Well respected musicians that you think "suck" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Well respected musicians that you think "suck"

One more reason I can't stand Eric Clapton. I was at SU when 'Derek & the Dominoes' came out. WAER played 'Layla' every bleeping hour. Didn't take me long to hate that song. So catchy, but so little there there.

To this day, I still talk about this with my therapist. Who's to say how my life would have turned out had 'Layla' never existed?

One more reason I can't stand Eric Clapton. I was at SU when 'Derek & the Dominoes' came out. WAER played 'Layla' every bleeping hour. Didn't take me long to hate that song. So catchy, but so little there there.

To this day, I still talk about this with my therapist. Who's to say how my life would have turned out had 'Layla' never existed?
I got news for you. That song is still over played. Classic rock radio has destroyed classic rock. Or at least the songs they play. I could care less if I ever hear Led Zeppelin hits again. Or Baba Oreilly. I love KISS but if I ever hear a “hit” again I won’t care.

:rolling:

If you haven't, please listen to this. It's so good, it hurts. Seriously.

For those who love/hate Phish and Primus.

Undoubtedly, they drew from the clip I posted.;-). Nice to have claypool on vox, and Trey mostly "guitar".
:vomit:

Steely Dan.

I have many musician friends, whose opinions I trust, and they tell me these guys are phenomenal. I wouldn't know. I've never been able to get through a song. Maybe I'm missing out. I may not ever be able, unless someone ties me down, and brain washes me clockwork Orange style... Have zero hate for them, just can't listen long enough to know.

The name is interesting. Copied from google:
Fans of Beat Generation literature, Fagen and Becker named the band after "Steely Dan III from Yokohama", an oversized, steam-powered strap-on dildo mentioned in the William S. Burroughs novel Naked Lunch.

So many have beat me to the punch already.

Pearl Jam
Phish
Greatful Dead
Jimmy Buffet
Clapton
Bob Dillon

Steely Dan.

I have many musician friends, whose opinions I trust, and they tell me these guys are phenomenal. I wouldn't know. I've never been able to get through a song. Maybe I'm missing out. I may not ever be able, unless someone ties me down, and brain washes me clockwork Orange style... Have zero hate for them, just can't listen long enough to know.

Dude - you have issues with ALOT of bands. Did an exgirlfriend step out on you with a musician or something? :oops:

Dude - you have issues with ALOT of bands. Did an exgirlfriend step out on you with a musician or something? :oops:

I guess he couldn't muster enough steam to compete with Steely Dan. What bands don't you like so we can all call you crazy?

Billy Joel is amazing if you like fat, drunk piano bar karaoke. I would give him props for bagging Christie Brinkley but it's her fault for taking pity on a hacky, Long Island dive bar amateur.

Steely Dan.

The name is interesting. Copied from google:
Fans of Beat Generation literature, Fagen and Becker named the band after "Steely Dan III from Yokohama", an oversized, steam-powered strap-on dildo mentioned in the William S. Burroughs novel Naked Lunch.

Interesting. My boss is a drummer for a few different bands, and he hates Steely Dan. Apparently there is a recording out there of the two principals ripping on other musicians they brought in to play with them.

I hate them all!! As a musician, I'm required to.(jk). Even the bands I love, I could prolly tell you something I think sucks about them. Why you think I started the thread? Doh!

I'm just really picky. Kinda sucks, actually.

Side note:

Watch the recent doc “Hired Gun”. Great watch about the brilliant musicians behind the stars including Joel, Mellencamp, Alice Cooper band members.

Great flick

Interesting. My boss is a drummer for a few different bands, and he hates Steely Dan. Apparently there is a recording out there of the two principals ripping on other musicians they brought in to play with them.
How many musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
One to do it, and the rest to say they could do it better.

U2 - their "music" has no soul or conviction. It's all just a vehicle for their narcissistic pseudo philosopher-king Bono.
Wilco & Arcade Fire - just syncopated noise
Dave Matthews
Pearl Jam & The Clash - what made anyone think what they do is music?
Metallica, AC/DC & Aerosmith (there's no difference in there that I can tell)
GnR flat out blows goats. It's like fingernails on the blackboard.
Nirvana made me want to 'ludes with freon
KISS and Van Halen were little more than post-new wave bubble gum
Lynyrd Skynyrd - an Allman Brothers wannabe band
Gram Parsons - was really sloppy during the years for which he's remembered (Chris Hillman told me that)

To the Beatles critics: you had to be there to see how different they were, and how they made everything that came after them different as well. Sgt Pepper's was as powerful a big bang as Elvis was in the 50's. No worries, though, different strokes for different folks.

Clapton was really an instrumentalist rather than a song writer. He completely re-made the Cale songs he covered. And he made speed sensible, he wasn't just a power shredder. There was no guesswork. He knew why certain notes could or shouldn't be played; he knew why you shouldn't play the flat 5th when the song moved to the 4 chord (I hope I got that right), and if he did play it, he did it for a reason. He didn't just play a wrong note and slide up one fret to hide it. And he knows where those notes are in every scale in each pentatonic box. He didn't have the creative genius of Hendrix, but his technical skills were no less, IMHO.

Last edited:
U2 - their "music" has no soul or conviction. It's all just a vehicle for their narcissistic pseudo philosopher-king Bono.
Wilco & Arcade Fire - just syncopated noise
Dave Matthews
Pearl Jam & The Clash - what made anyone think what they do is music?
Metallica, AC/DC & Aerosmith (there's no difference in there that I can tell)
GnR flat out blows goats. It's like fingernails on the blackboard.
Nirvana made me want to 'ludes with freon
KISS and Van Halen were little more than post-new wave bubble gum
Lynyrd Skynyrd - an Allman Brothers wannabe band
Gram Parsons - was really sloppy during the years for which he's remembered (Chris Hillman told me that)

You are waaaaayyy off base on a lot of these.

You probably only remember U2 from the Joshua Tree album where they had gotten artistically complacent. I saw a bunch of their club shows in the early 80’s and they were original, fierce and soulful.

Likewise the Clash were leaders of a wave of bands that mixed great songs, multiple musical philosophies and a punk attitude. They were the musical vanguard of their time.

Graham Parsons and Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) are possibly the best songwriters of Americana in history.

If you can’t tell the difference between Metallica, AC/DC and Aerosmith then that’s part of the problem.

You seem to be a fan of the Beatles (and I love them) but with this post you will get lumped in with the people who say “the Beatles SUCK”. Not a good look.

You probably only remember U2 from the Joshua Tree album where they had gotten artistically complacent. I saw a bunch of their club shows in the early 80’s and they were original, fierce and soulful.

Likewise the Clash were leaders of a wave of bands that mixed great songs, multiple musical philosophies and a punk attitude. They were the musical vanguard of their time.

Graham Parsons and Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) are possibly the best songwriters of Americana in history.

If you can’t tell the difference between Metallica, AC/DC and Aerosmith then that’s part of the problem.

You seem to be a fan of the Beatles (and I love them) but with this post you will get lumped in with the people who say “the Beatles SUCK”. Not a good look.

"Waaaaayyy off base?" I don't think so. This is all about personal taste and opinions. If you'll notice, I didn't disparage anyone else's opinions, I simply stated mine.

I didn't misspell Gram Parsons' name. Are we talking about the same person?

And I've never even heard of Jeff Tweedy, so I don't consider him as an even remote "possibly the best songwriters of Americana in history." That title belong to someone in the ranks of Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, George Gershwin, Paul Simon, Willie Nelson, Tom Waits, Nat King Cole, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Mother Maybelle Carter, Carole King, Burt Bacharach, Chuck Berry, Cole Porter, Will Shade, Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Tom Paxton, Irving Berlin, Robert Johnson ... but again, just IMHO.

And I've never even heard of Jeff Tweedy, so I don't consider him as an even remote "possibly the best songwriters of Americana in history." That title belong to someone in the ranks of Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, George Gershwin, Paul Simon, Willie Nelson, Tom Waits, Nat King Cole, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Mother Maybelle Carter, Carole King, Burt Bacharach, Chuck Berry, Cole Porter, Will Shade, Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Tom Paxton, Irving Berlin, Robert Johnson ... but again, just IMHO.

Jeff Tweedy is the leader of Wilco. Formerly of Uncle Tupelo. And is possibly the best songwriters of Americana in history. Give him a listen. Here's an older Uncle Tupelo song that's always been one of my favs. Raw & powerful. Soulful even.

"Waaaaayyy off base?" I don't think so. This is all about personal taste and opinions. If you'll notice, I didn't disparage anyone else's opinions, I simply stated mine.

I didn't misspell Gram Parsons' name. Are we talking about the same person?

And Harry Warren :)

:rolling:

If you haven't, please listen to this. It's so good, it hurts. Seriously.

I've always liked this series. Ozzy's clapping and the "Aaaaaahhh" in the middle are awesome.

This is twice now you've lost the plot of this thread. You've yet to post a band you don't like that are well respected but you've come at people twice for abiding by the thread title. Watch how this works:

Cowtown is right. Early U2 was pretty good but now they suck. Bono is a pretentious dickbag who thinks his band exists as a backdrop for his politics and inflated ego. The Edge barely even plays a guitar anymore, he just picks a few notes and then manipulates it digitally into something that might resemble a melody. It's lazy as hell. Jimmy Page and Jack White made him look like a rank beginner in that documentary they did together. The Edge didn't even know how to play Kashmir, for crying out loud. Nobody cares about the other two guys in the band.

Wilco sucks and Uncle Tupelo probably touches kids in the toolshed.

Last edited:
Speaking of jake e Lee, bark at the moon released on this day in 1983, giving us our first taste of him, and our first taste of Ozzy without Randy.

Speaking of jake e Lee, bark at the moon released on this day in 1983, giving us our first taste of him, and our first taste of Ozzy without Randy.

Jake's solos on the title track are perfection.

This is twice now you've lost the plot of this thread. You've yet to post a band you don't like that are well respected but you've come at people twice for abiding by the thread title. Watch how this works:

Cowtown is right. Early U2 was pretty good but now they suck. Bono is a pretentious dickbag who thinks his band exists as a backdrop for his politics and inflated ego. The Edge barely even plays a guitar anymore, he just picks a few notes and then manipulates it digitally into something that might resemble a melody. It's lazy as hell. Jimmy Page and Jack Black made him look like a rank beginner in that documentary they did together. The Edge didn't even know how to play Kashmir, for crying out loud. Nobody cares about the other two guys in the band.

Wilco sucks and Uncle Tupelo probably touches kids in the toolshed.

Sorry - I didn’t understand the rules. Let me try again.

Billy Joel - I’ve heard better piano at an elementary school recital - he SUCKS
Ozzy - married Sharon. Bad move. He SUCKS.
Genesis - they’re English they SUCK.
Stevie Ray Vaughn - always jealous of his older brother. He SUCKS.

Is that better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom