What if... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What if...

Rick Jackson was 51st. Triche was injured in high school and would have been ranked. Joseph who was the 6th man was 50th. Scoop who was a major player on that team was ranked 48th. Johnson was an honorable mention for all big 12 before he came. You want to try again?

Triche was ranked in the 10o's,
Rick Jackson was 51st. Triche was injured in high school and would have been ranked. Joseph who was the 6th man was 50th. Scoop who was a major player on that team was ranked 48th. Johnson was an honorable mention for all big 12 before he came. You want to try again?

Sure thing. Triche was ranked in the 100's, and Jackson was 103rd. I said starters, right?

Winning record every year, Final Fours (yes they matter), tournament success matters. Yes winning matters. Ucla hasn't won in 10 years. Why can't ucla draw 7k to their games?

They are also in L.A. There's some competition for people's attention.
Miami has never drawn, either. And that's why NYC and Boston teams don't really get much attention.
Too much comp.

Trust me, the people counting the money do.
Where do you think most of our athletic budget comes from?

Duke must be in trouble then with their low capacity crowds. Can't believe they can even have uniforms.

If you think "most" of our athletic budget comes from our attendance then you're as bad as Alpharetta.

Riv als sucks, hence why their irrelevant. ESPN has him top 100, scout had him top 100 and the page you cite had him top 100. Only one loser in this thread, it's not me.

Btw, back your BS up with facts before you try to call people out. May want to check his Cuse profile.

www.cuse.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6920

so because you say so...it's true? Are you a recruiting expert? So the play by play guy that said on that that Big Monday game that Syracuse didn't have a Top 100 recruit in it's starting lineup was lying? Too funny. Maybe he should have used Scout.

I guess the fact that r i v a l had him ranked 103, means I wasn't wrong? #facts

https://n./prospect_rankings/rivals150/2007

so because you say so...it's true? Are you a recruiting expert? So the play by play guy that said on that that Big Monday game that Syracuse didn't have a Top 100 recruit in it's starting lineup was lying? Too funny. Maybe he should have used Scout.

If it's between me and a play by play guy when it comes to knowledge about Syracuse basketball I'm willing to bet I know far more than him.

I'm saying things and backing it up with facts. You're not.

Duke must be in trouble then with their low capacity crowds. Can't believe they can even have uniforms.

If you think "most" of our athletic budget comes from our attendance then you're as bad as Alpharetta.

Cuse was 6th most profitable basketball program in 2015. Wonder if attendance had anything to do with that?

Cuse was 6th most profitable basketball program in 2015. Wonder if attendance had anything to do with that?

The ACC and final four had far much more to do with it.

A little, but how does Duke make so much money?

The ACC and final four had far much more to do with it.

A little, but how does Duke make so much money?

Merchandise. The Top 6 programs are the Top 6 in attendance. Coincidence?

How much does Syracuse get for making the Final Four?

I'm guessing that 24,ooo fannies in the seats means more revenue than 8500.

Merchandise. The Top 6 programs are the Top 6 in attendance. Coincidence?

How much does Syracuse get for making the Final Four?

I'm guessing that 24,ooo fannies in the seats mean more revenue than 8500.

Nobody ever debated people in the stands means more money but stop acting like it's the end all be all.

Nobody ever debated people in the stands means more money but stop acting like it's the end all be all.

Attendance matters. It means a much better game atmosphere, much more noise, impacts the game, creates an advantage, and looks fun on TV. To pretend is doesnt matter is rediculous. The best programs have great game day atmospheres.

A dump:

730fd578509986fc65154ad535e13df4_dumping-at-landfill-695.jpg

A Dome:

carrierdomeuconn.jpg

Those dont look so dissimilar to all of us:

Do the math. What do we get from the ACC - $24 million, something like that, right?
Yet we have $87 million in revenues.

OK, so some of that comes from Nike and NCAA apparel licensing agreements.
This Nunes article says we only get paid $3M per year in licensing from Nike.

#BRAND, Syracuse Ranks Middle of the Pack in Sports Apparel Deal with Nike

That may be only the license fee and not our share from actual sales of merchandise. Even if that's the case, how much more does that add - $10M?

So the bulk of it comes from ticket sales to basketball and football games and Dome concessions, and I would bet that the majority of that is from concessions.

Last edited:
Yes it is. Ucla can't fill their arena. If UCLA is such a great job why do they keep firing coaches out there?

I didn't say we had a better tradition then UCLA in Indiana I said that we are a better job right now

And yes attendance certainly does matter. It matters to recruits it matters to coaches. Big-time atmosphere and big-time TV games are the norm at Syracuse.

My take will be just as subjective as yours, but I disagree with this pretty strongly. Big-time atmosphere (fun like UVA and Duke) are the exception at Syracuse. 15,000 in a morgue-like building with minor-league baseball commercials -- which is what the Dome is for 10-15 home games -- is the norm.

How this compares to other schools I'll leave for someone else to judge, but the "atmosphere" thing has taken on mythical proportions on this board. And I know it doesn't carry any weight among coaches on the national scene.

My take will be just as subjective as yours, but I disagree with this pretty strongly. Big-time atmosphere (fun like UVA and Duke) are the exception at Syracuse. 15,000 in a morgue-like building with minor-league baseball commercials -- which is what the Dome is for 10-15 home games -- is the norm.

How this compares to other schools I'll leave for someone else to judge, but the "atmosphere" thing has taken on mythical proportions on this board. And I know it doesn't carry any weight among coaches on the national scene.

We average 23k fans over the course of 18 home games. Actually, we got 23,800 for Colgate.

30,400 for Georgia Tech
30,300 for Duke
25,300 for Louisville
27,500 for Virginia
22,200 for Wake Forest
21,600 for BC
25,000 for Georgetown
22,000 for Monmouth
21,400 for Holy Cross

"I know he was emotional," said Battle, who walked off the floor with Boeheim after a television interview. "It was an emotional day for him. We have some amazing fans. They really support him. I'm never seen him so emotional. That shows how much he loves this program, and all he's done for this program. I was just happy to witness it. The crowd started roaring"

"The crowd was so instrumental in the game," Boeheim said. "That's what I was trying to show them."

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim after 1,000 wins: 'I'm proud of everything that's happened here'

Fan support matters, and we have a ton of it.

Last edited:

Sorry but you're way off here. UCLA attendance is up 50 percent this year to near capacity. Your link is from an article two years ago. The only legend to have coached here is the Wizard of Westwood. Everyone else has been just a placeholder.

Sorry but you're way off here. UCLA attendance is up 50 percent this year to near capacity. Your link is from an article two years ago. The only legend to have coached here is the Wizard of Westwood. Everyone else has been just a placeholder.

True, attendance is up. Winning will do that.

"The uptick in support can be seen across the board. The Bruins averaged 8,644 fans for nonconference games versus 7,016 for nonconference games last season."

Pauley Pavilion holds 13k?

Bruins' big crowds could set Pauley Pavilion record

"UCLA is averaging 9,202 fans per game overall, trailing only Utah (11,780) and Arizona (14,176) among Pac-12 teams. While the Bruins’ average is below the 9,549 fans it averaged in 2012-13, the first season after the completion of Pauley Pavilion renovations, it will likely surpass that figure before the end of the season because attendance tends to increase during conference games."

Sounds like fan support is important to Coach Alford and the players.

UCLA is better job than Syracuse.
Both are top 10 jobs.

UCLA won it all in 1995 and then Howland got them to the Final Four 3 years in a row 2006, 2007, 2008.

Syracuse has the Dome, fanbase, Melo Center, access to the NYC, and great conference.

We are a great job. Syracuse basketball is the Michigan Football of college basketball. We have tradition and the biggest house in the nation.

We average 23k fans over the course of 18 home games. Actually, we got 23,800 for Colgate.

30,400 for Georgia Tech
30,300 for Duke
25,300 for Louisville
27,500 for Virginia
22,200 for Wake Forest
21,600 for BC
25,000 for Georgetown
22,000 for Monmouth
21,400 for Holy Cross

"I know he was emotional," said Battle, who walked off the floor with Boeheim after a television interview. "It was an emotional day for him. We have some amazing fans. They really support him. I'm never seen him so emotional. That shows how much he loves this program, and all he's done for this program. I was just happy to witness it. The crowd started roaring"

"The crowd was so instrumental in the game," Boeheim said. "That's what I was trying to show them."

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim after 1,000 wins: 'I'm proud of everything that's happened here'

Fan support matters, and we have a ton of it.

OK, but the comment I addressed had to do with "atmosphere," not tickets distributed. I was at each of those games you listed (and all but Florida State that you didn't). The building is dead for more than half the games. If Syracuse were so lucky to have a Bill Plaschke working for the local newspaper, maybe he'd write an attendance article like the UCLA one. He'd have statistical (along with subjective) grounds to do so.

(By the way, I had a great time at that Virginia game. The crowd was fantastic, more enthusiastic than any at the Dome this season.)

OK, but the comment I addressed had to do with "atmosphere," not tickets distributed. I was at each of those games you listed (and all but Florida State that you didn't). The building is dead for more than half the games. If Syracuse were so lucky to have a Bill Plaschke working for the local newspaper, maybe he'd write an attendance article like the UCLA one. He'd have statistical (along with subjective) grounds to do so.

(By the way, I had a great time at that Virginia game. The crowd was fantastic, more enthusiastic than any at the Dome this season.)

The atmosphere looked great at all those games on TV! Loved the court storms too. 15-3 at home this year? I bet the crowd helped.

ticket sales to basketball and football games
Average 23k fans at 18 home basketball games + 33k(?) at 6 football games = 612,000 tickets times $35 average = $21m

$21m + $24m (ACC revenue) + $3m (nike) = $48m

Still missing $39m - that's a lot of domedogs and crappy nachos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom