What happened to Carey? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What happened to Carey?

He pushes. Super active. Always looking.
I don't know th plus minus stuff, but we always seem to go on a run when he is on the floor.
Maybe just the change of pace.
I like the speed he brings as well. But he has to cut the t.o.'s They are the worst t.o.'s because they seem to lead to breakaways for the other team.

He sure has an upside. He will be our best player next year.

I've been impressed by Hughes. He's going to be really good next year. He's already averaging 15 ppg and shooting around 36% from three. He's turned out to be much better than I expected.

I think early in the season it was Cherie who said he reminded her of Raf Addison. I get that, and agree.

Carey was too good in the games in NYC so he had to be neutered.

The MSG games were eons ago at this point. He's averaging less than 2.5 ppg since then and contributing basically nothing on the offensive side of the ball. He can't shoot and he is terrible at protecting the ball. I think he has the tools to be a really good player, but he has been incredibly disappointing this season, imo, especially based on the hype that we heard about heading into the season. Hopefully he can get it together sooner than later, as we will need him down the stretch.

These are Carey's per 40 numbers:

12 points, 3.5 assists, 5 TOs, 5 boards, and 2 steals

The turnovers are a problem but the rest is solid for a frosh, especially the steals.

His shooting is not nearly as bad as some are saying, btw. He's 48% inside the arc and 22% outside. 70% of his attempts are inside the arc, so his shot selection is good. He's not constantly jacking up dumb threes that he can't make.

The MSG games were eons ago at this point. He's averaging less than 2.5 ppg since then and contributing basically nothing on the offensive side of the ball. He can't shoot and he is terrible at protecting the ball. I think he has the tools to be a really good player, but he has been incredibly disappointing this season, imo, especially based on the hype that we heard about heading into the season. Hopefully he can get it together sooner than later, as we will need him down the stretch.

Inconsistent sporadic playing time can do that to some players. We've seen what he can do with real opportunity. He's going to be huge next season.

Assuming that Frank and probably Tyus are gone next year, Jalen is going to have a lot of ball handling and leadership responsibilities.

Well, we have a good coaching staff, right?

So his ballhandling should improve with a staff of four former SU guards.

Or so one would think.

Like Chukwu, he's going to have to earn his minutes.

Boeheiming players is a tried and true strategy. For all we know, it's possible he pulls a MCW or Waiters next season.
It's quite likely he will be a consistenty great player next season. And there will posters claiming he would have done the same thing as a freshman if given the chance, but as was the case with Waiters and MCW, that will be hogwash.

Inconsistent sporadic playing time can do that to some players. We've seen what he can do with real opportunity. He's going to be huge next season.

I definitely don't disagree with that, but his playing time has been sporadic for a reason. He was given an opportunity early in the season and he looked like he was going to take advantage of it, but I'm not sure what happened. It's unfortunate that he has not been able to contribute in a meaningful way, at least on offense (he's been exceptional on D).

Boeheiming players is a tried and true strategy. For all we know, it's possible he pulls a MCW or Waiters next season.
Maybe that strategy works with elite talent but that’s not the case here. This could turn into kj2.0 if JB doesn’t keep him engaged.

I don’t think so. KJ just wasn’t very good. I think JC is.
The thing that strikes me is they both have scary bad handles. JV squad bad.

Development isn’t linear. There are always fits and starts. There are also issues with using undersized SFs/combo guards as PGs. They may take some more time developing P5 ball handling skills.

I’ve been 0/2 on writeoffs so far this year with Chukwu’s random re-emergence and Buddy looking to be a legit sniper out there, so hopefully Carey does the same if given the opportunity.

That being said, it shouldn’t be shocking that with Frank getting more and more in shape every game that passes, Battle being able to hold down primary ball handler for small stretches and Buddy looking the part, that Carey is odd man out of the rotation.

Both he and Buddy were given sporadic playing time. One has taken advantage of it, and one has struggled. The one who took advantage of it is playing.

The only thing Carey needs to do to see floor time is learn to be a better ball handler. Forget the scoring. He just needs to be able to be an asset when Frank/Tyus need a break.
He'll be fine with time and practice. No need to get down of him now. JB has indicated many times that when you look good in practice you'll get time in the game.

Both he and Buddy were given sporadic playing time. One has taken advantage of it, and one has struggled. The one who took advantage of it is playing.
Buddy hasn't played well in the regular season until the last 2-3 games. You can definitely argue Carey has shown more over the course of the year. He definitely gives you a lot more on Defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom