What I'm hearing | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seton Hall just hired their 4 MAAC coach in a row.

You’re also at the mercy of whatever coaches are hot/available that cycle. A candidate could pop up over the next 8 months and he’s not even on our radar now
To be fair, Holloway is a program guy - that has been a done deal all season, before the run.

I would rather chase some good outside candidates, but I think Syracuse sees a lot of value in keeping it in the family the same way we just saw Duke and UNC do and the same way many other programs do it. From that standpoint, Hopkins and Hart are the two that I would be most interested in and I'll be happy with either one of them.
One reason for keeping it in the family is that it gives you some confidence that the person you give the reigns to isn't using the opportunity to build his resume so that he can move to the next higher paying opportunity as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

If our candidates come down to Hop or a Kevin Willard type I would rather just go with Hop.

The coaching candidates for the Louisville and Maryland jobs told us a lot. It's not going to be as exciting a pool as people think.
Which is why Hart is the best candidate.
I like Hop but the zone overwhelming the majority of the time shows what he is.
He could have had the job but left.

If Louisville didn’t have sanctions hanging over them I could see them getting a better candidate like a Scott Drew.
The sanctions lowered their ceiling.

Maryland fired their coach in a weird way. That hurt them a little IMO.

Ideal staff when JB leaves
HC: Hop (elite recruiter, needs help with the Xs and O’s)
Assoc HC: Bielien (if he wants back in college)
Assistant: Hart
Assistant: Griff (I think he has done well with the bigs and coaching them up. He is a good recruiter but not elite)

No idea if this is realistic but I also don’t think it’s unrealistic with every one of these coaches having ties to Cuse and/or the area. To me that would be a killer staff

Imho….people aren’t paying enough attention to what Hop’s issues are at UW.

The concerns over him running the zone is PTSD from watching our zone deteriorate. I don’t mind the zone at all…I abhor it if we’re playing 35 minutes of it with JG3, JB2, Cole and Buddy. It’s about the players, not the style. A great zone still works…and he won’t play it 100% of the time.

Hop’s teams have been fine defensively….it’s the other end of the court that has failed him. That’s why I think he’d be well served by a bench coach…like Martelli. No idea who.

He’ll get players. And the Philly pipeline will flow again.

Last edited:
Just add a press and fall back into the zone.
Then have a 1-3-1 in your back pocket when opponents start attacking the foul line.
UNLV, Louisville and others have had great success with this approach, granted years ago, but you pick up a team full court, force turnovers and run.
Man that is such a no brainer. Drain 6-7 seconds off the shot clock every time. Truly don't understand why it isn't the norm, particularly since they reduced the shot clock.

Ideal staff when JB leaves
HC: Hop (elite recruiter, needs help with the Xs and O’s)
Assoc HC: Bielien (if he wants back in college)
Assistant: Hart
Assistant: Griff (I think he has done well with the bigs and coaching them up. He is a good recruiter but not elite)

No idea if this is realistic but I also don’t think it’s unrealistic with every one of these coaches having ties to Cuse and/or the area. To me that would be a killer staff
It isn't realistic. First, Beilein isn't coming here to be Hop's ass't. Second, neither is Hart.

When your husband is a basketball coach, that goes with the territory. Hops wife is from Syracuse and she went to Washington.
Agreed….but she made Jason bail on Seattle. I know it was just an assistant position, but I think it’s a really heavy lift to entice her to the snow capital of the world. Especially if we’re not the only offer on the table.

If our candidates come down to Hop or a Kevin Willard type I would rather just go with Hop.

The coaching candidates for the Louisville and Maryland jobs told us a lot. It's not going to be as exciting a pool as people think.
If our candidate is Willard or Hopkins sure.

I just think Hopkins resume at Washington doesn’t scream optimism.

Agreed….but she made Jason bail on Seattle. I know it was just an assistant position, but I think it’s a really heavy lift to entice her to the snow capital of the world. Especially if we’re not the only offer on the table.
Hart got a raise from USC to stay.
So while he would have gone to Washington if his wife didn’t speak up it give him leverage to get a raise.

If the salary is 4 million as HC vs. 750k to be an assistant i think he can sell that to her.

If our candidate is Willard or Hopkins sure.

I just think Hopkins resume at Washington doesn’t scream optimism.
I get why people would be concerned about his record at Washington, but it will be easier for him to get players here than it is there with the connections he still has. Not saying it's my choice, but I get why that decision would be made.

I personally can't wrap my head around if Hart would take the SU job given his current situation?

He's positioning himself to be a high level guy on an NBA staff in a matter of a few years. Is his goal to be a college HC or NBA? Has he publicly said he wants to be a college HC? He seems to be taking the pro route. California to Cuse isn't exactly an easy sell, either.

I get why people would be concerned about his record at Washington, but it will be easier for him to get players here than it is there with the connections he still has. Not saying it's my choice, but I get why that decision would be made.
I think Hop has some positives it’s just what had been visible doesn’t make him appealing.

Make a market rate offer to Hart.
Washington is not a bad job. They shouldn’t go 3 years in a row with no tournament. Let’s see if they get there next year.

Man that is such a no brainer. Drain 6-7 seconds off the shot clock every time. Truly don't understand why it isn't the norm, particularly since they reduced the shot clock.
When you under utilize your bench, you drop back to save energy.

Beilein currently works for Troy Weaver in the FO of the Pistons. It's a good gig for someone who is 70.

I chatted with Beilein very briefly at the Buffalo Hall of Fame dinner in the Fall. He very much seemed like a guy who was done coaching for good. The consulting gig with the Pistons is perfect for him and his work/life balance.

Imho….people aren’t paying enough attention to what Hop’s issues are at UW.

The concerns over him running the zone is PTSD from watching our zone deteriorate. I don’t mind the zone at all…I abhor it if we’re playing 35 minutes of it with JG3, JB2, Cole and Buddy. It’s about the players, not the style. A great zone still works…and he won’t play it 100% of the time.

Hop’s teams have been fine defensively….it’s the other end of the court that has failed him. That’s why I think he’d be well served by a bench coach…like Martelli. No idea who.

He’ll get players. And the Philly pipeline will flow again.
Yes please.

I think Hop has some positives it’s just what had been visible doesn’t make him appealing.

Make a market rate offer to Hart.
Washington is not a bad job. They shouldn’t go 3 years in a row with no tournament. Let’s see if they get there next year.
Washington should theoretically be a good job given it’s location to recruits, but they’ve made the tournament 13 times in the past 50 years. And 6 of those 13 came in one 8 year stretch in the early 2000s.

It shouldn’t be this way, but missing the tournament 3 years in a row is the norm for them.

One reason for keeping it in the family is that it gives you some confidence that the person you give the reigns to isn't using the opportunity to build his resume so that he can move to the next higher paying opportunity as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
Syracuse football may be a stepping stone job. Syracuse basketball is not that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom