We love you JB, but it’s time | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

We love you JB, but it’s time

I'm not particularly interested in a new coach coming in that already gets senior discounts after we just had the oldest coach in NCAA history. Not saying it couldn't work out, but certainly not a preference of mine and I would hope the admin.
Wonder if VT regrets hiring Young because he is "old". Don't hire someone just because he's younger. Instead focus on hiring a good coach and I promise you it'll reap the benefits of having a team that will consistently compete every night.

when you have the oldest coach in D1 it's best to have a succession plan in place. documents signed and notarized .

so you’re on board with one of the current assistants getting the job.

You have answered the question of whether you are a Jim Boeheim fan or a Syracuse basketball fan. You are a Jim Boeheim fan first. You are entitled to that. But the two aren't always connected to each other. The idea that you would rather lose with Jb than win with another coach seems ridiculous to me. Syracuse basketball is an entertainment business. And right now, and for the last few years, we haven't been entertaining. The product is stale. It happens. I was at JB's first game as a Head Coach. I have always been a supporter of his and the program. People say that JB has been loyal to Syracuse. That is a two way street. The school has been very loyal to him. What other coach was ever been hit with two different sanctions from the NCAA and not lost their job over it? The time for a change has already passed. I would bet that coach Boeheim preaches team first. Right now he is preaching Jim Boeheim first. And that isn't good. It's also not the right thing to do.

Dash... I respect you and your right to have an opinion. You have been a loyal fan and supporter and if in your heart of hearts you feel it’s time to move on, you have every right to feel that way and express it. I just don’t agree that coach can’t turn this thing around. And I don’t agree he’s preaching Jim Boeheim first. That’s as much of a hot take as me saying I’d rather lose with JB than win with someone else. That might have been too extreme. I can admit to that. But I still think coach is one of the best in the business. I really do. And I don’t think there will be another candidate we can realistically land that will put us in a better position to turn it around. I like the foundation we are building around Joe and Buddy. I may be on an island but I think they are the kind of character kids that will pull us through these hard times. Losing isn’t fun. Not for the players, not for the coaches, not for the fan base. And I get that when you lose you open yourself up to a lot of couch athletic directors who think they know the best direction forward. But continuity is more often successful than starting from scratch. And I think coach has earned the right to have every opportunity to turn it around. I don’t feel like we’ve hit rock bottom. Not even close. It’s never as bad as it seems in the moment (2016 should have taught us that). And it’s never as good (2013’s 25-0 start). We’ve had some bad luck with the draft, some bad luck with injuries, some misses in recruiting (both with players we didn’t land and with players we did). The next few years could see our luck change. Players staying, recruits playing better than expected, and staying healthy. If it does, I think we have the right people steering the ship. I’ve been watching Syracuse and College Basketball long enough and have been every bit as invested as anyone else. And I’ve earned the right to feel this way and express it.

Last edited:
Dash... I respect you and your right to have an opinion. You have been a loyal fan and supporter and if in your heart of hearts you feel it’s time to move on, you have every right to feel that way and express it. I just don’t agree that coach can’t turn this thing around. And I don’t agree he’s preaching Jim Boeheim first. That’s as much of a hot take as me saying I’d rather lose with JB than win with someone else. That might have been too extreme. I can admit to that. But I still think coach is one of the best in the business. I really do. And I don’t think there will be another candidate we can realistically land that will put us in a better position to turn it around. I like the foundation we are building around Joe and Buddy. I may be on an island but I think they are the kind of character kids that will pull us through these hard times. Losing isn’t fun. Not for the players, not for the coaches, not for the fan base. And I get that when you lose you open yourself up to a lot of couch athletic directors who think they know the best direction forward. But continuity is more often successful than starting from scratch. And I think coach has earned the right to have every opportunity to turn it around. I don’t feel like we’ve hit rock bottom. Not even close. It’s never as bad as it seems in the moment (2016 should have taught us that). And it’s never as good (2013’s 25-0 start). We’ve had some bad luck with the draft, some bad luck with injuries, some misses in recruiting (both with players we didn’t land and with players we did). The next few years could see our luck change. Players staying, recruits playing better than expected, and staying healthy. If it does, I think we have the right people steering the ship. I’ve been watching Syracuse and College Basketball long enough and have been every bit as invested as anyone else. And I’ve earned the right to feel this way and express it.
I respect you as well. And if you know me, you know that I have been a staunch JB supporter for 44 years. This is different. I am not saying he can't coach anymore. I am saying it is getting almost impossible to recruit going forward. The type of kid we are getting now, wants to know that the coach will be there. JB is in his mid 70's. There are no guarantees at that age. the program has got very stale. Our records over the past few years has showed that. Nothing good lasts forever toronto.

I respect you as well. And if you know me, you know that I have been a staunch JB supporter for 44 years. This is different. I am not saying he can't coach anymore. I am saying it is getting almost impossible to recruit going forward. The type of kid we are getting now, wants to know that the coach will be there. JB is in his mid 70's. There are no guarantees at that age. the program has got very stale. Our records over the past few years has showed that. Nothing good lasts forever toronto.

totally fair. I don’t think the program is stale but I can see how the argument can be made. MOST top 100 players think they are one and done (or two at most). So as long as they know coach is staying two more, don’t think JB’s age is affecting our recruiting as much as people perceive. I think our struggles in this area have more to do with Hop leaving and us no longer having the Team Final pipeline combined with being forced to become more compliant than the programs we are competing with due to being under a microscope with more zoom. The City Rocks and CIA Bounce programs have been good for us, but we haven’t yet netted the same returns that we got from Team Final. Autry has been doing a great job on the trail but the rest of the staff need to execute better and create a fence around a new pipeline that gets us ROI. Or we need to shake up who’s on the road. I prefer our current recruiters (who I think are all great people) pick it up a notch. I’m obviously not in the camp that wants a complete makeover.

totally fair. I don’t think the program is stale but I can see how the argument can be made. MOST top 100 players think they are one and done (or two at most). So as long as they know coach is staying two more, don’t think JB’s age is affecting our recruiting as much as people perceive. I think our struggles in this area have more to do with Hop leaving and us no longer having the Team Final pipeline combined with being forced to become more compliant than the programs we are competing with due to being under a microscope with more zoom. The City Rocks and CIA Bounce programs have been good for us, but we haven’t yet netted the same returns that we got from Team Final. Autry has been doing a great job on the trail but the rest of the staff need to execute better and create a fence around a new pipeline that gets us ROI. Or we need to shake up who’s on the road. I prefer our current recruiters (who I think are all great people) pick it up a notch. I’m obviously not in the camp that wants a complete makeover.
Well, we can agree that a change is going to come. Sooner or later. No one, not even JB, can coach forever.

Without Troy Weaver Melo doesn't come here. Just like Isaiah Stewart didn't come here because of Mike Hopkins isn't here and he went 2500 miles west.
You missed my point

the zone is no longer a novelty D. teams know how to beat it and the trey is more popular than ever.
the days of daring a team to beat you from outside no longer apply. wake up JB.
they'll gladly take that shot and then pound you underneath to boot when the middle is weak.
Well, we can agree that a change is going to come. Sooner or later. No one, not even JB, can coach forever.

Been watching JB play and coach since 1962 when Manley was new. Yes, well we all have to give the ball up sooner or later.

In my dreams I wish JB would stay till he's 80 or beyond and this team would be able to shoot every game like they did Saturday against Tech, ( they showed us again what they're capable of), and have ball movement the entire game as it was. JB had nothing to do with Eli and Buddy's shooting prowess but he had a lot to do with coaching them up post Iowa.

JB knows how to coach basketball. He is basketball.

I wish Hop didn't leave after so many years as JB's great assistant. I don't think he'll leave the goldmine he's got and come back but I can dream.

Been watching JB play and coach since 1962 when Manley was new. Yes, well we all have to give the ball up sooner or later.

In my dreams I wish JB would stay till he's 80 or beyond and this team would be able to shoot every game like they did Saturday against Tech, ( they showed us again what they're capable of), and have ball movement the entire game as it was. JB had nothing to do with Eli and Buddy's shooting prowess but he had a lot to do with coaching them up post Iowa.

JB knows how to coach basketball. He is basketball.

I wish Hop didn't leave after so many years as JB's great assistant. I don't think he'll leave the goldmine he's got and come back but I can dream.
SMH I have loved Syracuse basketball for over 40 years. Very close to 50. JB isn't basketball. No one is. No one is bigger than the game. And no one is bigger than Syracuse University. We played an awful team on Saturday. Make no mistake about that. I wish we played them a few more times. And I hope as much as you do that we can shoot like that a whole bunch of times between now and the rest of the season. But there will be plenty of games that we won't shoot well. The bottom line is that sometimes a new voice is needed. Ask anyone who has ever had a job for say 15 years if they are as enthusiastic about that job as they were the day they started it. Now ask after 44 years.

SMH I have loved Syracuse basketball for over 40 years. Very close to 50. JB isn't basketball. No one is. No one is bigger than the game. And no one is bigger than Syracuse University. We played an awful team on Saturday. Make no mistake about that. I wish we played them a few more times. And I hope as much as you do that we can shoot like that a whole bunch of times between now and the rest of the season. But there will be plenty of games that we won't shoot well. The bottom line is that sometimes a new voice is needed. Ask anyone who has ever had a job for say 15 years if they are as enthusiastic about that job as they were the day they started it. Now ask after 44 years.
Dasher, it's obvious that you believe change is needed. I do as well. Just not now, maybe in the next four to five years. And, thank you for your courteous discussion.

I realize that this team will not shoot like they did Saturday when they hit for 97 and against Bucknell for 97. It is, however, great to see them do it - that they are capable of knocking out anyone with shooting like that, assists like that, distribution and passing like that.

I also do not think Tech is a good team but we were away which should have made them a slight favorite but we played and shot very well.

JB is not basketball but he's had a marvelous run amazing when you consider the number of years he's been here. It will be over soon. Some here are wringing their hands they want him gone so badly IMO.

But, it's important for people on this board to understand that you don't go from high school to a high major program and stand out. There's a learning curve unless you are a Carmelo Anthony. However, a player like that is a rarity.

The recent NCAA ban took more out of us in recruiting then many care to believe.

I disagree with the enthusiasm about your job. I graduated from SU with a degree in Industrial Design. At the time the programs / classrooms were in the basement of Archbold Gymnasium. A great program second only to Art Center in LA.

After graduating in '68 I enjoyed a wonderful career that took me to Europe, Asia, all over the USA and I couldn't wait to get to work and stayed late to work on designing something new. I designed the York Peppermint Pattie logo and silver reflective package when working for a design consulting firm in CT 40 years ago and Browning Fire Arms which took me to Brussels then Utah where I worked on and finalized the logo. (my 15 minutes of fame)

I still am working on design and am enthusiastic as I was back then now. At present I am re - designing a logo for a television station near Pittsburgh. In my case, I love whatever is inside me that loves creativity. I think if you asked JB if his enthusiasm has waned that much in 44 years he would say it hasn't.

But you have your opinion and I have mine. I am giving up JB but not easily. I understand new blood IS needed. I doubt we are going to make the NIT this year if we don't shoot and play well. But there's always the chance. This team, aside from Elijah Hughes, is young and inexperienced. A junior leading Sophomores and freshman.

I hope whomever takes JB's place can continue his winning ways. Hopkins coming back would be great. We'll see. Thank you for continuing this important discussion. Replacing JB will not be an easy thing to do and I imagine there will be much discussion pro and con here after that decision is made. Who knows, perhaps next in line is someone who sits close to the HC at games right now. :) GOSU

Last edited:
JB can still coach, but the assistants aren't getting it done. Not in recruiting, and not in development. If JB was 50 and less loyal to his guys, we could purge the assistants and get right back at it.

Dasher, it's obvious that you believe change is needed. I do as well. Just not now, maybe in the next four to five years. And, thank you for your courteous discussion.

I realize that this team will not shoot like they did Saturday when they hit for 97 and against Bucknell for 97. It is, however, great to see them do it - that they are capable of knocking out anyone with shooting like that, assists like that, distribution and passing like that.

I also do not think Tech is a good team but we were away which should have made them a slight favorite but we played and shot very well.

JB is not basketball but he's had a marvelous run amazing when you consider the number of years he's been here. It will be over soon. Some here are wringing their hands they want him gone so badly IMO.

But, it's important for people on this board to understand that you don't go from high school to a high major program and stand out. There's a learning curve unless you are a Carmelo Anthony. However, a player like that is a rarity.

The recent NCAA ban took more out of us in recruiting then many care to believe.

I disagree with the enthusiasm about your job. I graduated from SU with a degree in Industrial Design. At the time the programs / classrooms were in the basement of Archbold Gymnasium. A great program second only to Art Center in LA.

After graduating in '68 I enjoyed a wonderful career that took me to Europe, Asia, all over the USA and I couldn't wait to get to work and stayed late to work on designing something new. I designed the York Peppermint Pattie logo and silver reflective package when working for a design consulting firm in CT 40 years ago and Browning Fire Arms which took me to Brussels then Utah where I worked on and finalized the logo. (my 15 minutes of fame)

I still am working on design and am enthusiastic as I was back then now. At present I am re - designing a logo for a television station near Pittsburgh. In my case, I love whatever is inside me that loves creativity. I think if you asked JB if his enthusiasm has waned that much in 44 years he'd agree.

But you have your opinion and I have mine. I am giving up JB but not easily. I understand new blood IS needed. I doubt we are going to make the NIT this year if we don't shoot and play well. But there's always the chance. This team, aside from Elijah Hughes, is young and inexperienced. A junior leading Sophomores and freshman.

I hope whomever takes JB's place can continue his winning ways. Hopkins coming back would be great. We'll see. Thank you for continuing this important discussion. Replacing JB will not be an easy thing to do and I imagine there will be much discussion pro and con here after that decision is made. Who knows, perhaps next in line is someone who sits close to the HC at games right now. :) GOSU

You designed the peppermint patty logo and packaging? As a solo endeavor, or part of a team? This is an iconic design.

The zone does not require us to recruit string beans. It should be clear to everyone that JB has narrowed down his recruiting success - intentional or not - to string beans. There have been many posts discussing why non-string beans don't want to come to SU. This is one of several issues with JB at the moment.

I hate the zone when it requires us to recruit string bean centers that have very little skill outside of standing talk with their hands up.

I suspect they do.

[I
That and $5 gets us a latte at Charbucks.

Temple is #5.
Syracuse is now “officially” in 6th place all time.
(thx for the bogus vacated wins, NCAA.)

St John’s #9.
BYU, Utah, Cinci are 11, 12, 13.

Do their fans get all uppity and entitled about stuff like this too? :rolleyes:

When the NCAA moved the 3 point line back, Boeheim calculated what it would do to shooting percentages. I think he then concluded that occasional 3 point shooters percentage would drop, guys that are aware of and shoot with their toes on the line, but not effect pure shooters who will shoot from anywhere if they feel it. So what did the stale old 75 year old do then, he totally changed our offense, that's what he did. If people would stop looking at him with their old age stereotype, they might see it. When the team scores 97 twice in a couple of weeks at the beginning of the season, that should ring some bells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom