We're 4-2 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We're 4-2

One thing I've always been concerned about is our strength and conditioning, though considering I've consistently been wondering about that aspect, I have to start wondering if it's more the athletes that we get than the strength and conditioning program...

We just seem to get pushed around an awful lot.

I would like the secondary to learn how to cover the opposing RB on a delayed wheel route before the WVU game.

I'd like a pony. Who can punt really well. Because wouldn't that just be crazy, and boost our attendance, you guys?

I'd like a pony. Who can punt really well. Because wouldn't that just be crazy, and boost our attendance, you guys?
Scooch was talking about recruiting a donkey that could do kickoffs or something like that a while ago.

No and Yes. I knew Toledo would be one of the better teams in the MAC. But that's no reason why SU shouldn't have won the game easily. Good AQ teams don't lose to MAC teams no matter how good the MAC team is.
Ohio State couldnt beat them (Toledo) easily in fact were about 15 yards from a loss

After today's performance-which I watched on crappy internet-I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks get to 6 wins. Today was awful! For me the o-line is to blame, Nassib had no time the throw and the receivers had not chance to separate. I thought we'd be better.

With all due respect Nassib missed ALOT of wide open throws some with time some rushed but they are plays he needs to step up and make, that excuse is getting old

Common how much time bid he have in the pocket?
I don;t totally disagree but you could see how he didn't have time and sometime threw it away/or couldn't be accurate.
I still say it's the O-line problem,

No argument there. And it isn't difficult to make the argument that he hasn't significantly upgraded the OL, QB, or RB positions in three years.

WR seems to be trending positively; I like the potential of youngsters like Kobena / Hale / Foster, and I'm pleased that West / Lemon / Graham all seem improved and will all return next year. Not saying that the WR corps is where it needs to be yet 100%, just that it seems to be headed there.

TE has some potential, with Stevens / Wales / Adazzio returning next season, and Paris coming in.

But I'm tremendously concerned about the future of the QB position. I really hope that Hunt pans out [or Kinder or Broyld] as a dual threat QB capable of taking over for Nassib in a couple of seasons.

I'm nervous about RB after this season with Bailey graduating.

And I'm discouraged that three years into his tenure, Marrone still can't field a competent OL unit.

I'm excited about recruiting and the players we're bringing in, but we still have some glaring holes and units that don't inspire confidence.
I continue to be baffled that anyone's concern about QB play is limited to 2013.

I wonder if any of these guys can recruit. Hip Hop Hackett, Wheatley, Moore.

Regarding the RB position going forward, if (and this is a big IF at this point), PTG can stay healthy and AAM can stay in decent shape, I'm not overly worried. I think people really underestimate PTG.
if people think bailey isn't an every down back, then they'll really think PTG isn't

Nope. But like others have said in the past, I am beginning to worry about his recruiting on the offensive side of the ball. And I'm having my doubts about Adkins as OL coach.
Obviously Marrone has his doubts about Adkins too. If he had complete trust in him as a coach he would not spend so much time with the O Line. I was struck by the segment on ESPNU's All-Access episode this week where HCDM was speaking with the O line. While this is Marrone's area of expertise, Adkins body language looked like he couldnt wait for Marrone to get the heck out of there and let him coach. Just my impression.

I'm okay with the record (though if we could hit kick an extra point, we'd be 5-1). I'm not okay with the sloppiness and unimaginative playcalling. We have been sloppy in every game this year. We should be a pass-first offense and use the pass to open the run. Too many 1st down runs and 2nd -down 2-yard passes.
I think Nataniel Hackett is a work in progress. At this point in his offensive co-ordinator life he is learning the ropes. He runs an awfully lot of low percentage stuff in crucial situations. I know this is going to sound harsh but, right now, I think the job is too big for him. Many have suggested hiring a new OC, I've heard Ralph's name come up numerous times. Our offense doesn't look as crisp as many of the so-called weaker opponents we have faced. I think Ryan could be put in better situations with better play calling. But then again what do I know, I put up the daily articles.:noidea:

Weren't a lot of people expecting a step back to maybe 4-8 or 5-7 because of all the turnover on defense?
and 55 of the 85 are freshmen and sophomores.

So if we dont beat Louisville & Uconn, who did we beat to get to 5?

I would scratch WV. Probably USF or Cincy because they are at home. Pitt looks more winneable with their lackluster performance at Rutgirls, but I can't see us winning that game on the road.

One thing for sure is that rutgers has the worst offense in the big east. Even worse than ours.

I completely disagree with this. Rutgers reminds me of SU during GRob's 4-8 year. Above-averaged skill guys hamstrung by a terrible o-line. Although their o-line has a lot more potential then the group RObinson was putting out there.

This is going to be an unpopular perspective, but I also think that last season was fool's gold to a certain extent--not that we didn't deserve every win or didn't belong in a bowl, but I think it made a lot of people think we were a bit further along in the rebuild process than what we actually are.

I agree but it wasn't every last "season" really. Remember, after that run of games in November folks on these Boards were extremely down on the team. The Pinstripe Bowl victory is what lead most to believe that the train was on the right track, due to the offensive output (which seemed cohesive and intentional and not a fluke) and the fact SU beat a quality BCS opponent.

Its odd that KSU has been killing it this year and SU looks like rubbish (i honestly feel the best the offense played all year was against USC).

Realistic expectations? We should be drilling teams like RI and Tulane and beaten a bad rutgers team. You don't need to be top 20 or 30 to do that. Reality is that we have problems.
This^^^^

I don't think Rutgers is bad. But we should have drilled Rhode Island and beaten Tulane by 3 TDs. I'm really concerned about our lack of a pass rush and complete confusion, at times, in the secondary. That has to be corrected. This team is still a work in progress. Next year will be very telling. It will be Marrone's fourth year. Most of the players will be his. If there are still problems next year, it's on him.
They may not be bad,but that absolutely should have been a W.Other than that I agree with everything you said.If we dont see a MUCH better team next year,I think we have big time problems here.

I completely disagree with this. Rutgers reminds me of SU during GRob's 4-8 year. Above-averaged skill guys hamstrung by a terrible o-line. Although their o-line has a lot more potential then the group RObinson was putting out there.

Sanu. One guy. Both their QB's are horrible. We bang on Nassib some but he is head and shoulders above them and statistically superior. Their 2 leading RB's average 2.0 ypc. All our guys are twice that or better. Outside of Sanu, their next best receiver has caught less passes than 5 of our guys. Their offense stinks.

This is going to be an unpopular perspective, but I also think that last season was fool's gold to a certain extent--not that we didn't deserve every win or didn't belong in a bowl, but I think it made a lot of people think we were a bit further along in the rebuild process than what we actually are.

If this team gets back to a bowl this year, I'd consider that a major accomplishment--something that will enable the team to lay the foundation for the class of 2013 on the recruiting trail. 4-2 is a pretty good start; now we need to find a way to claw out 2-3 more victories in order to seal the deal.

Excellent post. All true. People can't comprehend how far this program had sunk and what it takes it get back to respectability. It's still in complete rebuild mode as far as I'm concerned.

I predicted 6-6 for the season. I'm quite happy with 4-2 at this juncture; and I don't care about style points.