We need to hit the transfer portal. | Syracusefan.com

We need to hit the transfer portal.

Crusty

Living Legend
The transfer portal is changing the face of CFB. Moribund programs can rebuild quickly andediocre programs can improve by adding players at positions of need. The losers are the destination programs that do not have enough playing time to go around.
CFB is all about quarterback play. Sorry to say we would not be 3-0 with TD. GS is a huge improvement and a lesson that we need a dual threat QB because of our inability to recruit and develop OLinemen consistently.

CDRW at the very least provides some depth and may be the starter of the future.

At the very least we can build depth in key areas where we struggle to recruit.

IMO we need to bring in receivers and linemen.

The portal changes everything and with our current staff and exciting offense we should be able to close the talent gap with wise use.
LGO

The transfer portal is changing the face of CFB. Moribund programs can rebuild quickly andediocre programs can improve by adding players at positions of need. The losers are the destination programs that do not have enough playing time to go around.
CFB is all about quarterback play. Sorry to say we would not be 3-0 with TD. GS is a huge improvement and a lesson that we need a dual threat QB because of our inability to recruit and develop OLinemen consistently.

CDRW at the very least provides some depth and may be the starter of the future.

The portal changes everything and with our current staff and exciting offense we should be able to close the talent gap with wise use.
LGO
WRs are number one to me, beyond the emerging OG II we just don’t have a consistent and reliable pass catcher

I dont see that WR is the issue.. But we dont have an elite guy for sure.
If you want to compete with the best teams in the ACC you need at least 1 elite WR. It is an issue.

WR is a huge improvement. Gasden and Jones are big upgrades over what we've been forced to watch.

Alford is unreliable but does good things and Jackson/Cooper are pedestrian WRs who have at least been better this year than last.

I hope Jones is OK and not out too long. I think the 3 big guys are key especially because some of Garretts throws lack zip.

Every year, I think the staff should be looking to add OL / DL via the portal. Proven guys who are ready to step right in, bolster the lineup, and make a push to start. And I think this year, when we get to a bowl, will make Syracuse a more attractive destination for such transfers.

But this might be a year where we have a LOT of attrition. LB, DB, etc. Some quality portal adds would be nice.

I mean there are going to be as many teams looking for transfers as transfers looking for teams. Easier said than done.

I think Del Rio Wilson is going to be a good one. Shrader takes a lot of hits I don't know at what point you consider possibly playing both.

We need help on the OL and really need a reliable possession WR to replace Jackson and Cooper.

What happens at RB if Tucker doesn't play his way into draft discussions?

We need OL. That should be portal priority every year.

OL and DT are the two positions where we struggle the most. I know, lock it and darken. But I think the portal gives us a chance to potentially add enhanced quality at those positions.

Dino has been hitting the Portal (Transfers). Alton Robinson was a transfer; Cody Roscoe was a transfer; Garrett Shrader was a transfer; CDRW came through the portal; 3 DB's on the two-deep came through the portal; two wide receivers, one from Michigan State, came through the portal, though I don't think they've seen game action.

I think Dino and the other coaches are working the portal best as they can. They seemed to really want Verse, but that didn't work out. Like RF2044 said above OL and DL are the real positions of constant need that can be improved through the portal. Though, even those two positions have a young crop that should see the field next year or maybe later this year (esp. DL).

Dino has been hitting the Portal (Transfers). Alton Robinson was a transfer; Cody Roscoe was a transfer; Garrett Shrader was a transfer; CDRW came through the portal; 3 DB's on the two-deep came through the portal; two wide receivers, one from Michigan State, came through the portal, though I don't think they've seen game action.

I think Dino and the other coaches are working the portal best as they can. They seemed to really want Verse, but that didn't work out. Like RF2044 said above OL and DL are the real positions of constant need that can be improved through the portal. Though, even those two positions have a young crop that should see the field next year or maybe later this year (esp. DL).

I think you're right about DL -- the entire group of players we have a primarily true frosh, redshirt frosh, or sophomore. Only Okechukwu is listed as a junior.

Will be interesting to see if guys like Jaquez, Nolton, Fuentes-Cundiff, Bassette, and Jobity challenge for PT next season, with a year of practice / S & C under their belts. Because that's a lot of young talent in the pipeline, for a team with an already decent, young two-deep.

Sorry, I don’t understand the point of this post right now. Yes, Syracuse has benefitted from the portal in terms of QB. Yes, there’s obvious areas for improvement. And yes, the staff needs to monitor and be aware of who is coming up and will likely be available that would be a good fit.

That said, it’s still too early in the season to say definitively what holes need to be filled next year. Gadsden may be emerging at WR, the reps and experience will only pay off for a young DL, Derek McDonald may end up becoming a huge piece in the LB trio of Thompson, Wax, McDonald next year because of all of his reps this year.

Maybe Enrique gets some snaps and stands out, maybe the snaps Joe Cruz got last week will launch him going into next year.

Basically, my point is - what’s the point about talking about the portal now when the main purpose of having a team is right in front of us now? If iron sharpens iron, let’s see where we stand after 8 or 9 games before worrying about needs for next year.

We've had really nice transfer success stories, as mentioned - layer in some more winning and I think the portal will just become even more of our friend.

I mentioned it elsewhere but our sweet spot in terms of building talent is going to be recruiting 3 star guys out of highschool that are system fits and out play their ranking, and supplement that core with select 4 star talent from other schools that don't like their path to playing time.

I think we can be a very appealing transfer destination.

LGO
Did you tell Dino about the portal? Maybe he's unaware of it.

I'm starting to warm up to that Gadsden fella. Smooth route runner, great hands.

I see the same in Jones, hope he's ok and back on the field soon.

One overrated thing from the game yesterday is Alford's role on both Gadsden TDs. First one, his blocking down field was excellent. Second one, he was the deep decoy (and was probably open) that drew in the free safety.

All 3 of those guys are on the younger side too.

Cooper and Jackson are the old men are both solid.

I think we're ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom