What I'm hearing | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are JW wouldn't you go to Red and say hey if you want a shot at HC here you need to go out and get some HC experience? And also go to GMac and say you should get additional assistant coaching experience? If they are to grow as coaches they need to spread their wings. At the same time you force JB to hire outside assistants who can actually recruit and offer a different perspective. JB has lost the right to chose his assistants. If he doesn't like it don't let the door hit you.
Arizona and Texas Tech hired guys with zero HC experience. It happens at power 5 schools if they are good recruiters.

It’s a top half Pac-12 job.
It’s not Oregon State or Washington State.

You can get to a Final Four at Washington.
Last time that happened was the 50s so not really. Would need some kind of magical formula that no one has been able to figure out in the past 70 years. Almost had the formula with Nate Robinson and Brandon Roy but that was the one and only time they've ever been higher than a 4 seed in the tourney.

It’s a top half Pac-12 job.
It’s not Oregon State or Washington State.

You can get to a Final Four at Washington.
The Seattle community is way to globally cosmopolitan to get behind an up and coming college basketball coach. I'm sure the coaches at OSU and WSU are important in those communities and if winning, are celebrities. UW needs to open the bank for a top coach or an NBA coach for the people there to respect him enough to support him.

Last time that happened was the 50s so not really. Would need some kind of magical formula that no one has been able to figure out in the past 70 years. Almost had the formula with Nate Robinson and Brandon Roy but that was the one and only time they've ever been higher than a 4 seed in the tourney.
Washington was a 1 seed in 2005.
They lost to Louisville in the sweet 16 when Louisville was underseeded their last year in CUSA.
That Louisville team made the Final Four.

If you are JW wouldn't you go to Red and say hey if you want a shot at HC here you need to go out and get some HC experience? And also go to GMac and say you should get additional assistant coaching experience? If
first i'd say go out bring me in some top caliber talent this year . then go get yourself some cred elsewhere and do the same. only then do we talk . if you can't then i'm afraid i need to ask you both for your keys. NEXT !

Last edited:
first i'd say go out bring me in some top caliber talent . then go get some cred elsewhere and do the same.
only then do we talk .
First thing I would do during the interview would ask about the recruits they’ve brought in as an assistant. After seeing Gmacs list I’m not sure how he would even hold an assistant job after that question.

You have no clue what you’re talking about as per usual. I’m guessing you didn’t watch one game his first two and a half years in Washington when he and the team were doing well, otherwise you wouldn’t have made such a dumb comment.
There are people there, powerful people, undermining him and his staff.

I think that Hopkins could be much more successful at Syracuse than he has been at Washington.

I also think that limiting our search to the point where he is immediately the leading candidate is ridiculous.

Washington was a 1 seed in 2005.
They lost to Louisville in the sweet 16 when Louisville was underseeded their last year in CUSA.
That Louisville team made the Final Four.
Hence, why I mentioned the 1 year with Roy/Robinson in the history of the program that they were higher than a 4 seed. Didn't even make sense that they were a 1 since they peaked at #8 in the polls that year.

Give me one link to a post. Again, you’re insane and have no idea what your typing.
He lost the recruiting network in Seattle that UW has depended on as the foundation of it's program. It's not a coincidence. People play power games in the real world, apparently where you live everyone is completely transparent.

I'd like your take on the article about Mike Hopkins posted at the top of page 21 by Sherrman20. Maybe you haven't read it, because I would like someone you wants Mike as our head coach to comment on it. Not one poster that wants Hop as the choice will even make a comment. It's bizarre, the data is right there in black and white. So, convince me why the writer is wrong because he sure has me convinced that Hop should not be the choice .
I read it. It does not sway me much. I could argue that five years is too small a sample size. That's roughly 150 games and about 15-20 incoming players. But I won't. I'll concede that Hopkins tenure has lost some momentum. I hear you and understand a certain amount of trepidation.

I cannot offer you anything else about Hopkins that has not already been said. I don't insinuate that he is a John Wooden incarnate. I see him as a dynamic personality, a fit for out university and our town. He's in Washington because of JAB and his father. Neither scenario is ideal, but they are real and he cannot control their paths. His decision to leave SU could be critiqued for 100 more pages, but it was his own. It put him on a stage in a strange land. Yes, he crew up in Orange County in the late 1980s. That said, SoCal and Seattle are as similar as Boston and Atlanta on a Saturday in September.

I see Hopkins as a hustler (the right kind of hustler) with a terrific and healthy competitive streak (not far off his persona as a player). I see him as a great face to represent the program, the school and in the community. Say what you will, but that stuff does count in the real world. At least it does for organizations that care about their brand and how it is perceived from the outside (which every college should).

I see him as a 60-40 guy. His primary strength is getting talent (recruiting). That accounts for 60% of his profile. The other 40% is coaching. He's going going to need to improve here. But let's not act like he forgets to start five guys. He knows his stuff. He's gonna grow into it. Trial and error. He's a smart guy who been exposed to some terrific teachers/leaders through JAB, Coach K and USA Basketball, so I expect growth and enhanced flexibility. (Side note: I saw a study once that said a MLB manager is directly responsible for 1-3 wins a 162-game season. I don't know if I believe that to the hilt, but perhaps one's game strategy in a dugout or bench is a bit overrated by most sports fans. Just food for thought).

Everyone here gets their panties in a wad because they think he'll be JAB 2.0. Nonsense. For 20 years, Hopkins was employed at SU because he was the opposite of JAB. He was personable. He deeply and quickly connected with current players, program alumni, recruits, families and AAU/HS coaches. We need that most of the time, maybe less so in season (practice) and on game days. This is how the game is evolving. It will be interesting to see how Hopkins evolves during his second gig, ... on his proper stage, at the Dome.

Lastly, don't forget, he is not exactly going to be coaching against Louie, Big John, Calhoun and Gary Williams twice a week either. There are not many tacticians left in the game. Bill Self is a good one. Say what you will, JAB has been top 3-5 in this realm for about 30 straight years, with last year 2021-22 being an exception. But the point is, the college coaching ranks largely stink, so I am really not worried about how Hopkins will stack up against Steve Forbes, Brad Barnwell or Josh Pastner.

Last edited:
hopkins will be 53 this year. (born in aug 69) . not exactly a spring chicken for a new hire.

I read it. It does not sway me much. I could argue that five years is too small a sample size. That's roughly 150 games and about 15-20 incoming players. But I won't. I;'ll concede that Hopkins tenure has lost some momentum. I hear you and understand a certain amount of trepidation.

I cannot offer you anything else about Hopkins that has not already been said. I don't insinuate that he is a John Wooden incarnate. I see him as a dynamic personality, a fit for out university and our town. He's in Washington because of JAB and his father. Neither scenario is ideal, but they are real and he cannot control their paths. His decision to leave SU could be critiqued for 100 more pages, but it was his own. It put him on a stage in a strange land. Yes, he crew up in Orange County in the late 1980s. That said, SoCal and Seattle are as similar as Boston and Atlanta on a Saturday in September.

I see Hopkins as a hustler (the right kind of hustler) with a terrific and healthy competitive streak (not far off his persona as a player). I see him as a great face to represent the program, the school and in the community. Say what you will, but that stuff does count in the real world. At least it does for organizations that care about their brand and how it is perceived from the outside (which every college should).

I see him as a 60-40 guy. His primary strength is getting talent (recruiting). That accounts for 60% of his profile. The other 40% is coaching. He's going going to need to improve here. But let's not act like he forgets to start five guys. He knows his stuff. He's gonna grow into it. Trial and error. He's a smart guy who been exposed to some terrific teachers/leaders through JAB, Coach K and USA Basketball, so I expect growth and enhanced flexibility. (Side note: I saw a study once that said a MLB manager is directly responsible for 1-3 wins a 162-game season. I don't know if I believe that to the hilt, but perhaps one's game strategy in a dugout or bench is a bit overrated by most sports fans. Just food for thought).

Everyone here gets their panties in a wad because they think he'll be JAB 2.0. Nonsense. For 20 years, Hopkins was employed at SU because he was the opposite of JAB. He was personable. He deeply and quickly connected with current players, program alumni, recruits, families and AAU/HS coaches. We need that most of the time, maybe less so in season (practice) and on game days. This is how the game is evolving. It will be interesting to see how Hopkins evolves during his second gig, ... on his proper stage, at the Dome.

Lastly, don't forget, he is not exactly going to be coaching against Louie, Big John, Calhoun and Gary Williams twice a week either. There are not many tacticians left in the game. Bill Self is a good one. Say what you will, JAB has been top 3-5 in this realm for about 30 straight years, with last year 2021-22 being an exception. But the point is, the college coaching ranks largely stinks, so I am really not worried about how Hopkins will stack up against Steve Forbes, Bard Barnwell or Josh Pastner.
Good points, but you can run great offense and play defense but you still have to have a feel for the moment. Can he recognize what’s working or not and on the fly? Can he see things happening and adjust? I’m not sure he’s shown the ability to do this. That’s my concern.

In my opinion, the argument you're attempting to make is rather weak, and not convincing.

As a lifelong Cleveland Browns fan, I wouldn't insinuate that Belichick floundered, etc. at his first gig. Prior to Belichick getting to Cleveland, the Browns came off a dismal 3-13 record. After his first season, he had back to back 7-9 seasons in a division where the Steelers and Houston Oilers were playoff teams. As many folks who follow the NFL closely realize, there's not much difference between a 7-9 team v. a 9-7 one, or a 6-10 team v. a 10-6 one. A play here, a fumble there, a missed call/bad call in critical moments, specific/crucial injuries to key players, etc.

In his 4th season, Belichick had the Browns at 11-5 and in the playoffs. They won their first playoff game that year as well. Prior to that '94 playoff season, the Browns hadn't been in the playoffs since '89. After that '94 season, the Browns have only been to the playoffs twice, in '02 and last year.

Unlike Hop (third straight season missing the Dance) Belichick had the Browns headed in the right direction each year he was there prior to '95. Prior to that '95 season, many prognosticators predicted the Browns to make the Superbowl that year. Well, once wind got caught about that dirtbag Modell moving the team to Baltimore, and it became formally announced in early November of that year, it was practically impossible for the coaches, players, the city of Cleveland and its huge metro area to focus on the actual games. It was, and still to this day a complete nightmare.
What argument am I making? I'm just stating facts. Apparently the facts give you discomfort for some reason. You sound just like all the Browns fans I went to college with that always had to rationalize how their team was the greatest despite all of the facts to the contrary.

bill self was a new HC in '93.
53 isn't that old, by today's standards.

Have a good 10-15 years by the time he's considered "old". Bill Self is 59 - is he too old to hire?
i mean comparatively to the oldest coach in history 53 is young. but it ain't . got about 5 years to fogey.
if you'r looking for young and energetic . this is not your guy. more pickle ball than badminton.

(hopkins is .527 as a head coach. which is good by this years standards )

Last edited:
we're on the same page. I cannot believe that people see it any other way at this point.

I want to like Hop...like the article says likable guy, hard nosed competitive player etc...

BUT this is about WINNING...who will be a winner? who will lead the program to success?

if the question was who can look like the coach and act like the coach in press conferences and be likable then sure...

wow you must think so lowly of red and gmac...i wouldnt take hop 1 out of 100 if those were the three options.
Despite his struggles, I still think Hop would be an infinitely better choice than Gmac and probably Red too. If you’ve ever talked to or heard these guys speak, you can see the difference immediately. Hop is not only vastly more experienced as a coach, he’s a natural leader, better communicator, can command a room and has a vision for how to succeed. Plus I don’t see Gmac or Red blowing anyone away with their strategic acumen, though Gmac has at least shown the ability to articulate game strategy in his media appearances. All that said, as fans we’re operating more in the dark than the decision makers, so who knows.

here's what big

i mean comparatively to the oldest coach in history 53 is young. but it ain't . got about 5 years to fogey.
So what is young enough to hire for you then... 45? 50?

Nate Oats is 47, he'll be 48 when (I hope) we start looking for a head coach. Hubert Davis is 51. Two years younger than Hop. He was hired last year.

53 ain't old - and even so, if Hop's the guy he'd be here until he's mid-upper 60's minimum. That's 15 years. Plenty long enough for a coaching tenure.

The McDaniels family have been bad mouthing him claiming he mishandled jaden. They have two kids in the nba and have many local aau relationships. Jaden was a head case and was not a good player. He couldn't even shoot a jump shot and hop honestly protected him more than he should have which is the irony. Hop has not been here long enough and didn't have good enough relationship to with stand it. It really hurt him recruiting Seattle. He also has crappy assistants which is on him. That is his issue.
Thanks for that insight. At least those assistants have been replaced.

Choosing good assistants is key to a head coach’s success. Not good at all if his judgement is actually lacking regarding assistants that can evaluate recruits, misjudges the value of their recruiting connections and ability to develop players over time.
Hop had a tough go of it. He’d planned to hire Jason Hart, which would have been a home run, but couldn’t pry him away from USC when the AD gave him a big raise there. I think he was also looking at Tony Bland, probably dodged a bullet there. The guys he did hire had Seattle and West Coast ties. Hop’s unfamiliarity with the West Coast recruiting scene and the coaches and contacts out there really hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom