What I'm hearing | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm simply saying there are no actual results yet which show if the recent moves in those sports were the right moves or not. I would think even you could understand that.
Even me? C’mon. Don’t be an …

Recruiting a Heisman level RB isn’t nothing, but I think it’s fair to judge as a hire or a new contract as it’s being issued (was it the right decision on paper) *and* in hindsight as the coaches career progresses.

Hiring Hop would be an understandable decision and a win for the AD on first blush. After 3-5 years you can reassess. That’s why there are limits on contracts?

Athletic Directors hire assistant coaches now?

Wildhack made funds available to upgrade the coaching staff.

Dino convinced Beck and Anae to come here.
Not really. Mendenhall resigned and they became available. If he stayed, they would still be there. We were very lucky. They basically fell into our laps.

Only 5 players at a time. 3 guard lineup. 1 foward. 1 center. Benny is not going to be handed a starting role just because he is a soph. He will have to earn it. Would probably be disasterous if Benny were handed the starting foward. Mintz is a must get.

Only 5 players at a time. 3 guard lineup. 1 foward. 1 center. Benny is not going to be handed a starting role just because he is a soph. He will have to earn it. Would probably be disasterous if Benny were handed the starting foward. Mintz is a must get.
Mintz looks like a stretch. Who know why but if he doesnt come we really need Cole back. I tease about Jim not liking the portal but i hope that he is all over it as we need some help

Just about any hire is a bit of a crap shoot….but each hire was universally applauded by fans and basically peers.

I don’t think you can ask an athletic director to do much more than that.
All three could be grand slams. I hope they are. But it is tough to call hires a success when there are literally no results that have come of it, outside of a very up and down lax season.

Hop has more losing seasons in the last 3 years(2) than JB has in 46 years(1).

He hasn’t been to the NCAAT the last 3 years. If he doesn’t go next year it would be 4.
We all love Hop on this board but if Wildhack is reducing the search to only alums pick an alum that isn’t attached to the status quo on the bench or a guy who hasn’t shown what he has in a weak Pac-12.

If Hop is offered, I don’t see how there’s any way he turns it down. IMHO.
Of course he takes the job because he’s going to be fired after next season. He would be gone now if it wasn’t for the buyout. I would rather have Red or GMAC. At least we can hope they can coach. We already know Hop can’t. His interim at SU was a total disaster and his last three years have been poor in a lousy conference.

Hop should be the break glass in case of emergency and the national search isn’t fruitful candidate.

Jason Hart is much more appealing if he would be interested. He links to the past while not be attached to the status quo.

Hop has shown at Washington he is going to go zone an overwhelming majority of the time.
He would be a safer choice than a current assistant but i really hope Wildhack understands the situation.
I’ve been thinking about the idea of Jason Hart ever since he was named a G League Ignite head coach and even when he was a USC assistant pulling in major recruits. The downside, though, is that most of his recruiting success has been from his LA and West Coast connections. Not to say he couldn’t hire experienced assistants with deep East Coast ties who know the terrain. But he would start behind the 8-ball. I’d love to see him get an interview when the time comes, especially if he demonstrates his chops as a head coach in the G League.

I’ve been thinking about the idea of Jason Hart ever since he was named a G League Ignite head coach and even when he was a USC assistant pulling in major recruits. The downside, though, is that most of his recruiting success has been from his LA and West Coast connections. Not to say he couldn’t hire experienced assistants with deep East Coast ties who know the terrain. But he would start behind the 8-ball. I’d love to see him get an interview when the time comes, especially if he demonstrates his chops as a head coach in the G League.
Hart isn’t anymore a gamble than Red or Hopkins. I just prefer him over the rest because he has clear upside.

I am not worried about Hart being able to recruit. I am more worried about him being interested in the job.

If our pool is only alums then we as a fanbase have overrated this job. If Wildhack’s pool is only alums I don’t get it.

Red, GMac should be non-starters because they would be continuation hires and unless we go 24-7 or 23-8 next year then continuation isn’t what we should want.
I laid out Hopkins resume.

We can and should expect a better candidate.

I'm not saying I want an internal candidate for the job, but most fans are underrating the chance that an outside hire will fail.

If the candidates are Hopkins, Autry, GMac.
It should be Autry all day long.
He is the only one who hasn’t been with just JB as his boss.

Hopkins has shown what he is. Solid but will fall back on the zone.
GMac isn’t even getting interviews for jobs he has been interested in.
Autry worked elsewhere before coming back and may actually try stuff that JB doesn’t use.

I think we are completely neglecting the chance the next hire may fail which is why hiring an alum isn’t appealing unless it was somebody like Jason Hart who gives off the ability to be optimistic and has upside.

The last 3 years have taken some shine away from Hop.

Autry worked elsewhere before coming back and may actually try stuff that JB doesn’t use.

I think we are completely neglecting the chance the next hire may fail which is why hiring an alum isn’t appealing unless it was somebody like Jason Hart who gives off the ability to be optimistic and has upside.

Best thing gmac could do is go be an assistant at another p5 program.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I get why we would hire Hop. He was our most consistent recruiter from 2001-2016 and he still has his contacts east. Hiring him with a bench coach would be the play IMO.

Autry and Gmac have never been on Hopkins level bringing in talent as far as I am concerned.

Shaka Smart and Archie Miller didn't work at Texas and Indiana. Everyone thought they were going to be elite. My only opinion here is an outside hire can fail just as much as an inside hire.

I'm not saying I want an internal candidate for the job, but most fans are underrating the chance that an outside hire will fail.
For me at least... I kinda don't care.

The objective isn't to find the next coach that delivers the total body of work of JB. That's an impossible standard.

NIL, portal... HC's have a different job now. I'd like us to try and identify a candidate that's best suited to navigating that reality, with the understanding that there's no guarantee of success of failure.

I just think there's less likelihood of success of we keep going down the current path.

I would rather chase some good outside candidates, but I think Syracuse sees a lot of value in keeping it in the family the same way we just saw Duke and UNC do and the same way many other programs do it. From that standpoint, Hopkins and Hart are the two that I would be most interested in and I'll be happy with either one of them.

At least that outside candidate can come from a very large pool of coaches with head coaching experience and likely a good amount of success, not a pool of 4 where none have had much(any?) success. Chance of making the right call sure seems like it would be easier without a hand tied behind your back.

I would rather chase some good outside candidates, but I think Syracuse sees a lot of value in keeping it in the family the same way we just saw Duke and UNC do and the same way many other programs do it. From that standpoint, Hopkins and Hart are the two that I would be most interested in and I'll be happy with either one of them.
Hart is definitely intriguing, but pulling his wife from California is going to be near impossible.

In this era of NIL and transfer portal, it's high-level program suicide to hire someone who won't 'play the game.' Not implying anything illegal, but NIL is a huge part of elite level talent recruiting pitches, and we've clearly stayed away from those types of players for a reason (see 2022 misses). If you want elite level talent, it takes an elite level recruiter, which no on on the current staff is.

Half the battle of a HC is getting the guys. Hop can do that. Skeptical on anyone else 'internal.'

I don't know any of these people personally, only what I see on TV and media. I don't have a clue as to how to best judge a coaching candidate other than what I see on TV and media.

But I sure as hell would like to know what Arizona saw in Tommy Lloyd, because that was a heckuva first season as a HC.

Hart is definitely intriguing, but pulling his wife from California is going to be near impossible.
Yeah, I have no inside info on it, but I figured he would probably be a tough one to get anyways.

Seton Hall just hired their 4 MAAC coach in a row.

You’re also at the mercy of whatever coaches are hot/available that cycle. A candidate could pop up over the next 8 months and he’s not even on our radar now

For me at least... I kinda don't care.

The objective isn't to find the next coach that delivers the total body of work of JB. That's an impossible standard.

NIL, portal... HC's have a different job now. I'd like us to try and identify a candidate that's best suited to navigating that reality, with the understanding that there's no guarantee of success of failure.

I just think there's less likelihood of success of we keep going down the current path.
If our candidates come down to Hop or a Kevin Willard type I would rather just go with Hop.

The coaching candidates for the Louisville and Maryland jobs told us a lot. It's not going to be as exciting a pool as people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom