What do we do with Dino? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What do we do with Dino?

The Dome renovation is one year old.

The present coaching staff is one to two years old.

We are still light years behind other programs.

The number of season ending injuries this team has sustained this year is unprecedented.

We are playing with an undersized, walk on nose tackle.

Tonight’s team is not the team that beat Purdue.

We will go bowling this year.

We will continue to improve.

“Get a new head coach” thinking is oversimplified analysis
So I am biased towards liking Babers because I know his offense works and because I was thrilled they hired him.

Every year, there is at least one offensive lineman that I take one look at and think "No good team has an offensive lineman who looks like that" Whether it's the legendary Elmore or whoever the guy is this year with old diabetic bloated ankles and knees that kinda cave inward. So since I like Babers, i say, well what could anyone do with these players - what system would be successful

Because of this, we constantly pine for unicorn dual threat qbs like we are still in an 80s era where most opposing coaches are dumb enough to not want fast qbs.

Every year, there is a fatal flaw at QB - whether it's a guy with a good arm who won't throw it or a guy with a terrible arm that will (until he turns into a guy who won't) - I roll my eyes and say, "not this year"

Eventually all the years add up and it's like what the hell are we doing here. You have to recruit a little

I think this system works as long as there aren't fatal flaws. But for whatever reason, Babers ALWAYS has them. I wasn't worried about his recruiting because you don't need to recruit great to succeed with the right offense, you just have to recruit good enough.

Eventually, Babers will get replaced (fired, simple retirement) and we're going to fixate on the weak line (offensive line) and get some northeastern dinosaur who can relate to all the NY gym coaches who can teach big angry kids to murder people but will do everything the hard way on offense. It's damn impossible to run the right offense here and find anyone to block

Last edited:
This thread is pure message board
Everyone was ready to go to war for Dino at 6-0
Now you lose 4 games which most of us penciled in as sure loses at the start of the season now you get to bring up the “I was RIGHT we should have fired Dino!!”
No one is giving FSU credit for a top top top tier defense
Our defense again played their hearts out but FSU won special teams and field position
Our offense fired some different things but man FSU has some crazy good speed and players ok that D
Shrader doesn’t look like 6-0 Sharder
We need to abandon the FB/TE Hybrid Hoeh is only good for multiple penalties and getting blown up over and over
Mang is not great at blocking
We have no WRs other then OG, needs to be priority number one for offense in the portal
Anae and Beck are on year one and it’s still a blend of old/new system
Depth is better but needs work
Defense wow we have some huge depth on the secondary
LB should still be solid
DL if we get health and can pick up one in the portal will be fine
Anyway my point is we are still building back up, Dino gets the rest of this year and I would guess he needs to hit around 8 wins next year
Also Norris is going to sign with us he wants to play for Beck doesn’t matter that the gamecocks offered
Man I love this board lol

It’s not that we lost 4 games…it’s that for 3 out of the 4 we looked like we weren’t even competitive

To not call that timeout to give your team a chance to get a td is a slap in the face to every player on that team.

It’s a huge disrespect to the seniors who gave it their all for the last few years for that coach.

He’s lost the team and there is NO doubt about that.

A change needs to happen

All last year I wanted to fire Dino, I said the minute the team
Couldn’t make a bowl game this year he should be fired immediately. Shocking thing happened and now we are Bowl eligible. I would be perfectly happy with him getting fired if we lose out, but won’t be spitting mad if he gets one more year because they did make a bowl. Next year the schedule is another bowl or bust season.

Well, its a bit crazy that the offense can absolutely implode with about 1 injury. The defense has guys that can step up and keep the unit looking like it belongs on a P5 field. We have no one on the OL that can step in and provide competent play and prevent the unit from absolutely collapsing? I didn’t even take any injuries for the WR unit to completely disappear.

I know Dino will be here next year, and given the new offensive staff I’m OK with it, acknowledging that he does not deserve it by the standards of his profession. It’s not good that you need 7-8 years for your HC to find the right combo of assistants to win. That brings up the “what exactly would you say you do here” question.

If Anae and Dino aren’t working, I wonder if you push Anae out and give beck a try? Frankly, I know nothing about Beck other than his wife is active on Twitter so everyone likes them. Do we need to look at our formerly revered OL coach? Is there an integration issue there? Maybe Anae/Beck just need another year to transition to what they want to do and churn the roster to suit their needs.

It sounds like Tony White is a rising star. If he’s going to get a HC gig, its not going to be a P5 job, but I think if we flounder again next year, you might give him a try. Not as a “continuity” hire, but as a legit promotion of a rising star.

The Dome renovation is one year old.

The present coaching staff is one to two years old.

We are still light years behind other programs.

The number of season ending injuries this team has sustained this year is unprecedented.

We are playing with an undersized, walk on nose tackle.

Tonight’s team is not the team that beat Purdue.

We will go bowling this year.

We will continue to improve.

“Get a new head coach” thinking is oversimplified analysis
Bad take. Look at his history. It's not even average. Why would you continue to let a below average performance be rewarded. Do you really think that he is going to finally become at his age what he isn't already. Dino is what he is which is a poor coach. He doesn't need more time. Now maybe Beck and or White do but they certainly can do it without Dino at the helm. Last point we are not improving. We are regressing. And Dino certainly isn't improving. His teams continue to have penalty issues, clock management issues. If anything, once he started to get involved in the O this year we started to implode. The guy needs to go.

This thread is pure message board
Everyone was ready to go to war for Dino at 6-0
Now you lose 4 games which most of us penciled in as sure loses at the start of the season now you get to bring up the “I was RIGHT we should have fired Dino!!”
No one is giving FSU credit for a top top top tier defense
Our defense again played their hearts out but FSU won special teams and field position
Our offense fired some different things but man FSU has some crazy good speed and players ok that D
Shrader doesn’t look like 6-0 Sharder
We need to abandon the FB/TE Hybrid Hoeh is only good for multiple penalties and getting blown up over and over
Mang is not great at blocking
We have no WRs other then OG, needs to be priority number one for offense in the portal
Anae and Beck are on year one and it’s still a blend of old/new system
Depth is better but needs work
Defense wow we have some huge depth on the secondary
LB should still be solid
DL if we get health and can pick up one in the portal will be fine
Anyway my point is we are still building back up, Dino gets the rest of this year and I would guess he needs to hit around 8 wins next year
Also Norris is going to sign with us he wants to play for Beck doesn’t matter that the gamecocks offered
Man I love this board lol
We need size ...anyone who thinks Mikel Jones will be a 215 lb backer in the NFL is crazy...those guys are 240 and up and just as fast...our defensive ends (Linton)weigh 217 lbs Thompson was a huge loss at LB, 240 lb runstopper ...Teams have figured out White's 3-3-5 ...just run!! Hoeh and Mang are in there because our O line cannot protect the QB so we really don't have a tight end option...Bergeron can't open a hole and gets beat by the opposing teams DE more than not ..NFL??? BTW we are ranked dead last in ACC recruiting ...I hope Dino is living in the the transfer portal...Lamson will be our starting QB if Schrader leaves ...watch the spring game film.. the kid is a teriffic passer...too bad he tore ACL

Well, its a bit crazy that the offense can absolutely implode with about 1 injury. The defense has guys that can step up and keep the unit looking like it belongs on a P5 field. We have no one on the OL that can step in and provide competent play and prevent the unit from absolutely collapsing? I didn’t even take any injuries for the WR unit to completely disappear.

I know Dino will be here next year, and given the new offensive staff I’m OK with it, acknowledging that he does not deserve it by the standards of his profession. It’s not good that you need 7-8 years for your HC to find the right combo of assistants to win. That brings up the “what exactly would you say you do here” question.

If Anae and Dino aren’t working, I wonder if you push Anae out and give beck a try? Frankly, I know nothing about Beck other than his wife is active on Twitter so everyone likes them. Do we need to look at our formerly revered OL coach? Is there an integration issue there? Maybe Anae/Beck just need another year to transition to what they want to do and churn the roster to suit their needs.

It sounds like Tony White is a rising star. If he’s going to get a HC gig, its not going to be a P5 job, but I think if we flounder again next year, you might give him a try. Not as a “continuity” hire, but as a legit promotion of a rising star.
Read this as Becks wife is attractive on Twitter for a second.

Bro, Dino literally had seven years to create this mess. When will we be competitive? 2050? The recruiting sucks, the coaching sucks, the scheme is ok-ish, the S&C program sucks. That was the least competitive game played by any P5 team this season. Possibly the least competitive SU has been since the GROB era. Without Kevon Darton and Mikel Jones we lose that one by 60.

Wisconsin just fired their coach with a 70% winning percentage. Give me a break with the excuses. You cannot go 6-0 and then implode like this at the first sign of adversity. I am not interested in the injury excuse; injuries happen on every team. It is the job of the staff to develop ALL of the players to be ready. If we get more injured than other teams then you need to ask what the S&C program, training staff, and nutrition staff (just kidding, we don't have one) is doing to set these kids up for success.

Who on the roster or in the current recruiting class excites you to say "wow! that could be an all american and boy we sure can't let Dino go!" This is not Louisville. We literally have nothing to lose and we continue to lose relevancy every year we let this continue. I went to bat for DIno and I feel sick that I sent the signal that it would be acceptable to return after last year (not that anyone cares about my opinion).
Your take on the injuries this team has sustained is simply wrong.

Bad take. Look at his history. It's not even average. Why would you continue to let a below average performance be rewarded. Do you really think that he is going to finally become at his age what he isn't already. Dino is what he is which is a poor coach. He doesn't need more time. Now maybe Beck and or White do but they certainly can do it without Dino at the helm. Last point we are not improving. We are regressing. And Dino certainly isn't improving. His teams continue to have penalty issues, clock management issues. If anything, once he started to get involved in the O this year we started to implode. The guy needs to go.
Bad take

This isn't about Dino anymore. This is about Su and their interest in competing in current football. Does the school want to play the games and cash the checks or be players in the game which will require writing checks. I think SU is happy being 5-7 to 7-5. Cash ACC checks, draw 30-35,000 a game and do enough to act like you care.
I think this is correct.
SU's football past is just that the past. There seems to be no one left at the University that truly cares about resurrecting the greatness that was once was.
Until the day that Syracuse University takes the football program seriously, we will remain what we are seeing and it’s a very bad look.

Turn off his headset. He's not getting renewed and next year will be his last. Unfortunately, all the goodwill and fan support of the first 6 games will be gone next year and we're back to square one. Really depressing.

Dino looked very comfortable on the set of the ACC Huddle so let’s send him packing so he could work there. Time to let Dino go is now for this is totally unacceptable in my eyes. When Cuse losses to Wake and if we lose at BC, there should be no bowl game on a six game losing streak.
If there are more than enough bowl eligible teams and the ACC exceeds its allotment, we might not get picked. There are instances of 6-6 teams not going. We did not go at 6-6 in 2003 although there were fewer bowls. Plus, ND can eat up an ACC bowl.slot in some cases.

In response to the original question, hope he retires.

Yeah, assuming his contract has one year left I think it's best for the school to not renew and Dino retires. Having a new staff in place with the Lally complex hopefully ready could be good to rejuvenate the fanbase

The scary thing is we're probably losing all our NFL players after this season. We've had some talent this season and haven't been able to capitalize. Everyone has injuries, but without some crazy late penalties from Purdue and Virginia, we're 4-6 now and that's not even factoring in playing against a D-2 QB in his 1st start against NC State. We've just looked totally overwhelmed physically for the last 3.5 games.

Crazy penalties even out over a season.

We need better WRs, that's pretty obvious.

It’s not that we lost 4 games…it’s that for 3 out of the 4 we looked like we weren’t even competitive

To not call that timeout to give your team a chance to get a td is a slap in the face to every player on that team.

It’s a huge disrespect to the seniors who gave it their all for the last few years for that coach.

He’s lost the team and there is NO doubt about that.

A change needs to happen
Yeah I figured either you or Jeremy would be the first to chime in that Dino needed to be gone
I get it and it's your opinion
I don't feel he's lost the full team, honestly think that phrase is way overused. Sure he might have lost some of the players which is also a terrible look but not the full team. I saw plenty of kids playing at full steam late into the game.
Canning Dino now is a bit crazy for a school like us, if we are a top-tier team sure.

Who comes in if we can Dino and why would they be better, honest question because I honestly am not sure who would be our savior.

So I am biased towards liking Babers because I know his offense works and because I was thrilled they hired him.

Every year, there is at least one offensive lineman that I take one look at and think "No good team has an offensive lineman who looks like that" Whether it's the legendary Elmore or whoever the guy is this year with old diabetic bloated ankles and knees that kinda cave inward. So since I like Babers, i say, well what could anyone do with these players - what system would be successful

Because of this, we constantly pine for unicorn dual threat qbs like we are still in an 80s era where most opposing coaches are dumb enough to not want fast qbs.

Every year, there is a fatal flaw at QB - whether it's a guy with a good arm who won't throw it or a guy with a terrible arm that will (until he turns into a guy who won't) - I roll my eyes and say, "not this year"

Eventually all the years add up and it's like what the hell are we doing here. You have to recruit a little

I think this system works as long as there aren't fatal flaws. But for whatever reason, Babers ALWAYS has them. I wasn't worried about his recruiting because you don't need to recruit great to succeed with the right offense, you just have to recruit good enough.

Eventually, Babers will get replaced (fired, simple retirement) and we're going to fixate on the weak line (offensive line) and get some northeastern dinosaur who can relate to all the NY gym coaches who can teach big angry kids to murder people but will do everything the hard way on offense. It's damn impossible to run the right offense here and find anyone to block

Yeah my biggest fear is if SU hires a coach that has an outdated offensive philosophy (run first, conservative 4th down decision making, simple route tree, etc.)

I think SU needs an offensive innovator to succeed at this level, a risk taker.

We need size ...anyone who thinks Mikel Jones will be a 215 lb backer in the NFL is crazy...those guys are 240 and up and just as fast...our defensive ends (Linton)weigh 217 lbs Thompson was a huge loss at LB, 240 lb runstopper ...Teams have figured out White's 3-3-5 ...just run!! Hoeh and Mang are in there because our O line cannot protect the QB so we really don't have a tight end option...Bergeron can't open a hole and gets beat by the opposing teams DE more than not ..NFL??? BTW we are ranked dead last in ACC recruiting ...I hope Dino is living in the the transfer portal...Lamson will be our starting QB if Schrader leaves ...watch the spring game film.. the kid is a teriffic passer...too bad he tore ACL
We've needed size since 2000 it's not magically changing with a new coach
NCAA Division 1—FBS

• Average college football player size for DL: 6’3” / 270 lbs
NCAA Division 1—FBS

• Average college football player size for LB: 6’1” / 223 lbs

This isn't about Dino anymore. This is about Su and their interest in competing in current football. Does the school want to play the games and cash the checks or be players in the game which will require writing checks. I think SU is happy being 5-7 to 7-5. Cash ACC checks, draw 30-35,000 a game and do enough to act like you care.

Every NFL quality player came back. So that answers part of your question. SU is raising 150 million to update everything, which answers another part of your question.

Yeah I figured either you or Jeremy would be the first to chime in that Dino needed to be gone
I get it and it's your opinion
I don't feel he's lost the full team, honestly think that phrase is way overused. Sure he might have lost some of the players which is also a terrible look but not the full team. I saw plenty of kids playing at full steam late into the game.
Canning Dino now is a bit crazy for a school like us, if we are a top-tier team sure.

Who comes in if we can Dino and why would they be better, honest question because I honestly am not sure who would be our savior.

We dont need a savior but we do need a competent HC with some minimal recruiting abilities.

In year 7, again YEAR 7, you have a P5 D1 team with zero TEs, a backup FB thats a walking penalty and a non D1 player, absolutely the worst collection of Wrs in all of P5 and if not for Orande all of D1, a 2nd straight year with a punter who can't get the ball beyond 30 yards and a team that has to be averaging like 15 penalties a game no hyperbole.

How in the world is moving on now in year 7 considered crazy?

Its his job to get players. He has more resources than any football coach in the history of Syracuse University. He has had 4 or 5 OCs during his tenor. He is a failure. He needs to go.

He needs it because our closest starters grew up a 6 hour drive from Cuse.

He doesn't have upstate and regional kids in abundance that the good ole days had. Bring in Lombardi and the problem remains the same.

Believe what you want, but this is simply not true. The AD's office, and Chancellor, are highly vested in making the program competitive. Follow the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom