What has Benny done to deserve... | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

What has Benny done to deserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think JB decides that he's going to coachmen guys certain ways, that aren't likely to be successful for that player, and the player never achieves their full potential, ie, gets wrecked.

Look, it happens. I said earlier sometimes the player and coach don't match up. I've resigned myself that this is what's happening here. For other guys, JB undoubtedly gets the most out of them.

But all that said, do I think Benny has talent that would be more evident under a different coach.

ABSO-DAMN-LUTEL

Watch the play again Jimmy was standing over Benny who was on the ground.
I’ve already deleted that game. Either way, his lack of effort got him the hook.

I’ve already deleted that game. Either way, his lack of effort got him the hook.
He really has to show that effort. I would also like to see Buddy show some effort in the defensive boards. On that put back dunk by Usher, Buddy just stood there staring at the ball while Usher came from further away to dunk it. Buddy could easily have gotten position or spotted Usher and gotten a body on him.

He really has to show that effort. I would also like to see Buddy show some effort in the defensive boards. On that put back dunk by Usher, Buddy just stood there staring at the ball while Usher came from further away to dunk it. Buddy could easily have gotten position or spotted Usher and gotten a body on him.
Doesn’t even cross buddy’s mind to box out.

He’s a good scorer, but not a good player if that makes sense. From a team concept
It does. I don’t mean to disparage Buddy, I think he is good for this team. But, a great player makes the players around him better. Buddy is a subpar passer for a guard. Ian’s there is the zero effort rebounding. When he is on, it doesn’t matter, because when he’s hot, I don’t mind him taking a ton of shots. But, when he is cold, we will be lucky to stay in games.

I like how everyone is crying about him not running back. This is when Jimmy threw up a wild shot and missed Benny was underneath from the rebound. Ended up on the ground got up and still beat Jimmy down the court.
One scores 10+ a game, the other goes 1-22 over a 2 month stretch. You tell me which one should be in the game.

Roberson contributed (major contributed) to a Final Four run and then had the worst Senior season imaginable. It wasn't just in the NCAAT either as a Junior he averaged 30 MPG and 8 pts 8 rb.

I think JB developed him pretty well getting that NCAA run his third season.
Looking at any number of advanced metrics, Roberson was quite productive and efficient from his freshman year forward. He lost minutes as a senior, and his performances were erratic, but he was still solid overall to the end.

It’s the only explanation. He had skill and supreme athleticism. But he’s completely broken. Hope the game slows down for him. It doesn’t for alot of them
Hes been Jbd

I’m officially done with Benny. That jog back on defense tonight spelled the end of his evening and of my support. If you don’t want to play, fake an injury or something.
I really can't figure this kid out. He turns 20 next month, so he's not a "young" freshman, either.

One scores 10+ a game, the other goes 1-22 over a 2 month stretch. You tell me which one should be in the game.

Jimmy looked great in the second half right. I mean he was like what 0-8 and constantly got killed on the boards and the defensive side of the ball. You do know Benny while missing shots still isn’t a net negative on the court. Today he had two deflections and took a charge in his 5 minutes he was a +5. There is no reason Benny or anyone else can’t take 5-10 minutes from Jimmy to at least keep him fresh. Jimmy was by far the worst player on the court in the second half for both teams tonight by far.

At this point Benny shouldn’t be playing 30 minutes a night but no reason he can’t get 10 or so a night. The team has enough players that can score and shoot but not enough people taking charges and getting deflection. And again for all his struggles on offense he still isn’t a net negative for the team on the court and it’s rare when he comes in the team struggles.

Jimmy looked great in the second half right. I mean he was like what 0-8 and constantly got killed on the boards and the defensive side of the ball. You do know Benny while missing shots still isn’t a net negative on the court. Today he had two deflections and took a charge in his 5 minutes he was a +5. There is no reason Benny or anyone else can’t take 5-10 minutes from Jimmy to at least keep him fresh. Jimmy was by far the worst player on the court in the second half for both teams tonight by far.

At this point Benny shouldn’t be playing 30 minutes a night but no reason he can’t get 10 or so a night. The team has enough players that can score and shoot but not enough people taking charges and getting deflection. And again for all his struggles on offense he still isn’t a net negative for the team on the court and it’s rare when he comes in the team struggles.
He does get 10+ minutes a night. If he performed even slightly better, he'd earn more time. It's on him.

He does get 10+ minutes a night. If he performed even slightly better, he'd earn more time. It's on him.

I agree but there was no reason to have sit the entire second half with the way Jimmy was playing in the second. Clearly jimmy can’t play 40 you can tell he wears out so getting Benny 5 minutes in the second half allowing Jimmy to rest would have helped jimmy down the stretch.

The kid needs support from his coach vs having his confidence shattered. Jims approach is horrible for him. Play him 5 a half. Let him know hes got 5 not to look over his shoulder and to play hard, play free.
Youd be shocked at how much better he would play. Jim completely screwed this kids head up.

The kid needs support from his coach vs having his confidence shattered. Jims approach is horrible for him. Play him 5 a half. Let him know hes got 5 not to look over his shoulder and to play hard, play free.
Youd be shocked at how much better he would play. Jim completely screwed this kids head up.
I would like to see that, too. But for Christ sake, sprint up the court on both offense and defense. Move on offense. Make smart cuts and catch the freaking ball and try to go over anyone in your way. Even if you get a charge, at least you were aggressively. And next time down the court do it again.

I agree but there was no reason to have sit the entire second half with the way Jimmy was playing in the second. Clearly jimmy can’t play 40 you can tell he wears out so getting Benny 5 minutes in the second half allowing Jimmy to rest would have helped jimmy down the stretch.
JB rides the players he trusts in the second half of close games, and that's not a recent development.

only played 10+ in 5 ACC games.

Our record in those games is 3-2 (could easily be 4-1 as one was @Wake)
He set a very low bar in the non-conference, but has somehow been worse in ACC play and has lost minutes as a result. I wish it were different.

Last edited:

You’re a lost cause at this point, anyone who still puts eggs in the Benny basket is wishing and not watching. When he’s out there he simply goes through motions and is not playing with any intensity. We all want him to be great, but he’s just not of much value to the team right now.

He set a very low bar in the non-conference, but has someone been worse in ACC play and has lost minutes as a result. I wish it were different.
I'm not disagreeing necessarily. Just throwing numbers out there.

I don't think he's played well. I would argue 3-5 mins would help Jimmy and/or Cole at the end of games

only played 10+ in 5 ACC games.

Our record in those games is 3-2 (could easily be 4-1 as one was @Wake)
Don’t the metrics you’ve been using list him as a net negative at this point? Basically he doesn’t pass the eye test, what metric shows that he should be playing?

Don’t the metrics you’ve been using list him as a net negative at this point? Basically he doesn’t pass the eye test, what metric shows that he should be playing?
My last post answers your question.

I'd rather have minutes 30-32 of Jimmy at the end of the game vs minutes 38-40 of Jimmy.
Some of you look it at Jimmy/Cole vs Benny...its just not how I look at it.

Giannis doesnt even play all of game 7, yet no one is suggesting Bobby Portis is better than Giannis

Also...if you go by EvanMiya's numbers. His BPR is much closer to Jimmy than it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom