What has Benny done to deserve... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What has Benny done to deserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are more than a few top 100 frosh who aren't doing much this year. I think you have to factor in the significant impacts to HS, Prep and AAU schedules as well as just general workouts for these kids. It's a lot of kids coming in less prepared than normal which puts them behind.

So I'm not saying that your observations of his production are wrong but as for being behind as a frosh class in total- let's not lose sight of that.
That all may be true. I can't really say I've paid enough attention around the country to know. I just know Benny has been the worst player on our team so far this year and our team isn't good in the first place so that's saying a lot.

There’s only one ball folks…..Buddy and Joe take a ton of shots most nights and then Cole gets his…..worrying that Benny will hurt us on offense is silly. Keep him down low and tell him to rebound the bricks our elite shooters are throwing up
He hasn't rebounded as well as Jimmy, Cole, etc. either.

You're exaggerating. He was about as efficient as Oshae Brissett and Trevor Cooney and this board killed those guys.

JB had to play Malachi out of position at SF cause we literally had no one else. That team had 9 scholarship players. 2 of which were Kaleb Joseph and Chino Okoboh. Looking at that roster it's a miracle that JB got us as far as he did riding 5.5 guys.
I don't know what to say. His skill set and the way he played to me were apparent, but obviously you feel differently. It's not like he played just because there was nobody else. He played because he was extremely talented. Benny isn't anywhere close to that talent level. Most players aren't as freshmen.

I don't know what to say. His skill set and the way he played to me were apparent, but obviously you feel differently. It's not like he played just because there was nobody else. He played because he was extremely talented. Benny isn't anywhere close to that talent level. Most players aren't as freshmen.
Do you think he would have got as many minutes that season had Chris McCullough not gone pro?

Malachi was a STARTER from the start. That was the major difference. He didn’t have a coach messing with his head.
Malachi was so much more talented than Benny and at least 95% (probably 99%) of other freshmen that we've had. He could've come off the bench and done that. Dion did. Benny starting would not have made him significantly better than he is now.

Again, that's not a knock on Benny. He just isn't there yet. A lot of freshmen aren't!

That all may be true. I can't really say I've paid enough attention around the country to know. I just know Benny has been the worst player on our team so far this year and our team isn't good in the first place so that's saying a lot.

Right now his comparable as a frosh is Carey minus that one game vs UConn or Matty Moyer. Carey and MM had better players around him though too which certainly has its own impact. Given Benny is behind for reasons noted above, it's not yet fair to really say if he is more JC or Matt Moyer than just a kid who needs another off season and lessons learned in this season to be the player he is capable of.

Which is what makes this season as it stands in being a lost cause the ideal chance for him to play out his development and help the staff with a better picture of what he might be able to do.

Malachi was so much more talented than Benny and at least 95% (probably 99%) of other freshmen that we've had. He could've come off the bench and done that. Dion did. Benny starting would not have made him significantly better than he is now.

Again, that's not a knock on Benny. He just isn't there yet. A lot of freshmen aren't!
How many of Benny's and Malachi's high school games did you watch?

Right now his comparable as a frosh is Carey minus that one game vs UConn or Matty Moyer. Carey and MM had better players around him though too which certainly has its own impact. Given Benny is behind for reasons noted above, it's not yet fair to really say if he is more JC or Matt Moyer than just a kid who needs another off season and lessons learned in this season to be the player he is capable of.

Which is what makes this season as it stands in being a lost cause the ideal chance for him to play out his development and help the staff with a better picture of what he might be able to do.
Yeah, to be clear, I would like to see Benny get more minutes too. I've felt this was likely a lost season before it even started and it became apparent pretty quickly that those fears were for good reason. I don't really blame the coaching staff for trying to win every game; it's natural, especially with college athletics where you don't really know if these guys will be back next season anyways. But from a fan's perspective, I think we should all be hoping for more Benny minutes to give him more chances. We don't have anyone else to really look to in the future on this team.

Do you think he would have got as many minutes that season had Chris McCullough not gone pro?
I think Roberson and Lydon's minutes get cut the most. Malachi loses some minutes, but he still plays 30 a game. Maybe even starts. Roberson might've come off the bench. Not sure I get the point though. Either way Malachi was going to play. It's not like he all of a sudden improved because he started instead of coming off the bench.

How many of Benny's and Malachi's high school games did you watch?
Why does that matter? I watched both of them play in college. Malachi was a better ball handler, shooter, driver, and defender from the start than Benny is. Are you arguing that Benny has the ability to do what Malachi did, but because he's not playing a lot, he can't show it?

Revisionist history. He was not a star here from the start. He shot 27% from 3 in the Non Conference Including a game he went 0-11 against St. Johns. He was extremely hot and cold just like another lightning rod shooting guard we had on that team. It wasn’t until JB got back from his suspension that he really started to play well.

He did some work in the Bahamas.

What has Benny done to deserve to get treated like crap?

He committed to us all the way back in 2019. Only wanted to come play for the Orange and nobody else. His sister grew up with Jerami Grant.

He averaged 16pts 6reb a game his senior season at IMG and is given 5 stars.

Only to be banished to the bench and thrown under the bus constantly. Yanked out of the game at the first mistake. Chastised at every turn.

Gee I wonder why he may not be playing up to his potential…

I think Roberson and Lydon's minutes get cut the most. Malachi loses some minutes, but he still plays 30 a game. Maybe even starts. Roberson might've come off the bench. Not sure I get the point though. Either way Malachi was going to play. It's not like he all of a sudden improved because he started instead of coming off the bench.
Would have been even dumber. Malachi was our 5th best player that year by most metrics. Roberson and Lydon were clearly better overall. I'm just tired of the rotations and lack of time for guys to play.

Edwards should have been playing a lot sooner last year as well. We probably would have been a lot better had he got in sooner.

And I agree that Benny has struggled on offense, but his main strength is our main weakness. Athleticism. You think JB would use him to at least try to make the zone better. That's how Braswell got time over Griffin at the end of last season.

Why does that matter? I watched both of them play in college. Malachi was a better ball handler, shooter, driver, and defender from the start than Benny is. Are you arguing that Benny has the ability to do what Malachi did, but because he's not playing a lot, he can't show it?
It matters because it shows you the difference between what Benny could do a year ago and how he is playing now. And, then you can understand what has changed from them to now. The college game is faster, but that doesn't make his shot flatter. It doesn't put a hitch in his shot. It doesn't make him lose the ball in inexplicable ways (Joe, Jimmy and Cole all have the same issue). Anyway, the bottom line is, Benny earned a 5 star ranking because he is extremely athletic, he could score at all levels. His turnaround was unguardable. He had three point range with a great stroke. He could handle the ball very well for a forward. He is extremely intelligent and coachable. The issue is how he has been handled. If he started from day one I am guessing we would be seeing much more of the player we all expected. But, he has been jerked around and it has messed with his head. You can tell that when he gets on the court, he is thinking his way through the game. Malachi is a talented player. Benny is even more talented. Their opportunity was different. Their personalities are different. I just hope Benny gets pissed off and starts acting like the alpha he should be.

...more playing time? I like Benny. I think he will grow to be a very good player. But if you had no idea he was a five-star recruit and you evaluated based on what he has shown this year, what about his game says he DESERVES to play more?

Obviously his athleticism stands out, but he looks lost many times on offense. His most common shot is a fade away jumper, and his movement needs a lot of work. Benny's lack of confidence shows. I'd love for him to seal on the mid post and call for the ball. And when he gets it, to attack the rim. Way too many times he is tentative and does not attack the rim! That's where he would be most effective. Besides that, he should be effective attacking the glass, but only five offensive rebounds all year doesn't do it.

Defensively, that athleticism helps in the biggest way as a weakside defender. He had a great block against Clemson or Pittsburgh coming across from the opposite side to protect the rim. He needs to be better positioned overall though.

Honestly, I think it's clear why John Bol Ajak has played over Benny. Ajak has been more active and better positioned on defense. And since Benny hasn't added anything offensively, you don't lose anything on that end with Ajak in over Benny. Not saying I agree with it, but Jim has played guys who have shown him more over the guy that has the bigger potential.

Benny can be a great player. I think if he sticks around, he will have that big jump from freshman to sophomore year that many of our players throughout the years have had.

But besides being a five-star recruit, I just haven't seen anything in games that screams "this guy deserves to play more."

From a development and CONFIDENCE standpoint, I would like to see him get more playing time, and now with this season essentially lost except for a miracle conference tournament run, maybe he will get more time. But I just want to see some improvement in these categories for him to DESERVE that playing time. He just needs more work and more time to develop, and that development will come outside of games, not by getting increased playing time.
Yah...SU is much better off playing an Ivy League wannabe and a guy that Villanova gladly let go.

I can't believe this is even a discussion. The kid is tabled and basically being embarrassed by JB after he has been nothing but mature in the media about everything and not received the same in return.

The reason Benny should play more? Because he can do things that no other forward on the team can do.

We have guys that will shoot. No deficit there. Buddy is taking at least 16 FGA/game now and will be the focus.

We start no PG. Our actual PG is hurt.

Our defense is horrific at every spot except the 5 and even then, it's an unfair burden on Jesse.

Benny, on D, can cover more ground and contest more shots and has the ability to meet people at the rim. On offense, he gives us what we do not have: a wing that can play above the rim. Should he be taking a bunch of jumpers? Nah, not yet. In certain instances, sure.

This kid should be getting offensive boards, put backs, oops, lobs and second chance points.

On D, he can at least physically be able to get to spots where others can't.

We are 9-11. Our defense is atrocious. Our offense is one-dimensional and not changing.

We just lost to an AWFUL Pitt team.

If you don't want Benny to get 35 mpg, totally understand it. Kids still needs to work on things.

For Jimmy to get the leash he has and Benny to get embarrassed by JB at the end of the game where we are getting beat down by a truly terrible team, yeah, that's wrong.

Separately, this is only dealing with this year. This does not take into account recruiting, teeing Benny up for growth for next year and getting him reps with Joe and Jesse who, even though it is now unlikely, could be his teammates next year.

Jimmy could not even compete for some rebounds last night. Literally. That just can't happen at this level. Jimmy cannot play defense at this level. I think the kid tries, but he just can't functionally do everything that is needed.

And, when you combine Jimmy with the other starters, it's a recipe for a disaster, which we are watching.

Malachi was far and away better than most other freshmen we've had here, and he did it right from the start. He scored double figures in each of first six games, 15 of his first 18 games, and scored double figures in 31 of 37 games. Malachi's skill set was evident from the start. He was head and shoulders above Benny and nearly every other freshman we've had here. That's not even a knock on Benny. Malachi was just a star from the start.
That's mostly revisionist history based on what he did in the tourney. Malachi shot 37% from the field on 11 shots per game, that's not good and is actually pretty bad. Grabbed 4 boards and had a matching 2 assists/2 turnovers per game. If Benny received the same 34mpg, I'm willing to wager almost anything that he could match everything except the 35% from downtown.

Not really. What has Jimmy shown that he deserves to even be on the team? Joe deserves to be the starting PG? We're 9-11. No one deserves anything.
Jimmy is in his 6th year. Joe 3rd Cole 3rd . The upside of those three players are limited. Benny should be playing a minimum of 12 a game. More like 15. Jimmy and Cole can each play 5-8 less and we have a better team.

BTW, this is likely all moot.

JB will prob still do the same thing with Benny the rest of the year. Either not play him or play him at the end of games for some craven reason. Or maybe in spot minutes, I dunno. But if he's rolling with JBA instead of Benny while Jimmy can barely stay upright, he's toast here.

And then Benny will leave.

We'll get a few folks that say "well he underperformed as a five star" and "he was terrible in the minutes he got" and we'll have another down year where we play 6.5 guys or whatever.

Then people will chart his game to game performance wherever he lands and if he has one game where he gets six points and one board, they'll say "SEE - JB WAS RIGHT", all the while we're sitting at like .500 and hoping to beat some middle of the pack ACC team.

It matters because it shows you the difference between what Benny could do a year ago and how he is playing now. And, then you can understand what has changed from them to now. The college game is faster, but that doesn't make his shot flatter. It doesn't put a hitch in his shot. It doesn't make him lose the ball in inexplicable ways (Joe, Jimmy and Cole all have the same issue). Anyway, the bottom line is, Benny earned a 5 star ranking because he is extremely athletic, he could score at all levels. His turnaround was unguardable. He had three point range with a great stroke. He could handle the ball very well for a forward. He is extremely intelligent and coachable. The issue is how he has been handled. If he started from day one I am guessing we would be seeing much more of the player we all expected. But, he has been jerked around and it has messed with his head. You can tell that when he gets on the court, he is thinking his way through the game. Malachi is a talented player. Benny is even more talented. Their opportunity was different. Their personalities are different. I just hope Benny gets pissed off and starts acting like the alpha he should be.
I actually agree with you that he lacks confidence. He's tentative. I've said that. Watching back some early games, it was the same way. It's not like all of a sudden he's playing less and now lacks the confidence. The college game is completely different than high school. The transition from high school to college is harder for forwards and centers than it is for guards. A lot of times, an athletic forward will look amazing in high school. Sometimes it translates to college, other times it doesn't because there are other big, strong, athletic players. Defense is different. Shooting form shouldn't change because you'd think a guy who could shoot in high school can shoot in college, but ask Joe Girard how that has worked out. You just play against more physical, better defenders. Plenty of five-star players struggle as freshmen. Let's see what he does next year with some more development.

BTW, this is likely all moot.

JB will prob still do the same thing with Benny the rest of the year. Either not play him or play him at the end of games for some craven reason. Or maybe in spot minutes, I dunno. But if he's rolling with JBA instead of Benny while Jimmy can barely stay upright, he's toast here.

And then Benny will leave.

We'll get a few folks that say "well he underperformed as a five star" and "he was terrible in the minutes he got" and we'll have another down year where we play 6.5 guys or whatever.

Then people will chart his game to game performance wherever he lands and if he has one game where he gets six points and one board, they'll say "SEE - JB WAS RIGHT", all the while we're sitting at like .500 and hoping to beat some middle of the pack ACC team.
Add in a post season interview where JB says Jimmy was better than Benny on defense and cites his steals per game.

I actually agree with you that he lacks confidence. He's tentative. I've said that. Watching back some early games, it was the same way. It's not like all of a sudden he's playing less and now lacks the confidence. The college game is completely different than high school. The transition from high school to college is harder for forwards and centers than it is for guards. A lot of times, an athletic forward will look amazing in high school. Sometimes it translates to college, other times it doesn't because there are other big, strong, athletic players. Defense is different. Shooting form shouldn't change because you'd think a guy who could shoot in high school can shoot in college, but ask Joe Girard how that has worked out. You just play against more physical, better defenders. Plenty of five-star players struggle as freshmen. Let's see what he does next year with some more development.
When a hitch develops or a shot flattens out when previously neither of those things existed, it is a clear indication that he is overthinking the shot. Any shooter knows this. Now, one could debate the cause of the issue. In my opinion, he has been mishandled. A coach's job is to get his players to reach their potential. Maybe JB is trying to toughen up Benny to prepare him for the future. But, how he has been handled doesn't make any sense to me. If JB is here next year, I hope Benny leaves, because he doesn't deserve to be handled the way he has this year.

That's mostly revisionist history based on what he did in the tourney. Malachi shot 37% from the field on 11 shots per game, that's not good and is actually pretty bad. Grabbed 4 boards and had a matching 2 assists/2 turnovers per game. If Benny received the same 34mpg, I'm willing to wager almost anything that he could match everything except the 35% from downtown.
As others have also pointed out, it's really not if you look at the stats from the beginning of the season, Battle for Atlantis, etc., and just watch the type of player he was. His talent was different than most.

I just don't understand how people can look at Malachi and then look at Benny and say, given the same opportunity, Benny would be just as good.

It's kind of what I was asking when I started this thread: What has Benny done to make you think he would be that productive?

Should he play more to get some game experience and help the development? Sure. But he has struggled in the time he has gotten, and just playing more isn't going to magically make him better.

When a hitch develops or a shot flattens out when previously neither of those things existed, it is a clear indication that he is overthinking the shot. Any shooter knows this. Now, one could debate the cause of the issue. In my opinion, he has been mishandled. A coach's job is to get his players to reach their potential. Maybe JB is trying to toughen up Benny to prepare him for the future. But, how he has been handled doesn't make any sense to me. If JB is here next year, I hope Benny leaves, because he doesn't deserve to be handled the way he has this year.
Fair enough. We could debate reasons or his skill set all day long. I hope he stays and lets this staff develop him, but time will tell. I think more guys have worked out by staying and working with the staff than leaving. Interested to see how Guerrier's season finishes at Oregon when he was on his way to being an NBA pick here. In fact, Guerrier is averaging less minutes and points by a lot at Oregon than here. Something Benny should consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom