We need 2-3 More players | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We need 2-3 More players

I’m sure he understands the situation. It doesn’t mean we can’t question, disagree, or debate it. Frankly yes , I’m worried about depth next year. What happens if one of our forwards gets hurt next year if we don’t add anyone else?
As I said. I think JB knows we would be screwed. What makes you think otherwise?

As I said. I think JB knows we would be screwed. What makes you think otherwise?
I’m not the only one. After injuries this year , depth is a big concern.

self rule :
Kansas head coach coach Bill Self visits with reporters after a press conference Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. Self was asked about this year's tournament, his players and thoughts on next year's roster.

If Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self had his way, the NBA’s next collective bargaining agreement would include an alteration of the so-called “one-and-done rule.”

It’s the rule that requires players to be at least 19 years old and one year removed from high school before they can enter the NBA Draft. This rule has led to a batch of players, including KU’s Xavier Henry and Josh Selby, attending college one year, then bolting for the pros.

“I’d say leave (for NBA) out of high school or stay three years in college,” said Self, who would settle for a two-year minimum stay on campus for those who don’t declare for the draft following high school graduation.

“I don’t like what is in place now. It’s not because we’ve had two one-and-dones the last two years. Some people have had more. I don’t think what we have is fair to the kid. We say, ‘Come here to get a degree and help us win, and in turn, when the time is right, we’ll support any decision you make.’ That’s what we’ll say whether it’s one year or two years. The mind-set some kids have coming in is they can be a one-and-done guy. I can understand that. It’s the landscape of where we live and what we do, but it’s not the way it should be.

“It should be kids go to school first, and after they go to school and the time is right, they should be able to jump. I think making them stay a minimum of two would definitely help that cause.”

Self doesn’t begrudge those rare players with NBA-ready bodies and skills the right to make millions of dollars in lieu of college.

“I wish there was some committee saying, ‘OK, if this kid is thought to be a certain pick, then he would be allowed to go,’” Self said. “There wouldn’t be bad decisions. Then after that, I wish we had the baseball rule (players must stay three years if they don’t turn pro out of high school).

“In football, you have to stay three years no matter what, but football is also a different sport. What 18-year-old would be mature enough to play in the NFL?

If a kid is able to go and do that and take care of himself and his family, do that. If he can’t, go to school and stay in school,” added Self, who indicated he was “proud” of those Jayhawks who left early for making sure they left KU in good academic standing.

An alteration of the one-and-done rule would also help coaches assemble their rosters.

It (staying 2-3 years) would change the whole dynamics of recruiting,” Self said, “because you won’t be trying to sign the next guy to replace that guy (one-and-done) when you don’t even know if that guy is leaving or not. You’ll have a better feel for it.”

Makes sense to me and except I would not allow the “OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL” aspect to stand. But I agree with Self. GOSU :)

C43658ED-6B17-4E22-A4AF-0014635C39D8.gif

At this point I just want another F on roster, even if its someone at the braeden level who can be an insurance policy. Maybe average 3-4 min a game.

It's Easter. Maybe JB can pull 2-3 rabbits out of his hat. WHO ARE THESE 2-3 PLAYERS WE CAN MAGICALLY FIND? And have you all complain about the three stiffs next year, taking up roster spots. Porter or a Euro guy is our only hope. Very unlikely guys it's May 1st. I hope Hughes can play some three.

we are not looking to add any players for 18 and we are not adding any new guards for 19 unless Joe G joins, no other guards

we are not looking to add any players for 18 and we are not adding any new guards for 19 unless Joe G joins, no other guards
Thanks for the update, but I can't give it a like.

That's just disappointing.

Girard isn't happening, but I think you know that.

After watching last nights game they have no excuse not to add Bertram. We cannot shoot ourselves out of a barn.
Especially after what JB said about Nova on Golic. He said the hardest part about stopping Nova is that Brunson and DiVincenzo, etc can all get to the basket and finish in a one on one situation. Normally you want to help in that case...but with Nova you can't help, because all of them can shoot.

How can you not recognize our biggest issue offensively is our lack of shooters!?

We better use some of these scholarships.
We have up to 3 scholarship.

Expecting a 4-6 kid recruiting class for 2019 is a lot to ask for a 73 year old HC.
Which is what we need.

Agreed. Take two transfers if you aren't going to add for 2018-2019, at the very least. The transfer market is deep every year. We should really prioritize a transfer big and a SF type.

Even as we're still down one for this upcoming year, don't we have up to 4 scholarships available, assuming Buddy doesn't take one and Tyus is gonezo?

CAN Sidibe play the 4?

Would love to hear Iommi's thoughts on that, since he saw him play so much at the HS level.
Even if he did in HS, that's far different than playing it in the ACC. Plus, coming off knee surgery, we will have absolutely no idea how his body responds and how well his quickness returns. Even if the plan is for him to see some minutes there, banking on it at this point would just be asinine.

CAN Sidibe play the 4?

Would love to hear Iommi's thoughts on that, since he saw him play so much at the HS level.

He played the 4 quite often when St. Benedict’s played 2-3 zone. He was fine there. Had the mobility and foot speed. Offensively, he’s better off at the 5. His shot is a little slow to get off. He’s not going to draw anyone away from the basket with his handle or jumper at this stage.

I think he’s better as a 5 but could play the 4 in a pinch. I wouldn’t expect it.

Huh? We have offers out to other 2019 guards. I will eat a shoe if we don’t land a guard. When was the last time we didn’t add a guard?

Seems like a dangerous approach to me. I'll grant we don't need a guard for next season, but the season after I would think we need to add someone to insure depth beyond the 19-20 season.

I get that if nothing unexpected happens we'll have Carey (So), Goodine (Fr.), Buddy (So), Hughes (Jr.) and Washington (Jr/Sr). But the way things have gone of late I wouldn't want to bet that all those guys, or even the majority of them are here for the year following that. We haven't shown that kind of roster stability of late and I hate being in scramble mode all the time trying to plug new faces into the starting lineup.

Seems like a dangerous approach to me. I'll grant we don't need a guard for next season, but the season after I would think we need to add someone to insure depth beyond the 19-20 season.

I get that if nothing unexpected happens we'll have Carey (So), Goodine (Fr.), Buddy (So), Hughes (Jr.) and Washington (Jr/Sr). But the way things have gone of late I wouldn't want to bet that all those guys, or even the majority of them are here for the year following that. We haven't shown that kind of roster stability of late and I hate being in scramble mode all the time trying to plug new faces into the starting lineup.
Agree 1000%. Until the one and done rule is gone, we need to move forward with the idea that just about every 4 star recruit could be gone after one year and plan ahead for that. If they're here that's great, if they're gone, we are already working on a replacement, instead of scrambling for one.

I could see us adding no other guards. Even if Carey is one and done we would have:

Goodine
Buddy
HoWo
Hughes.

We would have to add one if Hughes blew up somehow, but I doub't both leave. Then again I expected us to have 4 forwards right now and that didn't happen.

CAN Sidibe play the 4?

I personally think he could. The way he gets out to the corner for the 3 is better than Chukwu. I saw him play a little in high school. No where near as much as iommi. We have had worse mobile players at the 4 in my opinion.

I could see us adding no other guards. Even if Carey is one and done we would have:

Goodine
Buddy
HoWo
Hughes.

We would have to add one if Hughes blew up somehow, but I doub't both leave. Then again I expected us to have 4 forwards right now and that didn't happen.
My only concern is Hughes plays with the forwards if we don't get deeper at that position. Then we really have Buddy, HoWo and Goodine if Carey blows up.

Goodine
Buddy
HoWo
Hughes.

You're thinking best case scenario. How about the scenario where Carey transfers to Montclair State as the season is about to begin, HoWO quits three games in and Buddy's mother goes public with a dispute with coaching staff and makes her son sit out.

I mean after the last two seasons, its probably safer to assume that none of them will return and be pleasantly surprised when we have a couple of guys show up at the beginning of the season ready to reprise their previous season's role.

self rule :
Kansas head coach coach Bill Self visits with reporters after a press conference Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. Self was asked about this year's tournament, his players and thoughts on next year's roster.

If Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self had his way, the NBA’s next collective bargaining agreement would include an alteration of the so-called “one-and-done rule.”

It’s the rule that requires players to be at least 19 years old and one year removed from high school before they can enter the NBA Draft. This rule has led to a batch of players, including KU’s Xavier Henry and Josh Selby, attending college one year, then bolting for the pros.

“I’d say leave (for NBA) out of high school or stay three years in college,” said Self, who would settle for a two-year minimum stay on campus for those who don’t declare for the draft following high school graduation.

“I don’t like what is in place now. It’s not because we’ve had two one-and-dones the last two years. Some people have had more. I don’t think what we have is fair to the kid. We say, ‘Come here to get a degree and help us win, and in turn, when the time is right, we’ll support any decision you make.’ That’s what we’ll say whether it’s one year or two years. The mind-set some kids have coming in is they can be a one-and-done guy. I can understand that. It’s the landscape of where we live and what we do, but it’s not the way it should be.

“It should be kids go to school first, and after they go to school and the time is right, they should be able to jump. I think making them stay a minimum of two would definitely help that cause.”

Self doesn’t begrudge those rare players with NBA-ready bodies and skills the right to make millions of dollars in lieu of college.

“I wish there was some committee saying, ‘OK, if this kid is thought to be a certain pick, then he would be allowed to go,’” Self said. “There wouldn’t be bad decisions. Then after that, I wish we had the baseball rule (players must stay three years if they don’t turn pro out of high school).

“In football, you have to stay three years no matter what, but football is also a different sport. What 18-year-old would be mature enough to play in the NFL?

If a kid is able to go and do that and take care of himself and his family, do that. If he can’t, go to school and stay in school,” added Self, who indicated he was “proud” of those Jayhawks who left early for making sure they left KU in good academic standing.

An alteration of the one-and-done rule would also help coaches assemble their rosters.

It (staying 2-3 years) would change the whole dynamics of recruiting,” Self said, “because you won’t be trying to sign the next guy to replace that guy (one-and-done) when you don’t even know if that guy is leaving or not. You’ll have a better feel for it.”

Makes sense to me and except I would not allow the “OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL” aspect to stand. But I agree with Self. GOSU :)
So everyone whose job does not require a license of some kind can go right to work out of high school, except athletes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom