What I expect at this point… | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

This I disagree with. If you have a coach that you believe in, you have to give them 5. Even with the portal it takes a lot of time to instill your "system" and you have to give them a full recruiting cycle.
5 years in hoops? That's wayyy more time than is necessary if a coach isn't seeing success.

Hopkins started his UW career with back-to-back 20 win seasons, so obviously he's been given time to right the ship after it took on water in year 3.

But if a new coach of SU started, say, 14-17, 16-15 and 16-15? No reason to keep him around.

5 years in hoops? That's wayyy more time than is necessary if a coach isn't seeing success.

Hopkins started his UW career with back-to-back 20 win seasons, so obviously he's been given time to right the ship after it took on water in year 3.

But if a new coach of SU started, say, 14-17, 16-15 and 16-15? No reason to keep him around.

That goes for any coach not just Red or an internal hire. If we hired Sean Miller and that is how we started off? He better have the #1 recruiting class in the nation coming in for the 4th year or its curtains.

Don't disagree at all on making the calls. Completely understand why the calls may be short.

I know one thing. I'm not selling anything to someone I'm too afraid to call.

I'm not saying you don't try. I'm saying why most are long shots. Let's just be clear on that. Bayside already added color on SEC money. Stability matters because no one truly knows the time table. It does matter for hoops given if you land poorly because of football, you will struggle to compete with the money those super conferences can pull in.

You think I don't know most are longshots or the landscape or the environment? This is why I said I don't want to hear all the reasons 'why not'.

I guess we should look at the Colgate guy then but you can either stand on the sideline or get in the game.

I'm not challenging your assessment.

I want to know what is a modern defensive strategy?

How would you describe that?

We did this in separate threads. You can't run a zone 75 pct of the time for starters. We are antiquated in that philosophy. The data and articles I shared separately cover that. Thus you need to be able to mix up your defenses in a game and coach to that effect. Using a combination of mtm with press zone, or using a zone base with press and mtm mixed in.. it's a base defense while having diversity in your game plan.

In addition- teaching and deploying what kids play at the AAU levels which is predominately mtm and press. Bringing kids in to run a defense they haven't played a lot and then won't much at the next level is inefficient in today's game. That doesn't mean a zone base can't work- it just can't be 75 pct of the time- especially with the game changing.

You want a style attractive to recruits, efficient to install and on par with taking things away based on how other teams want to play. The entire country loves to take 3s. Especially open 3s where a shooter can set their feet, catch and shoot and doesn't not always need a screen or a dribble to do so. Zone doesn't do a great job taking that away. It takes away the drive and kick and the post up and gives up open 3s to lower pct shooters, problem is most of those guys shoot open 3s well in today's game.

That said it still can work when used as a change of pace or when used as a baseline with pressure or mtm being more than 25 pct+ of possessions.

You think I don't know most are longshots or the landscape or the environment? This is why I said I don't want to hear all the reasons 'why not'.

I guess we should look at the Colgate guy then but you can either stand on the sideline or get in the game.

If you just want a fight or to tell me what to post then look elsewhere. You are playing the all cards on the table approach. There is no counter to that other than why not. Hence sure call everyone- go for it. Happy?

Due diligence is rarely 75 pct cold calling.

We did this in separate threads. You can't run a zone 75 pct of the time for starters. We are antiquated in that philosophy. The data and articles I shared separately cover that. Thus you need to be able to mix up your defenses in a game and coach to that effect. Using a combination of mtm with press zone, or using a zone base with press and mtm mixed in.. it's a base defense while having diversity in your game plan.

In addition- teaching and deploying what kids play at the AAU levels which is predominately mtm and press. Bringing kids in to run a defense they haven't played a lot and then won't much at the next level is inefficient in today's game. That doesn't mean a zone base can't work- it just can't be 75 pct of the time- especially with the game changing.

You want a style attractive to recruits, efficient to install and on par with taking things away based on how other teams want to play. The entire country loves to take 3s. Especially open 3s where a shooter can set their feet, catch and shoot and doesn't not always need a screen or a dribble to do so. Zone doesn't do a great job taking that away. It takes away the drive and kick and the post up and gives up open 3s to lower pct shooters, problem is most of those guys shoot open 3s well in today's game.

That said it still can work when used as a change of pace or when used as a baseline with pressure or mtm being more than 25 pct+ of possessions.
Interestingly enough, Wake Forest was running screens against the zone on Saturday.

Interestingly enough, Wake Forest was running screens against the zone on Saturday.

All teams do actually that I recall. They screen the top and many this year are screening on the corner 3 to slow down the closeout. It's not a guy being chased and coming free vs the zone as much as more of screening the closeout/contest.

This has been posted by many, including by me a few day ago. Jerami Grant (he’s pretty darn good!), McCullough, Tyler Ennis, Oshae, Marek, Quincy, Elijah Hughes, Frank Howard, Thompson, and more. Oh and Judah Mintz.

Jalen Carey was a top 50 kid who flamed out but he was highly rated. Same with Benny. Not all recruits pan out.
Forgot about Andrew White and Gbinije too. He recruited both of them.

He also coached and mentored forwards like CJ Fair, Tyler Lydon, Southerland, etc.

From his official bio:
While at Syracuse he has tutored eventual NBA draft picks Jerami Grant, Tyler Lydon and Chris McCullough. Grant has enjoyed NBA success while Lydon, McCullough and additional Autry protégés C.J. Fair, Tyler Roberson and Andrew White have excelled in the NBA G-League.

Army job just opened up. Any chance Gerry lands there if his hope is to remain in the area? Feels like this is a good spot for someone to try some stuff

I may be in the minority here, but I would really rather not see a current bench coach (sounding like Red, but I’ll add GMac and Griffin as well) be the next HC.

I understand why Duke and UNC promoted a bench coach but I honestly don’t know why would take that same path. Duke and UNC had had positive momentum going forward the past 5+ years (wins, tournament appearances/wins, recruiting). Outside of a Sweet 16 run a few years and a new NIL sponsor for getting recruits, what has been positive about SU basketball in that same time frame?

I’m sure Red is a great guy and is obviously a good coach, or else he wouldn’t be the AHC for a program like Syracuse. I just would love to have someone not affiliated with the program currently hired to inject something new, because what I’ve seen the past 5 years is stale.

If it is to be Red (which people with much more wherewithal than me think is going to happen), I just hope we run man to man

All teams do actually that I recall. They screen the top and many this year are screening on the corner 3 to slow down the closeout. It's not a guy being chased and coming free vs the zone as much as more of screening the closeout/contest.

What Bob Knight did for years. Fundamental motion offense - against man and zone.

After that circus ending of the presser how does that make Red (assumed successor) feel. Your former coach, mentor and friend says he doesn't want to stop coaching and now you have the job because your employer fired the man that brought you to Syracuse 2 different times in your career.

After that circus ending of the presser how does that make Red (assumed successor) feel. Your former coach, mentor and friend says he doesn't want to stop coaching and now you have the job because your employer fired the man that brought you to Syracuse 2 different times in your career.
I hope Red leaning on what he witnessed with Hop says "thanks old man, don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out."

Red has his own goals and aspirations. He loves this university regardless of what happens with Jim Boeheim. He also has a clear shot at a top 25 job in the country. This is only shot at a top 25 job right now. If he leaves Syracuse he will have to prove himself at a level below first before a P5 school gives him a shot.

I am pretty sure Red will deal with any drama over the next few weeks if he means he gets the job.

I’d wager some big bucks it won’t be Gerry

bucknell.JPG

I don't think the skepticism is disrespectful of our assistant coaches. We have struggled as a program in a relative sense to the benchmark established on really all fronts. We've known them as players and people when they've been in the public eye. As coaches we don't know them that well other than the fact they haven't ran their own program yet. Given we are at a point of transition in the game itself let alone as a program adds more mystery and drama to the whole thing. So, yeah I think the concern is fair. I also think the perception of who can and would want to make a national short list is inflated an unrealistic to an extent but still some folks should get a look hands down.

Given the above here is where I'm at with Red after reading everything so far.

If he can bring back and bring in the talent, including being 100 pct committed to the portal and if he is also extremely well liked by the kids, then he has a huge part of being successful in today's environment checked off. The portal is key and being a players centric coach, given the preferences of today's youth is also key.

The next part is X's and O's. This is where others mentioning a bench coach is key. Deploy a modern defensive strategy, use what has been learned offensively with a player based approach. Finally, look at what works in terms of the modern lineup and position less hoops. This paragraph of needs is the part that likely takes the longest but if Red has the former paragraph down- he has a great foundation.

The rest is just like the weather- going to have to see what the sky looks like when it gets here.
I’m in the same place as to how I view Red and the future with him. I think Wildhack is valuing continuity and Red’s ability to recruit and maintain some pieces from the current roster. Red must have sold him on his vision and how and what he’d change from JB. He could’ve take a run at Miller or Smart or some other big name, but probably figures both might be tough after the really successful seasons they’ve had and others are just as risky as Red.

Last edited:
Folks no sense in howling at the moon about this. Agree or disagree with Red, he will seemingly be the new HC. Time to give the man a chance to coach and manage the roster. Everyone will be arm chair quarterbacking the departures, portal grabs, AAU season, etc to see how Red is navigating. At this point buckle up and enjoy the ride. Likely for the first time in what 45 years we will have a new coach and personality running the show. I give credit to JB for overall a great run and some awesome memories of SU greats and going to games with my dad and son. I look forward to new change and future greats and new memories to be made.
Wish I could give this multiple likes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom