What I still don't understand | Syracusefan.com

What I still don't understand

sufan

Scout Team
As I understand it, Doug came to SU as a "dream job":

a chance to work with young student athletes stressing their personal development as well as football skills and a desire to rebuild the football program that was so important to him on a personal level and in terms of his career.

It was said at the time he was well regarded and a future short list candidate for an NFL head coaching position.

He came with a detailed plan and a recognition a lot needed to be done, from a recruiting and coaching and player development perspective.

My impression is that a number of basic and important facility improvements have been made during this period.

So after working like a dog these last 4 years, assembling his staff, reestablishing contacts among high school coaches, demonstrating success in no uncertain terms this year with the bowl win against WVU and the late seasons wins against Big East teams, attracting a number of promising recruits, combined with the huge move to the ACC this July, it would seem that coach DM and staff and DG have created the setting for greater fan interest, greater attendance, larger donations and continued improvements to support the program.

What I still don't understand is why Doug would not want to put in another 2 years to secure the advances he has worked so hard to make and allow time for the momentum to create the donations and improved attendance he no doubt wants.

Perhaps the most surprising part of all this is the feeling that if Doug takes another position and likely pulls key staff members with him, he will be undoing all he has worked for these last few years and putting the program back in jeoparty.

Still trying to understand the motives at play.

If he goes, his motive will be 2.5 million dollars.

a chance to work with young student athletes stressing their personal development as well as football skills and a desire to rebuild the football program that was so important to him on a personal level and in terms of his career.

It was said at the time he was well regarded and a future short list candidate for an NFL head coaching position.

He came with a detailed plan and a recognition a lot needed to be done, from a recruiting and coaching and player development perspective.

My impression is that a number of basic and important facility improvements have been made during this period.

So after working like a dog these last 4 years, assembling his staff, reestablishing contacts among high school coaches, demonstrating success in no uncertain terms this year with the bowl win against WVU and the late seasons wins against Big East teams, attracting a number of promising recruits, combined with the huge move to the ACC this July, it would seem that coach DM and staff and DG have created the setting for greater fan interest, greater attendance, larger donations and continued improvements to support the program.

What I still don't understand is why Doug would not want to put in another 2 years to secure the advances he has worked so hard to make and allow time for the momentum to create the donations and improved attendance he no doubt wants.

Perhaps the most surprising part of all this is the feeling that if Doug takes another position and likely pulls key staff members with him, he will be undoing all he has worked for these last few years and putting the program back in jeoparty.

gonna steal the thoughts from a couple friends.....which makes sense cuz as you put it here, none of THIS makes sense.

Maybe some intrafamily concerns with the wants of moving elsewhere, and add to that maybe a final straw scenario with him and the latest off the fields shennanigans/issue currently going on bandied about here a while back.

Maybe the grind of coaching college is more than he bargained for? In the NFL, you just have to coach. In college, there is a whole lot more involved in being a coach (recruiting, academics, babysitting, etc). Maybe the reality of the "Dream Job" wasn't all that attractive.

I'm not saying this is the case with HCDM, but I can totally understand if it is.

You can't parse that stuff now. Sometimes your dream job (or dream girl, or dream house) isn't exactly what you imagined. I can honestly tell you what my dream job is but I have no clue what the internal workings are until I'm there. He didn't pull a Petrino or Kiffin and quit or duck out at the first opportunity. He's put four really hard years in and achieved a whole lot of what he set out to do and what we wanted out of him. If something out there is more intriguging, go for it. SU needs to be dedicated to FB in a sufficient manner regardless of who our coach is.

People are hanging on the "dream job" quote but I'll never hold that against him.

You can't parse that stuff now. Sometimes your dream job (or dream girl, or dream house) isn't exactly what you imagined. I can honestly tell you what my dream job is but I have no clue what the internal workings are until I'm there. He didn't pull a Petrino or Kiffin and quit or duck out at the first opportunity. He's put four really hard years in and achieved a whole lot of what he set out to do and what we wanted out of him. If something out there is more intriguging, go for it. SU needs to be dedicated to FB in a sufficient manner regardless of who our coach is.

People are hanging on the "dream job" quote but I'll never hold that against him.

The issue is he's on the threshold of achieving his goals for the program after 4 years of extreme effort: why not see this thru for another 2 years instead of putting all his hard work in jeoparty.

The only conclusion that makes sense to me is that HCDM is putting pressure on the university to push the improvements and increase the staffs pay. If he actually leaves in the face of adversity then he is letting a lot of people down who believed what he has been preaching. He's been telling the players to fight through adversity, find a way to win, but he's going to take his ball and leave? I believe in Doug. I think he'll be back.

The only conclusion that makes sense to me is that HCDM is putting pressure on the university to push the improvements and increase the staffs pay. If he actually leaves in the face of adversity then he is letting a lot of people down who believed what he has been preaching. He's been telling the players to fight through adversity, find a way to win, but he's going to take his ball and leave. I believe in Doug. I think he'll be back.

I agree in that I believe he will be back (whether it's by choice or it's because he doesn't actually get an offer) but regardless, he's not to take any blame if he leaves. Sure, he teaches to fight through adversity but it appears that he's fought through enough adversity from the side of the BoT. I can't blame him for leaving because he didn't get the support he needed to succeed. I would tell players to leave if the players themselves didn't get the support from coaches to make them succeed. It's the circle of life.

Maybe the grind of coaching college is more than he bargained for? In the NFL, you just have to coach. In college, there is a whole lot more involved in being a coach (recruiting, academics, babysitting, etc).
is.

I don't buy this argument. He has had a lot of experience coaching in college. He knew how challenging and stressful it is.

I don't buy this argument. He has had a lot of experience coaching in college. He knew how challenging and stressful it is.
GA and positional coaching spots when you don't have children are very different from head coach positions when you do.

GA and positional coaching spots when you don't have children are very different from head coach positions when you do.

Yep. College coaching is a grind. It's constant, and every minute you spend in the living room of some 17 year old recruit is 10 minutes you don't spend with your kid, once you figure in the travel time, etc. I don't really pay much attention to the NFL, but I have friends who are close with college coaches, and I even know a few college coaches at lower levels. Hell, I wouldn't want to put in the hours and take the time away from my family that even mediocre college coaches do.

There could be any number of factors at play here, and it wouldn't surprise me if this is one of them.

Yep. College coaching is a grind. It's constant, and every minute you spend in the living room of some 17 year old recruit is 10 minutes you don't spend with your kid, once you figure in the travel time, etc. I don't really pay much attention to the NFL, but I have friends who are close with college coaches, and I even know a few college coaches at lower levels. Hell, I wouldn't want to put in the hours and take the time away from my family that even mediocre college coaches do.

There could be any number of factors at play here, and it wouldn't surprise me if this is one of them.

NFL HC isn't any better time wise... yes, you don't have the recruiting aspects but from all I've read and seen in hard knocks, etc. it's brutal 16-20 hr. days 7 days a week...

NFL HC isn't any better time wise... yes, you don't have the recruiting aspects but from all I've read and seen in hard knocks, etc. it's brutal 16-20 hr. days 7 days a week...

Yep. And for a lot less money and glory than your employees get, too. Doesn't seem that great to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom