What I'm hearing | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get why people would be concerned about his record at Washington, but it will be easier for him to get players here than it is there with the connections he still has. Not saying it's my choice, but I get why that decision would be made.

I don't. I know that I was on an island when Hop was here, but I cautioned against hiring an unproven commodity even back then. I desperately wanted him to leave the nest to prove that he had the chops, instead of just handing him the job, and increasingly it looks like we dodged a bullet. The early returns certainly looked good, but the 3 years
make suggest that he was successful with the previous coaches players.

I'm sure that Hopkins would do a better job of recruiting than what we've seen lately. The problem is, that's only one component of the job. And Hopkins has been exposed in just about every other capacity.

He's not good enough. Many posters on this board are enamored with some idyllic fantasy about what they wish hop was, rather than the reality of what he is (and isn't).

Yeah, I’m struggling to find a guy who would be his bench coach.
Too bad Louis Orr is Louis Orr and was part of that disaster at Georgetown this year. How about a guy like Will Brown, who did a decent job at UAlbany. He's not doing anything right now, except for coaching the Albany Patroons in the same league as the Syracuse Stallions.

If our candidates come down to Hop or a Kevin Willard type I would rather just go with Hop.

The coaching candidates for the Louisville and Maryland jobs told us a lot. It's not going to be as exciting a pool as people think.
Yeah this is what I’ve been trying to say too

Too bad Louis Orr is Louis Orr and was part of that disaster at Georgetown this year. How about a guy like Will Brown, who did a decent job at UAlbany. He's not doing anything right now, except for coaching the Albany Patroons in the same league as the Syracuse Stallions.

Sounds like a candidate for an Assistant job, IMO.

If our candidates come down to Hop or a Kevin Willard type I would rather just go with Hop.

The coaching candidates for the Louisville and Maryland jobs told us a lot. It's not going to be as exciting a pool as people think.
Well, if that's the artificially constrained choice, that I agree.

But I think you're 100% wrong about people who would be interested in this job, when it eventually opens up.

Also, we're not Maryland. And Louisville is trying to lure a candidate under duress.

The more I watch the Coach K never ending farewell journey the more I know that JB would never want this. He will make an announcement, and then maybe later on he will let us celebrate his years at SU, but in a way that will be for us and he will not want the huge public national attention.
I don't know Jim personally, but from what I've gathered over the years, I would agree. A farewell tour just doesn't seem like his kind of thing. That said, I'm not so sure Coach K did this for himself. I think a farewell tour, while a strain on the season and players, can be a clean way of leaving. That is, everyone knows it's coming (including recruits), and then there is a clean break at the end. Either way, as much as I appreciate all that Jim has done, I do hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Someone mentioned it earlier. You have to know Washington’s history to judge Hop. They have no history to speak of in basketball. One final four in their history and that was in the 50’s, very few Elite Eights, not even many tournament appearances.
It’s not like he went to some basketball factory.
Considering Washington’s history he hasn’t done a bad job. Especially going from coast to coast.

If you like Hop don’t let his tenure at Washington sway your opinions on him. He’s done just as good and lots better than many coach in their history.

I'm sure that Hopkins would do a better job of recruiting than what we've seen lately. The problem is, that's only one component of the job. And Hopkins has been exposed in just about every other capacity.
What is this 'every other capacity'? If you mean bench coach, I agree... but wasn't JB long considered a guy who just "rolled the ball out there" and let his talent do the rest?

I want the talent restocked. The rest of this stuff gets easier once you have talent. And that includes finding Hop's replacement if it comes to it. Obviously, you can tell I'm impartial to Hop. He is an SU guy and I'd like to see an SU guy take the baton here if it stands a reasonable chance of succeeding. I guess the question is how reasonable is it to expect that Hop can succeed here?

The other SU candidates? Nobody else even wants them.

What is this 'every other capacity'? If you mean bench coach, I agree... but wasn't JB long considered a guy who just "rolled the ball out there" and let his talent do the rest?

I want the talent restocked. The rest of this stuff gets easier once you have talent. And that includes finding Hop's replacement if it comes to it. Obviously, you can tell I'm impartial to Hop. He is an SU guy and I'd like to see an SU guy take the baton here if it stands a reasonable chance of succeeding. I guess the question is how reasonable is it to expect that Hop can succeed here?

The other SU candidates? Nobody else even wants them.

Are you honestly suggesting that you don't recognize that running a p5 college basketball program involves more than just recruiting?

Being a good recruiter should be a minimum threshold check the box criteria, not the one and only qualification.

Are you honestly suggesting that you don't recognize that running a p5 college basketball program involves more than just recruiting?

Being a good recruiter should be a minimum threshold check the box criteria, not the one and only qualification.
Everyone says his bench skills are weak, but they didn't seem so weak when he had talent in his first 2 seasons at Washington when he was COY.

What is Hop so bad at? Please enlighten us. Maybe I'm in the dark and there's something I'm not aware of, honestly.

If we don't go with Hop, then we better wipe the slate clean. To those of you that don't want him, it makes no sense to favor Red or Gerry.

I don't know Jim personally, but from what I've gathered over the years, I would agree. A farewell tour just doesn't seem like his kind of thing. That said, I'm not so sure Coach K did this for himself. I think a farewell tour, while a strain on the season and players, can be a clean way of leaving. That is, everyone knows it's coming (including recruits), and then there is a clean break at the end. Either way, as much as I appreciate all that Jim has done, I do hope it comes sooner rather than later.
Thing about a farewell tour is it goes much easier if your team is good. NOt sure that will be the case for us next year which I am assuming is JB's last.

Everyone says his bench skills are weak, but they didn't seem so weak when he had talent in his first 2 seasons at Washington when he was COY.

What is Hop so bad at? Please enlighten us. Maybe I'm in the dark and there's something I'm not aware of, honestly.

If we don't go with Hop, then we better wipe the slate clean. To those of you that don't want him, it makes no sense to favor Red or Gerry.
You mean the 2 years when he inherited a roster from an established coach who is recognized as a truly great reporter in romar?

I don't have time to respond to this in depth, but I'll point you to a post Jake made earlier. Hop has been a disaster offensively, and his teams have gotten worse defensively after losing that athletic wing to the NBA. He doesn't seem to have any answers, because he's basically a no-trick pony. He just goes with what he knows, which is basically to attempt to run this same systems on both side of the ball that he learned from Boeheim, only he's not nearly as good of a coach.

I don't know any of these people personally, only what I see on TV and media. I don't have a clue as to how to best judge a coaching candidate other than what I see on TV and media.

But I sure as hell would like to know what Arizona saw in Tommy Lloyd, because that was a heckuva first season as a HC.
He was the Mike Hopkins to Mark Few.

Hart is definitely intriguing, but pulling his wife from California is going to be near impossible.
I could see Hart coming here, but if he does good I could see him jumping ship at first big time west coast offer.Hop-Gmac-Autry not so much.

Imho….people aren’t paying enough attention to what Hop’s issues are at UW.

The concerns over him running the zone is PTSD from watching our zone deteriorate. I don’t mind the zone at all…I abhor it if we’re playing 35 minutes of it with JG3, JB2, Cole and Buddy. It’s about the players, not the style. A great zone still works…and he won’t play it 100% of the time.

Hop’s teams have been fine defensively….it’s the other end of the court that has failed him. That’s why I think he’d be well served by a bench coach…like Martelli. No idea who.

He’ll get players. And the Philly pipeline will flow again.
I agree. Defensively he’s done ok. His offense Is dreadful at times. They don’t always play with a purpose. It seems whatever happens, happens. That’s not the way to take advantage of your talent.

Well, if that's the artificially constrained choice, that I agree.

But I think you're 100% wrong about people who would be interested in this job, when it eventually opens up.

Also, we're not Maryland. And Louisville is trying to lure a candidate under duress.
Hope I'm wrong, but these candidates at recent P5 openings have been a who's who of mediocrity.

Arizona caught lightning in a bottle with Mark Few's top assistant. Texas Tech promoted Beard's top assistant when he left. Those could have went either way.

If we made similar hires of no coaching experience fans here would freak out.

Hope I'm wrong, but these candidates at recent P5 openings have been a who's who of mediocrity.

Arizona caught lightning in a bottle with Mark Few's top assistant. Texas Tech promoted Beard's top assistant when he left. Those could have went either way.

If we made similar hires of no coaching experience fans here would freak out.

People would freak out if a candidate was considered who had Hopkins resume, if he were submitted as of blind resume.

People would freak out if a candidate was considered who had Hopkins resume, if he were submitted as of blind resume.
Would freak out a lot more with GMac or Red's. Though suppose you could probably actually be blind and read theirs.

Someone mentioned it earlier. You have to know Washington’s history to judge Hop. They have no history to speak of in basketball. One final four in their history and that was in the 50’s, very few Elite Eights, not even many tournament appearances.
It’s not like he went to some basketball factory.
Considering Washington’s history he hasn’t done a bad job. Especially going from coast to coast.

If you like Hop don’t let his tenure at Washington sway your opinions on him. He’s done just as good and lots better than many coach in their history.
I’ll be honest? If he puts up 20+ wins again and makes the tournament next year, I’d feel a lot better about it.

Hard to justify hiring the guy coming off 2 horrible seasons and then a mediocre season.

But if they progress and have a good season next year, it looks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom