What if the B1G goes for UMASS? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What if the B1G goes for UMASS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rice has always played D1 football and were in the SWC and were a power at one time.

Rice's last outright SWC title was 1957 and their last New Year's Day bowl appearance was 1961.

When the SWC disbanded, Rice wasn't even considered for membership in the Big XII.

UMass couldn't compete in the MAC.

Stop it.

Syracuse will win another football national championship before the Big 10 adds UMass.
Syracuse could have scheduled them, but instead Rutgers and Northwestern did. They should have been an easy w, right.

Syracuse could have scheduled them, but instead Rutgers and Northwestern did. They should have been an easy w, right.
UMass is an independent. They need games and take paycheck games.

Those Big Ten bought home games from UMass.

Syracuse obviously didn't try to do it.

We should schedule them as UMass is the tomato can we need to schedule more in the nonconference.

Rice's last outright SWC title was 1957 and their last New Year's Day bowl appearance was 1961.

When the SWC disbanded, Rice wasn't even considered for membership in the Big XII.
Rice is a small elite private school in the state of Texas which has many powerful D1 programs. UMASS is a state flagship school in New England which has zero D1 programs.

BC, is going no where.

especially, if ND comes onboard.

But why? What do they bring to the table? Football and hoops are substandard. Boston and the rest of New England don't care about BC sports. ND would make up for the fake loss of the Boston market. Notre Dame cares more about its rivalries with USC, Stanford, Navy, much more so than BC I think.

Rice is a small elite private school in the state of Texas which has many powerful D1 programs. UMASS is a state flagship school in New England which has zero D1 programs.

If I'm BC and UConn, I'm either laughing or crying right now.

But why? What do they bring to the table? Football and hoops are substandard. Boston and the rest of New England don't care about BC sports. ND would make up for the fake loss of the Boston market. Notre Dame cares more about its rivalries with USC, Stanford, Navy, much more so than BC I think.
while Boston is a 'Pro Sports Minded Town', just like the rest of the Northeast big City's are, its still a great point on the map for a flag to put in.

and the Irish, want to play in Boston.

and BC, despite its Win/Loss flaws, can sometimes garner enough interest to matter.

and that's all that's necessary.

important school to the ACC.

Boston and the state of MA doesn't care about college football.

WEEI and Sports Hub don't even mention it when BC is good.

UMass gets ridiculed by the Boston media for the losses Monetarily the program build up.

The only college sport that matters in Boston is the Bean Pot hockey tournament.

College hoops don't matter either.

The most popular college football team in MA and RI is Notre Dame.

ND Games are on the Sports Hub every week.

BC gets its alums but unlike Syracuse the locals don't have a pride in BC.
There like 30 colleges around Boston thus BC doesn't matter unless they play at Fenway or have ND at home.

UMass has the popularity of LeMoyne in Boston.

Outside of Camby/Refuse to lose its been a non player.

The only thing more perplexing than you even making this thread, is your continued defense of it.
I just sense something is up with UMASS. I don't think I'm alone in thinking Syracuse is an outpost in the ACC. A B1G takeover of New England media would make it more so. The core ACC teams have all their rivals within a short drive, seems nice to be them.

I just sense something is up with UMASS. I don't think I'm alone in thinking Syracuse is an outpost in the ACC. A B1G takeover of New England media would make it more so. The core ACC teams have all their rivals within a short drive, seems nice to be them.
If the Big Ten wanted New England they take UConn.

Which has a national basketball program, women basketball power, another hockey team for their conference and football to be a tomato can for the Big Ten powers.

If the Big Ten wanted New England they take UConn.

Which has a national basketball program, women basketball power, another hockey team for their conference and football to be a tomato can for the Big Ten powers.
It is largely about the number of eyeballs which can be monetized. The ACC also needs another lax program for the automatic bid. Some team is going to be left out because of that and I can just see the Orange getting thrown under the bus.

It is largely about the number of eyeballs which can be monetized. The ACC also needs another lax program for the automatic bid. Some team is going to be left out because of that and I can just see the Orange getting thrown under the bus.
The ACC MLax regular season champion is not going to be excluded from the NCAA Tournament unless their at least 3 ACC wins are their only wins in toto. It's extremely doubtful that a #2 or #3 seed SU (UVa, dook, UNC-CHEAT, or ND, for that matter) is going to get bumped from the NCAAs because the #4 seed wins the ACC tournament. The ACC's goal each year is to get 5 teams in and only 4 play for the conference championship, which would be the AQ spot. Whoever is #5 is on thin ice to begin with and having/not having an AQ makes no differences to their chances of getting a bid.

North Carolina won the ACC this year at 8-7 without an automatic bid and made the tournament.

Without the automatic bid 2 to 3 ACC teams will be top 10 programs every year so if the fourth place team beats two top 10 teams they're going to make the tournament if they're eligible nine out of 10 times.

The ACC MLax regular season champion is not going to be excluded from the NCAA Tournament unless their at least 3 ACC wins are their only wins in toto. It's extremely doubtful that a #2 or #3 seed SU (UVa, dook, UNC-CHEAT, or ND, for that matter) is going to get bumped from the NCAAs because the #4 seed wins the ACC tournament. The ACC's goal each year is to get 5 teams in and only 4 play for the conference championship, which would be the AQ spot. Whoever is #5 is on thin ice to begin with and having/not having an AQ makes no differences to their chances of getting a bid.
These selections are highly political. The committees rational for excluding a team is that the league doesn't have six teams for an AQ. If Hofstra or Army had won 1 more game , they could have taken an at large, and since all the at large came from ACC/B1G/Denver, someboby would get left out.

This is as bad as the ECU purple Hippo guy...lol
Worse.
you guys are nuts, that guy was great...

3d1b5-purple_hippo_small.gif

I see that UMASS has scheduled Rutgers and Northwestern for 2019. Swofford needs to be proactive to stop them from lopping off New England.
NE doesn't care about college sports, except the bean pot.

I'm stunned this discussion has continued for over 40 posts---and I just added to it
New round of Realignment Risk is going to be starting again very soon.

I do think UMass is going to be a much improved program this year and onward. But the Big 10? Um, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom