Well respected musicians that you think "suck" | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Well respected musicians that you think "suck"

Sorry - I didn’t understand the rules. Let me try again.

Billy Joel - I’ve heard better piano at an elementary school recital - he SUCKS
Ozzy - married Sharon. Bad move. He SUCKS.
Genesis - they’re English they SUCK.
Stevie Ray Vaughn - always jealous of his older brother. He SUCKS.

Is that better?

Nope.

Sorry - I didn’t understand the rules. Let me try again.

Billy Joel - I’ve heard better piano at an elementary school recital - he SUCKS
Ozzy - married Sharon. Bad move. He SUCKS.
Genesis - they’re English they SUCK.
Stevie Ray Vaughn - always jealous of his older brother. He SUCKS.

Is that better?
SRV sucks?

"Waaaaayyy off base?" I don't think so. This is all about personal taste and opinions. If you'll notice, I didn't disparage anyone else's opinions, I simply stated mine.

I didn't misspell Gram Parsons' name. Are we talking about the same person?

And I've never even heard of Jeff Tweedy, so I don't consider him as an even remote "possibly the best songwriters of Americana in history." That title belong to someone in the ranks of Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, George Gershwin, Paul Simon, Willie Nelson, Tom Waits, Nat King Cole, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Mother Maybelle Carter, Carole King, Burt Bacharach, Chuck Berry, Cole Porter, Will Shade, Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Tom Paxton, Irving Berlin, Robert Johnson ... but again, just IMHO.
No wrong opinions, here. No rules either. The hopefully with an interesting reason part, was just an attempt to keep from ruffling feathers- and hopefully avoid, a plain old "they suck" response.

You seem to prefer music from an earlier period. Nothing wrong with that. I love me some original blues artists. I can't listen to Louis Prima, without cracking a smile, and I'm always amazed by, I don't have all my fingers, Django Reinhardt.

I like your Eric Clapton response. You met me on my beef, that much of what he's known for was not him, and you countered.

I'll try to do the same, on some that have been posted.

So Metallica post “Justice” leaves a bit to be desired, but just because they switched up doesn’t mean they suck, after all they made unreal albums 1-4.

That said, Lars Ulrich Of Metallica sucks live. I get it in the studio he gets as many tries as he needs, but live he’s like your asshat buddy that grabs your sticks and just starts flailing around your kit, cracking cymbals and denting heads. And he’s a douche.

For me, I like to judge bands, by a few simple rules.

Were they doing their own thing, or another copycat?

Did they significantly change anything?

And obviously, if I liked them.

U2.
Cons: Bono definitely earned his pretentious dbag status in later years. Early fans point to the joshua tree, as to when they became over produced, and meh. The same album that, for casual fans, thrust them into the limelight.
Pros:. No one sounded like U2. The earlier, less produced version, were a breath of fresh air. One of the only bands I can think of, that remained relevant (depending on taste) through the 80's, 90's, and 00's. Very few bands can boasts that. H@ll. McCartney was a world changer, but only managed 2 decades of dominance.(not saying U2 was better- just had staying power)

So Metallica post “Justice” leaves a bit to be desired, but just because they switched up doesn’t mean they suck, after all they made unreal albums 1-4.

That said, Lars Ulrich Of Metallica sucks live. I get it in the studio he gets as many tries as he needs, but live he’s like your asshat buddy that grabs your sticks and just starts flailing around your kit, cracking cymbals and denting heads. And he’s a douche.

Lars is sloppy as hell live. The one thing that has always irritated me about Metallica is Kirk Hammett's guitar tone. Especially during his solos.

Jack White
Chris Robinson
Eddie Vedder
Eddie Van Halen
Phil Collins
Sting
Sting!!!!
The police, and the first 2 albums were AWESOME. The other members of the band said that Sting was essentially, a lounge lizard act, and their job was to make it interesting. That became painfully obvious, later in his career.

Ohh. And what's up with referring to yourself by a 1 word moniker? (Guess I gotta throw the Edge in there). That's dbaggery 101. I'm surprised he doesn't refer to himself in third person. "Sting didn't need the Police anymore. Sting needed to be his own person. That's how Sting Rolls.". No, Gordon Matthew Sumner, you needed the police. Uggh.

Van Halen. 1978-1984(Re-address)

Cons.
May be single handed responsible for the hair band era. This is huge, and many find that music period, unforgivable..(I don't put that on Ozzy, or acdc)
Pros.
Large part in saving the world from disco. By themselves, innovative, different, and EVH changed the way people viewed the guitar.(for about 10 years). You can argue it's not their fault. They were a game changer. Unfortunately, the game that followed, is generally viewed, as a very very bad game.

Nirvana

Cons.
Universally hated by metal guys. Cobain mopey, withdrawn, etc.

Pros.
Universally hated by metal guys.
Saved the world from hair bands/metal
Brought reckless abandon back, instead of fancy riff, fingers, and cheese.
Saved the world from hair bands. Yes. I said it again, cuz I'm eternally grateful.

Sting!!!!
The police, and the first 2 albums were AWESOME. The other members of the band said that Sting was essentially, a lounge lizard act, and their job was to make it interesting. That became painfully obvious, later in his career.

That's an interesting thought. When The Police first arrived on the scene, there was a certain vitality there. I acknowledge some of it was their novelty, but it caught your ear. Sting's voice can become onerous if you hear it too much. I quite liked the Blue Turtle album at first, but it became tedious because of his nasal drone.

Dave Matthews sucks

Bruce Springsteen’s great

End of post.

Nirvana

Cons.
Universally hated by metal guys. Cobain mopey, withdrawn, etc.

Pros.
Universally hated by metal guys.
Saved the world from hair bands/metal
Brought reckless abandon back, instead of fancy riff, fingers, and cheese.
Saved the world from hair bands. Yes. I said it again, cuz I'm eternally grateful.

So, your position is that Nirvana saved us from the big hair bands much the same way the punks saved us from disco? Another interesting thought. I liked what the punks did, if not all their music - they got us away from the annoyingly soulless super-slick synthesizers and got us back to listening to real music played on real guitars. Music with some chunk and crunch, with some real edge, like you get in live performances. :)

So, your position is that Nirvana saved us from the big hair bands much the same way the punks saved us from disco? Another interesting thought. I liked what the punks did, if not all their music - they got us away from the annoyingly soulless super-slick synthesizers and got us back to listening to real music played on real guitars. Music with some chunk and crunch, with some real edge, like you get in live performances. :)
Yes.
Love me some punk, but that remained a bit more underground, so I attribute death to disco more to Van Halen, acdc, Ozzy, due to main stream success.
Nirvana's main stream success was a huge nail, in the hairband coffin. They check off my box, did they significantly change anything. Love em or hate them, many believe this to be true.

Lots of bands / acts seem to get crapped on for being around too long.

I never got the Dead or Buffett. Bands like Phish are a little too cultish for me to qualify for this category.

U2 has been around forever, hard to be an earnest rocker worth a half a billion dollars in your late 50s.

Interesting. My boss is a drummer for a few different bands, and he hates Steely Dan. Apparently there is a recording out there of the two principals ripping on other musicians they brought in to play with them.

I never got it with them, either. Too many "color" tones. Other than Reeling in the Years and Do It Again, it seemed they were always trying everything, looking for a real direction. I found this interesting, though, from Wiki:

"Becker and Fagen joined the touring band of Jay and the Americans for about a year and a half. They were at first paid $100 per show, but partway through their tenure the band's tour manager cut their salaries in half. The group's lead singer, Jay Black, dubbed Becker and Fagen "the Manson and Starkweather of rock 'n' roll," referring to cult leader Charles Manson and spree killer Charles Starkweather.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Starkweather
:D

I never got it with them, either. Too many "color" tones. Other than Reeling in the Years and Do It Again, it seemed they were always trying everything, looking for a real direction. I found this interesting, though, from Wiki:

"Becker and Fagen joined the touring band of Jay and the Americans for about a year and a half. They were at first paid $100 per show, but partway through their tenure the band's tour manager cut their salaries in half. The group's lead singer, Jay Black, dubbed Becker and Fagen "the Manson and Starkweather of rock 'n' roll," referring to cult leader Charles Manson and spree killer Charles Starkweather.
:D

Apparently they would bring in many different musicians to play drums, bass, background vocals, etc. and just use the parts they liked. And disparage the rest.

After Clapton, the band I like the least nowadays who is widely popular still, are the Rolling Stones. I can't stand them for some reason. Maybe one or two songs, but I really don't get it.

We’re fighting

I hope I never get in a fight over a band as truly inconsequential as H&O. Listening to them was like drinking warm beer: yeah, there's something there, but there's more that's missing. But, I never forgot Sly Stone's "different strokes for different folks" so carry on. :)

After Clapton, the band I like the least nowadays who is widely popular still, are the Rolling Stones. I can't stand them for some reason. Maybe one or two songs, but I really don't get it.

Two things about the Stones. They were the first punks (along with the Kinks), who played with some edge, compared to the Beach Boys, Beatles and saccharine acts like Bobby Goldsboro. Second, I found them primarily a stage band. After the demise of Brian Jones who, although brilliant he led them all over the map, they finally took ownership of their own direction with Sticky Fingers. That said, I always stop and listen to Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy.

I hope I never get in a fight over a band as truly inconsequential as H&O. Listening to them was like drinking warm beer: yeah, there's something there, but there's more that's missing. But, I never forgot Sly Stone's "different strokes for different folks" so carry on. :)

A career spanning six decades, 18 studio albums, 29 top 40 singles including 6 number 1 hits is hardly inconsequential. The vanguard of Philly soul and r&b.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom