What do we need for a 1 seed? | Syracusefan.com

What do we need for a 1 seed?

MikeSU02

Living Legend
Here are my assumptions for this question:

1) Fab is not coming back this year (no inside info, just assuming the worst).
2) No one else is going to leave the team/get hurt.

I'm saying we need to go 7-2 regular season and 1-1 in the BET and we still get a 1 seed. I'm not saying this is what will happen, I am saying this is the minimum that we need to get a 1 seed.

I'm also predicting that Rak is going to keep improving on his Cincy performance.

It's fairly simple, imo. We will be a #1 seed if we have no more than 4 losses come selection Sunday. So that pretty much agrees with your premise.

I'm saying we need to go 7-2 regular season and 1-1 in the BET and we still get a 1 seed. I'm not saying this is what will happen, I am saying this is the minimum that we need to get a 1 seed.

I'm also predicting that Rak is going to keep improving on his Cincy performance.

I think it all depends on how we do in these 5 games:

Georgetown
Uconn x 2
Louisville x2

I think this was the case before the Melo situation. If we go 3-2 in these games and dont stub our toe against any others then I think we are still good.

The committee will also look at the Melo situation in 2 different ways. If he does not come back Syracuse could get the Cincinnati treatment when Kenyon Martin broke his leg in the conference USA tourney first tound against St. Louis and was out for the season. Despite being the clear #1 team in the land they were given a 2 seed in the tourney. When a player does not come back they tend to judge the team on what you have, not what you had with that player.

If he does come back in a week, two or whenever and we were to lose a couple of more games while he is out and then get back to winning when he comes back they wil certainy take that into consideration and seed based more on when they had him.

Winning the conference regular season usually holds weight in the committees eyes as well.

Must win BE reg season.

Right now UK, 'Cuse, Mizzou, Baylor, Ohio St., Duke, UNC, KU all in the hunt. There is always a darkhorse that will come on out of nowhere in the last 2 weeks/Tourney time (G-Town, Florida, Mich St.?). Too many varibles at this point to see how it plays out, but if we take care of business and win the conference, I can't see us not getting a 1.

Must win BE reg season.

Right now UK, 'Cuse, Mizzou, Baylor, Ohio St., Duke, UNC, KU all in the hunt. There is always a darkhorse that will come on out of nowhere in the last 2 weeks/Tourney time (G-Town, Florida, Mich St.?). Too many varibles at this point to see how it plays out, but if we take care of business and win the conference, I can't see us not getting a 1.

Just looking at the list...based on what I have seen play out personally...Cuse, UK, UNC and OSU appear to be the most 1 seed worthy.

Mizzou, Baylor, Duke, KU are all more like 2 seeds.

Just looking at the list...based on what I have seen play out personally...Cuse, UK, UNC and OSU appear to be the most 1 seed worthy.

Agreed, but most likely whomever emerges out of Big 12 will be in good shape.

If Fab is gone for the year, we definitely need to finish strongly enough without him to show that we are 1 seed caliber. We are 'lucky' in the sense that the schedule is backloaded; if we pile up the wins without Fab against WVU, Gtown, UConn, etc, we should be ok.

If we win the league outright, we should get a 1 seed. I've said that all year, and I will stand by it now.

I think KU is going to get a 1 seed. They're going to win the laeague again it looks like.

You should relook at UNC.

Win the big east regular season with at least a 15-3 record and we're a lock 1 seed. Lets say we win the regular season with a 14-4 record (very possible) then we're probably on the 1 seed "bubble".

Just tell the Selection Commitee we are getting Fab back in time for the Dance. ;)

IMO, its probable that selection committee will "punish" us for losing fab like they did when AO got injured.

With that in mind, I think we need 4 losses or less plus a decent big east tourney run to get a #1 seed.

Too early to say.

We probably got pretty lucky in 2010, without AO we are likely not a 1 seed.

I think UK and SU are the most worthy 1 seeds right now. After that OSU but then that 4th one is pretty fuzzy right now. Duke and UNC are very questionable as 1 seeds IMO, Mizzu and Kansas have to be ahead of them at this point.

I think UK and SU are the most worthy 1 seeds right now. After that OSU but then that 4th one is pretty fuzzy right now. Duke and UNC are very questionable as 1 seeds IMO, Mizzu and Kansas have to be ahead of them at this point.

I think if NC State or Va Tech could somehow knock one of them off...we'd be safely ahead of them for good.

the funny thing is with Fab we probably could have lost 4-5 games(including one in BET) and been a #1 if we won BE regular season, but without Fab if we lose those same 4-5 games we are probably a 2 or 3 because all 4-5 losses would be without fab

:noidea:

anyways I would say without fab we:

1) after ND loss can't afford to lose to rutgers, USF, St Johns, or first BET game
2) need to win at least 3 of 6 gtown, uconn, ville, WVU
3) win BE reg season

IMO, its probable that selection committee will "punish" us for losing fab like they did when AO got injured.

With that in mind, I think we need 4 losses or less plus a decent big east tourney run to get a #1 seed.

Too early to say.
Best screen name on this board.

Best screen name on this board.
I like Captain Tuttle - a wierd Mash imaginary character reference. Also, the poster on this thread as MGP is known elsewhere as "Michael Graham's Punch" which always makes me chuckle.

Isn't there a NCAA rule that if Duke is above .500 they get a 1 seed??

My first thought when I read your headline before clicking on your post was - our center.

But discounting that, Id say if Syracuse has 3 losses or fewer at the end of the Big East tournament they are pretty safely a 1 seed. Not sure how realistic that is without Fab.

Any more losses, and you really cant look at it in a vacuum. You have to look at who the competition is.

Kentucky is the closest thing to a lock for a 1 seed. They are very good, and the SEC is not very good. There are only a few teams left on their schedule even capable of beating them, and all of those will be heavy underdogs when they play.

The Big 12 takes the spot normally reserved for the Big East, as best overall conference. The winner of the Big 12 (assuming it is Missouri, Kansas, or Baylor) deserves a 1 seed and will most likely get it.

Ohio St will get a one seed assuming they run away with the Big 10. And, for the record I think they will. The Big 10 is over-rated as a conference. Ohio St is elite then there are a bunch of overrated/fringe top 25 teams. Michigan St and Wisconsin are two of the most overrated teams in the country.

That leaves one open spot. If you want to know how Syracuse gets a 1 seed, it does so by out performing Duke and UNC. I have seen both play several times this year and I dont think either is of 1 seed quality. But the ACC is very bad, so they will both stockpile wins. Notice I said OUT perform both Duke and UNC. In this case (as always) they will win any tie or close argument.

To deserve one, IMO. Fab Melo

We have no high or low post offense without Melo. Our rebounding isn't that good either. Just lost our only PF as well.

IMO we NEED Melo and I don't know how we can be anywhere near the same happy level without him.

IMO Surprised that some think we are nearly as good without him it perplexes me.

I think if NC State or Va Tech could somehow knock one of them off...we'd be safely ahead of them for good.

No chance that would clinch anything. As long as Duke beats their usual NIT-bound opponents in the ACCT they're an auto #1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom