We need to face facts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We need to face facts

It could be worse. We could be Kansas
Down 28-7 to Texas at the start of the 2nd half

The Clemson win shows we’ve made progress. Upsets happen but we hadn’t beaten anyone like that in years.

We’re getting there. This system and staff are right for Cuse/Dome. Recruiting is improving. We should get better each year going forward. We are better than last year. And we’ll be better next year.

And I did essentially say that in my first post. I’m not slamming the staff like I want some big change, even though this loss was brutal.

I don’t believe the Clemson win proves we’ve made progress. CFB every week is filled with upset wins by teams who at the end of season are still bad teams.

I fully believe Dino will get us there but we need to seriously upgrade the defensive talent (which we are). Not Babers fault Shafer left him a bunch of slow and unathletic players to work with on that side of the ball.

We also need a QB that can stay healthy. We fell apart last year due to QB health and it's happening again this year.

The staff also needs to get better at situational decision making. They have not been impressive, to say the least, in that facet.

Like I said, we'll get there under this staff, but I don't want to hear people telling us we should be ok with a game like this or that fans should come to the games...nah, we've been bad for a decade, nobody wants to come watch the current product and nobody should blame them.
Dino just got outtempoed by wake forest. Everything they hang their hat on they just got beat at. Terrible look for Dino

Stars don’t matter when they were a 2 win team. We say stars don’t matter when we like our own recruits and then when we try to justify losses we point to how many star players the other team has.
I have NEVER said that stars don't matter. NEVER. So don't say that is response to my post. We have the least talent in the league. And it shows. But the talent is slowly getting better. Am I as disappointed as everyone else here? Yes. This game was difficult to watch. And our coaches are not covered in glory with this effort.

And I did essentially say that in my first post. I’m not slamming the staff like I want some big change, even though this loss was brutal.

I don’t believe the Clemson win proves we’ve made progress. CFB every week is filled with upset wins by teams who at the end of season are still bad teams.

Well, we didn’t upset anybody that good for like 15 years. So it’s progress to me that it was us for once.

The stats and competitive losses show we have made progress. We gave up 60 today and we’re all freaking out...how many times did we give up 50-60 last year? Seemed like half our games.

I have NEVER said that stars don't matter. NEVER. So don't say that is response to my post. We have the least talent in the league. And it shows. But the talent is slowly getting better. Am I as disappointed as everyone else here? Yes. This game was difficult to watch. And our coaches are not covered in glory with this effort.

And I didn’t specifically say you, did I? I said, “we” as in that’s what the board as a whole says. I think that’s pretty accurate.

The fans were good when we were good. They have had 16 years of garbage teams to root for.

Play like the basketball team and you'll see the same fan support.
You obviously have been on the game chats when the hoop team is playing. JB is a lousy offensive coach. The zone can't be successful in this era. etc. etc.

And I didn’t specifically say you, did I? I said, “we” as in that’s what the board as a whole says. I think that’s pretty accurate.
You were responding to my post. Stars matter. A team of 4 stars will beat a team of 2 stars the majority of the time.

The fans were good when we were good. They have had 16 years of garbage teams to root for.

Play like the basketball team and you'll see the same fan support.

Not really. We rarely even sold out a 50,000 seat stadium when we were good.

And the fans were a bunch of mouthbreathing babies whenever we lost back then too. I remember a TON of empty seats when we played Tulane in ‘97, because we were 1-3. Then everyone jumped on the wagon again when we started blowing everybody out.

Fair weather, pro football mentality fans for the most part. It’s rare to come across someone that knows jack sh7t about Syracuse football.

You obviously have been on the game chats when the hoop team is playing. JB is a lousy offensive coach. The zone can't be successful in this era. etc. etc.

The bball team still puts up 20+ win seasons and tournament runs even if people disagree with a call or performance here and there.

The football team hasn't shown that consistency since the 1990's.

Dino wants faith without belief. At some point you need to show results. W's not L's.

We haven't "turned the corner." But we are trending in the right direction.

We will have stability, a good recruiting class coming in, and we're getting the hang of our system.

The bball team still puts up 20+ win seasons and tournament runs even if people disagree with a call or performance here and there.

The football team hasn't shown that consistency since the 1990's.

Dino wants faith without belief. At some point you need to show results. W's not L's.
At some point isn't the second season, I don't believe. Although, we fired the last coach after just three seasons. And he lost qb's for more than one game.

Not really. We rarely even sold out a 50,000 seat stadium when we were good.

And the fans were a bunch of mouthbreathing babies whenever we lost back then too. I remember a TON of empty seats when we played Tulane in ‘97, because we were 1-3. Then everyone jumped on the wagon again when we started blowing everybody out.

Fair weather, pro football mentality fans for the most part. It’s rare to come across someone that knows jack sh7t about Syracuse football.

I hate saying that SU fans have a pro mentality. Pro fans sell out their stadiums for the most part.

We are not coming close to going backwards. STOP THAT! We compete in every game. We didn't do that in the very recent past. We don't have any soft games. The player influx will take time. They players from the past regime are too slow, too small and not good enough.

Oh...getting beat by 35 points in the second half against Wake is a step in the right direction. We got our asses kicked, at home, in a must win. Must be a talent problem. Step forward. Definitely.

You were responding to my post. Stars matter. A team of 4 stars will beat a team of 2 stars the majority of the time.

I was responding to your post, from you originally responding to me. I agree, 2 star talent teams will be lucky to be 4 star teams. I’m not sure what your point is because it just validates my whole point, especially in relation to Clemson

I was responding to your post, from you originally responding to me. I agree, 2 star talent teams will be lucky to be 4 star teams. I’m not sure what your point is because it just validates my whole point, especially in relation to Clemson
Actually no. The reason we won has a lot to do with coaching. Not luck.

Oh...getting beat by 35 points in the second half against Wake is a step in the right direction. We got our asses kicked, at home, in a must win. Must be a talent problem. Step forward. Definitely.

Bad game. We’ve been competitive all year. Calm down.

Other then a temper tantrum. What is your main point here? That we had a disappointing loss? That our coaches blow? What is it?