West Virginia Game Quotes | Syracusefan.com

West Virginia Game Quotes

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Syracuse Orangeman Quotes

Jim Boeheim

On Brandon Triche

"I thought Brandon was great, made some huge plays for us. He really stepped up.”

On our 3 point shooting woes

“We’re getting good looks,’’ SU coach Jim Boeheim said. “I don’t think James can get better looks from the three than he got. Scoop’s were good. Brandon’s were good. Dion’s were wide open.

“We’ve got to make some of those because we’re going to get beat on the boards a little bit, but we’ve got to make some of those shots.’’

“We got good looks, almost everybody, But we haven’t shot well since the league began,’’ “The bottom line is we have to make them or it puts too much pressure on our defense.

On Dion

“He needs to make some shots,” Dion "has more confidence than this room has."

On Baye

“Baye was good,’’ “He was active. He was coming off a bad game. He did a good job out there.

On our lack of rebounding

"It's not the center position," Boeheim said. "Everybody's going to look at that. Fab was averaging six rebounds per game. It's the other positions. Our guards got two rebounds tonight. In our defense, guards have to get some rebounds." “not tracking down the long rebounds out by the foul line. Their guards beat us to all of those loose balls.’’

"We're just not doing a good job on the boards," We haven't really all year, but these last two games, Notre Dame in particularly and this game. … It's really about our guards and forwards doing a better job rebounding the ball. That's imperative for us."

“It’s one thing to get outrebounded, which we have a lot,’’ “But by that much it’s probably a miracle we won. That’s the first time that discrepancy made such a big significant difference.’’

On Fab

"Our defense is not as good without Fab.”

On Rakeem Christmas

"He looked lost in space today." He looked like a freshman.’’

On what he said to Rak

"I asked him if he was awake."

On the difference in the game

“I thought the difference in the game was our defense stopped them a couple times when we had to,’’ “We challenged the last one. We did do that.’’

"They are physical, and Jones is playing as well as anybody in the league,’’ “It was one of those games where one or two plays on either end makes the difference. Today, we had just enough.’’

"This was one of those games when you don't make shots it's going to come down to who's going to make a play at the end," "Brandon made a huge drive. Kris made a huge drive. ... We did just enough."

"One good thing is that we only turned the ball over six times and they turned it over 17," "We picked up (12) points there, which we had to have or the game would not have been close."

On the play of West Virginia

"You knew West Virginia was going to come back like this," "They've been a good road team the whole year. They whipped Kansas State and they should have beaten Baylor in the tournament. They won by 20 at Rutgers. They just had a bad game the other night. Everyone does that at one time or another in this league. They're tough."

On the ball coming out of Kris Joseph's hands

"He just has to hold the ball and the game's over," "I don't know what he was thinking about." "What are you doing? What are you doing?".

On free throws

"We made some free throws when you had to the other night. Tonight we needed to, we made some free throws.

Brandon Triche

Evaluating how he played

“I think I played pretty good. I always think I could play better, “I had a couple drives where I could have got to the basket. That floater, I probably should have shot a pull-up. I could have come off a couple screens a little bit better. Defensively, I think this was one of my worst games. I let a couple guys by me. I let a couple guys shoot. I wasn’t hustling as much.” "It felt pretty good," Triche said of his whole performance. "It didn't matter if I was taking shots I just wanted to get a shot for the team.

On his big three

“I was open at first and then they closed a little bit,” Triche said. “He stepped out and he’s about four feet off me. But once I get my feet set, I figure I’ve got a pretty good chance. I pretty much know the right time to pull the trigger.”

On the subsequent pull up three attempt

“I wanted that pull-up three,” he said. “I wanted it really bad.”

On his free throw prowess

“Honestly, every time I shoot my first free throw, it’s like 50-50. Even though I’m at like 90 percent,” “When I shoot my first free throw, if it goes in, I’m like, ‘All right, I’m going to make the rest.’ “I want the ball,” “I’m one of the best free throw shooters on the team. I have the experience to knock ‘em down.” “Those were my first, but I felt good on both releases.

On the teams weak outside shooting

"It's open shots,. We're lining them up and just not hitting them. They look like they're going in. They're hitting back rim. We're just going to keep shooting them."

On team rebounding

"When Fab's down there, he usually controls it a little bit more than the other guys," "… But a lot of the balls went around the foul line or under the foul line. Those are rebounds the guards can get."

“It’s pretty hard just to slide left, slide right and get to the shooter and get to the high post,” “But once the shot goes up, we gotta look around and try to figure out where the open space is at. Looking from the outside, we know where the ball is going. So instead of looking at the ball and then reacting, we should be able to react and then go get the ball.”

On his rebounding

“A lot of time, I could have gotten rebounds when I was just one step away. At Cincinnati, I think I was more active defensively,” he said. “If I was able to do that, I probably would have given me a higher grade.” (he gave himself a B)

Reaction to the rebound differential

"Man, that's crazy right there." Brandon Triche said after the game when informed of that stat. "Blame some of that on me. I feel like I could have got 5-6 rebounds. But I was just, pretty much, watching. A lot of guards were watching and trying to react and make the late hustle play. But we need to get there on the shot and make sure we locate the ball.

On Bryant's shot with 8 seconds left

"I contested the shot and it went kind of short,"

On Baye's block

"Baye made an incredible play — an incredible questionable play, but we definitely got a win based on that play,"

On Jones last shot

“When that shot went up, I thought it had a chance,’’ “It was nerve-wracking until I saw it miss. I still wasn’t sure ‘til I heard the buzzer.
“It was a good win,’’“These games where you don’t play as good and you don’t knock down shots, you’re supposed to lose those games. But we were able to pull it out.’’ "I think we handled it well," "We won, that's all that counts."

On His Plays In The Second Half

"Just doing whatever it takes to help the team out . I was just looking to put pressure on the defense and trying to make plays and they happened to go my way this time. "

On The Win

“It was a good win,’’ . “These games where you don’t play as good and you don’t knock down shots, you’re supposed to lose those games. But we were able to pull it out.’’ We showed heart, mental toughness."

James Southerland

On Triche & the big three

“One thing I notice about Brandon is when he gets into a rhythm, he’s feeling it,” said James Southerland, one of Triche’s closest friends on the team. “He starts to quietly take over. He’s not going to be the type to start yelling or anything like that. He’s really quiet. But you can tell when he’s really focused. And I think he was really focused today coming off the screens and making some jump shots. He’s good at that.”

On hustle

"If one person is hustling, the team is going to find itself hustling. They got a lot of hustle points on their own being aggressive. If you stay active, you are going to create plays."

On shooting woes

"Eventually, we are going to hit our shots. That is not going to be a problem. We just have to focus more, get into more of a flow. We are going to knock them down. They go down in practice. Sometimes you just miss shots. You just have to be ready to hit the next one."

Dion Waiters

About that slam over Deniz Kilicli

“When I was on the bench I saw that Scoop came off the pick and (I watched) how (Kilicli) played it. He backed up,” “And so in my mind, I told myself, ‘If he backs up, I’m going to try to split it.’ And when I got in the game, I did it. And it worked.”

About a shooters mentality

“You’ve got to keep shooting,’’ Syracuse guard Dion Waiters, who missed all three of his 3-pointers on Saturday. “You miss 10 straight, you’ve got to continue to keep shooting. That’s what we’re going to do.’’

About His Slump & confidence

"The only way I’ll lose confidence, is if I’m dead."

"What are you worried about?" "Even the best players have OK games. I didn’t have a bad game; the shots just didn’t fall. Sometimes, they don’t. Not everything goes your way. Time will come. I ain’t worried. We’re winning. Why’s anybody worried about me?"

"I’m always going to be confident, no matter what I do," "That’s just me. That’s always going to be me. I’m never going to lack confidence. That’s never an issue with me. I can go oh-for-20, and if I get the shot, I’m still going to take it. My confidence is always going to be there."

I mean I didn’t have an off game. I just wasn’t making some shots but I still had an impact on the game. It’s not always going to go your way. You have to stay prepared and continue to work hard. At the end of the day we only have one goal and that’s to win a championship. Triche came up big and Scoop came up big down the stretch so everybody chipped in a little bit.”

"Listen, man. I'm not superstitious or nothing like that. I'm going to bounce back strong. We won. It is not about me. At the end of the day, it is about the team. I'll get out of my slump. As long as we are winning, I'm happy."

On the teams shooting

"It's going to come," "That's the best thing about it. You're not going to always play a great game. You're not going to always do good. If two or three of them shots went down, it's a different story. But they didn't and we still won."

On his foul shooting

"I was mad, It went in and out. It was crazy. I was kind of frustrated because I don't miss foul shots. In a game like that, you want to make every shot. You want to try to be perfect."

On Rebounding

We do need to get more rebounds. It’s our job to go down there and battle and get rebounds. We are all big guards so we have to go help the big guys with Fab being out.”

On what he heard Darryl Bryant say coming out of the last huddle

“I’m going for the win.’’

What he said to Brandon as a result

“I said ‘Triche, man, don’t let him shoot that ball’.’’

On the final sequence of the game

“That was crazy,’’ “Adrenaline was pumping. You’re nervous, but you’re not.’’

About The Game Itself

“It was great. These are the type of games you want to play and come to college for. That’s what we look forward too. We needed a tough game like that to see where we were at mentally so it was great for us."

Scoop Jardine

On Fab Melo

"We’re totally different without Fab,". "Hopefully, we’ll have him back by next Saturday (for the St. John’s game in Madison Square Garden). Fab controls the paint. He controls the rebounding and blocking shots. And we become a way better defensive team."

On the 22 points from turnovers

“Thank God for that those or we don’t win,’’ “It was a game we just had to gut out and find a way to win.’’

On the teams play

"For the most part, everything didn't go right today and we're going to have games like that. But we got a win and we can learn from it," "We're what, 22-1? That's a lot of wins."

About our shooting

“No because they are the same shots that we are getting when people talk about how great our outside shooting is. We are getting the same looks. We just have to calm down and knock them down. You will go through stretches like this in the middle of the season, you aren’t worried about it.”

CJ Fair

On the non goal tending play

"From my angle, it looked like a good block but I heard it was kind of a goaltend," But I'll take it."

On the defensive advice from JB in the huddle on last play

“Be alert for the two, but don’t give them a three,’’ “We didn’t want to just give them a two, but no threes.’’

On his thoughts as Hinds drove the lane & fed it to Jones

“I was nervous,’’ “I had contested the one that he hit, too, so I was nervous. I tried to contest it as best as I could without fouling.’’

On that play

"If (Hinds) would have faked, then he would have got me," "But luckily I got the — I don't know how much my play affected the shot or not, but I was there."

Baye Keita

On the team rebounding

"I think we need to talk more. Everybody needs to crash the boards. Other teams send all five of them every night. We just need to be smarter with that."

On the last sequence

“My intent was to try to block the shot or foul him,’’ he didn’t worry about fouling Kilicli, who was 1-for-5 at the foul line. “We know one thing. He’s going to make one or miss one. I was just going for the 50-50. Luckily, I got a touch of the ball. I don’t know if that’s a goaltending or not, but that’s a good call for us.’’ "Every time I go block a shot I think positively," "If I get a piece of it, that's a block, if you call goaltending, that's goaltending.

"So I went for it and that's when he called a block so I can't say nothing about it."

Kris Joseph

On loose balls & rebounds

“Those loose balls, and rebounds, we have to get,” “We can’t allow teams to keep getting second and third chances to score, because eventually, they will.”

Of the play that put us up 59-56

“I just decided to stop settling for the outside shot and go hard to the hoop,’’ “The (offensive) rebound was just a matter of me wanting it more.’’

On the instruction in last timeout

"You just don't want them to get any 3s," "If anything, we were going to take overtime, so we didn't want them to finish the game out and that was basically the message that was given to us."

On the ball that went out of bounds

“I didn’t catch the ball,’’ “Then when I tried to get it, it hit off my leg. I tried to act like he pushed me, but it was too late.’’

On WV's D

"They do a great job of playing defense," "We found ways around that at the end. We did what we needed to."

On the last WV possessions

"We had to stay out on the shooters,” Joseph said. “If anything, we were going to take overtime.”

On the game

“That was like a bar fight,’’ “Whoever made the play at the right time was going to win. We’ve been doing that all season, but this was the first time we had to do it in a down-to-the-wire situation

West Virginia Quotes

Bob Huggins

On the play of Deniz Kilicli

"We came in with the idea that we wanted to throw it close and for the most part we did,'' "But Deniz didn't finish the way he normally finishes. "Deniz is 2-for-10 and they're all right around the goal," You guys watch him. He's usually a better finisher than that around the goal.''

On the turnovers

"Every turnover is costly. It hurts

On the non-goal-tending call

"You saw it. What did you think?'' “I just saw it,’’“I just went in and watched it. There’s not any doubt.’’

"Did I think it was (goaltending)? No. No, I know it was. I just saw the replay."

"It's inexcusable. It's inexcusable," "We should have at least had the chance to go to overtime,'' our kids played their hearts out,"

On what happened during last timeout

“It’s hard to get them back and re-focused after that happened, they're all thinking about other things’’ "It's hard. You've got 30 seconds.

On the last play

"We got enough [penetration] to get K.J. the ball, but obviously not enough to get him a good shot,'' I honestly don't know if we ran exactly what I wanted." We didn't execute as well enough at the end,""They're just so long." KJ's look (on the final shot) wasn't very good" "We made mistakes and we can't put (Same) the pressure on compared to what they can put on.

The losses affect on the team

"They're in there crying now," Huggins said. "I wish they would have cried Wednesday (after the loss to St. John's). Wednesday's game counted just as much as this game."

Final statement

"Starting Monday against Pittsburgh, We put ourselves in a hole and we've got to dig our way out, we've got to get this thing going in the right direction again," "Defending home turf is extremely important for us. It would be great to have a big sellout crowd."

Kevin Jones

On missed shots

"We had our chances. We missed a lot of close shots,'' "We could have extended our lead little a little bit if we'd made some shots.''

On the end of the game

“We executed well, but we didn’t get the shot,” he said. “We can’t handle that situation. The officials made that decision. But it happened. We learn. "Losses are different,'' "It depends on how you lose and who you lose to. But this one hurts.''

On the teams performance

"I'm very happy about our team's performance. I'm very happy about how we fought and how we all really came together against a really good, top-five team, but at the end of the day there are no moral victories.''

On the goal tending

"I saw it," "It was a good shot. I don't know what to say about it. It was a good shot. That's all I can say about it."

On that last shot

"It was kind of a broken play,'' "Jabarie got the ball and was going to the basket and I was actually going in to go and rebound because it looked like he was going to shoot. But at the last second he passed it to me, which I wasn't expecting. I just had to heave up a shot as quick as I could with the clock going down. But it wasn't the look we wanted.''

On the future

“We put ourselves in a bad predicament right now and we just have to dig ourselves out of it,” “It’s not impossible, but it’s going to take everybody’s effort and take everybody’s hard work and for us to come together as a team.”

“It was a step forward as far as our playing, but I wish we could have gotten the win. That would have been and even bigger step,” “Loses are different depending on how you lose and who you lose to. This game hurts, but like I said we have one day to prepare for a good Pittsburgh team. It’s a rivalry so they’re going to be ready to play.”

“There’s a little median you have to find between there and I’m very happy about our team’s performance and very happy about how we fought and how we all came together against a really good Top 5 team,” “But at the end of the day there are no moral victories.”

Gary Browne

On rebounding

“We go and get the ball,”“We know they are big inside, so everybody has to rebound the ball. Even me, as a point guard.”

On Triche & his big three

“I think the only way he can score the ball is (off) a ball screen,” “The first half, we didn’t do a great job on the ball screen. The second half, we did a great job on the ball screens and he stepped up and made big shots. I don’t know if he was making that shot all year. But he was making them tonight.”

On the difference between the St. John's game & this one

"It was a different game,". "We came out with our minds set and we listened to what the coaches said. We listened to what they said and we were a better team."

On how it feels

"We beat ourselves," "We've dug ourselves in a hole where we aren't supposed to be. We feel hurt right now. This loss hurt us a lot."

Truck Bryant

On the teams play

"It was a step forward, but then again it wasn't. We lost,'' "We didn't come ready to play on Wednesday. We came ready to play [Saturday].''

On the game plan

"I know we didn't win, but I like the way we controlled the tempo the whole time," "We controlled the game and didn't just shoot 3s. We got the ball inside and outside. We knew they were a good team in transition and we wanted to keep them from running up and down the floor.

"We did a good job with all that. It sucks we didn't come out with a win, but we did some good things to get better results from now on."

On the goal tending

"At the end of the day they didn't call goaltending, so it's out of our hands,'' It was goaltending,"

On the Big East

“The Big East can be rough, that’s what we learned,” “I knew it already, but that’s what the young guys learned and we just have to get ready for Monday’s game.”

SUA Player Quotes

SUA JB Quotes

WOW! Awesome work. Thanks for posting this. Greatly appreciated.

Just an awesome job OE!
Did JB say anything about the non goaltending call?

Huggins always has a boatload of excuses. Also, Browne had a little cheap jab at Triche there..

Syracuse Orangeman Quotes

Jim Boeheim

On Brandon Triche

"I thought Brandon was great, made some huge plays for us. He really stepped up.”

On our 3 point shooting woes

“We’re getting good looks,’’ SU coach Jim Boeheim said. “I don’t think James can get better looks from the three than he got. Scoop’s were good. Brandon’s were good. Dion’s were wide open.

“We’ve got to make some of those because we’re going to get beat on the boards a little bit, but we’ve got to make some of those shots.’’

“We got good looks, almost everybody, But we haven’t shot well since the league began,’’ “The bottom line is we have to make them or it puts too much pressure on our defense.

On Dion

“He needs to make some shots,” Dion "has more confidence than this room has."

On Baye

“Baye was good,’’ “He was active. He was coming off a bad game. He did a good job out there.

On our lack of rebounding

"It's not the center position," Boeheim said. "Everybody's going to look at that. Fab was averaging six rebounds per game. It's the other positions. Our guards got two rebounds tonight. In our defense, guards have to get some rebounds." “not tracking down the long rebounds out by the foul line. Their guards beat us to all of those loose balls.’’

"We're just not doing a good job on the boards," We haven't really all year, but these last two games, Notre Dame in particularly and this game. … It's really about our guards and forwards doing a better job rebounding the ball. That's imperative for us."

“It’s one thing to get outrebounded, which we have a lot,’’ “But by that much it’s probably a miracle we won. That’s the first time that discrepancy made such a big significant difference.’’

On Fab

"Our defense is not as good without Fab.”

On Rakeem Christmas

"He looked lost in space today." He looked like a freshman.’’

On what he said to Rak

"I asked him if he was awake."

On the difference in the game

“I thought the difference in the game was our defense stopped them a couple times when we had to,’’ “We challenged the last one. We did do that.’’

"They are physical, and Jones is playing as well as anybody in the league,’’ “It was one of those games where one or two plays on either end makes the difference. Today, we had just enough.’’

"This was one of those games when you don't make shots it's going to come down to who's going to make a play at the end," "Brandon made a huge drive. Kris made a huge drive. ... We did just enough."

"One good thing is that we only turned the ball over six times and they turned it over 17," "We picked up (12) points there, which we had to have or the game would not have been close."

On the play of West Virginia

"You knew West Virginia was going to come back like this," "They've been a good road team the whole year. They whipped Kansas State and they should have beaten Baylor in the tournament. They won by 20 at Rutgers. They just had a bad game the other night. Everyone does that at one time or another in this league. They're tough."

On the ball coming out of Kris Joseph's hands

"He just has to hold the ball and the game's over," "I don't know what he was thinking about." "What are you doing? What are you doing?".

On free throws

"We made some free throws when you had to the other night. Tonight we needed to, we made some free throws.

Brandon Triche

Evaluating how he played

“I think I played pretty good. I always think I could play better, “I had a couple drives where I could have got to the basket. That floater, I probably should have shot a pull-up. I could have come off a couple screens a little bit better. Defensively, I think this was one of my worst games. I let a couple guys by me. I let a couple guys shoot. I wasn’t hustling as much.” "It felt pretty good," Triche said of his whole performance. "It didn't matter if I was taking shots I just wanted to get a shot for the team.

On his big three

“I was open at first and then they closed a little bit,” Triche said. “He stepped out and he’s about four feet off me. But once I get my feet set, I figure I’ve got a pretty good chance. I pretty much know the right time to pull the trigger.”

On the subsequent pull up three attempt

“I wanted that pull-up three,” he said. “I wanted it really bad.”

On his free throw prowess

“Honestly, every time I shoot my first free throw, it’s like 50-50. Even though I’m at like 90 percent,” “When I shoot my first free throw, if it goes in, I’m like, ‘All right, I’m going to make the rest.’ “I want the ball,” “I’m one of the best free throw shooters on the team. I have the experience to knock ‘em down.” “Those were my first, but I felt good on both releases.

On the teams weak outside shooting

"It's open shots,. We're lining them up and just not hitting them. They look like they're going in. They're hitting back rim. We're just going to keep shooting them."

On team rebounding

"When Fab's down there, he usually controls it a little bit more than the other guys," "… But a lot of the balls went around the foul line or under the foul line. Those are rebounds the guards can get."

“It’s pretty hard just to slide left, slide right and get to the shooter and get to the high post,” “But once the shot goes up, we gotta look around and try to figure out where the open space is at. Looking from the outside, we know where the ball is going. So instead of looking at the ball and then reacting, we should be able to react and then go get the ball.”

On his rebounding

“A lot of time, I could have gotten rebounds when I was just one step away. At Cincinnati, I think I was more active defensively,” he said. “If I was able to do that, I probably would have given me a higher grade.” (he gave himself a B)

Reaction to the rebound differential

"Man, that's crazy right there." Brandon Triche said after the game when informed of that stat. "Blame some of that on me. I feel like I could have got 5-6 rebounds. But I was just, pretty much, watching. A lot of guards were watching and trying to react and make the late hustle play. But we need to get there on the shot and make sure we locate the ball.

On Bryant's shot with 8 seconds left

"I contested the shot and it went kind of short,"

On Baye's block

"Baye made an incredible play — an incredible questionable play, but we definitely got a win based on that play,"

On Jones last shot

“When that shot went up, I thought it had a chance,’’ “It was nerve-wracking until I saw it miss. I still wasn’t sure ‘til I heard the buzzer.
“It was a good win,’’“These games where you don’t play as good and you don’t knock down shots, you’re supposed to lose those games. But we were able to pull it out.’’ "I think we handled it well," "We won, that's all that counts."

On His Plays In The Second Half

"Just doing whatever it takes to help the team out . I was just looking to put pressure on the defense and trying to make plays and they happened to go my way this time. "

On The Win

“It was a good win,’’ . “These games where you don’t play as good and you don’t knock down shots, you’re supposed to lose those games. But we were able to pull it out.’’ We showed heart, mental toughness."

James Southerland

On Triche & the big three

“One thing I notice about Brandon is when he gets into a rhythm, he’s feeling it,” said James Southerland, one of Triche’s closest friends on the team. “He starts to quietly take over. He’s not going to be the type to start yelling or anything like that. He’s really quiet. But you can tell when he’s really focused. And I think he was really focused today coming off the screens and making some jump shots. He’s good at that.”

On hustle

"If one person is hustling, the team is going to find itself hustling. They got a lot of hustle points on their own being aggressive. If you stay active, you are going to create plays."

On shooting woes

"Eventually, we are going to hit our shots. That is not going to be a problem. We just have to focus more, get into more of a flow. We are going to knock them down. They go down in practice. Sometimes you just miss shots. You just have to be ready to hit the next one."

Dion Waiters

About that slam over Deniz Kilicli

“When I was on the bench I saw that Scoop came off the pick and (I watched) how (Kilicli) played it. He backed up,” “And so in my mind, I told myself, ‘If he backs up, I’m going to try to split it.’ And when I got in the game, I did it. And it worked.”

About a shooters mentality

“You’ve got to keep shooting,’’ Syracuse guard Dion Waiters, who missed all three of his 3-pointers on Saturday. “You miss 10 straight, you’ve got to continue to keep shooting. That’s what we’re going to do.’’

About His Slump & confidence

"The only way I’ll lose confidence, is if I’m dead."

"What are you worried about?" "Even the best players have OK games. I didn’t have a bad game; the shots just didn’t fall. Sometimes, they don’t. Not everything goes your way. Time will come. I ain’t worried. We’re winning. Why’s anybody worried about me?"

"I’m always going to be confident, no matter what I do," "That’s just me. That’s always going to be me. I’m never going to lack confidence. That’s never an issue with me. I can go oh-for-20, and if I get the shot, I’m still going to take it. My confidence is always going to be there."

I mean I didn’t have an off game. I just wasn’t making some shots but I still had an impact on the game. It’s not always going to go your way. You have to stay prepared and continue to work hard. At the end of the day we only have one goal and that’s to win a championship. Triche came up big and Scoop came up big down the stretch so everybody chipped in a little bit.”

"Listen, man. I'm not superstitious or nothing like that. I'm going to bounce back strong. We won. It is not about me. At the end of the day, it is about the team. I'll get out of my slump. As long as we are winning, I'm happy."

On the teams shooting

"It's going to come," "That's the best thing about it. You're not going to always play a great game. You're not going to always do good. If two or three of them shots went down, it's a different story. But they didn't and we still won."

On his foul shooting

"I was mad, It went in and out. It was crazy. I was kind of frustrated because I don't miss foul shots. In a game like that, you want to make every shot. You want to try to be perfect."

On Rebounding

We do need to get more rebounds. It’s our job to go down there and battle and get rebounds. We are all big guards so we have to go help the big guys with Fab being out.”

On what he heard Darryl Bryant say coming out of the last huddle

“I’m going for the win.’’

What he said to Brandon as a result

“I said ‘Triche, man, don’t let him shoot that ball’.’’

On the final sequence of the game

“That was crazy,’’ “Adrenaline was pumping. You’re nervous, but you’re not.’’

About The Game Itself

“It was great. These are the type of games you want to play and come to college for. That’s what we look forward too. We needed a tough game like that to see where we were at mentally so it was great for us."

Scoop Jardine

On Fab Melo

"We’re totally different without Fab,". "Hopefully, we’ll have him back by next Saturday (for the St. John’s game in Madison Square Garden). Fab controls the paint. He controls the rebounding and blocking shots. And we become a way better defensive team."

On the 22 points from turnovers

“Thank God for that those or we don’t win,’’ “It was a game we just had to gut out and find a way to win.’’

On the teams play

"For the most part, everything didn't go right today and we're going to have games like that. But we got a win and we can learn from it," "We're what, 22-1? That's a lot of wins."

About our shooting

“No because they are the same shots that we are getting when people talk about how great our outside shooting is. We are getting the same looks. We just have to calm down and knock them down. You will go through stretches like this in the middle of the season, you aren’t worried about it.”

CJ Fair

On the non goal tending play

"From my angle, it looked like a good block but I heard it was kind of a goaltend," But I'll take it."

On the defensive advice from JB in the huddle on last play

“Be alert for the two, but don’t give them a three,’’ “We didn’t want to just give them a two, but no threes.’’

On his thoughts as Hinds drove the lane & fed it to Jones

“I was nervous,’’ “I had contested the one that he hit, too, so I was nervous. I tried to contest it as best as I could without fouling.’’

On that play

"If (Hinds) would have faked, then he would have got me," "But luckily I got the — I don't know how much my play affected the shot or not, but I was there."

Baye Keita

On the team rebounding

"I think we need to talk more. Everybody needs to crash the boards. Other teams send all five of them every night. We just need to be smarter with that."

On the last sequence

“My intent was to try to block the shot or foul him,’’ he didn’t worry about fouling Kilicli, who was 1-for-5 at the foul line. “We know one thing. He’s going to make one or miss one. I was just going for the 50-50. Luckily, I got a touch of the ball. I don’t know if that’s a goaltending or not, but that’s a good call for us.’’ "Every time I go block a shot I think positively," "If I get a piece of it, that's a block, if you call goaltending, that's goaltending.

"So I went for it and that's when he called a block so I can't say nothing about it."

Kris Joseph

On loose balls & rebounds

“Those loose balls, and rebounds, we have to get,” “We can’t allow teams to keep getting second and third chances to score, because eventually, they will.”

Of the play that put us up 59-56

“I just decided to stop settling for the outside shot and go hard to the hoop,’’ “The (offensive) rebound was just a matter of me wanting it more.’’

On the instruction in last timeout

"You just don't want them to get any 3s," "If anything, we were going to take overtime, so we didn't want them to finish the game out and that was basically the message that was given to us."

On the ball that went out of bounds

“I didn’t catch the ball,’’ “Then when I tried to get it, it hit off my leg. I tried to act like he pushed me, but it was too late.’’

On WV's D

"They do a great job of playing defense," "We found ways around that at the end. We did what we needed to."

On the last WV possessions

"We had to stay out on the shooters,” Joseph said. “If anything, we were going to take overtime.”

On the game

“That was like a bar fight,’’ “Whoever made the play at the right time was going to win. We’ve been doing that all season, but this was the first time we had to do it in a down-to-the-wire situation

West Virginia Quotes

Bob Huggins

On the play of Deniz Kilicli

"We came in with the idea that we wanted to throw it close and for the most part we did,'' "But Deniz didn't finish the way he normally finishes. "Deniz is 2-for-10 and they're all right around the goal," You guys watch him. He's usually a better finisher than that around the goal.''

On the turnovers

"Every turnover is costly. It hurts

On the non-goal-tending call

"You saw it. What did you think?'' “I just saw it,’’“I just went in and watched it. There’s not any doubt.’’

"Did I think it was (goaltending)? No. No, I know it was. I just saw the replay."

"It's inexcusable. It's inexcusable," "We should have at least had the chance to go to overtime,'' our kids played their hearts out,"

On what happened during last timeout

“It’s hard to get them back and re-focused after that happened, they're all thinking about other things’’ "It's hard. You've got 30 seconds.

On the last play

"We got enough [penetration] to get K.J. the ball, but obviously not enough to get him a good shot,'' I honestly don't know if we ran exactly what I wanted." We didn't execute as well enough at the end,""They're just so long." KJ's look (on the final shot) wasn't very good" "We made mistakes and we can't put (Same) the pressure on compared to what they can put on.

The losses affect on the team

"They're in there crying now," Huggins said. "I wish they would have cried Wednesday (after the loss to St. John's). Wednesday's game counted just as much as this game."

Final statement

"Starting Monday against Pittsburgh, We put ourselves in a hole and we've got to dig our way out, we've got to get this thing going in the right direction again," "Defending home turf is extremely important for us. It would be great to have a big sellout crowd."

Kevin Jones

On missed shots

"We had our chances. We missed a lot of close shots,'' "We could have extended our lead little a little bit if we'd made some shots.''

On the end of the game

“We executed well, but we didn’t get the shot,” he said. “We can’t handle that situation. The officials made that decision. But it happened. We learn. "Losses are different,'' "It depends on how you lose and who you lose to. But this one hurts.''

On the teams performance

"I'm very happy about our team's performance. I'm very happy about how we fought and how we all really came together against a really good, top-five team, but at the end of the day there are no moral victories.''

On the goal tending

"I saw it," "It was a good shot. I don't know what to say about it. It was a good shot. That's all I can say about it."

On that last shot

"It was kind of a broken play,'' "Jabarie got the ball and was going to the basket and I was actually going in to go and rebound because it looked like he was going to shoot. But at the last second he passed it to me, which I wasn't expecting. I just had to heave up a shot as quick as I could with the clock going down. But it wasn't the look we wanted.''

On the future

“We put ourselves in a bad predicament right now and we just have to dig ourselves out of it,” “It’s not impossible, but it’s going to take everybody’s effort and take everybody’s hard work and for us to come together as a team.”

“It was a step forward as far as our playing, but I wish we could have gotten the win. That would have been and even bigger step,” “Loses are different depending on how you lose and who you lose to. This game hurts, but like I said we have one day to prepare for a good Pittsburgh team. It’s a rivalry so they’re going to be ready to play.”

“There’s a little median you have to find between there and I’m very happy about our team’s performance and very happy about how we fought and how we all came together against a really good Top 5 team,” “But at the end of the day there are no moral victories.”

Gary Browne

On rebounding

“We go and get the ball,”“We know they are big inside, so everybody has to rebound the ball. Even me, as a point guard.”

On Triche & his big three

“I think the only way he can score the ball is (off) a ball screen,” “The first half, we didn’t do a great job on the ball screen. The second half, we did a great job on the ball screens and he stepped up and made big shots. I don’t know if he was making that shot all year. But he was making them tonight.”

On the difference between the St. John's game & this one

"It was a different game,". "We came out with our minds set and we listened to what the coaches said. We listened to what they said and we were a better team."

On how it feels

"We beat ourselves," "We've dug ourselves in a hole where we aren't supposed to be. We feel hurt right now. This loss hurt us a lot."

Truck Bryant

On the teams play

"It was a step forward, but then again it wasn't. We lost,'' "We didn't come ready to play on Wednesday. We came ready to play [Saturday].''

On the game plan

"I know we didn't win, but I like the way we controlled the tempo the whole time," "We controlled the game and didn't just shoot 3s. We got the ball inside and outside. We knew they were a good team in transition and we wanted to keep them from running up and down the floor.

"We did a good job with all that. It sucks we didn't come out with a win, but we did some good things to get better results from now on."

On the goal tending

"At the end of the day they didn't call goaltending, so it's out of our hands,'' It was goaltending,"

On the Big East

“The Big East can be rough, that’s what we learned,” “I knew it already, but that’s what the young guys learned and we just have to get ready for Monday’s game.”

SUA Player Quotes

SUA JB Quotes
Loved the various quotes! Great insight knowing the players thoughts vs. what we fans were thinking at the time. Thanx!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom