Weitsman | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Weitsman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares if he’s publicizing himself? The money is still green and he’s not doing anything illegal.

Get over it, boomers, time’s have changed. Do you want to win or do you want to put your nose up and look like snobby d-bags?

Pathetic display from the school - yet again.

It’s not…when that publicity negatively affects the university.

The ncaa recently dinged Miami and specifically said they were reacting to social media posts that outlined violations.

I mean…they are telling you exactly what not to do…
When has it impacted them negatively? I’d like someone to point to a post that is a violation. I see zero. Maybe I’m missing something.

Somebody help me out. I’m reading through this thread, and I still can’t figure out what AW did to make him on the outs with SU or make people here so upset with him.

Is everything he does totally selfless? Of course not. But I still have trouble seeing him as anything but a net-positive for Syracuse. To me, it is much more weird how much people care about his means of bringing guests than him paying them to be there. Like, why do you care? The guests are good. Does it help recruit? Maybe, probably not too much. But it isn’t hurting anyone or anything. Jalen Hurts there had so much social media presence this season. A net-positive, not debatable.

Why would Cuse push this guy out. Makes no logical sense. Unless you don’t care about NIL recruiting and money. Same for fans, if you think he is a self promoter, who gives a (curse word)? Why are you so bothered by that? He’s clearly trying to build a brand of some sort, I don’t care too much about that, but I do appreciate his contributions to help bring our athletic department into the modern era. Help me understand!

First, Weitsman hangs out with some folks the school probably wouldn't be too happy to be associated with, even indirectly (Dan Bilzerian, Martin Shkreli come to mind). Adam is free to associate with whomever he likes but the school would be justifiably leery.

Second, giving money away is big business for the super wealthy. Some of the other big boosters at other schools have more direct ties to the schools than AW has to Syracuse. Why Syracuse? Why not LIU? It's a fair question, what is in it for him?

First, Weitsman hangs out with some folks the school probably wouldn't be too happy to be associated with, even indirectly (Dan Bilzerian, Martin Shkreli come to mind). Adam is free to associate with whomever he likes but the school would be justifiably leery.

Second, giving money away is big business for the super wealthy. Some of the other big boosters at other schools have more direct ties to the schools than AW has to Syracuse. Why Syracuse? Why not LIU? It's a fair question, what is in it for him?
Being leery is acceptable. Keep him at arms length, which they already did. It’s not like you see SU promoting him ever. But pushing him out when he has only done positive things for Syracuse based on leeriness is dumb.

In the current state of college athletics, there is always going to be some leeriness. Such is life, but don’t shut everyone out because of a fear that hasn’t even been realized.

Being leery is acceptable. Keep him at arms length, which they already did. It’s not like you see SU promoting him ever. But pushing him out when he has only done positive things for Syracuse based on leeriness is dumb.

In the current state of college athletics, there is always going to be some leeriness. Such is life, but don’t shut everyone out because of a fear that hasn’t even been realized.

I guess that depends on what the value of that positive is versus the risks and costs (security, services, etc..) SU doesn't need to promote him, but he is certainly using the games (and therefore the school) to promote himself. Perhaps with a full picture of ledgers going both ways the school felt AW was getting the better of the deal?

Jim's not the coach anymore. I would be surprised if GMac doesn't want to start leading his own program, and getting ready for a bigger job. Yes, he and his wife have young kids here.

But he is a legend in PA and could probably land a pretty good starter job as HC. I could see him at a number of places that would be glad to have him.

Bucknell traditionally makes the tournament a fair amount, but they are coming off a bad year (12-20, 10th place in the Patriot League) and could be looking for a new coach.

Drexel finished middle of the pack in the Colonial League, with a 17-15 record. They are urban Philly, though, and maybe he's not the best fit there.

Lafayette finished 6th in the Patriot League to Colgate. They made the NCAAs back in 2015, but really don't have much history. Not a lot of pressure there; could give him time to get his feet. Lafayette is in Easton, PA, which is NEPA country. He could probably jack up their recruiting to a level they've never seen before.

St. Francis (PA) is located about mid-way between State College and Pittsburgh. Jim Barron used to coach there in the 80s/90s and did pretty well. The current coach, Rob Kimmel, has been there 11 years, and he has been to the post season (mostly CIT and NIT, but they are trending up ...) four times between 2015 and 2019. Finished middle of the pack in the Northeastern Conference this year. After 11 years, this guy might be ready to leave, but I would kind of bet against it.

That leaves Duquesne in Pittsburgh. They finished 6th in the Atlantic 10. Western PA is not NEPA. This would probably be the highest risk among these coaching jobs, because it's the toughest league of the smaller schools in PA, and he's got no experience. They would be less forgiving than some of these other schools.

If I was Gerry's manager, this would be the conversation I'd be having with him right now.
About what?

I guess that depends on what the value of that positive is versus the risks and costs (security, services, etc..) SU doesn't need to promote him, but he is certainly using the games (and therefore the school) to promote himself. Perhaps with a full picture of ledgers going both ways the school felt AW was getting the better of the deal?
This was the issue I heard. Plus there might have been an infraction with flying the recruit up with a celebrity.

It’s fair to ask why not LIU? He’s from the general area, Owego. SU is a heck of a lot closer and he’s good friends with JB. He’s also been coming to games long before NIL.

It’s fair to ask why not LIU? He’s from the general area, Owego. SU is a heck of a lot closer and he’s good friends with JB. He’s also been coming to games long before NIL.
Yeah, I'd say it's a fair question. Historically boosters give to their alma mater. I don't doubt at all he's good friends with Boeheim, but historically athletic boosting is a passion project for wealthy alum looking to give back to the institution they love and felt aided them on their voyage of success.

When someone breaks from that model, yeah, I ask questions. Maybe he is a huge Syracuse fan, I don't know. I do know he has used Syracuse games as a vehicle for self-promotion. I'm sure he has his reasons. But those reasons don't necessarily align with the school's interest.

Yeah, I'd say it's a fair question. Historically boosters give to their alma mater. I don't doubt at all he's good friends with Boeheim, but historically athletic boosting is a passion project for wealthy alum looking to give back to the institution they love and felt aided them on their voyage of success.

When someone breaks from that model, yeah, I ask questions. Maybe he is a huge Syracuse fan, I don't know. I do know he has used Syracuse games as a vehicle for self-promotion. I'm sure he has his reasons. But those reasons don't necessarily align with the school's interest.

Or, if their alma mater is a nobody in big time sports, they become a front runner, and back the most-nearby elite team.

I never said it was impossible, just that it makes me ask questions I otherwise wouldn't. And look, as others have alluded to, multiple things can be true at the same time:
AW can love SU sports.
He can do a ton of great things for charities.
He can be great friends with JB (and Red for that matter)
He can aggressively want to build his own brand and fortune.

All of those things can be true and the university might still have good reason to find the school's interests and his interests are not sufficiently in line to warrant a more involved partnership.

Wow! I just saw on Twitter that GMac was promoted to Associate Head Coach, over Griffin.
Shocker to me. I hope we can add a good recruiter with AAU ties to the Philly / Balt / DC corridor.
On Wednesday, Syracuse University announced that Gerry McNamara had been promoted to associate head coach by Autry. In addition, it was announced that SU assistant Allen Griffin would also remain on Autry’s coaching staff. :)

There are easy ways for him to not be “shut out”. He could donate money in the traditional way, such as what the Lalleys just did, or what Carmelo did. I imagine Weitsman has donated that way previously (at least I sure hope so) and I doubt SU wouldn’t want him to continue that in the future.

This seems to be specifically about NIL, and perhaps the very public way he has done that. He has the choice to abide by the process that SU is comfortable with, or not. Life will go on either way.

All of those things can be true and the university might still have good reason to find the school's interests and his interests are not sufficiently in line to warrant a more involved papartnership.
The school will need to flex if any of this is true. Not only has the NIL changed college sports but this isn't 1965 and people aren't walking around like in a scene from Mad Men.

College campuses are a microcosm of our country. A true melting pot of students from all over the world. Black, Brown, Yellow and White. People with dyed hair all colors and piercings and tattoos all over. And that's not just the students but the professors and staff members as well. Plus it's being broadcast all over the world through social media platforms, so 25 years from now the next generation can laugh.

Cuse better wake up and embrace AW for everything he stands for. If he ruffles some feathers, that's a shame because there might not be another person as passionate standing behind him in line.

Ryan or Devo only made sense if Gerry was leaving.
I love Devo's personality. I think he could really inject some moxie into the team.
Except we can add two non recruiting coaches this year. Think that was the thought with these guys.

Following the big breadcrumbs...SU changed its NIL policy a little over a month ago in response to new NCAA by laws regarding NIL that went into effect in January.

Per Carlson's article on 2/10, the head of NCAA enforcement said the [new] rule "eliminates the NCAA’s need to have a smoking gun — such as an outright confession or a text message proving a violation."

“The (new rules) allow us to take a common-sense view of a fact pattern and circumstantial evidence and take it to the school and say, ‘The burden is on you, institution, the burden is on you, Coach, to show it’s not (a violation)." If charged, the university is assumed to be guilty.

I think that it was Bayside44 who said that AW was "flying too close to the sun." It looks like SU no longer wants to draw that type of attention, even though AW was trying to do whatever he could to stay within guidelines. The NCAA moved the goalposts.

Following the big breadcrumbs...SU changed its NIL policy a little over a month ago in response to new NCAA by laws regarding NIL that went into effect in January.

Per Carlson's article on 2/10, the head of NCAA enforcement said the [new] rule "eliminates the NCAA’s need to have a smoking gun — such as an outright confession or a text message proving a violation."

“The (new rules) allow us to take a common-sense view of a fact pattern and circumstantial evidence and take it to the school and say, ‘The burden is on you, institution, the burden is on you, Coach, to show it’s not (a violation)." If charged, the university is assumed to be guilty.

I think that it was Bayside44 who said that AW was "flying too close to the sun." It looks like SU no longer wants to draw that type of attention, even though AW was trying to do whatever he could to stay within guidelines. The NCAA moved the goalposts.
Which hopefully means that AW could still provide support if inclined if he is willing to perhaps tone down or modify his approach some. It will be interesting to see if things get ironed out maybe down the road. Hard to believe AW just stops going to games, engaging with JB or Red for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom