Well so much for the ACC being weak .. | Syracusefan.com

Well so much for the ACC being weak ..

Tourney is such a crapshoot lately. Makes for better TV for sure. I think the transfers and extra covid year makes for more parity. Matchups matter a ton.

We could have beaten all three (and should have two) ACC teams in elite eight.
We’re 0-6 against the three of them. We blew three of those games. Two against Miami and at North Carolina.

A fortunate combination of playing well, good matchups and the beneficiary of some upsets.

What has surprised me the most is that neither UNC or Duke defended well during much of the season. They’ve both stepped it up.

The key for NC is Caleb Love. He gets twitchy if he isn’t scoring. When he scores he’s more locked in on defense. When he’s not scoring he’s a turn style on defense. We kept going to either Buddy or Cole depending who Love was guarding. He couldn’t guard either of them. They kept switching Leaky Black on the two of them. Obviously, Love was on Cole most of the time.

Last edited:
It's frustrating...
JB said before the tournament that the ACC was good/better than a lot of people think.
And darned if he is right. He KNOWS the game. Great basketball mind.

So how come the team sux? how come at best, we're a bubble and the recruiting is...blah ?

What’s sad was that Wake Forest didn’t get in with their record in the ACC because every analyst said that the ACC was weak.

The reason everyone said the ACC was so weak was because we got crushed in the ACC/Big 10 challenge.

I had been saying all year I thought the ACC was a lot stronger than people thought and felt that a lot of the losses were because it was so strong that the ACC kept beating one another.

Anyway, glad the ACC is getting respect and the deeper these teams run the more money that will go into Syracuse’s pockets from the ACC

A fortunate combination of playing well, good matchups and the beneficiary of some upsets.

What has surprised me the most is that neither UNC or Duke defended well during much of the season. They’ve both stepped it up.
The 3 ACC teams have beaten Michigan State, Texas Tech, Marquette, Baylor, UCLA, USC and Auburn. The only real “upset” that benefited any of those teams so far was Miami playing Iowa State; but they had to beat Auburn to get there

Wake Forest was completely dominated by Texas A&M in the NIT. I thought they were overrated all year. SU had one of its easiest ACC wins at home against them. We gave them the game at Wake.

Reactions: CIL
The mental gymnastics our fans are using to pull for the two blue bloods in this conference because of conference superiority is something else. Who the fluck here ever pulled for UConn or Georgetown in March FFS.

The mental gymnastics our fans are using to pull for the two blue bloods in this conference because of conference superiority is something else. Who the fluck here ever pulled for UConn or Georgetown in March FFS.

Duke has the most pure talent, by far, of any team in America. Its like rooting for the house in blackjack.

Remember that one hot minute we were in on Flip? Now he’s going to Duke who has another killer class.

All this is doing is making it harder for us to ascend back to the top of the conference.

Duke has the most pure talent, by far, of any team in America. Its like rooting for the house in blackjack.

Remember that one hot minute we were in on Flip? Now he’s going to Duke who has another killer class.

All this is doing is making it harder for us to ascend back to the top of the conference.
They have been and are now paying players.

IMO conference track record should come into play with at larges. The fact that the ACC stunk OOC should punish them on the seed line. But the ACC should b given the benefit of the doubt IMO. The ACC is a P5 conference we know the talent and coaching is there. The B12, B1G, and P12 have a hard time going deep into the Tourney. That should come into play.

Then we have the mid majors where I just didn't get what the committee was thinking. San Fran had no business making the Tourney. So why did the WCC get 3 teams? The MWC is not good yet gets 4 teams? It is not like they deserved it. And their NCAAT track record is AWFUL. Meanwhile IMO the A10 was better and gets 2 teams? The MVC has done well historically (although a lot of those teams have moved on), yet only gets 1 team when you could easily justify a 2nd over the MWC teams? The AAC is also better than the MWC and only got 2 teams? How is that possible? That being said Memphis had a weak resume.

Then we have Murray State. They were all of 2-1 vs NCAAT teams, and 0-0 vs NIT teams. So those wins vs Chattanooga and at Memphis, plus a bad loss to non NCAAT 15-17 East Tennessee State equals a 7 seed? Not only that they get undeserving USF as their game? They literally played one good team the entire season, including the NCAAT. A 10 seed would have been a stretch for them. A 7 seed was a joke.

i believe the big ten challenge was 6-8 this year. and i am sure we were a .500 team WITH jesse edwards.

edit ( wins by SU 2ot, wake, ncst, hokies ,miami and the tar heels)

ACC was considered weak becuz we had little show in the top 25 all season.

Last edited:
What’s sad was that Wake Forest didn’t get in with their record in the ACC because every analyst said that the ACC was weak.

The reason everyone said the ACC was so weak was because we got crushed in the ACC/Big 10 challenge.

I had been saying all year I thought the ACC was a lot stronger than people thought and felt that a lot of the losses were because it was so strong that the ACC kept beating one another.

Anyway, glad the ACC is getting respect and the deeper these teams run the more money that will go into Syracuse’s pockets from the ACC
The ACC was 6-8 in the ACC challenge it was not blown out.

Tbe ACC also sucked in the nonconference portion of the season.

Conference was lucky to get 5 teams.
North Carolina was preseason ranked top 25. They lost games to Purdue and Tennessee. The team has played well the last few weeks but the team underachieved during November and December.

Wake Forest played nobody in the nonconference they didn’t make
The tournament because of that. Not the conference fault.
Virginia wasn’t good enough either.

The conference has had one team really surprise and Miami has played well.

North Carolina and Duke were talented teams and just won games.

the classic candy and nuts argument .

0ecf6ebc6227ed15e2b50c5ab8acbd6f--game-boards-board-games.jpg

wake up. face facts. we sucked.

against indiana (112/110 2 ots ) fouls were 24/24 . ft's were 34/31. our last 5 ponts were fts. screw job ?

Last edited:
The ACC was 6-8 in the ACC challenge it was not blown out.

Tbe ACC also sucked in the nonconference portion of the season.

Conference was lucky to get 5 teams.
North Carolina was preseason ranked top 25. They lost games to Purdue and Tennessee. The team has played well the last few weeks but the team underachieved during November and December.

Wake Forest played nobody in the nonconference they didn’t make
The tournament because of that. Not the conference fault.
Virginia wasn’t good enough either.

The conference has had one team really surprise and Miami has played well.

North Carolina and Duke were talented teams and just won games.

UNC finished the regular season 11-2 and is 15-3 in its last 18. They just put it together a little later like you noted.

They aren’t a huge surprise to me based on how they’ve been playing in the back half of the schedule.

Maybe. Probably. But there’s a saying about glass houses. We weren’t UNLV East for a while for nothing and we have two probations on our ledger.
Nothing of any substance came out of those 2 witch hunts.

For me, personally, we were good back then.

Now, we seem to be a perennial bubble team that makes a run in the tourney if we get in.

Conference perception means a lot when you’re Syracuse now vs Syracuse then.

See, Wake Forest. Regardless of what they did in the NIT - because, who cares - they should have been in the Tournament. They weren’t due to conference perception this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom