Well respected musicians that you think "suck" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Well respected musicians that you think "suck"

Jimmy Buffet.

Listen to Jimmy Buffet. Then listen to The Wiggles. Then replace some lines in The Wiggles with drinking, food, or the beach. Add some steel drums. And that's where Jimmy Buffet came from, kids.

In my humble opinion, of course.

Jimmy Buffet.

Listen to Jimmy Buffet. Then listen to The Wiggles. Then replace some lines in The Wiggles with drinking, food, or the beach. Add some steel drums. And that's where Jimmy Buffet came from, kids.

In my humble opinion, of course.

A buddy of mine was a huge Parrothead. His fans are cult-like and I refused to drink the Kool-Aid. Another buddy of mine once "borrowed" Jimmy Buffet's jet ski. I prefer Coconut Pete.

A buddy of mine really dug them so I bought a few of their albums on his recommendation. At first listen, I liked maybe three or four songs. What put me off on giving them another listen was their attitude when they inducted Steve Miller into the Rock and Roll HOF. They whined that Steve didn't know them or their music. They made it about themselves in a douchetastic way. As far as music goes, my motto has always been "If you like it, I love it." To each their own. I'll still make fun of the band, of course, but not the fellow music lover.

By all means. That is total D-baggery. Remember when Oasis said they were the best thing since the Beatles? LOL. Kids prolly don't even know who Oasis is, these days... I seem to remember, Smashing Pumpkins busting back... We're the best thing since Molly Hatchet.

As a kid who grew up in the 80's who thought he had to learn 128th notes, Eruption, etc... I can't stand that stuff, and have found that the most difficult thing to do is completely stripped down - and to not suck at it. Reason I liked their 1st few albums. Bust away, I don't mind. ;-)

By all means. That is total D-baggery. Remember when Oasis said they were the best thing since the Beatles? LOL. Kids prolly don't even know who Oasis is, these days... I seem to remember, Smashing Pumpkins busting back... We're the best thing since Molly Hatchet.

As a kid who grew up in the 80's who thought he had to learn 128th notes, Eruption, etc... I can't stand that stuff, and have found that the most difficult thing to do is completely stripped down - and to not suck at it. Reason I liked their 1st few albums. Bust away, I don't mind. ;-)

Oasis was a good band but the Gallagher brothers are such world class they even hate each other.

The Grateful Dead. I was never interested in the whole scene with the Dead. How many shrooms do you need to eat before the music doesn't suck? No, I don't want to buy a grubby grilled cheese sandwich and some microdots from you in the parking lot. Take a bath, cut your hair, get a job. I have to listen to this crap for 3 1/2 hours? Goddammit.

A buddy of mine was a huge Parrothead. His fans are cult-like and I refused to drink the Kool-Aid. Another buddy of mine once "borrowed" Jimmy Buffet's jet ski. I prefer Coconut Pete.
Club Dread! The one time I liked the Buffet wannabe guy.

Your Big Lebowski/Eagles clip was perfect. My wife freaking HATES the Eagles. (I think the Hotel California solo, is great) She would have disembowled that cabbie, or torn his ear off, if he wasn't apologizing 10 seconds before... Sorry to say.. I really didn't care for the Big Lebowski. Good clip, though.

Why is Nirvana held in such high regard? Kurt was a mopey, barely talented heroin junkie mumbling nonsense lyrics in a smack-induced stupor. The one lyric his fans could understand turned out to be a lie. He did have a gun. What, too soon?

The Grateful Dead. I was never interested in the whole scene with the Dead. How many shrooms do you need to eat before the music doesn't suck? No, I don't want to buy a grubby grilled cheese sandwich and some microdots from you in the parking lot. Take a bath, cut your hair, get a job. I have to listen to this crap for 3 1/2 hours? Goddammit.

DING DING DING DING! Guessing you are a musician, MiniCuse. I was wondering how long it would take, for someone to mention the Grateful Dead. I thought about calling it the Grateful Dead thread, but I realize some people genuinely enjoy them. Didn't want to lessen that.

Couple decent tunes, I'll concede. The Jam thing? As a musician of 30+ years, if you go to a place where any decent musicians are screwing off? Good chance you'll hear better. Far better. Jerry Garcia simply pecked at notes that he knew were in key, like a random CPU program, or a trained Monkey... ouch. Sorry for that. Just my opinion. He did use an Envelope Filter... so there is that.

I've routinely "jammed" with some decent musicians. One guy with numerous Warner Brother credits, Another who played at Fenway, and opened for RHCP(I managed Better than Ezra), and the kid that replaced Warren Haynes, in the Allmans.. Dunno if that was Derrick Trucks, or some kid who flamed out. He was my buddies wife's, cousin, I'll have to ask, cuz I didn't care... But he was good. The one thing we all shared? Was WOW. The Grateful Dead suck.

Buddy of mine. Huge Dead fan. I drove his Vanagan around for years to concerts, because I didn't mind being sober. I wouldn't drive them to Dead shows. Reggae fests, Allman Bros., etc. No prob. He had all the bootlegs. His first Sober dead show? (of many).. "Wow. They sucked." When you get a chance to hear regular musicians screwing off? That is the only response.

Why is Nirvana held in such high regard? Kurt was a mopey, barely talented heroin junkie mumbling nonsense lyrics in a smack-induced stupor. The one lyric his fans could understand turned out to be a lie. He did have a gun. What, too soon?
I'll tell you. Because he saved the world from hair bands. Just like hair bands saved the world from Disco. THAT. Is significant.

The gun lyric is about dumb ass jocks firing off their mouths.

Bruce
Beatles
As a drummer I’m always amazed at the people who would list guys like Ringo or Charlie Watts as awesome drummers.
Dave Matthews
Neil Young/Bob Dylan/Tom Petty- all prove that there is absolutely no reason why I am not a famous singer, and I can’t sing either.
Kenny Chesney
I could go on forever, and a lot of today’s music would make it very easy.

I'll tell you. Because he saved the world from hair bands. Just like hair bands saved the world from Disco. THAT. Is significant.

I know. They still stuck.

Oh yeah, Cobain and Pearl Jam too. And RATM. See, I can’t stop.

Kurt, I've said enough. I liked Pearl Jam's debut but not much after that. I like about three Rage songs, never much cared for Morello's scritchy-scratchy guitar style. I do like the EP that Zach made with Jon Theodore of the Mars Volta.

Lummgr... Don't stop.

Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty. Terrible Singers(minus Young-matter of taste) Dylan meant something. Petty managed a decent pop tune. Pearl Jam's first album. Pulled the world away from Hair bands... Thank you.

I have a great affection for "Bad Singers" if they serve a purpose. My favorite being Black Francis, AKA Frank Black, AKA Charles Thompson, Pixies.

Rage? I freaking loved that stuff, don't understand the bust.

Kenny Chesney- vomit gif.

I'm not a big beatles fan. However. They introduced incredible concepts. My favorite being shifting from Major to Minor keys on the fly... Not the relative key(easy), the root key(hard).

As a drummer. If you're Clyde Stubblefield-esque, You're always in demand. If you're fibonacci Tool timed, you'll have to find your window.

Kurt, I've said enough. I liked Pearl Jam's debut but not much after that. I like about three Rage songs, never much cared for Morello's scritchy-scratchy guitar style. I do like the EP that Zach made with Jon Theodore of the Mars Volta.
Thanks for posting. First listen, and it's good. I like the Rhodes. It's practically as stripped as early Keys... This is not easy.

I stuck with Morello, and I thought Audioslave was turds... I have a buttload of guitar amps, and my main, is Morello's main... I was wrong on this one.

Lummgr... Don't stop.

Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty. Terrible Singers(minus Young-matter of taste) Dylan meant something. Petty managed a decent pop tune. Pearl Jam's first album. Pulled the world away from Hair bands... Thank you.

I have a great affection for "Bad Singers" if they serve a purpose. My favorite being Black Francis, AKA Frank Black, AKA Charles Thompson, Pixies.

Rage? I freaking loved that stuff, don't understand the bust.

Kenny Chesney- vomit gif.

I'm not a big beatles fan. However. They introduced incredible concepts. My favorite being shifting from Major to Minor keys on the fly... Not the relative key(easy), the root key(hard).

As a drummer. If you're Clyde Stubblefield-esque, You're always in demand. If you're fibonacci Tool timed, you'll have to find your window.
Well I am a hair band era guy, and some of my faves weren’t on top of the scene. I’m also into other metals though, so I balance out lol.

On the “metal” scene...
Poison was horrid.
Guns n Roses was worse than that. I got Appetite For Destruction as a gift and I think I used it to shim a table leg.
Korn? Give me a break. I saw them open for Ozzy when they broke, I had to stand out in the halls of the war memorial. I couldn’t take it, and his stupid noises.
NIN, no.
I know there’s more, I’ll be back.

Liked the Dead, never loved 'em. When they came to the War Memorial when I was at SU, people who I'd never met were crashing in our lounge on Lawrinson 16. People with no lives.

Does anyone really respect Jimmy Buffett? I like it when his name is spelled as 'Buffet'. $18 for a bleeping cheeseburger earns you that monicker. 'Wasting away again in Mediocreville'. Far be it for me to generalize (he lied), but Parrotheads are idiots.

Whoever mentioned Clapton is right on in my book. I remember the one-sentence review that Robert Christgau wrote about his 'Journeyman' album: "What did you think he was gonna call it--'Hack'?"

Well I am a hair band era guy, and some of my faves weren’t on top of the scene. I’m also into other metals though, so I balance out lol.

On the “metal” scene...
Poison was horrid.
Guns n Roses was worse than that. I got Appetite For Destruction as a gift and I think I used it to shim a table leg.
Korn? Give me a break. I saw them open for Ozzy when they broke, I had to stand out in the halls of the war memorial. I couldn’t take it, and his stupid noises.
NIN, no.

I grew up in the eighties and still have a fondness for a bunch of bands from the era.

Phish.

Yeah, they have talent, but so not for me.

Love em or hate em, you need to listen to this one. Best tune imo. Fractal/water bass/punk dwarf.

Hopefully, with an interesting reason.

Eric Clapton.

Clapton is a decent guitarist. About on par with the better guys in your local. area. Nothing against that.

My beef, is that he's known for other people's work, or cover songs. Here's a small list.

Crossroads: Robert Johnson
Cocaine: jj Cale
After midnight: jj Cale
Sunshine of your love: Jack Bruce
White room: Jack Bruce
Knocking on heavens door: Dylan
I shot the sheriff: Marley

Then there is Layla. Co-written with the drummer(who later killed his mother). Duane Allman wrote the guitar riff. The only tune he had a hand in, was about stealing another man's wife(George Harrison). Well, that sucks.

*For the record. Not throwing away the cream albums, and he was pretty good on gently weeps...

The very first name that came to my mind when I read the thread title before opening it. I never intentionally listen to his music. Immediate channel change.

On the “metal” scene...
Poison was horrid.
NIN, no.
80's guy, as well. Grew up in the middle of nowhere, and til we went off to college, we had no idea there were other bands out there. And it was awesome..

I remember loving Primus, Frizzle Fry, and Sailing the Seas of Cheese. I bought Pork Soda. I literally , threw it out my window.

Primus Sucks. And some of you know what I mean, by that.

80's guy, as well. Grew up in the middle of nowhere, and til we went off to college, we had no idea there were other bands out there. And it was awesome..

I remember loving Primus, Frizzle Fry, and Sailing the Seas of Cheese. I bought Pork Soda. I literally , threw it out my window.

Primus Sucks. And some of you know what I mean, by that.
Primus!!! See, this list will never end. So many terrible acts.
Imagine dragons, 21 pilots, and every other “rock” band out there today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom