We love you JB, but it’s time | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We love you JB, but it’s time

I'm sure you've secretly despised JB all his career. I've know a lot of small people like you.

I can't think of a more Boomer take then this. Yes we are all so much of Syracuse basketball fans that we sought out a message board to discuss more with people with similar interests but we secretly hate the guy responsible for building the product. Got me! And yes I'm only 5'9 so I may sort of be a small person, I know a lot of other small people too.

I can't think of a more Boomer take then this. Yes we are all so much of Syracuse basketball fans that we sought out a message board to discuss more with people with similar interests but we secretly hate the guy responsible for building the product. Got me! And yes I'm only 5'9 so I may sort of be a small person, I know a lot of other small people too.
Okay.

Ok, so those 5 or 6 wins were great, but how about the 70 losses in the last 5+ years? I'll trade 3 of those tourney wins for 20 less regular season losses.

Good coach but is already 57, that's about about a decade over what I'm interested in.
I’ll take a 13 loss regular season with a fun trip to the sweet 16 opposed to a 8 loss season with a first round exit.

You have answered the question of whether you are a Jim Boeheim fan or a Syracuse basketball fan. You are a Jim Boeheim fan first. You are entitled to that. But the two aren't always connected to each other. The idea that you would rather lose with Jb than win with another coach seems ridiculous to me. Syracuse basketball is an entertainment business. And right now, and for the last few years, we haven't been entertaining. The product is stale. It happens. I was at JB's first game as a Head Coach. I have always been a supporter of his and the program. People say that JB has been loyal to Syracuse. That is a two way street. The school has been very loyal to him. What other coach was ever been hit with two different sanctions from the NCAA and not lost their job over it? The time for a change has already passed. I would bet that coach Boeheim preaches team first. Right now he is preaching Jim Boeheim first. And that isn't good. It's also not the right thing to do.
I think that is a tough question though. The whole Boeheim or Syracuse fan first. I'm only 40 so he is the only coach I have ever known. I would say 4 years ago I was a ride with JAB til the end guy and then when the Hopkins thing happened it was the first time I felt he really put his own wants (sticking it to the NCAA and winning again) over what was best for the program which was handing it to Hop. I'm to the point now that Hopkins probably doesn't come back and the only way it happens is if Boeheim wants it to happen.

At this point I would rather give him a little more time. Honestly I like Quincy, Goodine, JG3 and I also like Woody Newton and Richmond. I think we have been doing better than we were the few years before that when we had a class of Bourama, Oshae, Howard Washington and Marek. I mean Oshae was the only kid in that class near the top 100. Marek was a mystery, BS was close to 200 and a 3 star and Washington was closer to 300 and 3 star. Quincy and Goodine were rated like 90 something, and so are Woody and Richmond. I want more top 50 kids too but I do think these players can improve and stay in the program and it better.

Maybe I'm just lying to myself to avoid the pain but that is where I'm at today.

We are the 5th winningest program in college basketball history. Why do we have to settle for these two crappy options?
I agree with that. My point was solely about the zone and the way Jimmy B has coached since I’ve been old enough to comprehend. It’s the ultimate equalizer (especially combined with that press, just as Virginia) come tournament time.

I find it hard to believe that 95% of people think it’s a bad idea especially when there’s only a handful of people who have been as close to as successful as Boeheim has.

I haven’t formed a completely opinion on what I want to happen with our coaching situation yet but I do believe that there’s a real chance that our fan base as a whole has an unrealistic perception of what Syracuse is without Boeheim. Once he leaves there’s a serious chance things get much darker before they get better.

Again, not saying I think that’s what will happen but I think that’s a possibility a lot of people aren’t even considering.

We are the 5th winningest program in college basketball history. Why do we have to settle for these two crappy options?
Because times unfortunately have changed for SU basketball andLimited realistic options. I long for those past seasons. A positive change certainly is needed.

That and $5 gets us a latte at Charbucks.

Temple is #5.
Syracuse is now “officially” in 6th place all time.
(thx for the bogus vacated wins, NCAA.)

St John’s #9.
BYU, Utah, Cinci are 11, 12, 13.

Do their fans get all uppity and entitled about stuff like this too? :rolleyes:

Temple is #5.

St John’s #9.

How many Tournament wins fo those programs have in the last 10 years?

recruit better...his job
And try running more creative offensive sets and teach the guys to execute them better. He complains that we’re not getting better movement on offense—that’s on him. He needs to design and teach an offense so we actually get better movement to get our shooters open. A coach like Beilein would be able to do something with this team of good Shooters.

And try running more creative offensive sets and teach the guys to execute them better. He complains that we’re not getting better movement on offense—that’s on him. He needs to design and teach an offense so we actually get better movement to get our shooters open.

...and hire a dedicated big man coach.

Temple is #5.

St John’s #9.

No they do not.

His ability to so naturally refer to himself in the 3rd person was unprecedented.

Dusty, Flair, Piper, Heenan, Rock. The Mt Rushmore of promos.
Jericho is up there too. A notch below yes but an all timer. For another more recent name-cm punk as a heel.

I agree with that. My point was solely about the zone and the way Jimmy B has coached since I’ve been old enough to comprehend. It’s the ultimate equalizer (especially combined with that press, just as Virginia) come tournament time.

I find it hard to believe that 95% of people think it’s a bad idea especially when there’s only a handful of people who have been as close to as successful as Boeheim has.

I haven’t formed a completely opinion on what I want to happen with our coaching situation yet but I do believe that there’s a real chance that our fan base as a whole has an unrealistic perception of what Syracuse is without Boeheim. Once he leaves there’s a serious chance things get much darker before they get better.

Again, not saying I think that’s what will happen but I think that’s a possibility a lot of people aren’t even considering.
We won the Virginia and Gonzaga games because we pressed. Where our athletes got out in space and made plays. Like everyone was clamoring for them to do. We beat MSU with the zone absolutely because MSU and Izzo lost their minds and shot 2636 threes while their lottery pick spent most of the second half on the bench.

Jericho is up there too. A notch below yes but an all timer. For another more recent name-cm punk as a heel.

Jericho, yes definitely. I also remember always being entertained by Kurt Angle. I had checked out by the cm punk era.

Jericho, yes definitely. I also remember always being entertained by Kurt Angle. I had checked out by the cm punk era.
Angle never had the serious type promos the other guys did as his role for much of the attitude era was being the goofy heel but man... he has some all time segments. Especially with stone cold, edge and Christian, Jericho, rock.

There was a time when we felt the zone allowed inferior teams to hang with us, then it was the other way around. And now it's at the point where it doesn't matter simply because we just are that ineffective. How times have changed.

the zone is no longer a novelty D. teams know how to beat it and the trey is more popular than ever.
the days of daring a team to beat you from outside no longer apply. wake up JB.
they'll gladly take that shot and then pound you underneath to boot when the middle is weak.

Last edited:
About half a decade ago, they were a number one seed when MCW & company beat them in the Sweet Sixteen.
Yup, but it was a brief blip. They haven’t been able to sustain. Very mediocre program going all the way back to when Knight left. They’ve flashed occasionally, but definitely haven’t been able to rise back to the level they experienced in the 70’s and 80’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom