We were fooled | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We were fooled

Both programs lost offense. Look I watched and ours last night was mind numbing bad. But one game, especially against that opponent, is a mighty small sample size.

It sure is a small sample size but the "that" opponent is infuriating. I'll never accept that we have become a middle of the pack ACC team. Im sorry we should better than that. We're not the only team to play our first game of the year. We're not the only team that lost players. We're not the only team to play against a great team.

We have a hall of fame coach and his team scored less than 35 points. There is no way to spin this. Cole Anthony scored as many points as our entire freaking team did last night.

It’s comical how folks get off by criticizing people for being optimistic going into a season. There is so much darkness in this world it’s actually therapeutic for me to think happy thoughts about my sports team. And there’s no way I’m going crazy over last nights performance. It’s one game in what I hope is a 35+ game season. Grab a beer, sit back and relax.

It sure is a small sample size but the "that" opponent is infuriating. I'll never accept that we have become a middle of the pack ACC team. Im sorry we should better than that. We're not the only team to play our first game of the year. We're not the only team that lost players. We're not the only team to play against a great team.

We have a hall of fame coach and his team scored less than 35 points. There is no way to spin this. Cole Anthony scored as many points as our entire freaking team did last night.
It counts as one loss to a quality opponent. If we score in the 30s against Iowa and Georgetown I likely will come over to your side.
Of course losing that exhibition to LeMoyne doomed SU that year.

When St. Bonaventure wins a recruit over SU. The puppies beat us for two kids who dont crack the top 50 and we have a 6'10 100 180 pounds center its fairly obvious things are not trendind well.

When St. Bonaventure wins a recruit over SU. The puppies beat us for two kids who dont crack the top 50 and we have a 6'10 100 180 pounds center its fairly obvious things are not trendind well.
lol Really? The kid we lost to St Bonnie was not a high priority recruit for us but was for them. I have a crazy idea. Why don't we wait until the IJ thing pans out before we start with this.

It’s comical how folks get off by criticizing people for being optimistic going into a season. There is so much darkness in this world it’s actually therapeutic for me to think happy thoughts about my sports team. And there’s no way I’m going crazy over last nights performance. It’s one game in what I hope is a 35+ game season. Grab a beer, sit back and relax.

I wasn't criticizing people for being optimistic. I agree it is psychically better than being negative (pre-season), but there's a touch of annual irrationalism in some postings that seems to result in a kind of bi-polar sense of personal betrayal when the season, team or player, doesn't live up to the hope/hype.

Better to be a little skeptical and take the optimism with a grain of salt, especially after so many years of below expectation results imo. There's also way too many pre-season absolutists posts. there's nothing wrong with qualifying an opinion with a 'I think' 'maybe' 'possibly' 'if' 'could' 'might'. It gives you an escape route...debate 101.

The same is probably true about chronically negative posts.

I think TV and Radio sports talk show shtick has crept into some poster's posting mannerisms.

1573171831801.png

And they do.

That's it! The season's over!

What? Over?
Did you say "over"?

Nothing is over until we decide it is!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Hell, no!
And it ain't over now.
'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

[pregnant pause]

the tough get goin'!

Who's with me? Let's go! Come on!

Last edited:
lol Really? The kid we lost to St Bonnie was not a high priority recruit for us but was for them. I have a crazy idea. Why don't we wait until the IJ thing pans out before we start with this.
The recruiting has been average. IJ would be our best recruiting win since Hop left.

The recruiting has been average. IJ would be our best recruiting win since Hop left.

hop didn’t bring anyone his last couple years. Why? I’m not sure, but after Lydon/Mali signed early in 2013 we didn’t get anyone he recruited.

hop didn’t bring anyone his last couple years. Why? I’m not sure, but after Lydon/Mali signed early in 2013 we didn’t get anyone he recruited.
I wonder why?

This isn't your brother's uva team. This was the perfect time to get them and not only did we lose we embarrassed ourselves.
This was the same thought I had watching that. Yes, they were still very solid defensively, but that UVA offense...was not good! If anyone on here thinks that team is the 11th best team in the country, I am very scared for you. Do I think we turn things around and get better offensively...absolutely. But do I think we will be consistent enough to really compete this year in the ACC, I really don't think so.

It's been better than Virginia's the past few years...maybe install an offense.

Didn't he bring in Battle?

I think JB really took that over for himself at the end.

I dont know, but saying 2013 isn't really fair. Especially when Hops connection to the family was so strong.

I may be misremembering but I think the Battles were very upset when Hop left and made comments about his departure.

I dont know, but saying 2013 isn't really fair. Especially when Hops connection to the family was so strong.

I may be misremembering but I think the Battles were very upset when Hop left and made comments about his departure.

even so that is one guy from 2013-2017. Lydon and Mali were locked up by December 2013.

even so that is one guy from 2013-2017. Lydon and Mali were locked up by December 2013.

I keep hearing that Gmac wasnt recruting during that timeframe either because he was 3rd chair, I hop Red got paid extra since he literally recruited every player since 2013 except Tyus Battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom