What I expect at this point… | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

Appreciate the info. I would literally trade all the players you listed to have Judah retained.
Same, and the Judah parts not inside info at all. Id be absolutely ecstatic if he came back.

He’s a kid you can build around if you have an energetic staff ready to find the pieces.

Anything can happen

We will benefit in recruiting based on the fact that Red will actively travel to the recruits. He will be there in person to show his interest. That means the world to these kids if you ever listen to their interviews.

Nobody has brought it up but I think having some diversity at HC is amazing. I think it’s great for our football team as well.

Would love that but I also know for a fact that he is 100% done coaching. He's enjoying the semi-retired life and the consultant/advisor job that he has with the Pistons is perfect for the work/life balance he's looking for. He's loving being able to spend more time with his family and I doubt he's going to give that up at this stage of his life - at Syracuse or elsewhere.

and who can blame him!

Same, and the Judah parts not inside info at all. Id be absolutely ecstatic if he came back.

He’s a kid you can build around if you have an energetic staff ready to find the pieces.

Anything can happen
Are you saying it's pretty well known among those connected to the program that Judah's gone?

Anything can happen

100%

Plus he'll attract other players. Want to come play with an NBA guard? Sign here.

We will benefit in recruiting based on the fact that Red will actively travel to the recruits. He will be there in person to show his interest. That means the world to these kids if you ever listen to their interviews.

Nobody has brought it up but I think having some diversity at HC is amazing. I think it’s great for our football team as well.
Couldn't agree more.

So the working theory is that as soon as Hop left JB stopped trying to recruit.
I think JB started slowing down on recruiting well before that, at least as he was involved with USA basketball.

Hop handled it pretty well, especially when it was believed he was next up, but it dried up when he left.

I think it dried up due to a few things, that didn't all necessarily happen at exactly the same time, but did overlap.

1, JB tried building Gerry up and slotted him into the lead recruiter role. The early results there weren't great. In hindsight that may have been too much to put on him at that time.

2, the sanctions definitely had an impact, and because of those we needed a HC that was more engaged in recruiting, not less.

3, dealing with transition from Big East and our standing and normal recruiting territories there to the new realities of the ACC.

4, Father Time looming over JB's eventual career end and the uncertainty that may have put into some recruits.

5, negative recruiting re: the zone. Always there, but exacerbated by everything else.

6, there likely was a Buddy factor. Fantastic that he developed as much as he did, but we were probably fighting a perception of favoritism. Note that I'm not making any claim on that, just acknowledging that it wouldn't be surprising if that was another negative recruiting angle.

7, the portal giveth and the portal taketh away.

For those decrying the lack of a “national search” keep in mind that the portal opens a week from today. What would be irresponsible is not having a coach in place on that date.

Personally I like the continuity of an internal hire and am sure Wildhack is prepared for this and has had exploratory conversations within his network for at least the last couple of years.

JB announces RETIREMENT before the portal opens. (This is the only thing I really feel solid about).

Red is quickly named successor. (Trending in this direction)

The rest is purely my speculation.

Red tries to retain as many players as possible and quickly hits the portal with a “not an exclusive zone team anymore” pitch. Targeting veteran physical players who will fill a role up front…and maybe adding a shooter depending on Joe

I think Bell and Benny are likely hitting the portal.

GMAC lands a gig elsewhere.

Allen is retained.

Red hires an outside the family coach to help with recruiting.

Red adds a bench coach. (Seth?!?!)

Got the feeling from Gerry's speech that it seemed like a Thank You to the 315 prior to an exit. Makes sense you think he will not be here next year.

For those close to the program. Would Josh Pace ever make a switch to the mens' game? As far as X's and O's I think the womens' game runs more sets due to necessity when compared to the men.

For those decrying the lack of a “national search” keep in mind that the portal opens a week from today. What would be irresponsible is not having a coach in place on that date.

Personally I like the continuity of an internal hire and am sure Wildhack is prepared for this and has had exploratory conversations within his network for at least the last couple of years.

I'd sacrifice next year for a national search. But I see your point of view as well.

Got the feeling from Gerry's speech that it seemed like a Thank You to the 315 prior to an exit. Makes sense you think he will not be here next year.

For those close to the program. Would Josh Pace ever make a switch to the mens' game? As far as X's and O's I think the womens' game runs more sets due to necessity when compared to the men.

He's 10-16 this year at a JUCO. Other than wearing an Orange jersey 20 years ago, what qualifies him for the promotion?

If we are going to do a real national search and hire the best person the country for the job then I would expect a down year to go along with that. Comes with the transition.

Continuity hire only works when there is something good already going and that hire just needs to keep the wheels turning to maintain success. One of the reasons I was against an internal hire is because we are long pass that process.

I'd sacrifice next year for a national search. But I see your point of view as well.
The general consensus on the board is that a hoops program can be turned around in one year... in fact I believe there is a thread on page one asserting how. If that's the case what harm is there in letting Red get a shot? If he bombs out the next coach can turn it around in a year right?

The positive is if it works out Red turning around Syracuse is the story of the season... get ready for a lot of "sleeping giant awakens" stories.

I can't wait to see what happens in recruiting over the next several months between our favorite NIL sponsor and a new energy from coaches.

The recruiting misses also have no bearing on the lack of development from far too many players in recent history. The assistants can't hide behind JB for that, since they do so much of the day-to-day teaching.
Yeah, but talent doesn’t need to be developed. Look at the guys that left the program how are doing at other schools

I wonder if he'd get us back into NYC on a larger scale.

The general consensus on the board is that a hoops program can be turned around in one year... in fact I believe there is a thread on page one asserting how. If that's the case what harm is there in letting Red get a shot? If he bombs out the next coach can turn it around in a year right?

The positive is if it works out Red turning our Syracuse is the story of the season... get ready for a lot of "sleeping giant awakens"

I can't wait to see what happens in recruiting over the next several months between our favorite NIL sponsor and a new energy from coaches.

My fear with an alum is that he becomes just as hard to fire as JB was. If we continue with the mediocrity I can see arguments of "oh, we let JB coach for 9 years with mediocre regular seasons before he was pushed out, we can't just fire Red after 3 years."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom