Weitsman | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Weitsman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing he’s out. New NIL guy based in Syracuse.

Also hearing Gmac is probably out, and DEVO may be added to staff with the support of the new NIL guy. Also, a chance Blackwell is added to the staff. Griffin to be promoted to associate HC position.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
Nope.

& GMAC isn't going anywhere.

I’m willing to bet people don’t know about 90% of the things he does for people and the community.
Two things can be true at the same time.

1. I trust you guys who say that Weitsman does a ton of good in the CNY community and a lot of it is unpublicized. I’m sure that’s true.

2. It’s true that Weitsman is a relentless publicity hound who’s Instagram feed is the very definition of douchey “influencer” bro.

I don’t know why people argue about these two, parallel truths.

Nope.

Jim's not the coach anymore. I would be surprised if GMac doesn't want to start leading his own program, and getting ready for a bigger job. Yes, he and his wife have young kids here.

But he is a legend in PA and could probably land a pretty good starter job as HC. I could see him at a number of places that would be glad to have him.

Bucknell traditionally makes the tournament a fair amount, but they are coming off a bad year (12-20, 10th place in the Patriot League) and could be looking for a new coach.

Drexel finished middle of the pack in the Colonial League, with a 17-15 record. They are urban Philly, though, and maybe he's not the best fit there.

Lafayette finished 6th in the Patriot League to Colgate. They made the NCAAs back in 2015, but really don't have much history. Not a lot of pressure there; could give him time to get his feet. Lafayette is in Easton, PA, which is NEPA country. He could probably jack up their recruiting to a level they've never seen before.

St. Francis (PA) is located about mid-way between State College and Pittsburgh. Jim Barron used to coach there in the 80s/90s and did pretty well. The current coach, Rob Kimmel, has been there 11 years, and he has been to the post season (mostly CIT and NIT, but they are trending up ...) four times between 2015 and 2019. Finished middle of the pack in the Northeastern Conference this year. After 11 years, this guy might be ready to leave, but I would kind of bet against it.

That leaves Duquesne in Pittsburgh. They finished 6th in the Atlantic 10. Western PA is not NEPA. This would probably be the highest risk among these coaching jobs, because it's the toughest league of the smaller schools in PA, and he's got no experience. They would be less forgiving than some of these other schools.

If I was Gerry's manager, this would be the conversation I'd be having with him right now.

Jim's not the coach anymore. I would be surprised if GMac doesn't want to start leading his own program, and getting ready for a bigger job. Yes, he and his wife have young kids here.

But he is a legend in PA and could probably land a pretty good starter job as HC. I could see him at a number of places that would be glad to have him.

Bucknell traditionally makes the tournament a fair amount, but they are coming off a bad year (12-20, 10th place in the Patriot League) and could be looking for a new coach.

Drexel finished middle of the pack in the Colonial League, with a 17-15 record. They are urban Philly, though, and maybe he's not the best fit there.

Lafayette finished 6th in the Patriot League to Colgate. They made the NCAAs back in 2015, but really don't have much history. Not a lot of pressure there; could give him time to get his feet. Lafayette is in Easton, PA, which is NEPA country. He could probably jack up their recruiting to a level they've never seen before.

St. Francis (PA) is located about mid-way between State College and Pittsburgh. Jim Barron used to coach there in the 80s/90s and did pretty well. The current coach, Rob Kimmel, has been there 11 years, and he has been to the post season (mostly CIT and NIT, but they are trending up ...) four times between 2015 and 2019. Finished middle of the pack in the Northeastern Conference this year. After 11 years, this guy might be ready to leave, but I would kind of bet against it.

That leaves Duquesne in Pittsburgh. They finished 6th in the Atlantic 10. Western PA is not NEPA. This would probably be the highest risk among these coaching jobs, because it's the toughest league of the smaller schools in PA, and he's got no experience. They would be less forgiving than some of these other schools.

If I was Gerry's manager, this would be the conversation I'd be having with him right now.

He was responding to someone who said Gmac was probably out.

Look, I want Weitsman to help. I want to be the best team. He gives us that chance to compete with others the way NIL is. From everything Weitsman has ever done, it’s all about him. He brings famous people to games for his own exposure. There really isn’t any other reason why he would do this. With NIL he will do it, but again it all comes back to him. He doesn’t want to do it if it doesn’t bring attention back to him. He doesn’t want to spend money if he is not recognized for it.

IMO he will never agree to donate towards NIL unless he is recognized for it. He will refuse to play by the schools rules.

He should take some tips from Ted Danson.

IMO he will never agree to donate towards NIL unless he is recognized for it.
omg. Why does the university care if he is in the spotlight? Are they jealous? The worst that happens is we get slapped on the wrist. The guy the NCAA despised is no longer our coach.

Nope.

I love hearing names like Blackwell and Devo as ass't coaches. Neither of those guys have ever recruited at the D-1 level. The guy Red hires will have D-1 coaching experience and even more importantly, D-1 recruiting experience. We need a stud recruiter in a prime recruiting area. Neither Ryan or Devo fit that bill. True Orangemen sure. But it is that kind of thinking that helped get us in this situation. Red isn't going to make that mistake.

I love hearing names like Blackwell and Devo as ass't coaches. Neither of those guys have ever recruited at the D-1 level. The guy Red hires will have D-1 coaching experience and even more importantly, D-1 recruiting experience. We need a stud recruiter in a prime recruiting area. Neither Ryan or Devo fit that bill. True Orangemen sure. But it is that kind of thinking that helped get us in this situation. Red isn't going to make that mistake.
^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

Seems like the Weitsman rumors might be true unfortunately. Listened to Devo and Kris Jo podcast this morning and Devo brought it up and it sounds basically word for word whats been described by some here. Around the 48 minute mark here for those that want to check it out:
Interesting listen. But yeah….they need a 7 second delay.

What, you don’t bring your own personal photographer to document all of the good deeds you do and all of the celebrities you hang out with?

They’re not celebrities….. they’re “personal” friends that don’t mind a little extra $ to hang out

Yep. It’s no coincidence that our recruiting had a MAJOR uptick when we brought Weaver on staff and then Murphy. Gotta have that ace recruiter to reach another level (along with some NIL boosters nowadays). Hell, the assistant we bring in may even have a close NIL connection themselves.

Wow! I just saw on Twitter that GMac was promoted to Associate Head Coach, over Griffin.
Shocker to me. I hope we can add a good recruiter with AAU ties to the Philly / Balt / DC corridor.

There’s a long thread on the board you must have missed.

For once can the university stop trying to be the “nice guy” who goes to church and combs their hair? Nice guys finish last for a reason.

Just live a little. Get slapped on the wrist a little. And win some effin games!
No school bends over for the NCAA as much as us. Everyone else gives them the middle finger.

Ryan or Devo only made sense if Gerry was leaving.
I love Devo's personality. I think he could really inject some moxie into the team.

There’s a long thread on the board you must have missed.

Yes, apparently I did. I haven't been reading here a lot the last few days.
Had disasters with 2 computers the last week, plus I've been taking a 2 month course at Cornell Law School on Securities Law since the beginning of February.
Insanely busy.

Somebody help me out. I’m reading through this thread, and I still can’t figure out what AW did to make him on the outs with SU or make people here so upset with him.

Is everything he does totally selfless? Of course not. But I still have trouble seeing him as anything but a net-positive for Syracuse. To me, it is much more weird how much people care about his means of bringing guests than him paying them to be there. Like, why do you care? The guests are good. Does it help recruit? Maybe, probably not too much. But it isn’t hurting anyone or anything. Jalen Hurts there had so much social media presence this season. A net-positive, not debatable.

Why would Cuse push this guy out. Makes no logical sense. Unless you don’t care about NIL recruiting and money. Same for fans, if you think he is a self promoter, who gives a (curse word)? Why are you so bothered by that? He’s clearly trying to build a brand of some sort, I don’t care too much about that, but I do appreciate his contributions to help bring our athletic department into the modern era. Help me understand!

Somebody help me out. I’m reading through this thread, and I still can’t figure out what AW did to make him on the outs with SU or make people here so upset with him.

Is everything he does totally selfless? Of course not. But I still have trouble seeing him as anything but a net-positive for Syracuse. To me, it is much more weird how much people care about his means of bringing guests than him paying them to be there. Like, why do you care? The guests are good. Does it help recruit? Maybe, probably not too much. But it isn’t hurting anyone or anything. Jalen Hurts there had so much social media presence this season. A net-positive, not debatable.

Why would Cuse push this guy out. Makes no logical sense. Unless you don’t care about NIL recruiting and money. Same for fans, if you think he is a self promoter, who gives a (curse word)? Why are you so bothered by that? He’s clearly trying to build a brand of some sort, I don’t care too much about that, but I do appreciate his contributions to help bring our athletic department into the modern era. Help me understand!

Syverud thinks we're an Ivy.

Two things can be true at the same time.

1. I trust you guys who say that Weitsman does a ton of good in the CNY community and a lot of it is unpublicized. I’m sure that’s true.

2. It’s true that Weitsman is a relentless publicity hound who’s Instagram feed is the very definition of douchey “influencer” bro.

I don’t know why people argue about these two, parallel truths.
2 is completely irrelevant though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors