to compete for close to 50 yrs when no other team has, not every yr has been great, but its been solid. all the blue bloods from 75 on have had a down time or issue or 2 worse than any yr we have had but lets pack it in because we have a run of not as great as everyone wants

when he leaves its not a given no matter who comes it that it returns to a high level, it can flip on a Dime.. ask teams like Neb in fball or indiana/ucla

so explain why UNC which recruits at such a high level suddenly started a walk-on at PT guard .

the fact that we found a way to compete for close to 50 yrs when no other team has, not every yr has been great, but its been solid. all the blue bloods from 75 on have had a down time or issue or 2 worse than any yr we have had but lets pack it in because we have a run of not as great as everyone wants

when he leaves its not a given no matter who comes it that it returns to a high level, it can flip on a Dime.. ask teams like Neb in fball or indiana/ucla

None of our starters have gotten hurt. Or were hurt for periods last year.

The team that we out out there has gotten drilled because of ineffective recruiting and a lack of development at the 5. Our limited offensive abilities have improved...and our unique defense is getting worse.

We are without probation issues.

And we are as close to a blue blood as can be from the time the program built the Dome, got Pearl and became must-see-TV courtesy of ESPN’s “Big Monday.”

If we have injuries or suspensions so be it.So if other teams have an off game or lose a future NBA too five pick to injury, it happens.

But there are zero excuses as to why we are off to our worst start in 51 years.

don't even say the word injury. the way JB has constructed this year's squad we are 1 injury away from not even making the NIT. georgetown lost four players. you pull 4 guys off this squad we don't win another game.

don't even say the word injury. the way JB has constructed this year's squad we are 1 injury away from not even making the NIT. georgetown lost four players. you pull 4 guys off this squad we don't win another game.
Dude. I don’t know you and I love passionate fans. That being said, your responses make me wonder if you live for adversity.

When we sustain an injury, my first thought is about the player. I hope yours is not actually about how it reflects on JB and your well-documented perceptions regarding recruiting misses. Go Cuse, my friend!

if i were to answer you honestly my first thought is how it affects our season. most kids will heal over time and move forward. seasons are lost forever. my thoughts would only turn to JB if we lost a key player up 20 with 2 minutes to play. that truthfully said this team has no margin for error. or injury. as for adversity i speak my truth.

Last edited:

You're telling me UNC can develop a walk-on to the point of starting for UNC, and we can't develop kids we actually recruit to play PG to play PG.....now you're just making me even MORE SAD! Maybe we can start grad transferring in their walk-ons?

Things just keep getting worse.

:(

Whatever happened to all those brothers that Michael Carter-Williams had???? Can they play PG?

I do understand your post, but let's face it, the first 1/3 of the college basketball season is nothing but a phase where teams work and find out where they stand. Figure out rotations and yes, sacrifice a few loses in doing so. Unc will be fine and easily be a 3-6 seed in the tourney. The scary thing about cuse is we don't have many options and are working with a poor squad. That's the concerning thing.

When I was teenager my grandmother would sometimes get annoyed by things I would say. After a while she would get mad and say with her Edith Bunker like voice, "If you don't have anything nice to say shut your God dam mouth!"

You're telling me UNC can develop a walk-on to the point of starting for UNC, and we can't develop kids we actually recruit to play PG to play PG...now you're just making me even MORE SAD! Maybe we can start grad transferring in their walk-ons?

Things just keep getting worse.

:(

Whatever happened to all those brothers that Michael Carter-Williams had???? Can they play PG?
UNC is desperate at this point. They have won one more game than we have. They lost their top player for 5-6 weeks.

Must be time for Roy to go if he's pressed to start a walk on.

We care is another way to phrase it. If we and other fans stop complaining it will be because we have become apathetic.

if we fail to have a winning season this year the remarkable thing will not be that failure but the fact that we went nearly half a century without having such a season.

Have to be honest - I don't really pay attention to any comparisons that involve us vs UNC or in fact JB vs Roy. They are beyond us in terms of success and stature.

Marcus Zegarowski had 20/8/7 for Creighton against Oklahoma last night.

We are on Year #6 of mediocre basketball where we will have to scratch and claw to go .500 in the ACC.

UNC is on Week #6 of mediocre basketball. In the past four seasons they have been a 1/1/2/1 seed in the tourney. They have also beaten us 8 consecutive times.

The idea that we should be afraid of moving on from JB because of other anecdotal examples of programs that regressed post-legend is just the worst possible strategy for addressing our coaching situation.

Last edited:

Was actually talking to my buddy who is a giant UNC fan last night about this. UNC was subject to some negative recruiting as well recently, due to what we all see now was a sham of a response to their fake classes. This has caused them to only get a few 5 stars every year instead of the normal full reload they typically get, including kids who wait to see who is leaving before they commit.

The Red Sox fanbase has always been known as "complainers." I would suggest it means you have a passionate and knowledgable fanbase.

We've been pretty good over JB's reign. The question is, though, is this 'down period' an aberration, or a trend? It reminds me of global warming. People who don't want to do anything about it say there have always been periods like this throughout history. People who do want to do something about it say that this current period is a man-created trend, and requires intervention because it's unlike the other 'graph dips.' In our situation, though, it doesn't much matter, because JB certainly has a limited amount of time left. So, it's a matter of 'how bad does it have to get?' He's going to be replaced. And the difference between 'end of this year' versus the longest reasonable projection of him staying can't be more than a few years.

I kinda feel that if he told us he was definitely leaving at the end of Buddy's career, he'd be given more 'rope' just out of gratitude. But, the continuing downward 'spiral' without a parachute or definitive plan other than "trust and have faith" is what gives us agita. Lastly, to continue to give JB 'leniency,' you kinda have to be of the mind that coach age is line wine. That he can only get better with time, no matter how old he gets. And that our current situation isn't at all related to a failure of a combination of age-related issues: inertia/energy drop, complacency/laziness, stubbornness, arrogance...

And finally, we have to acknowledge that it may not matter how good JB still might be. Play depends on quality recruits/players, and if high schoolers aren't as impressed by JB himself, his personality, his on-court demeanor/treatment of players, his future/longevity, our current style of play, etc., it's all moot. A Perception Game is just as important as whatever is in JB's head or his motivational level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom