What if... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

What if...

Hop has been at SU so long that Syracuse is now his home. Came at 18? as a student/player and now has been an assistant for 20+ years.

How do you know? Are you a mind reader?

People presume to know what others are thinking. If what you suggest was true, then why did he go as hard after the USC vacancy as he did? It isn't black and white, one thing or the other.

and if hopkins has this "airtight etched in stone" contract with the university then why is he even at USC ?
was he going to buy his way out of the contract as we would have to if we backed out ? curious.

Hop has been at SU so long that Syracuse is now his home. Came at 18? as a student/player and now has been an assistant for 20+ years.

Yeah, just like Boeheim used to be from Lyons. What's the difference? :cool:

Comparing So Cal to Lyons is an awful metaphor for a number of reasons. That should be obvious.

The NCAA, or more accurately, large factions of the NCAA despise Boeheim. Why do you think the took wins away from him?

Because he was the coach of a team who had multiple violations for the second time of his career?

Regarding recruiting, I think that if our backcourt was Tyler Ennis and Malachi Richardson and our front court was a fully healthy DaJuan Coleman, Chris McCullough and Tyler Lydon, I don't think anyone would be complaining about our recruiting. Kaleb Joseph and Ron Patterson? Everybody has guys like that.

About our incoming class, what counts is: did the coaches get the guys they wanted? If they get their #1 choices, what difference does it make what the star rating is: they know more about the players than the people who make those ratings. If they get their #2 choice, that's still going to be someone that has a chance to be a good player. If you get below that, then it's something to be concerned about - at that position. Obviously Green was the #1 choice at point guard. They didn't get him but they did get Washington, who was good enough that Butler wanted him. And Greene has nothing to do with Sibide or Brissett. They committed a long time ago so they must have been the #1 choices.

It wouldn't be surprising to see a dip in our fortunes in the wake of the probation and now a coaching change to someone with no real track record as a head coach. People underestimate the impact of a probation. First there are the initial revelations, (if they are made public), then the investigation, (which took forever), then the probation, (which deprived us of scholarships and imposed limitations on the coach's recruiting activities). Then you have along period afterwards we we still have a questionable reputation. Through this whole process, the coaching staff has to recruit on eggshells because they don't want to get in trouble again, (even though nothing in the most recent probation had to do with recruiting).

I think we've done pretty well.

Expecting Malachi to be here in 16-17 when he was recruited was fair, expecting Ennis or McCullough to be here right now is not.

I view recruiting a little differently; I don't think it's about your #1 or #2 choice unless you're Duke, UNC or Kentucky and basically pick who you want. For them, recruiting is more about picking the right people than convincing people to come. We're in that next tier, where it's a combination of targeting the right players and convincing them to come here. As far as I'm concerned, the best strategy would be to pick a handful of guys and then hope to land one of them. Also, beyond who you target, scouting and picking the right guys to target matters too. If you get your #1 choice every year, but there are too many misses, that's a problem too.

I also agree 110% that people are underestimating the impact of the NCAA penalties, and obviously a coaching change has a lot of risk in terms of a dip in the program... Especially in the ACC, where a decently talented team can easily have a losing record in the conference.

Because he was the coach of a team who had multiple violations for the second time of his career?
Then why would they make him the head of some committee? Which was my point.

Didn't say Hop wasn't FROM SoCal. Or that the wasn't a native. I just said that he's been gone so long it's not really his home anymore. Is JB from Lyons, yes. Is it his home. I don't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom