What has Benny done to deserve... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

What has Benny done to deserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s zero precedent for how bad Benny has been this season except maybe Ron Patterson. Every metric says he’s been our worst freshman maybe ever. We are talking below Brycen Goodine or Kaleb Joseph levels when he’s on the court.
Kaleb Joseph had entire games where he was very effective . Just not enough of them. They aren’t even in the same league. The scary thing about Benny is at least once a game he has a play where it looks like he’s playing basketball for the first time ….. I’m not exaggerating or even trying to be mean .. I’m pulling for him .. just look at that first layup attempt vs BC.. What was that ?

There’s zero precedent for how bad Benny has been this season except maybe Ron Patterson. Every metric says he’s been our worst freshman maybe ever. We are talking below Brycen Goodine or Kaleb Joseph levels when he’s on the court.
I have to agree. I'm the kind of person that likes to take away something positive from everyone in a game, win or lose. But it's been a tough year for Benny. Not giving up on him though.

Kaleb Joseph had entire games where he was very effective . Just not enough of them. They aren’t even in the same league. The scary thing about Benny is at least once a game he has a play where it looks like he’s playing basketball for the first time ….. I’m not exaggerating or even trying to be mean .. I’m pulling for him .. just look at that first layup attempt vs BC.. What was that ?
I think he was surprised he was actually getting a shot.

The category that he is in statistically makes it look like he has little to no upside. The comps here are not good. At all. I know every kid is different and there always exceptions to every rule but it doesn't paint an optimistic picture. Rooting for him to pull it together but we have a pretty large sample size now.

….. I’m not exaggerating or even trying to be mean .. I’m pulling for him .. just look at that first layup attempt vs BC.. What was that ?

It was shocking to watch.

The category that he is in statistically makes it look like he has little to no upside. The comps here are not good. At all. I know every kid is different and there always exceptions to every rule but it doesn't paint an optimistic picture. Rooting for him to pull it together but we have a pretty large sample size now.
I very selfishly want to see him buck the odds and become awesome here.

But I think JB has decided, kind of like Roberson, that he's going to wreck him.

Sometimes it's just not a match between coach and player. I hate thinking it, but it looks pretty clear that there's a greater than zero chance that's what we're seeing.

I did a filter on cbb reference and he has the lowest offensive rating of any freshman we have ever had that has played at least 15 games in JB’s tenure. Hoping he could turn into something of an Andre Jackson type player, but Jackson can pass and handle the ball a whole lot better than Benny.

But I think JB has decided, kind of like Roberson, that he's going to wreck him.

Sometimes it's just not a match between coach and player. I hate thinking it, but it looks pretty clear that there's a greater than zero chance that's what we're seeing.

Roberson contributed (major contributed) to a Final Four run and then had the worst Senior season imaginable. It wasn't just in the NCAAT either as a Junior he averaged 30 MPG and 8 pts 8 rb.

I think JB developed him pretty well getting that NCAA run his third season.

Roberson contributed (major contributed) to a Final Four run and then had the worst Senior season imaginable. It wasn't just in the NCAAT either as a Junior he averaged 30 MPG and 8 pts 8 rb.

I think JB developed him pretty well getting that NCAA run his third season.
I think Roberson would have done a lot better under a coach that understood how to motivate him better.

I think more often that not kids today don't respond like they used to with certain yelling and the JB style. Some kids need to be handled differently.

I see a kid that started slow and is trying to work hard but knows his coach thinks he's crap and not worthy right now.

And the second one wasn’t much better. At least it went in.

Come on. You think JB decides to wreck players?

Look, he’s an old school coach. He believes guys like Roberson and Williams need to be mentally tough and stick to their roles. I’m not saying that’s the most effective strategy in 2022, but he thinks it is.

Come on. You think JB decides to wreck players?

Look, he’s an old school coach. He believes guys like Roberson and Williams need to be mentally tough and stick to their roles. I’m not saying that’s the most effective strategy in 2022, but he thinks it is.
I think JB decides that he's going to coach guys certain ways, that aren't likely to be successful for that player, and the player never achieves their full potential, ie, gets wrecked.

Look, it happens. I said earlier sometimes the player and coach don't match up. I've resigned myself that this is what's happening here. For other guys, JB undoubtedly gets the most out of them.

But all that said, do I think Benny has talent that would be more evident under a different coach.

ABSO-DAMN-LUTELY

I’m officially done with Benny. That jog back on defense tonight spelled the end of his evening and of my support. If you don’t want to play, fake an injury or something.

I’m officially done with Benny. That jog back on defense tonight spelled the end of his evening and of my support. If you don’t want to play, fake an injury or something.
Is that the one where he gave up the three and got pulled? If so, I agree.

Yeah, he's countdown to portal open at this point.

We don't need to see any more of him.

I like how everyone is crying about him not running back. This is when Jimmy threw up a wild shot and missed Benny was underneath from the rebound. Ended up on the ground got up and still beat Jimmy down the court.
He was ahead of Jimmy

Effort is the one thing in his control. He needs to sprint up the floor in both ends. Joe or Symir will find him for an easy dunk every now and again.
Preached that to every kid I’ve ever coached or talked to about this or any other game. My son has been hearing that since he was 3, and heard it again this afternoon about school. Benny either does get it, or doesn’t care, both of which make me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom