Week 5 Uniforms for Holy Cross | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Week 5 Uniforms for Holy Cross

If that choice is repeated over and over, it becomes a tradition. Standing and clapping until the basketball team scores is a tradition at SU. It's not spelled out anywhere on the syracuse. edu site.
The link you provided is not an athletics department restriction, rather it governs the usage of colors in correspondence, advertising and graphics. It is a separate topic than athletics uniform colors.
Don’t bother, it’s like trying to teach a pig to sing.

Awful.

The Athletic Department just doesn't get it.

You go back to the classic uniform for a reason - because it is the program's brand - it is immediately recognizable - it allows fans and viewers to identify the program.

Changing the look every week destroys the brand - it prevents easy recognition by the fan and the viewer.

That is why USC, Texas, Auburn, Alabama, Penn State - traditional programs - don't mess with their brands - they want to remain quickly recognizable.

I don't want to watch my team try to look like the Vinnie Testaverde Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the Miami Hurricanes or what are we this week? The Chicago Bears on Thursday Night Football?

I want my team to look like my team - Syracuse University Football.

Especially when my team's brand is one of the best in the history of college football.

Last edited:
DM 1987 Home.jpg

Don’t bother, it’s like trying to teach a pig to sing.
I take great pleasure in the disdain you have me. You are literally the only person I have gotten PMs from people saying I am less of annoyance than.

Lord knows you know all and are never wrong about anything. Please continue I honestly take pride how passive aggressive you are. I actually feel bad for you for how much rage you can have somebody you literally don’t know and I have the same problem but I don’t have close to the same rage.

It’s amazing. Well done sir. Bravo. I wish you would a happy and safe day at work and continued health.

Awful.

You go back to the classic uniform for a reason - because it is the program's brand - it is immediately recognizable - it allows fans and viewers to identify the program.

Changing the look every week destroys the brand - it prevents easy recognition by the fan and the viewer.

That is why USC, Texas, Auburn, Alabama, Penn State - traditional programs - don't mess with their brands - they want to remain quickly recognizable.

I don't want to watch my team try to look like the Vinnie Testaverde Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the Miami Hurricanes or what are we this week? The Chicago Bears on Thursday Night Football?

Especially when my team's brand is one of the best in the history of college football.
I was watching the ESPN college football 150 special on segregation.
The showed old clips of a lot of teams.
Alabama used to wear white helmets under Bear Bryant.
They changed to crimson.

Teams like USC, Tennessee, Ohio State, Florida State, Florida have switched minor things.
I understand your position.
I think having readable numbers is important.
Beyond that we should always wear Orange helmets. The tops and pants could be changed and it wouldn’t really bother me when today’s kids like the ability to wear multiple looks.

It's threads like these that should help the AD realize not to try and please the fanbase with the choice of uniform design. Everyone is always complaining.

And some on here wouldn't be happy unless we wore all orange every game ...which would be horrific.

Variety is the spice of life ...as long as we dont get any of Oregon's ugly uniforms

Awful.

I think that ship has long since sailed. There have been so many changes since 2005, no one knows what the recognizable uniform and brand is anymore.

It's easy to say it's the look of the late 80s, and the 90s, when we were a national fixture, but with all the years gone by, there are people that can't even identify with that era.

They could just as easily look at the 1959 national championship uniform, and say, yeah, we don't look anything like that either.

It's unfortunate, but can't be changed. Our best bet would have been to stick with the 2012 look, but we screwed that up too.

It's threads like these that should help the AD realize not to try and please the fanbase with the choice of uniform design. Everyone is always complaining.

And some on here wouldn't be happy unless we wore all orange every game ...which would be horrific.

Variety is the spice of life ...as long as we dont get any of Oregon's ugly uniforms

I think most people just want what has for the most part been our standard colors...orange helmets and orange pants, and alternating between white and blue jerseys.

I think most people just want what has for the most part been our standard colors...orange helmets and orange pants, and alternating between white and blue jerseys.
This goes back to the saying when something is subjective nobody's opinion is right or wrong. When its objective its quantitative and measurable. Preference for the jerseys is clearly not objective its subjective.
Thus nobody is right or wrong as long they have their own opinion.

This goes back to the saying when something is subjective nobody's opinion is right or wrong. When its objective its quantitative and measurable. Preference for the jerseys is clearly not objective its subjective.
Thus nobody is right or wrong as long they have their own opinion.

I was just addressing his “most people want us to wear all Orange all the time”. I don’t get that feeling. IMO, most people see all Orange as a one off thing each year.

I was just addressing his “most people want us to wear all Orange all the time”. I don’t get that feeling. IMO, most people see all Orange as a one off thing each year.
I would say it goes back to what Millhouse said our nickname is Orange so it should be featured pretty prominently.
I would want more Orange but my belief is only have the Orange helmet. Then mix the combos but I prefer the Orange top to Blue top because we are the Orange and believe the Orange top should be de facto primary home jersey.

The same people who prefer the Blue top/Orange pants IMO probably don't like the basketball team wearing blue jerseys because of tradition.

Nobody likes the blue basketball uniforms because we've never won with them.

Lost in 1988.

Lost in 2008.

And then there's the end of our 25 game winning streak in 2014...

1569507955223.png

I completely understand the tradionalists' argument:
1) You want something consistent to maintain branding
2) You want a uniform combo you are familiar with and have grown up with.

I get this side of the argument and appreciate it ...to some extent

However, for me (And I've grown up with the Orange being a fan since 1993 when I could appreciate football):
1) The OBO look is getting tired (IMO), even though it was worn in Cuse's heyday. And as someone else said, Blue is not even the official secondary color
2) I LOVE white as a secondary color. Cant get enough of it. I thought last weeks uniforms were the best in 20 years ...The WOW factor!
3) If you want recruits to engage with branding, you can't have a uniform that looks like it still belongs in the 1980's. Sorry OBO's
4) If you are 45 and older, sit in your barcalounger with a beer and beer belly, have a full grown-man beard, and wear a flannel shirt with Daluth Trading Company jeans, you have absolutely lost the right to critique uniform designs.

I would say it goes back to what Millhouse said our nickname is Orange so it should be featured pretty prominently.
I would want more Orange but my belief is only have the Orange helmet. Then mix the combos but I prefer the Orange top to Blue top because we are the Orange and believe the Orange top should be de facto primary home jersey.

The same people who prefer the Blue top/Orange pants IMO probably don't like the basketball team wearing blue jerseys because of tradition.
duke always wears a lot of blue
stanford, alabama, texas tech, harvard, rutgers always wears a lot of red
tulane wears lots of green

but our dedicated intern at nike doesn't like the color orange

Nobody likes the blue basketball uniforms because we've never won with them.

Lost in 1988.

Lost in 2008.

And then there's the end of our 25 game winning streak in 2014...

View attachment 170526

I'm probably on an island here, but had those unis pictured with Enis had the same navy matching jerseys, I think they would've been pretty sweet. Those '88 unis were putrid because of the particular hue of that blue, it was more like a slate muted type blue than navy. However, the Syracuse script was perfect. :)

Pants that are the same color as the jersey, unless both are white, look sort of stupid.

When they're blue, they look very stupid.

And people who think differently are wrong.

1569512559929.png

This isn't my favorite, but the new style with the stripes and number design help break it up a little, so it's better than the same combo with last year's.

As long as we never go all blue I can live with O-B-B.

I like the orange tops. People can like the blue but it’s not an official color.
We could literally make the second color to orange anything.
We could be orange and pink, or orange and black, or orange and blue.

The blue is just the colour we adopted but it’s not an official color.
True, but I believe blue is considered the appropriate complement to orange if you go by a color wheel. That's probably why it's so prevalent in a variety of shades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom