What if... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

What if...

Average 23k fans at 18 home basketball games + 33k(?) at 6 football games = 612,000 tickets times $35 average = $21m

$21m + $24m (ACC revenue) + $3m (nike) = $48m

Still missing $39m - that's a lot of domedogs and crappy nachos.

Exactly, also I'm sure it's not free to operate the dome and I'm sure all it's employees don't work for free.

True, attendance is up. Winning will do that.

"The uptick in support can be seen across the board. The Bruins averaged 8,644 fans for nonconference games versus 7,016 for nonconference games last season."

Pauley Pavilion holds 13k?

Bruins' big crowds could set Pauley Pavilion record

"UCLA is averaging 9,202 fans per game overall, trailing only Utah (11,780) and Arizona (14,176) among Pac-12 teams. While the Bruins’ average is below the 9,549 fans it averaged in 2012-13, the first season after the completion of Pauley Pavilion renovations, it will likely surpass that figure before the end of the season because attendance tends to increase during conference games."

Sounds like fan support is important to Coach Alford and the players.

Yes, Pauley Pavilion holds 13K+ for basketball. Yes, attendance is way up. Yes, competition for the L.A. entertainment dollar is brutal, very different than anywhere else. Yes, the league games have filled the arena. Yes, as is the case with SU, non conference games aren't a top draw. Yes, the program has outdrawn 2012-13. Alford has brought showtime back to L.A. and Hollywood is coming to his games. Out here, that's super important.

Yes, Pauley Pavilion holds 13K+ for basketball. Yes, attendance is way up. Yes, competition for the L.A. entertainment dollar is brutal, very different than anywhere else. Yes, the league games have filled the arena. Yes, as is the case with SU, non conference games aren't a top draw. Yes, the program has outdrawn 2012-13. Alford has brought showtime back to L.A. and Hollywood is coming to his games. Out here, that's super important.

Agree...winning is important to the fan base and that's why it's finally up. Attendance was a problem for UCLA even last season, after making the Sweet 16 two years in a row. Attendance matters.

UCLA is better job than Syracuse.
Both are top 10 jobs.

UCLA won it all in 1995 and then Howland got them to the Final Four 3 years in a row 2006, 2007, 2008.

No, it isn't. It's hard to last at UCLA. The alums are nuts, and the city doesn't care about the Bruins as much as you would think. It's a pro sports town. I mean, Howland got them 3 Final Fours in a row and was let go a few years later, after only 1 losing season.

If Syracuse has a coach who can win 20 games every year and get us to the NCAA tournament, he will last here for years and years and years. Job security counts for a lot.

Plus, just look at the Pac-10 vs. the ACC. The West Coast gets less TV coverage and the conference is the 4th weakest of the Big Five, ahead of only, maybe the Big 12.

No, it isn't. It's hard to last at UCLA. The alums are nuts, and the city doesn't care about the Bruins as much as you would think. It's a pro sports town. I mean, Howland got them 3 Final Fours in a row and was let go a few years later, after only 1 losing season.

If Syracuse has a coach who can win 20 games every year and get us to the NCAA tournament, he will last here for years and years and years. Job security counts for a lot.

Plus, just look at the Pac-10 vs. the ACC. The West Coast gets less TV coverage and the conference is the 4th weakest of the Big Five, ahead of only, maybe the Big 12.
Bill Walton and UCLA alums hated Howland's playing style is what got him fired.
That was a huge factor.
UCLA gives you access to a top recruiting hotbed and basketball tradition. Arizona has been dominating CA recruiting since Love/Westbrook/Collinson era at UCLA.

If Howland beats Florida one of those 2 times he is still at UCLA.
That job is better than SU. TV coverage has nothing to do with LA recruiting.

Average 23k fans at 18 home basketball games + 33k(?) at 6 football games = 612,000 tickets times $35 average = $21m

$21m + $24m (ACC revenue) + $3m (nike) = $48m

Still missing $39m - that's a lot of domedogs and crappy nachos.

The money from the radio network or local TV is peanuts. But we do sell a lot of gear. That revenue gets handled by the CLC, the NCAA's official collegiate licensing company. So let's say that's a little over half of what's left - $25M from clothing and merch sales which would leave $15M from concessions, parking, local advertising, etc.

$25M from clothing and merch sales
That is ridiculous. Do you mean the gear that the University sells or the stuff it licenses? Either way, they're not selling millions of shirts and hats a year.

what was the avg. attendance for our 6 Dome football games this year ? we are a foosball school after all.

what was the avg. attendance for our 6 Dome football games this year ? we are a foosball school after all.

Pretty terrible, which hurts the football program immensely. Thanks making my point.

i'm thinking 30 K is generous ? bleachers shots looked like a teenage tin grin.

Maybe not available jobs and all coaches should have ambition.

I think our fans overrate what we have. The Dome is a dump, it's like old Yankee Stadium. Has history, has great capacity but it's a hunk of concrete crap. The Melo Center is wonderful, but it's no better than what the other big boys have.

We're in the ACC and that's great, but there's no doubt we're trending downward and it's not setting up Hop for success with the roster the way it looks.

If for some reason Hop goes somewhere else or we replace him after a few years, we're not getting a s e xy name, we'll probably get a coach that's had mid-major success.
lol you gotta love when "this job sucks, the Dome is a dump" guy shows up

That is ridiculous. Do you mean the gear that the University sells or the stuff it licenses? Either way, they're not selling millions of shirts and hats a year.

OK, so I guess we earn a lot more from ticket sales and concessions that someone suggested above. However, this article says that the top NCAA schools made $40-50M from the sale of licensed merchandise, and we are one of the top schools in sales, so maybe that number is not so far off.
College Sports: 7 Schools That Bring in the Most Money

lol you gotta love when "this job sucks, the Dome is a dump" guy shows up

Never said the job sucks at all. Have mentioned it's a great job. But people need to stop acting like this is UK, Duke or UCLA

Never said the job sucks at all. Have mentioned it's a great job. But people need to stop acting like this is UK, Duke or UCLA

I don't recall anyone comparing Syracuse to Duke or UK. UCLA? Sure. Certainly a Top 10 job.

Bill Walton and UCLA alums hated Howland's playing style is what got him fired.
That was a huge factor.
UCLA gives you access to a top recruiting hotbed and basketball tradition. Arizona has been dominating CA recruiting since Love/Westbrook/Collinson era at UCLA.

If Howland beats Florida one of those 2 times he is still at UCLA.
That job is better than SU. TV coverage has nothing to do with LA recruiting.

Howland's playing style was a factor, but so was the lack of success. Aside from those 3 FF's (Westbrook/Love classes) Howland did nothing in the NCAA tournament. He missed the NCAA's 2 times and was bounced in the 1st weekend the other 3 times in his last 5 years. 10 years, 3 missed tournaments, 2 seasons with a losing record, 4 1st/2nd round exits. He couldn't sustain the success had for 3 years.

Regarding recruiting, I think that if our backcourt was Tyler Ennis and Malachi Richardson and our front court was a fully healthy DaJuan Coleman, Chris McCullough and Tyler Lydon, I don't think anyone would be complaining about our recruiting. Kaleb Joseph and Ron Patterson? Everybody has guys like that.

About our incoming class, what counts is: did the coaches get the guys they wanted? If they get their #1 choices, what difference does it make what the star rating is: they know more about the players than the people who make those ratings. If they get their #2 choice, that's still going to be someone that has a chance to be a good player. If you get below that, then it's something to be concerned about - at that position. Obviously Green was the #1 choice at point guard. They didn't get him but they did get Washington, who was good enough that Butler wanted him. And Greene has nothing to do with Sibide or Brissett. They committed a long time ago so they must have been the #1 choices.

It wouldn't be surprising to see a dip in our fortunes in the wake of the probation and now a coaching change to someone with no real track record as a head coach. People underestimate the impact of a probation. First there are the initial revelations, (if they are made public), then the investigation, (which took forever), then the probation, (which deprived us of scholarships and imposed limitations on the coach's recruiting activities). Then you have along period afterwards we we still have a questionable reputation. Through this whole process, the coaching staff has to recruit on eggshells because they don't want to get in trouble again, (even though nothing in the most recent probation had to do with recruiting).

I think we've done pretty well.

So Syracuse is more attractive than UCLA and Indiana?

Nobody cares about our attendance outside of Syracuse, sorry. Tradition, um, didn't you just say Syracuse > Indiana/UCLA?, TV? Every game is on tv. I actually had more trouble watching a Syracuse game the past couple of years than I ever have.

I love this program but it is what it is. The final four was a great run, but at this point it means zero. We've been a bubble team 3 years in a row and next year isn't looking any better.
Nobody cares what each and every fan base has. Fan base matters to the players, programs , and coaches . Syracuse has a rabid fan base and prove that year in and year out it's very important for a program . This whole nobody cares outside of Syracuse is a moot point . I couldn't care less what unc or Kentucky are putting in the stands. But i know they have fans. Fans are very important to a program , and recruits and coaches (and potential) see that . And yes Syracuse is more attractive than Indy and ucla I feel. Do you not remember their dark days ? lol they had them believe me. And if dark days is 3 bubble teams in 3 years , and 2 final 4's in the past 4 I guess I'll take that .

Nobody cares what each and every fan base has. Fan base matters to the players, programs , and coaches . Syracuse has a rabid fan base and prove that year in and year out it's very important for a program . This whole nobody cares outside of Syracuse is a moot point . I couldn't care less what unc or Kentucky are putting in the stands. But i know they have fans. Fans are very important to a program , and recruits and coaches (and potential) see that . And yes Syracuse is more attractive than Indy and ucla I feel. Do you not remember their dark days ? lol they had them believe me. And if dark days is 3 bubble teams in 3 years , and 2 final 4's in the past 4 I guess I'll take that .

Well, if you think we're more attractive than UCLA then you're about as smart as the last guy defending it. I really have no more to add than that because your delusions cloud common sense.

Well, if you think we're more attractive than UCLA then you're about as smart as the last guy defending it. I really have no more to add than that because your delusions cloud common sense.
Why because they won most of their titles and built their legacy when the tournament field was a joke? when only conference champions could play in the tourney , that's real tough . You know the NY Giants have 8 championships ? No probably not because 4 of them weren't Super Bowls . I'm not delusional I'm a realist.

Jimmy goes to coach Cornell...and beats us ooc
U of R's Mike Neer who took the job when JB turned it down to do SU, retired for a year then became the Hobart coach for three years. His career as a D3 coach was very remarkable.

Reading between the lines, what the OP suggests hypothetically is what I believe actually happened.

Can't envision Hopkins leaving under any circumstances, after waiting this long. Wouldn't have an issue if he bails for Cal, as it is closer to home for him. If that's what he chooses to do [and I'm not saying that it will be], then I tip my hat and thank Hop for his service. But then we make a clean break and bring somebody outside of the program in with a proven track record, and a profile suitable for a semi-elite program.

Which is what we should do anyway, IMO. This is not a job where candidates should be learning on the job.
Hop has been at SU so long that Syracuse is now his home. Came at 18? as a student/player and now has been an assistant for 20+ years.

He gone. Hopkins has a contract. If JB wants to stay on then how we have handled recruiting has been wrong.
Yup. His next job is head of the new selection committee for the NCAA. ESPN talking head put forth an idea putting together a new committee with mostly basketball centric members. Mostly/all permanent members. JB would be perfect for the job as he would actually watch college games.

Yup. His next job is head of the new selection committee for the NCAA. ESPN talking head put forth an idea putting together a new committee with mostly basketball centric members. Mostly/all permanent members. JB would be perfect for the job as he would actually watch college games.
The NCAA, or more accurately, large factions of the NCAA despise Boeheim. Why do you think the took wins away from him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom