What if the B1G goes for UMASS? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What if the B1G goes for UMASS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New round of Realignment Risk is going to be starting again very soon.

If it does and it involves UMass in a significant way, I'll declare you the King of Realignment.

If it does and it involves UMass in a significant way, I'll declare you the King of Realignment.
That sounds like a great show for ESPN. I'm going to save the ACC and ESPN at the same time.I would definitely use King of Realignment as my permanent profile.

New round of Realignment Risk is going to be starting again very soon.

Oklahoma to the B1G is imminent, apparently as long as UMass comes with them...
If another Realignment Round starts, I'd pay good money to see CousCuse and the Dude of WV go at it in a steel cage match!!!!!

Realignment is not happening unless Oklahoma goes West.
The Big Ten, ACC, SEC all have long contracts.

The Big XII is dying but as long as Texas gets its Longhorn Network money the Big XII will survive.

Realignment is all about money and UMass brings no $$$.

The only conference I see expanding is the PAC-12 because they need more markets for their network and they will try to vulture Oklahoma/Texas and their little brothers out West.

UMASS is a top 30 flagship university in a state that has lots of cable boxes. They have D1 lax as well. I don't think it's a crazy idea, ( Though to be fair to my critics, I do come up with some "crazy" ideas). They can schedule games in Foxboro, which would appeal to many alums from the B1G. Oklahoma in the west and UMASS in the east would give them a balanced expansion.
I would agree that UMASS is one of the top 30 universities...in Massachussetts.

The only thing more perplexing than you even making this thread, is your continued defense of it.

Have you seen most of the threads or posts coming from this cat?

I just sense something is up with UMASS. I don't think I'm alone in thinking Syracuse is an outpost in the ACC. A B1G takeover of New England media would make it more so. The core ACC teams have all their rivals within a short drive, seems nice to be them.
I agree...but you would take UConn over UMass six ways from Sunday.

But the money has to be there and the FSU/Clemson duo has to say okay.

There is no college money to be made in Massachusetts.

The state and region goes as follows
Patriots, Patriots, Patriots, Patriots then Red Sox, Bruins/Celtics.

College sports don't matter one iota in Massachusetts.

Couscuse call into Felger and Mazz and try to talk anything UMass.

I agree...but you would take UConn over UMass six ways from Sunday.

But the money has to be there and the FSU/Clemson duo has to say okay.
Connecticut has many fewer cable boxes than Mass. Boston is also one of the more important cities in the country.

There is no college money to be made in Massachusetts.

The state and region goes as follows
Patriots, Patriots, Patriots, Patriots then Red Sox, Bruins/Celtics.

College sports don't matter one iota in Massachusetts.

Couscuse call into Felger and Mazz and try to talk anything UMass.
IF UMASS is playing OSU, PSU, MSU or Michigan in a conference game, the market share would be halfway decent.

IF UMASS is playing OSU, PSU, MSU or Michigan in a conference game, the market share would be halfway decent.
Replace UMass with Buffalo and it's the same.
NY has more population than MA.

Buffalo is in Buffalo and UMass is in Amherst.
There both in the middle of nowhere.

Replace UMass with Buffalo and it's the same.
NY has more population than MA.

Buffalo is in Buffalo and UMass is in Amherst.
There both in the middle of nowhere.
New York doesn't have a state flagship university. A lot of major state universities are out in the countryside.

This is an interesting intellectual exercise. I am reminded of a similar question:

What if Napoleon had {insert the 6th letter of the alphabet that you can't say on this board}-15's? :noidea:

Last edited:
New York doesn't have a state flagship university. A lot of major state universities are out in the countryside.
If I am not mistaken Buffalo is SUNY Buffalo state university of New York.

UMass is technically UMass-Amherst as their is UMass-Lowell, Umass-Boston and tons of brother schools as well.

If I am not mistaken Buffalo is SUNY Buffalo state university of New York.

UMass is technically UMass-Amherst as their is UMass-Lowell, Umass-Boston and tons of brother schools as well.
Amherst is just UMASS. It is the acknowledged flagship of the state of Massachusetts.

Amherst is just UMASS. It is the acknowledged flagship of the state of Massachusetts.
It is not happening. UMass is never becoming a P5 team ever.

Kaiser has a better chance to announce loyalty to Tom Brady and the Patriots than the Big Ten inviting UMass.

UMass should be working on appealing itself to the American. That conference is one teams will get raided from if anywhere that isn't the Big XII. Getting into the American and playing teams like UConn/Temple/Cincy/USF/UCF should be their goal.

While I don't think this is likely, I don't think it's as far fetched as a lot of you are making it sound. Calipari did pretty well there and with Big affiliation I'm sure they could attract a good, young, up and coming football coach (unlike a certain school from somewhere in Jersey that should have brought back Schiano but didn't).

2017_UMass_Football_Fenway_2000x550.jpg

I'm not usually on the "how come every program other than SU is seemingly able to announce their future non-conference opponents seven years out?" bandwagon, but today I have to ask, "How come every program other than SU is seemingly able to announce their future non-conference opponents seven years out?"

We announce 20 years into the future. #knowyourcardiacrisk #maketheNDseries

The most popular college football team in MA and RI is Notre Dame.

ND Games are on the Sports Hub every week.

BC gets its alums but unlike Syracuse the locals don't have a pride in BC.
There like 30 colleges around Boston thus BC doesn't matter unless they play at Fenway or have ND at home.

UMass has the popularity of LeMoyne in Boston.

Outside of Camby/Refuse to lose its been a non player.

I agree with what you said. But, its also a chicken and the egg thing. Its weird, if Umass joined the B10 with UM, OSU, MSU, etc rolling into boston every year, the town might engage and jump on the team. Yes, Boston is a pro sports town, not college, just thinking out loud. Living in Albany, this reminds me of when Siena hoops had a good 5 year run a few years back under Fran McCaffery. Recruiting was trending, the team was hot, we have a 15k pro arena, and there were fans including me wanting them to jump to the A10. Point is, the Umass thought to the B10 is similar. Jumping up a conference is scary, but recruiting will naturally follow. And yes, Umass, like Siena has the facility to accommodate.

I agree with what you said. But, its also a chicken and the egg thing. Its weird, if Umass joined the B10 with UM, OSU, MSU, etc rolling into boston every year, the town might engage and jump on the team. Yes, Boston is a pro sports town, not college, just thinking out loud. Living in Albany, this reminds me of when Siena hoops had a good 5 year run a few years back under Fran McCaffery. Recruiting was trending, the team was hot, we have a 15k pro arena, and there were fans including me wanting them to jump to the A10. Point is, the Umass thought to the B10 is similar. Jumping up a conference is scary, but recruiting will naturally follow. And yes, Umass, like Siena has the facility to accommodate.
If Umass was in the Big Ten it would get Big Ten alums in NE to go.

It wouldn't matter for MA non-alums.

BC gets Clemson-Florida State as top 5 teams and the locals don't care.

MA has like 50 schools/universities in a small area. The locals don't care about UMass or BC it's their own Alma mater and the Pats/Sox.

The Big Ten wouldn't move the needle in MA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom