What has Benny done to deserve... | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

What has Benny done to deserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last post answers your question.

I'd rather have minutes 30-32 of Jimmy at the end of the game vs minutes 38-40 of Jimmy.
Some of you look it at Jimmy/Cole vs Benny...its just not how I look at it.

Giannis doesnt even play all of game 7, yet no one is suggesting Bobby Portis is better than Giannis

Also...if you go by EvanMiya's numbers. His BPR is much closer to Jimmy than it should be.
This might be where I don’t understand the statistics you use.

If Benny is a -5 net and Jimmy is +3, what is the advantage for coach to play Benny. I agree with your logic, of course cuse should be able to diversify minutes, but why with these results?

This might be where I don’t understand the statistics you use.

If Benny is a -5 net and Jimmy is +3, what is the advantage for coach to play Benny. I agree with your logic, of course cuse should be able to diversify minutes, but why with these results?
You don't understand the concept of fatigue?
We don't just play the top 5 players 40 mins and call it a day. That'd be absurd, right?

If I suggested Benny should start and play more minutes than Jimmy, your point makes sense.
I'm not.

I'm not disagreeing necessarily. Just throwing numbers out there.

I don't think he's played well. I would argue 3-5 mins would help Jimmy and/or Cole at the end of games
You may be right, but it seems JB's formula for winning games prefers Jimmy and Cole playing on fumes over extended minutes for Benny at this point.

The only case for getting Benny minutes at this point is that it’d spare someone else a few minutes. I mean I guess that’s a reason, but I’m surprised people are passionate about it.

This year has been a total wash for him. He seems like a good kid and I hope he sticks around and is a contributor next season. But he’s been a historic disappointment this year. Shame.

You don't understand the concept of fatigue?
We don't just play the top 5 players 40 mins and call it a day. That'd be absurd, right?

If I suggested Benny should start and play more minutes than Jimmy, your point makes sense.
I'm not.
No, totally understand fatigue.

The thing is Jimmy is outperforming him playing with fatigue. Why play Benny more than what he is getting based on the stats you use?

Again, I hate how many minutes these guys play too, but your only reason for playing Benny is to give Jb a breather? Maybe they should just rotate JB out when ST comes in. Move BB down, and rotate through the lineup until everyone gets a couple minutes out at this point.

The thing is Jimmy is outperforming him playing with fatigue. Why play Benny more than what he is getting based on the stats you use?

Again, I hate how many minutes these guys play too, but your only reason for playing Benny is to give Jb a breather? Maybe they should just rotate JB out when ST comes in. Move BB down, and rotate through the lineup until everyone gets a couple minutes out at this point.
Not opposed to that either. BTW, if you played the Top 5 based purely on certain analytics, Jimmy wouldn't start, Symir has a better BPR than Jimmy does for example

The only case for getting Benny minutes at this point is that it’d spare someone else a few minutes. I mean I guess that’s a reason, but I’m surprised people are passionate about it.

This year has been a total wash for him. He seems like a good kid and I hope he sticks around and is a contributor next season. But he’s been a historic disappointment this year. Shame.
Can only speak for myself...long past passionate for Benny and this team in general. Just talkin' SU basketball

Imagine that!

Jimmy looked great in the second half right. I mean he was like what 0-8 and constantly got killed on the boards and the defensive side of the ball. You do know Benny while missing shots still isn’t a net negative on the court. Today he had two deflections and took a charge in his 5 minutes he was a +5. There is no reason Benny or anyone else can’t take 5-10 minutes from Jimmy to at least keep him fresh. Jimmy was by far the worst player on the court in the second half for both teams tonight by far.

At this point Benny shouldn’t be playing 30 minutes a night but no reason he can’t get 10 or so a night. The team has enough players that can score and shoot but not enough people taking charges and getting deflection. And again for all his struggles on offense he still isn’t a net negative for the team on the court and it’s rare when he comes in the team struggles.
We don’t win this game if not for Junior’s contributions in the first half.

The kid needs support from his coach vs having his confidence shattered. Jims approach is horrible for him. Play him 5 a half. Let him know hes got 5 not to look over his shoulder and to play hard, play free.
Youd be shocked at how much better he would play. Jim completely screwed this kids head up.
I’m over these types of excuses.

Told the same bout other players we've had and turns out their new coaches use them just like JB did. Go figure.
The kid is broken.
I still think the HC deserves criticism for not atleast anticipating the kid could possibly not be ready and having the roster stocked up for this scenario.

3 forwards are not enough unless one of them is a bonafide stud.
Swider and Jimmy were both transfers.
JB bas screwed up the roster. I never thought JB would play Jimmy 36 MPG. But he is and he wears down each game.
Benny doesn’t deserve minutes but JB needs to play the bench as these kids starting shouldn’t need to go 36+. That should be reserved for stud players you don’t want to sit.

The kid is broken.
I still think the HC deserves criticism for not atleast anticipating the kid coupd possibly not ready and having the roster stocked up for this scenario.

3 forwards are not enough unless one of them is a bonafide stud.
Swider and Jimmy were both transfers.
JB bas screwed up the roster. I never thought JB would play Jimmy 36 MPG. But he is and he wears down each game.
Benny doesn’t deserve minutes but JB needs to play the bench as these kids starting shouldn’t need to go 36+. That should be reserved for stud players you don’t want to sit.

Maybe.

This is a new one for me and will give credence to others that are anti-assistant coaches taking over, but maybe our evaluations aren't very good. We've brought in guys that could not do anything and some other guys that maybe didn't have it between the ears.

I'm not up on portal forwards that are doing well somewhere else that we could've gotten so cannot and won't speak to that part.

Benny also gave up a wide open three in the corner when he loafed getting back on defense. That’s inexcusable and worth sitting him down. He came in early last night and once AGAIN didn’t take advantage of it.

Maybe.

This is a new one for me and will give credence to others that are anti-assistant coaches taking over, but maybe our evaluations aren't very good. We've brought in guys that could not do anything and some other guys that maybe didn't have it between the ears.

I'm not up on portal forwards that are doing well somewhere else that we could've gotten so cannot and won't speak to that part.
IMG has to be the highest level of High School competition or close to it though.

I think JB was just due to get burned by force feeding another kid 40 mins.

Its somewhat impressive the team has kept fighting and hasn't collapsed lots of factors have worked against this squad that could have seen the wheels come off. I know the ACC is down but still.

Maybe.

Yep, it seems clear to me that there was a failure in evaluation here. He hasn't been ready for prime time since day one. I was sympathetic to the "broken" stuff three months ago. But Benny has been getting rope that almost no underperforming SU frosh has ever gotten, and still he has squandered almost every opportunity he's received the entire season.

The idea that he was going to be a high-impact, 25+ minute a game contributor seems utterly insane in retrospect. That the coaches thought that was likely is... discouraging.

Yep, it seems clear to me that there was a failure in evaluation here. He hasn't been ready for prime time since day one. I was sympathetic to the "broken" stuff three months ago. But Benny has been getting rope that almost no underperforming SU frosh has ever gotten, and still he has squandered almost every opportunity he's received the entire season.

The idea that he was going to be a high-impact, 25+ minute a game contributor seems utterly insane in retrospect. That the coaches thought that was likely is... discouraging.
Idk what’s going on with Benny. But even Woody would have been able to contribute as our third forward over Benny if he had returned. Benny wouldn’t be getting any playing time if either Braswell or Woody were on this roster.

Idk what’s going on with Benny. But even Woody would have been able to contribute as our third forward over Benny if he had returned. Benny wouldn’t be getting any playing time if either Braswell or Woody were on this roster.
Agree completely. I don't want to pile on the kid, but he has shot 1 for 14 from the field in his last 11 games. People get all excited when he plays good D for a couple of possessions. It's weird. If JB hadn't botched the roster construction of this team so badly, he probably wouldn't have played since mid-January.

All of you “failure in evaluation” and benny was a “bust of a recruit” guys better apologize to all of us down the road. Just like Edwards. I had most of the same posters telling me I was crazy to think he deserved to play last yr. Then look at the end of the season and this season…

Outside of Frank, Benny has the worst plus/minus on the team and the worst offensive rating of any player who has played more than 15 games in Syracuse history. I'm not sure what people are seeing with him when they say they want him on the court more and I was arguing this myself in December. And while he may be better than Jimmy defensively his offense is so bad it doesn't offset anything else he does.

Maybe.

FWIW he was a Red recruit...

Outside of Frank, Benny has the worst plus/minus on the team and the worst offensive rating of any player who has played more than 15 games in Syracuse history. I'm not sure what people are seeing with him when they say they want him on the court more and I was arguing this myself in December. And while he may be better than Jimmy defensively his offense is so bad it doesn't offset anything else he does.
Has more potential than any player on the roster outside of Jesse. God forbid he is allowed to stay in and have a chance to do something positive.

Has more potential than any player on the roster outside of Jesse. God forbid he is allowed to stay in and have a chance to do something positive.
No one is trying to run him out the door or write him off for good. Some of us are just commenting on what we've seen to date, and how that impacts the current season.

All of you “failure in evaluation” and benny was a “bust of a recruit” guys better apologize to all of us down the road. Just like Edwards. I had most of the same posters telling me I was crazy to think he deserved to play last yr. Then look at the end of the season and this season…
Nah. Fans said Jesse had to get better. He did. He then got more and more PT. He worked his way into a starting position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom