We love you JB, but it’s time | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We love you JB, but it’s time

I know we're way off topic here, but who cares? Here we have The American Days slapping Baby Doll. A great promo all around. Tully was one of the best as well:

Being off topic is saving this thread.

Tully was great. Loved him and Arn Anderson, always going after the opponent’s arm.

sorry to disappoint you but not every basketball fan agrees with the philosophy of zone only defense and the short bench. in fact probably 95 % think it's a dumb idea and is why it's never copied. watch out for the company you keep.

sorry to disappoint you but not every basketball fan agrees with the philosophy of zone only defense and the short bench. in fact probably 95 % think it's a dumb idea and is why it's never copied. watch out for the company you keep.
I love the zone when we have a ton of length and athleticism with shot blockers at the rim aka typical Cuse teams.

I hate the zone when we have small, unathletic players that provide zero rim protection, can’t rebound, can’t extend to shooters and have no secondary “switch it up” defense.

I also feel like it’s insane that I need to say this.

His ability to so naturally refer to himself in the 3rd person was unprecedented.

Dusty, Flair, Piper, Heenan, Rock. The Mt Rushmore of promos.
I loved Piper as a kid. Just when you think you have all the answers I change the questions. So good.

My Penn State friend was saying he would kill for Boeheim to come to Penn State right now as their coach. JB's still a big name.
come and get him

Legit question, are all of the people currently content over 60? Is anyone under 40 good with how things ahead are looking? Just trying to decipher if its that simple of a divide.

Being off topic is saving this thread.

Tully was great. Loved him and Arn Anderson, always going after the opponent’s arm.

You listen to the Arn podcast? Pretty damn good.

I love the zone when we have a ton of length and athleticism with shot blockers at the rim aka typical Cuse teams.

I hate the zone when we have small, unathletic players that provide zero rim protection, can’t rebound, can’t extend to shooters and have no secondary “switch it up” defense.

I also feel like it’s insane that I need to say this.

I hate the zone when it requires us to recruit string bean centers that have very little skill outside of standing talk with their hands up.

I'm sure you've secretly despised JB all his career. I've know a lot of small people like you.

1575554731572.png

Last edited:
I've always been a JB defender. People would say we only won the title thanks to Carmelo. But why did Carmelo come to S.U.? Who built a program that would attract him and the others on that team?

I think the assumption is J.B retires when Buddy graduates. Do we want to oust J.B before then? Lets not forget what happened after Pasqualoni was fired.

Serious question. Do you think Hop would come back?

I’ll ride with JB until the day he no longer wants to be here. I owe the relationships I have with my father, brother and friends to this program (that he built). Would rather lose with Boeheim than win with someone else. Is this year hard? Not really tbh. What other team do you follow where you don’t have a single horrible year for 40+ years? What we’ve had here has been magically consistent and likely won’t ever be again. I love our coaches. I love our guards. I love our building. I love our hot dogs. I guess I have a lyrical soul.

You guys all make me sick. First 2 months of hard times in 40+ years and you want to clean house. This isn’t fantasy sports and the grass is unlikely to be greener on the other side.
You have answered the question of whether you are a Jim Boeheim fan or a Syracuse basketball fan. You are a Jim Boeheim fan first. You are entitled to that. But the two aren't always connected to each other. The idea that you would rather lose with Jb than win with another coach seems ridiculous to me. Syracuse basketball is an entertainment business. And right now, and for the last few years, we haven't been entertaining. The product is stale. It happens. I was at JB's first game as a Head Coach. I have always been a supporter of his and the program. People say that JB has been loyal to Syracuse. That is a two way street. The school has been very loyal to him. What other coach was ever been hit with two different sanctions from the NCAA and not lost their job over it? The time for a change has already passed. I would bet that coach Boeheim preaches team first. Right now he is preaching Jim Boeheim first. And that isn't good. It's also not the right thing to do.

Last edited:
I've always been a JB defender. People would say we only won the title thanks to Carmelo. But why did Carmelo come to S.U.? Who built a program that would attract him and the others on that team?

I think the assumption is J.B retires when Buddy graduates. Do we want to oust J.B before then? Lets not forget what happened after Pasqualoni was fired.

Pasqualoni should absolutely have been fired. The problems were:

1. You dont fire a coach after a bowl game (because lol you just made a bowl and because it puts you way behind in the coaching search)

2. Finding a successor was inevitbaly going to be a shtshow by virtue of who was in charge of the search.

You have answered the question of whether you are a Jim Boeheim fan or a Syracuse basketball fan. You are a Jim Boeheim fan first. You are entitled to that. But the two aren't always connected to each other. The idea that you would rather lose with Jb than win with another coach seems ridiculous to me. Syracuse basketball is an entertainment business. And right now, and for the last few years, we haven't been entertaining. The product is stale. It happens. I was at JB's first game as a Head Coach. I have always been a supporter of his and the program. People say that JB has been loyal to Syracuse. That is a two way street. The school has been very loyal to him. What other coach was ever been hit with two different sanctions from the NCAA and not lost their job over it? The time for a change has already passed. I would bet that coach Boeheim preaches team first. Right now he is preaching Jim Boeheim first. And that isn't good. It's also not the right thing to do.
1575569727066.gif

I’ll ride with JB until the day he no longer wants to be here. I owe the relationships I have with my father, brother and friends to this program (that he built). Would rather lose with Boeheim than win with someone else. Is this year hard? Not really tbh. What other team do you follow where you don’t have a single horrible year for 40+ years? What we’ve had here has been magically consistent and likely won’t ever be again. I love our coaches. I love our guards. I love our building. I love our hot dogs. I guess I have a lyrical soul.

You guys all make me sick. First 2 months of hard times in 40+ years and you want to clean house. This isn’t fantasy sports and the grass is unlikely to be greener on the other side.

It's been 6 calendar years since we lost less than 13 games in a season and didn't finish .500 in conference play. This will probably be the 7th year in a row. The idea that our struggles have been suddenly the past two months is just disingenuous.

A little nostalgia is never a bad thing, but your post is nostalgia on steroids.

It's been 6 calendar years since we lost less than 13 games in a season and didn't finish .500 in conference play. This will probably be the 7th year in a row. The idea that our struggles have been suddenly the past two months is just disingenuous.

A little nostalgia is never a bad thing, but your post is nostalgia on steroids.
Go look through the JB records. Before the last 5 years only 3 years were this bad. It's time for Jim to go. We unfortunately have a habit of keeping coaches too long. Then if you make a bad hire you are in trouble.

Go look through the JB records. Before the last 5 years only 3 years were this bad. It's time for Jim to go. We unfortunately have a habit of keeping coaches too long. Then if you make a bad hire you are in trouble.

Aren't you in trouble if you make a bad hire at any point though? I'm not really afraid of that, could happen any time.

I think it’s not really much of an argument that without the zone we don’t make the last two tournament runs we’ve had but sure it’s a dumb idea

Aren't you in trouble if you make a bad hire at any point though? I'm not really afraid of that, could happen any time.
Just hoping we make a good choice when the time comes.

Seems like a great opportunity to remind the board that some of us have been banging the “Boeheim’s done” drum for years now...because we foresaw how bad it could get and wanted to avoid this.

HakAttack, I remember a few years ago trying to tell everyone JB should step down and people freaked out. What I feared, was this exact situation. Complete mess where JB won't step down bc he doesn't want to but he clearly is underperforming in every sense of the word... Poor coaching on both ends. Typically they have some talent that can bail them out but they have stopped getting those guys. The offensive concepts/spacing/scheme make zero sense. There’s a common theme in basketball offensively in Europe: “Need good spacing before an advantage can be made and we need an advantage to be created until we look to shoot & attack.” Spacing is poor, concepts around what we are doing in ball screens make zero sense. We don’t vary our concepts depending upon the spacing of the other four guys and the coverages that the defense are playing. We don’t run any creative P/R entries that force the guards coverage defensively to be late which allows our offensive player to go shoulder-to-shoulder off the ball screen. It’s just simple things we could do that would enable our players to get more open looks. We don’t create any in the half court. ZERO and I mean ZERO creativity off the ball screening wise... all around just very poor. As for the next coach, I have whiffed on a few guesses... Gregg Marshall, could look at a few different NBA staffs (assistants wise), but my favorite would be Randy Bennett. Will be a disciplined program both on and off court, they will execute schematically on both ends, and will get good enough players to execute what he wants to do. Currently leads nation in PPP half court... HIS TEAMS WILL EXECUTE! And he will get better players here.

I think it’s not really much of an argument that without the zone we don’t make the last two tournament runs we’ve had but sure it’s a dumb idea

Ok, so those 5 or 6 wins were great, but how about the 70 losses in the last 5+ years? I'll trade 3 of those tourney wins for 20 less regular season losses.

but my favorite would be Randy Bennett.

Good coach but is already 57, that's about about a decade over what I'm interested in.

Without Troy Weaver Melo doesn't come here. Just like Isaiah Stewart didn't come here because of Mike Hopkins isn't here and he went 2500 miles west.

Ok, so those 5 or 6 wins were great, but how about the 70 losses in the last 5+ years? I'll trade 3 of those tourney wins for 20 less regular season losses.

Good coach but is already 57, that's about about a decade over what I'm interested in.
He’s coaching... Not playing

He’s coaching... Not playing

I'm not particularly interested in a new coach coming in that already gets senior discounts after we just had the oldest coach in NCAA history. Not saying it couldn't work out, but certainly not a preference of mine and I would hope the admin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom