We love you JB, but it’s time | Syracusefan.com

We love you JB, but it’s time

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
He’s built the program. We owe a lot to him as Syracuse basketball fans. He is Syracuse basketball. But there comes a time in every career where you either recognize your time has passed, or you get told your time has passed.

Time for him to announce his retirement at the end of this season. This “coach until Buddy graduates” is a nice story and all, but it’s not worth sacrificing the program and prolonging the rebuild for two or three more seasons.

It’s time to move to a new chapter. Hopefully JB is willing to step aside for the good of the program.

Seems like a great opportunity to remind the board that some of us have been banging the “Boeheim’s done” drum for years now...because we foresaw how bad it could get and wanted to avoid this.

Seems like he wants to be the Joe Paterno of college hoops. For the first 30 years he changed with the game. The last 15 years he has been frozen like Antartica. I know 2 final fours.....but you just can't count on luck all the time. It runs out/ Meathead basketball.

Seems like he wants to be the Joe Paterno of college hoops. For the first 30 years he changed with the game. The last 15 years he has been frozen like Antartica. I know 2 final fours...but you just can't count on luck all the time. It runs out/ Meathead basketball.
Eek, please no JoePa comparisons. Let’s use Bobby Bowden instead.

Seems like a great opportunity to remind the board that some of us have been banging the “Boeheim’s done” drum for years now...because we foresaw how bad it could get and wanted to avoid this.

The idea that we couldn't have beat Mich St that year is absurd. I suppose if they were beat a couple of years ago, people would say we wouldn't have got to the sweet 16 if Mich st didn't lose. They lost. We beat the team that beat them. Period. Now, as far as the larger point, it is time for a change.

Seems like he wants to be the Joe Paterno of college hoops. For the first 30 years he changed with the game. The last 15 years he has been frozen like Antartica. I know 2 final fours...but you just can't count on luck all the time. It runs out/ Meathead basketball.
Not sure I would say the last 15 years. We had the best (maybe second best team) in 2 of those years. If AO doesn’t get hurt we might have won it and if Fab doesn’t Fab we could have given AD and Kentucky everything they wanted in the championship game.

Things have gone sideways over the past 5 years. Sanctions hurt very badly. Maybe that ultimately was the knockout punch to JB the NCAA hoped it would be.

We all wanted to recover and be a top 10 program again. No one wants to see this happen, but now we’re bad on offense AND defense. Be bad at one if you’re good at the other, but don’t be bad at both.

Couldn't agree more love the man but he's 76 it's time for someone else to take over this program.

It's time. Let's not make the mistake we did I e the early 2000s with football

The mistake has already been made. Now it's about stopping the bleeding. We just got beat ON OUR HOME COURT by a mediocre Iowa team missing two of its best players.

This program has such an effect on the emotion of this town in the winter. I have never felt less enthusiastic on game days in my life. I used to look forward to games three days before and now it hurts to watch any of it. Even Jim himself said “ There is nothing to look forward to.”

Maybe it is time.

So, tell me how a coach can make the ball go in the hoop.

1575481641230.png

This program has such an effect on the emotion of this town in the winter. I have never felt less enthusiastic on game days in my life. I used to look forward to games three days before and now it hurts to watch any of it. Even Jim himself said “ There is nothing to look forward to.”

Maybe it is time.

It makes winters bearable and go by quick. You have the holidays and once January starts you're in the heart of the conference season. Calendar turns to February and maybe that old February swoon hits. March and the BET and then its Selection Sunday and you're spending days watching nothing but college basketball and the rotation of 8 commercials on CBS. Then it's over and it's basically spring.

I miss rushing home to catch every game. Now I'm deliberately scheduling things during them.

It makes winters bearable and go by quick. You have the holidays and once January starts you're in the heart of the conference season. Calendar turns to February and maybe that old February swoon hits. March and the BET and then its Selection Sunday and you're spending days watching nothing but college basketball and the rotation of 8 commercials on CBS.

Man this (accurate) post makes my heart hurt.

I remember just feeling absolutely crushed when I would see a week off between games. The dreaded Saturday/Saturday. My week would be destroyed.

Man this (accurate) post makes my heart hurt.

I never thought I would look longingly on the swoons.
Six of our eight losses came in an 8 game stretch in the 2011 season, including a 4 game losing streak. I thought it was the end of the world.

The 09 team went 3-7 over a ten game stretched and dropped out of the top 25. Six of those losses were to top 20 teams (the Big East was a beast that year). The sky was falling.

The "best" was 2013. Going 5-7 to end the year and getting punked by Georgetown twice. At least we got a measure of revenge and some nice schadenfreude.

Ironically, he has changed in a way.

The program used to develop four-year players, with some exceptions. In the last five years Boeheim's adopted an instant gratification approach, presumably due to both sanctions and early entries, and run off a ton of promising recruits after a year or two.

I liked his old method a little better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom