What if the B1G goes for UMASS? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What if the B1G goes for UMASS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this thread was dead...

The real question for UMAss football, is whether it will continue to exist... Even with FCS coach salaries, the program is bleeding $$$. The board voted this year, 26-14 to keep football. Swing 7 votes, and it could be done.

I believe they failed FBS probation, and may have come in under the 15000 attendance qualifications.. One game at Gillette brought in just over 6,000 fans... That's less than some NE high school rivalries, or Championship games. NE loves pro sports, and high school, not much more... Some sports radio stations are not even allowed to talk about College Football... For reals. A few NE schools have shut down football completely(BU, etc..) Umm. yeah. No B1G.
We'll see RandomGuy. I say they win a lot this year and go to a bowl.

We'll see RandomGuy. I say they win a lot this year and go to a bowl.
They aren't a real program. They get dregs. The play miles and miles from their campus. If their schedule is weak enough, maybe they can scratch out 6 wins. But they aren't a real program and it is so ridiculous to think the B1G would want them. They would not. They would bring less than zero to the B1G. The idea that the B1G would prefer them to UConn is laughable. And the B1G isn't interested in UConn.

They aren't a real program. They get dregs. The play miles and miles from their campus. If their schedule is weak enough, maybe they can scratch out 6 wins. But they aren't a real program and it is so ridiculous to think the B1G would want them. They would not. They would bring less than zero to the B1G. The idea that the B1G would prefer them to UConn is laughable. And the B1G isn't interested in UConn.
I looked over their roster and they have 64 redshirts on their team. That is almost every recruit from Whipple's first 3 classes, and I assume they will redshirt the incoming freshman class. It takes time and patience to lose in the beginning years but that's is how to build a program from the ground up, the right way. Personally, I like seeing eastern football improve. Temple has gotten on track, UCONN rehired Randy, Stevo has BC steady with a slow upward trend, Pitt looks new and flashy and the the Orange have the dynamic Dino Babers at the helm. Rutgers Ash meh. Eastern football aside, some people at UMASS are behind this program, maybe a rich and influential alumni like Jack Welch.

New England is the only region still up for grabs. BC does not have a hold on it.
Nobody will. The only college sports that matter in NE are men's hockey and UConn WBB.

Sports media in Boston doesn't give a crap about college sports.

Their are so many colleges in the region its splintered into a lot of different alumni based. There is no state pride in UMass inside of MA.

It's only alums that care and it's not a huge alumni base. Same for BC.

The state of MA and New England don't care about college football.
Hockey each state has their college team and basketball it has a little more juice but not in the media.

Syracuse will another football NC before UMass is in the Big Ten conference.

Sports media in Boston doesn't give a crap about college sports.

Their are so many colleges in the region its splintered into a lot of different alumni based. There is no state pride in UMass inside of MA.

It's only alums that care and it's not a huge alumni base. Same for BC.

The state of MA and New England don't care about college football.
Hockey each state has their college team and basketball it has a little more juice but not in the media.

Syracuse will another football NC before UMass is in the Big Ten conference.
There hasn't been major college football in New England since the days of the Ivy league being the top conference and the Yale/Harvard Big Game. BC a little but their fan base should be the Catholics of New England and they are all firmly ND fans. I have to believe there are some powerful people behind UMASS going D1 and the purpose of that is to try to get them in a P5 conference when the next round of realignment comes in 2023. If that is true, I hope they end up in the ACC and not the B1G as Syracuse will then be very isolated from the ACC in a region firmly controlled by the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom